Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward (34318 Views)

Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) / Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by SwTonia(f): 11:49pm On Jul 31, 2013
Hmmmm dat finding x in d outside world
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jul 31, 2013
Chibenze: As am writing dis post now am currently study mathematics in the university, personally i dnt believe their is no job (no matter the course you are studying), i would have given u fews reason to the best of my knowledge but dat will take much of my time, i dnt like teaching if u tink dats where u end ur career as a mathematicien, ones am tru wit my studies am going fully into d computer world. Mathematics is really universal my friend, tink positive thier are 1001 (one thousand and one) place you as a mathematicien can work. Dat my little contribution. PEACE BE ONTO MEN
Are you really an undergraduate? ASSU should better call of the strike kai mo gbe.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by orgasticdance: 11:58pm On Jul 31, 2013
If you are exceptionally good at math/quant the world(not naija abeg) is your oyster, there are a range of diverse fields you can branch off to(from engineering to finance) ; it is hard, and everyone hates it, but it's one of the most valuable assets in the job market.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Appliedmaths(m): 12:04am On Aug 01, 2013
Being a good mathematician increases your IQ, makes you reason differently from others and when applied makes you fit-in, in many areas. I thank God for my option, I'm a penultimate final year student of Uniben studying mathematics and Economics it's a double degree,double honour 4 years full time course. I do all sorts of work ranging from electrical to technical to painting to building, I mean jxt name it. The areas where I don't have experience in, just gimme like 2months tops to closely observe and learn I'll fit in. That's what mathematics did for me, trying to slove difficult examples and class excercises helped built my IQ which is today a major asset for me all thanks to GOD. Coupled with my darling tounge licking and many A's economics , bros I'm all rounder. But there's an aspect in maths I wouldn't advice any1 to take serious after graduation in 9ja are those analysis mth courses, bros na cram all of still dey cram those courses has no real life application in Nigeria except u wan jand. So in summary, mathematics is juzt what a man can ask for very diverse and unique. Yes, a good mathematician can excel outside his field if given the necessary time nd materials. We have a unique adaptive feature.
NB: 4get my usermane, na wetin uniben gimme @ 1st b4 God touch dier heart to gimme d course of my choice - maths nd econs.

3 Likes

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by guass(m): 12:05am On Aug 01, 2013
OP
Th real analysis of white-collar jobs in Nigeria is that, there are no even jobs to find.
Nearly all of you reasoned as if you are in the West,it is unfortunate.Though when I was an undergraduate, my calculus about 'life after high school' cannot be differentiated from the equations above.
THE STRUGGLE FOR A WHITE-COLLAR JOB IN NIGERIA IS EXTREMELY TOUGH.At times you have to simultaneously eliminate 'devils' before securing a job.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 01, 2013
Chibenze: As am writing dis post now am currently study mathematics in the university, personally i dnt believe their is no job (no matter the course you are studying), i would have given u fews reason to the best of my knowledge but dat will take much of my time, i dnt like teaching if u tink dats where u end ur career as a mathematicien, ones am tru wit my studies am going fully into d computer world. Mathematics is really universal my friend, tink positive thier are 1001 (one thousand and one) place you as a mathematicien can work. Dat my little contribution. PEACE BE ONTO MEN

Please learn to spell properly abeg! Which one b "mathematicien" again?
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Appliedmaths(m): 12:21am On Aug 01, 2013
We have various options like .
Pure maths.
Applied maths.
Maths and econs.
Maths and statistics.
Maths and computer sc.
Maths and physics.
Operations research (very juicy in 9ja).
Industrial maths.

Just to name a few... So when you look @ these options one can say that maths covers all.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by obowunmi(m): 12:27am On Aug 01, 2013
Blackteeth: This is not about mathematics. The problem is THERE IS NO JOB IN NIGERIA.

