Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? (4594 Views)

Woman Bathes Husband With Hot Water Over Breakfast / Wife Bathes Husband With Hot Water For Sleeping With Her Mother (Graphic Pics) / How Do I Make People Stop Addressing Me This Way? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 5:58am On Jul 12, 2013
Should a wife address her with sir and why if yes or no?

1 Like

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by greatgod2012(f): 6:05am On Jul 12, 2013
And what is wrong with it if they are both comfortable with it.

Did Sarah not call Abraham "my Lord"
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by EfemenaXY: 6:11am On Jul 12, 2013
bengreat: Should a wife address her with sir and why if yes or no?

Sounds formal, but if it works for them, then why not?

It just a matter of choice. Afterall, one man's meat....and all that
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 6:27am On Jul 12, 2013
Well, Am not a fan of the 'Sir' concept. Would only see it get braced by some materialistic Nigerian husbands.

Aint that Silly? ''Sir ve Passed ur meal'' ''Sir u had a Visitor'' ''Sir Can I join In the bed'' Oh!

I wish to enjoy some sort of equality with my wife - equality that'd have defined boundaries. Am not married to a housemaid.

Nothing beats giving ur wife that reassuring feeling that u're her Husband and her Bestfriend, not her husband and her Boss!

4 Likes

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 6:40am On Jul 12, 2013
greatgod2012: And what is wrong with it if they are both comfortable with it.

Did Sarah not call Abraham "my Lord"

How awful to draw up a B.C analogy In a 21st Century discourse.

Within the time frame, we've had 2 World wars, Hitler's Nazism era, a gulf war, Berlin Wall fall, Brazil winning the world Cup 5times and many more...

Norms, Ideas and Cultures have Changed dear.

1 Like

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by k2039: 7:18am On Jul 12, 2013
El Guapo: Well, Am not a fan of the 'Sir' concept. Would only see it get braced by some materialistic Nigerian husbands.
You are very funny and I marvel at the way you think in the 21st Century.
How is Sir synonymous to being materialistic. That you are not a fan doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

Aint that Silly? ''Sir ve Passed ur meal'' ''Sir u had a Visitor'' ''Sir Can I join In the bed'' Oh!
And it never occured to you that the husband could be addressing the wife as MA also, and if not, if she os comfortable with it, no big deal. All that happens is her happiness in the marriage and if she is happy, it matters less whether she is addressing him as Sir or not.
Besides the age difference between the husband and wife could be massive and it could be the wife's idea to address her husband as Sir because she just doesn't feel comfortable with the age difference.

I wish to enjoy some sort of equality with my wife - equality that'd have defined boundaries. Am not married to a housemaid.
If you want some equality with you wife, if she addresses you as Sir, address her as Ma, no problem, equation is balanced that way.

Nothing beats giving ur wife that reassuring feeling that u're her Husband and her Bestfriend, not her husband and her Boss!
Pointless, my best friend male addresses me as Sir and I address him to back as Sir, that's how we address everyone, we have accustomed our self to it. So does that mean we are each other's boss.

Addressing you husband as Sir just signifies respect and if the husband respond back as Ma it signifies mutual respect.
Haven't you head of husbands addressing their wives as 'mummy wa' and wives responding bac as 'daddy wa'
Whatever works for each family is what they should adopt, that you don't like it doesn't mean is wrong.

For the records, I prefer calling my wife by her name and she also calling me by my name.

6 Likes

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 7:44am On Jul 12, 2013
k2039: You are very funny and I marvel at the way you think in the 21st Century.
How is Sir synonymous to being materialistic. That you are not a fan doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

Only an Insecured husband would be ever ready to gulp down those 'Sir' treatments. And If u're yet to know, Insecurity has a thing with Low Self esteem and finally being Materialistic.

They'd be glad to be addressed 'Sir' Just to feel better.

k2039: And it never occured to you that the husband could be addressing the wife as MA also, and if not, if she os comfortable with it, no big deal. All that happens is her happiness in the marriage and if she is happy, it matters less whether she is addressing him as Sir or not.

You're already sounding like a Stone age Marriage counsellor.

How a young couple would engage In 'Sir and Ma' salutations - Is that supposed to draw what Impression? That both has got much respect for eachother?

