Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,244 members, 7,815,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft (17391 Views)

National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister / Ethiopian To Become The First International Carrier To Fly To Enugu, Nigeria / National Carrier To Commence Operations In September 2013: Aviation Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jul 12, 2013
4 Play: If there were sound business reasons for establishing a national carrier, why is the Govt getting involved in the minutiae of setting this up?

Arik, any of the other local operators or an entirely new private sector owned local airline can function as one if there was a business need for this.

It shows the desperation of a government who's not concerned about creating an enabling envirnment for business to triumph but only interested in setting up a national carrier since Ghana, Ethiopia,Kenya,South Africa and other African countries do have theirs which Nigeria must follow suit considering her position as the Giant of Africa.
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Acelifted: 12:32pm On Jul 12, 2013
Among the aircraft types that would be operated by the national airline include Embraer, Bombardier and Boeing.

Boeing again? with all the kata-kata that aircraft has being causing around the globe? abeg ooo.
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by dolphinife: 12:33pm On Jul 12, 2013
can you people now see that i've been vindicated. I've said it several times that the minister of aviation is the most clueless individual i've ever seen in my life. in 2012, march to be precise, she mooted the idea of having a national flag carrier and that the carrier would be operational by June last year. When we got to June, she changed it till december and that's the more reason she constructed that GAT TERMINAL so that the carrier could start from there.

September last year, she changed gear again that the project might not be feasible for now, and that Nigeria want to make Arik air the flag carrier. We waited from September last year till march this year again. Then the goal post was changed once more, another idea was mooted by this same clueless minister that the whole airline in Nigeria would be crashed together and they would start the national carrier.

Then unfortunately, we heard her saying that a national carrier would start by september this year again. i questioned the rationale behind her assertions and how it wouldn't be feasible to have a carrier at that short period. some asslickers here on nairaland started condemning us that whatever the minister says, will definitely be the truth. Now, another round of lies has been told. The carrier wouldn't start by september again, but by end of next year. All this strategy is called DELAY TACTICS in which you buy yourself time and space so that by next year ending, they would use the national carrier project as electioneering campaign.

1 Like

Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by barrybanbi: 12:40pm On Jul 12, 2013
ugojamali: Why is nairaland filled with over zealous kids who don't read posts properly before commenting. The post clearly states that the federal government will not invest money in the carrier and will only own a limited stake in it. It will practically be driven by private investors.

So the issue here is getting the so called private partners not FG wasting her money!!!!

how do you own a stake in a business without putting money into it? it seem to me ua the over zealous kid that can't add 1 + 1 together.
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Ess: 12:51pm On Jul 12, 2013
Lilimax:
You've made your point agreed but the level of abusing your
elder this way shows your height of irresponsibility.
Refrain from this angry

Elders are known for being honest. Simple you turn yourself into an abusing stock by shying away from the truth and responsibilities.
Shame on how the Govt takes us as fools that can decide to feed us with all sorts of tactics just to deceives us!
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by naijaswag1: 12:52pm On Jul 12, 2013
They better acquire 20 brand new planes than 50 second new that will crash land everywhere.
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Cyberknight: 12:53pm On Jul 12, 2013
Acelifted:

Boeing again? with all the kata-kata that aircraft has being causing around the globe? abeg ooo.

How many aircraft manufacturers do you think there are in the world? Boeing manufactures the world's best selling airliner, the 737, and the first ever wide body airplane, the 747. Only Boeing and Airbus manufacture long-range passenger aircraft, unless you want a Russian product from UABC, with manuals and customer support in Russian, so you have to keep calling them back (c.f. Ajaokuta).
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by emitope: 12:59pm On Jul 12, 2013
naija_swag: They better acquire 20 brand new planes than 50 second new that will crash land everywhere.
Exactly! The era of wasting Nigerian lives shd b ova now....if we wanna do smtn, let's do it d best way possible!
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jul 12, 2013
ujchief: I didn't bother reading the entire epistle. I just read the first paragraph which states that the airplanes will be delivered before the end of next year!