The OP could possibly join civil service.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Exponental(m): 12:28am On Aug 01, 2013
If someone who studied quantity surveying could rise to d post of branch manager in a bank, then there is hope for anybody with a degree
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Appliedmaths(m): 12:37am On Aug 01, 2013
Exponental: If someone who studied quantity surveying could rise to d post of branch manager in a bank, then there is hope for anybody with a degree

True talk my friend, but also note that those bank jobs are not secure. That's why you'll c most fresh graduates going into lecturing than taking bank jobs. In lecturing you're assured of your job all you need do is to be patient and write many journals as you can to get promoted and earn a juicy package + allowances . But in the banking sector, tomorrow u go hear say bank X+Y laid off a total of 1,300 workers. Just saying my observations, cuz I know how many bank guys hand don touch like bb. *lol*

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by nydraps(m): 12:39am On Aug 01, 2013
With mathematics, U̶̲̥̅̊ can work with the mallams that changes dollars for ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ whenever ♍Ɣ maga sends ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ cash.. grin
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by eeniak: 12:49am On Aug 01, 2013
Hunnnnnnnn
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by guass(m): 12:53am On Aug 01, 2013
Exponental: If someone who studied quantity surveying could rise to d post of branch manager in a bank, then there is hope for anybody with a degree

@ EXPONENTAL
My brother no be soooo.
Actually 'there is hope for anybody with a degree' but what matters in Nigeria is not the degree you bag but who is behind you.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by eliteprince: 1:00am On Aug 01, 2013
HOT UPDATES!!

LEARN HOW TO UNLOCK ANY MODEM HERE {GLO Bolt,ZTE, MTN Huwaei E303, etc}
See Tutorial Here»
[/url]

ALSO, NEW!! FREE DSTV DECODER SOFTWARES FOR MOBILE!! WATCH YOUR DSTV CHANNELS NOW ON MOBILE SMARTPHONES {Andriod, BlackBerry, Iphone, Symbian] & PC
[url=
http:///mfrzzx4]

»»»TWEAK UPDATES««
»»HOT NEW!! BLAZING ETISALAT UCWEB & OPERA HANDLER CHEAT WORKING ON ALL ANDRIOD!! NOW OUT©

+NEW!! HOW TO GET 2GB TWEAK ON MTN PULSE FOR JUST N200 TO BROWSE AND DOWNLOAD WORKING ON BOTH MOBILE & PC..

»» HOT NEW!! JWP IS BACK!! NOW BLAZING ON ETISALAT WITH SUPER DOWNLOAD SPEED

+NEW!! LEARN HOW TO USE AIRTEL UNLIMITED BIS N1,500 PLAN ON ANDRIOD AND JAVA PHONE!!
Now posted at
[url=http:///mfrzzx4][/url]
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nobody: 1:02am On Aug 01, 2013
starlight®®:

A mathematics graduate can work in an oil production company as a reservior geophysicist/engineer ( shell,Schlumberger, ExxonMobil and some foreign jobs employs mathematicians)...also get skills like programming or any ICT skills (though it depends on your interest)..... cheesy a graduate of mathematics don't lack teaching job so far you are good

What should be your concern for now is getting a good grade.

2nd plan is to go for M.Sc in other fields like geophysics, fluid dynamics (etc) and see yourself rule.....am a testimony of this

Calm down. Yes a maths graduate "CAN" but you "MAY" not work as a reservoir engineer in the companies you mentioned. Maybe after years of training in other sections then yes. You can work in these companies in other roles but not necessarily as a Reservoir Engineer. If you go on and get a Grad degree, then that changes the equation. I am yet to find any maths grad working as a Reservoir Engineer in any of these companies with a B.sc in maths.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by vislabraye(m): 1:23am On Aug 01, 2013
opendo21: Well just think deeply about it, follow your heart. I was at this stage too during service and was also writing the ICAN exams but I just didn't have passion for all those book-keeping stuff (sorry to all accountants,but that's how I see it) someone introduced me to the actuarial exams, I did a little research and that just clicked it for me. It's tough but very rewarding as you can work ANYWHERE in the world once you are a qualified actuary.