U're digging tis wrongly Mister.

k2039: Besides the age difference between the husband and wife could be massive and it could be the wife's idea to address her husband as Sir because she just doesn't feel comfortable with the age difference.

This is the only logical point u've made.

Even at that, Insecurity creeps into this. Do u get to see a Western Wife call the Elderly husband 'Sire' Jxt to divulge respect?

k2039: If you want some equality with you wife, if she addresses you as Sir, address her as Ma, no problem, equation is balanced that way.

Well, am not Insecured!

I wouldnt allow my wife address me as 'Sir' - We've got better measures for the equality principle!

k2039: Pointless, my best friend male addresses me as Sir and I address him to back as Sir, that's how we address everyone, we have accustomed our self to it. So does that mean we are each other's boss.

Addressing you husband as Sir just signifies respect and if the husband respond back as Ma it signifies mutual respect.

How far do u go to define 'Respect'?

If Its by mere 'Sir' salutations, u traverse on an obsolete Ideology that is reserved for rural dwellers.

k2039: Haven't you head of husbands addressing their wives as 'mummy wa' and wives responding bac as 'daddy wa'
Whatever works for each family is what they should adopt, that you don't like it doesn't mean is wrong.

Draw a fine line btw 'Daddy' and 'Sir'.

Do U get to address ur 30yrs old Madam at the office as 'Mummy'?

k2039: For the records, I prefer calling my wife by her name and she also calling me by my name.

And here u are dumping the School of thought u've given u all.

Too bad!

2 Likes

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 12, 2013
Whatever rocks each person's boat. cool
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by k2039: 8:08am On Jul 12, 2013
El Guapo, Do you reside in Nigeria(my guess is that you are outside it shores).
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 12, 2013
k2039: El Guapo, Do you reside in Nigeria(my guess is that you are outside it shores).

Well, I was born and bred In Nigeria, though i've tasted the western Life abit too.

One thing Is phenomenal about my Nigerian personality, I refuse to think Nigerian - Such mentality leads one to an early grave cheesy

We're too conformed to Outdated norms and Values, its not helping things. Some mantras have to be paid less attention.

Marriage Is supposed to be an institution where a two would be on same level, drifting away from that Philosophy would only make for what I deem an 'Unbalanced Union'.

God bless whoever Initiated the pet names In marriages.

1 Like

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 12, 2013
its more of a cultural thing bc u will still c d same woman addressing every other grown up male as sir. Infact I was always ashamed whenever an elderly person use such title for me.I've talked and talked.found out its inbreed.I hv even joined.there is nothing wrong with it although I've seen some men that super impose it on their wives to do so.
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by k2039: 10:04am On Jul 12, 2013
yellowpawpaw: its more of a cultural thing bc u will still c d same woman addressing every other grown up male as sir. Infact I was always ashamed whenever an elderly person use such title for me.I've talked and talked.found out its inbreed.I hv even joined.there is nothing wrong with it although I've seen some men that super impose it on their wives to do so.
I quite disagree with those who super impose it on their wives, those are who El Guapo discribe as people suffering from low self esteem, which I quite agree with him.

But if a woman solely chose to call her husband Sir, then that's just hpw she wants to address her hubby and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and I quite agree with you that it's inbreed for some, that's how they address other people.
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 12, 2013
There is just something silly about it,i suppose the sir also applies during lovemaking.This is 21st century joor,the sir thing just doesn't fly it for me.
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 12, 2013
I think a wife addressing her husband as "sir" comes across as less than companionable. It's almost like the husband is wielding the whip, demanding respect (even if the "sir" wasn't his idea). And the wife comes across as a doormat. The opinions above are mine, others may well see things differently.

If my wife ever called me "sir", I would ignore her. I don't even like being called "sir" by younger family / non-family members.
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Pataki: 11:10am On Jul 12, 2013
If it floats their boat, goodluck. cool

I won't tolerate it from my wife. She can't even do that anyways!

The one I cannot stand the most is when married couples call themselves ''daddy'' and ''mummy''. undecided

1 Like

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by kreamidiva(f): 11:50am On Jul 12, 2013
Marriage is usually sweeter when u're married to ur friend that u can call difft names than when u're married to ur boss! Some of these chiefs in rural areas see it as a mark of respect from their lolos.it boosts their self-esteem n self-worth.