Datz all!
f
GEJ and his handlers,....and their blind ambition for 2015.
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by jmoore(m): 1:02pm On Jul 12, 2013
From Nigeria Airways to Virgin Nigeria then to Air Nigeria, now we have Nigeria One.
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Fadenitan(m): 1:36pm On Jul 12, 2013
Nairalander,very funing pple,most of d comments are making my day,i will laugh & laugh.More useless comment pls.
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 12, 2013
to hell with you jimoh Ibrahim for grounding Air Nigeria spending and diverting the 36 billion naira govt intervention fund and making me and my colleagues jobless lets see what this national carrier has in store .
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by amAZEing: 2:02pm On Jul 12, 2013
Lovely

Mekky2010: National Carrier to Begin Operations with 50 Aircraft

Stella Oduah, Aviation Minister

Chinedu Eze

The federal government and its private investor partners may have concluded that the new national carrier, known as Nigeria One, would start operation with 50 aircraft that would be delivered before the end of next year.

Among the aircraft types that would be operated by the national airline include Embraer, Bombardier and Boeing.

THISDAY gathered from authoritative sources on Wednesday that while Embraer short haul aircraft types would be used for domestic operations, medium haul Bombardier would be used for regional services and Boeing planes would be used for long haul international flights.
All these aircraft would be delivered from the manufacturers, but it is not known yet whether they would be leased or they would be acquired by outright purchase.

As government is planning on how to establish the airline, it is also brainstorming on route development and THISDAY learnt that right now the body set out to establish the airline is meeting with some airlines for possible code share and other partnership with the future airlines, and in recognition of this the federal government is streamlining its bilateral service agreements with individual countries, aware that it would soon have its national carrier.

As the Ministry of Aviation has reiterated, the federal government does not intend and will not fund the establishment of the airline as it has designed an arrangement where the airline would be funded on public private partnership (PPP).

The private sector will drive the airline while government intends to own less than 25 per cent equity while significant percentage of the equity would be sold to the core investor, which is an international carrier, that will also influence the establishment of a maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO facility) that would be completed shortly after the take-off of the national carrier.

THISDAY learnt that an international carrier from the Middle East has indicated interest to partner the airlines and an international business tycoon may put his money in the airline as a significant investor.

In spite of the bleak history of airline operation in Nigeria and the failed Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Nigeria partnership, the plan to attract foreign investors for the new national carrier attracted surprising enthusiasm from overseas.

This is attributed to the burgeoning air transport market in Nigeria, which an insider from one of the major airlines said would explode when effective and consistent competition crashed the fares to domestic destinations, “which a successful national carrier will do.”

The source told THISDAY, “We have concluded plans to acquire 50 aircraft. Yes, it is good to start small but we don’t want to do that; we want to hit the ground running because we know the market is there. I know that it will surprise you to know that an international airline from the Middle East has invested in the national carrier together with other rich investors from outside Nigeria. Our strategy is that it will be operated on PPP. FG is not investing any money but will not have many shares.”

On how organisations and individuals are investing in the new airline, the source said, “What we are doing is that we are selling shares on paper until the company is incorporated and the shares are being sold in percentages. After buying the shares you will then know the authorised shares.”

Many Nigerians are sceptical about the planned national carrier; very few are giving it the chance to succeed due to hind sight, including the parlous history of Nigerian Airways, but the source told THISDAY that such cynicism was to be expected because “It is a typical Nigerian attitude because of the people that ran organisations aground in the past. They lacked expertise and they did not want to seek expertise. They were not really sincere but this one is different.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/national-carrier-to-begin-operations-with-50-aircraft/153099/
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by vivaciousvivi(f): 2:08pm On Jul 12, 2013
thoth:

Please who are this private investor partners and what is their share in the whole deal? what is the FG investing and what are the Private Investors Investing ? we need numbers and information.
It will just be like the telecom and power sectors where the FG provides 90% or more of the capital and the company runs and takes 95% of the revenues.

The Private Investors will remain nameless as its always the case. The future Managing Director will just be a guinea pig and errand boy for them. As regards ownership share - 75% from what I could deduce. It sounds like another failure in the making to me. Tell me, what is so different with this operational model and the one they had with Richard Branson? When the government of a so called Oil Rich State can neither fund, no properly own and manage their own national carrier, then there is doom in the horizon. Anyway sha, let me not be too pessimistic. 2014 Ba? We are all watching.............