It doesn't work for me.
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by bukatyne(f): 12:29pm On Jul 12, 2013
byvan: There is just something silly about it,i suppose the sir also applies during lovemaking.This is 21st century joor,the sir thing just doesn't fly it for me.

You eh! what took your mind there?

'sir, take it eassy! Daddy wa, daaadddy waaaaaa, DADDDDDDDDDY WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!'

3 Likes

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 12, 2013
My sister follow me imagine the sir kpekusing scenario, e dey casted nah@Bukatyne.
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
My grandma did it with my grandpa then and I wondered at the level of their closeness(not very close jare) My aunt who is a prof. calls her husband Ade and he calls her Nike- both of them are in their seventies and very close cheesy they have children and grandchildren o. Mind you, I have seen prof. go down on her knees for her husband on several occasions.

Respect is nice btw husband and wife but the sir/ma is kind of over the top.

1 Like

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by baby124: 2:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
byvan: My sister follow me imagine the sir kpekusing scenario, e dey casted nah@Bukatyne.
grin grin grin

Op,
whatever makes them happy. When i suddenly start doing that, he knows there is a scam coming up. I need something be that. cheesy
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by juman(m): 9:11pm On Jul 12, 2013
If the husband is a king or sort of.

Or may be there is relatively big age difference.
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by EfemenaXY: 9:15pm On Jul 12, 2013
bukatyne:

You eh! what took your mind there?

'sir, take it eassy! Daddy wa, daaadddy waaaaaa, DADDDDDDDDDY WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!'

Eeeek!!

Now that's just plain nasty sad lipsrsealed
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 12, 2013
As long as it is mutual,that's cool.whenever my dad calls my mon,she says sir and whenever my mom calls my dad,he says ma.its only when its not mutual and the respect is not mutual that I will have a problem with

1 Like

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by armyofone(m): 10:02pm On Jul 12, 2013
lol my mom too.
You will hear them:

Dad: Dear
Mom: Sir
Mom: Dear
Dad: Yes

we the children grew up answering sir to my dad.
I stopped answering sir when I left naija. When I visit and he calls me, hauwa, I say yes dad grin

kulyie: As long as it is mutual,that's cool.whenever my dad calls my mon,she says sir and whenever my mom calls my dad,he says ma.its only when its not mutual and the respect is not mutual that I will have a problem with

1 Like

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by juman(m): 10:10pm On Jul 12, 2013
Well sha, addressing sir to husband is funny.
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jul 12, 2013
armyofone: lol my mom too.
You will hear them:

Dad: Dear
Mom: Sir
Mom: Dear
Dad: Yes

we the children grew up answering sir to my dad.
I stopped answering sir when I left naija. When I visit and he calls me, hauwa, I say yes dad grin

lol they were just trying to be an example to us so we will follow suit.mireover am use to calling them sir and ma
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 12, 2013
El Guapo: Well, Am not a fan of the 'Sir' concept. Would only see it get braced by some materialistic Nigerian husbands.

God bless you kiss.... Right on point.
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 13, 2013

1 Like

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by EfemenaXY: 7:34am On Jul 13, 2013
chaircover: People should mind their own biz and face their own marriages rather than dictating what other people should do in theirs. if it works for them, if they like they can call each other commander, field marshall, my lord, master wharreva

. . .whatever floats their boat . . . bottomline is are they both happy? If they are happy, then wetin concern agbero with overload? who are we to tell then how to run their homes and what to call each other?

Lol!! CC dey vex grin grin

Babes, you've given me some kinky ideas here! Field Marshal? Commander? Lord-master? Superintendent?? cheesy cheesy

I must try those ones out this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions and tips CC!! cool
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 13, 2013

1 Like

Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by EfemenaXY: 8:00am On Jul 13, 2013
chaircover:

LOL efe . . . .abi ooooooo

some of these names are used in role play in bedroom and some people are only looking at it from a myopic view and condemning.

Where is my commanding Officer jare . . .reporting for duty . . SIR!!!!! cool

daddy daddy cool . . .daddy daddy cool . . . hums to Bonny M . . . lipsrsealed grin

Lol!! cheesy
Re: Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"? by obowunmi(m): 8:22am On Jul 13, 2013
I want Slimyem to call me king.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Checkout This Adorable Photos Of Sleeping Twins. / Find Out Yourself If Your Infant's Weight Is Normal / Why Do Men Want To Eat Their Cake And Have It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.