1 Like

Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by adconline(m): 2:08pm On Jul 12, 2013
Another waste of public funds even with 25% investment. Why the fascination with National Carier? Why not build power plants to power Naija. Naija Airways and Virgin failed, what makes this one different?
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by jjcbuthot: 2:20pm On Jul 12, 2013
Funny...

Some guys are setting up a business for themselves with FG money. Let them go ahead, we will collect back...
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by supaeagles(m): 2:23pm On Jul 12, 2013
omonnakoda:
Nigeria that borrowed $2billion this week will buy 50 aircraft next year . .....
Well this plane is going to be washed very well and second hand engines installed ..... in the end we shall have a correct plane .... Up Nigeria One airlines ..... smiley

1 Like

Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 12, 2013
ujchief: I didn't bother reading the entire epistle. I just read the first paragraph which states that the airplanes will be delivered before the end of next year!

Datz all!
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 12, 2013
my broda this thing tire me O! what fits naija as president is hardcore DEVIL AND DEMONS AS GOVERNOR ALL FROM HELL FIRE..nothing will one do to ever please nigerians. tufiakwa! but they need result now now now. and they cn not even keep ordinary rule of obeying the traffic, not throwing gabbage on the road n streets, package ur home waste n dispose in nylon bag, etc...all these little common sense right way of life, they can't follow it, but they want a magical leadership which wayward followership.
rozayx5:

you take action they talk , you dont take they stiill talk

Nigerian's the hardest set of people to please in this world
SMH

1 Like

Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by kedukc(m): 3:00pm On Jul 12, 2013
NNMUU: I don't like the name "Nigeria one".
I would have preferred Nigeria Airways...... Either way good news though

they for jus call am "One Naijeria"
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by RabboniX(m): 3:03pm On Jul 12, 2013
It worries me that a lot of Nigerians rush to comment without reading what they are commenting on...its a really disturbing trend,how can someone just type trash just for typing sake?

The news report is very explicit,no need for stupid talk...its a step in the right direction and the FG should be commended
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jul 12, 2013
i hope out f the money they will use to buy the plane they will keep some money to pay workers that will work for Nigeria one
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by supaeagles(m): 3:13pm On Jul 12, 2013
Instead of 50 planes, Nigeria One airlines should start with 5 planes and then expand from there based on performance and demand.
Anyways, this 50 plane proposal will never materialize.
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Peterwins(m): 3:26pm On Jul 12, 2013
The federal government and its private investor partners may have concluded that the new national carrier, known as Nigeria One, would start operation with 50 aircraft that would be delivered before the end of next year.

This is simply over-trading.

Overtrading is a term in financial statement analysis. Overtrading often occurs when companies expand their own operations too quickly (aggressively).[1] Overtraded companies enter a negative cycle, where an increase in interest expenses negatively impacts net profit, which leads to lesser working capital, and that leads to increased borrowings, which in turn leads to more interest expenses and the cycle continues. Overtraded companies eventually face liquidity problems and/or run out of working capital. source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtrading
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Rhea(f): 3:27pm On Jul 12, 2013
[size=15pt]50 aircrafts grin grin. We are waiting. We are also waiting for the refurbished refineries, the 24 hrs power, the rail line from the north, the end of boko haram and the 2nd niger bridge. 50 aircrafts grin grin cheesy cheesy. We are waiting cheesy cheesy grin grin[/size]
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Samabu07(m): 3:28pm On Jul 12, 2013
A boeing should go for $200m. For 50 aircraft it would gulp a whooping $10bn. There should be discount to that amount.
The question is, would Nigeria create this aviation n other related jobs for 85% of her citizens? Is this huge spending worth it.
GEj signed a $1.1b deal with China that would see to 4 New Airports created. Won't this national carrier liquidate in the future? We should use our resources wisely. Nigerians deserves a fair treatment.
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by courage89(m): 4:07pm On Jul 12, 2013
When are we going learn that our government have no business in running private enterprises. They are not going to run the business efficiently and effectively. Whats wrong with the government just creating enabling environment for these private companies to thrive.
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by Billionaires: 4:14pm On Jul 12, 2013
Samabu07: A boeing should go for $200m. For 50 aircraft it would gulp a whooping $10bn. There should be discount to that amount.
The question is, would Nigeria create this aviation n other related jobs for 85% of her citizens? Is this huge spending worth it.
GEj signed a $1.1b deal with China that would see to 4 New Airports created. Won't this national carrier liquidate in the future? We should use our resources wisely. Nigerians deserves a fair treatment.

You are the only person I have to respond to, cos it seems you can spell correctly, meaning you've got something up there. Now, Nigeria One is largely financed by international consortium, the government retains approx. 25% ownership for regulative purpose. We have just signed a deal of $1.1b, which is part of a $3b loan from China on a 3% APR with moratorium of 25yrs. This is the best credit facility ever. Highly commendable.

Judging by the comments on Nairaland, its best to say, that this forum is no more a place for people with discerning minds, but a gathering of mentally lacking never-do-wells. I feel ashamed that the Mods and SuperMod have allowed this site to degenerate thus far, instead of deleting monika of mentally disabled commentators.

3 Likes

Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by omonnakoda: 4:28pm On Jul 12, 2013
The truth of the matter is this is Fiction fantasy and falsehood so there is nothing to analyse.Really.
We are being told that an "investor" is going to spend over $8 billion buying aircraft insetting up an airline and the Fg will put up maybe another $3 billion . of course there will be other costs involved so the whole thing will be at least $15 billion. Firstly Nigeria does NOT have $3 billion and all the money the Chinese are lending us is not cash they are not that stupid.In fact they are very smart people.They are lending us money for projects that will be executed by "CHINESE COMPANIES" Chinese engineers etc and if we are not careful Chinese cement,in short most of that money will never leave China !! That is how they have delivered projects across Africa whilst boosting their employment and technical expertise. If only our leaders were that clued up.

Anyway back to National carrier,lol who has $12 billion dollars anywhere in the world these days. There are a few such entities but NONE stupid enough to put that kind of money in Nigeria except maybe in oil and gas.Is there any airline anywhere that has started with 50 aircraft. Nigeria we funny sha! We will believe anything
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by dolphinife: 4:38pm On Jul 12, 2013
I thought the airline is going to start operations by september this year. Moreover, what do you know about airline management?

Billionaires:

You are the only person I have to respond to, cos it seems you can spell correctly, meaning you've got something up there. Now, Nigeria One is largely financed by international consortium, the government retains approx. 25% ownership for regulative purpose. We have just signed a deal of $1.1b, which is part of a $3b loan from China on a 3% APR with moratorium of 25yrs. This is the best credit facility ever. Highly commendable.

Judging by the comments on Nairaland, its best to say, that this forum is no more a place for people with discerning minds, but a gathering of mentally lacking never-do-wells. I feel ashamed that the Mods and SuperMod have allowed this site to degenerate thus far, instead of deleting monika of mentally disabled commentators.
Re: National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft by denony(m): 4:54pm On Jul 12, 2013
THE PROBLEM OF NIGERIA IS NIGERIANS

WHY IS IT THAT WE DON'T APPRECIATE ANYTHING IN THIS COUNTRY
IT'S TRUE THAT OUR RULERS/LEADERS (NAIJA) HAS FAILED US MANY TIMES FOR THEIR SELFISH INTERESTS
BUT LET'S JUST THINK AND ACT POSITIVELY TOWARDS THIS NATION CALLED NIGERIA

I'VE OBSERVED A LOT OF TIMES THAT MATTERS CONCERNING THIS COUNTRY HAS NEVER BEEN TAKEN SERIOUS OR TREATED POLITELY BY MY FELLOW NAIRALANDERS (NIGERIANS)

PLEASE ENCOURAGE AND SUPPORT OUR LEADERS TO MOVE THIS GREAT NATION FORWARD.
LETS HELP OUR LEADERS TO BUILD A BETTER TOMORROW

*POSITIVE*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Olisa Metuh To Appear In Court Today / Supporters, Voters Chase Politicians Away From Polling Units In Bauchi / Femi Adesina: The Buhari The International Community Knows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.