Actuary exams ? Expantiate on it.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by obowunmi(m): 1:27am On Aug 01, 2013
I must confess though...... if you are really good at what you do, WORK will find you.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by vislabraye(m): 1:29am On Aug 01, 2013
opendo21: Well just think deeply about it, follow your heart. I was at this stage too during service and was also writing the ICAN exams but I just didn't have passion for all those book-keeping stuff (sorry to all accountants,but that's how I see it) someone introduced me to the actuarial exams, I did a little research and that just clicked it for me. It's tough but very rewarding as you can work ANYWHERE in the world once you are a qualified actuary.

iHustle: We need mathematicians in reservoir and production modelling. Mathematicians make very good Reservoir Engineers. We can only 'see' the subsurface by applying the basic sciences, including mathematics. @ Op, just master what you are doing and you will be happy. I apply maths everyday in analysing and solving complex technical problems. Presently, I'm faced with a technical problem and I'm running to maths and physics to help me out. I am good with maths but I wish to know more of it.

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by jpphilips(m): 1:40am On Aug 01, 2013
Chibenze: As am writing dis post now am currently study mathematics in the university, personally i dnt believe their is no job (no matter the course you are studying), i would have given u fews reason to the best of my knowledge but dat will take much of my time, i dnt like teaching if u tink dats where u end ur career as a mathematician, ones am tru wit my studies am going fully into d computer world. Mathematics is really universal my friend, tink positive thier are 1001 (one thousand and one) place you as a mathematicien can work. Dat my little contribution. PEACE BE ONTO MEN
also visit my blog for educational tips http://chibenze-alltopic..com

when you graduate your eyes will clear
pesin wey never work dey advise person wey dey find work, i dey laugh.
ask yourself, where are your predecessors? if 90% are jobless what then do you think will be your fate?

someone is saying a mathematician can do a job meant for statisticians and geophysicists even get mind dey call exxon put.
well, after spending your hard earned cash studying craps you soak your minds in a bofoonery of fantasy to make yourself feel good.

life is a choice, good luck with yours. commonsense should ask you why an employer will jettison a geophysicist with a good grade and opt for a mathematician, do you even know what they do in oil companies?

perhaps that's the lie you have been selling to your Alaba father to collect school fees, no wahala, your eyes go clear very soon.

if your mathematics was fantastic, what stopped you from studying engineering if you are dreaming of the oil industry?

@op

just sharpen your contacts or better still go for advanced degree to stand a chance in the classroom.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by delors(m): 1:58am On Aug 01, 2013
Anywhere as in 'nursery school' grin
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nobody: 2:02am On Aug 01, 2013
Omni_Sparrow: Graduated last year. Studied mathematics and honestly, I'm really confused about what to do next. Graduated wit a 2.1 but I don't see any advantage. If it was 1st class, ehen. Currently serving and thinking of what to do is giving me headache. Afta serving, should I go 4 masters, or should I do a professional course like ICAN or ACCA, or learn IT stuff...many ish plaguing me.

with a 2:1 or first class in mathematics, you are in great demand in canada if u intend doing ur masters in mathematics or statistics.
do a thorough search on schools in canada, get in touch with a prof in a field of mathematics which you love. convince him you have research potentials,
after convincing him/her; follow his/her directives on how to gain admission and scholarship
have your admission ready at least 4months before resumption to give ample room for visa application.
go to maple consultancy service lekki lagos for advice on ur visa application; if u av money u can register with them
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by pharmo25(m): 2:05am On Aug 01, 2013
Well, as a mathematician, u can do your masters programe in social science course like Econometrics, or go for professional exam like ICAN, or better still venture into IT skill. God be with us.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by jpphilips(m): 2:14am On Aug 01, 2013
A-town:

Calm down. Yes a maths graduate "CAN" but you "MAY" not work as a reservoir engineer in the companies you mentioned. Maybe after years of training in other sections then yes. You can work in these companies in other roles but not necessarily as a Reservoir Engineer. If you go on and get a Grad degree, then that changes the equation. I am yet to find any maths grad working as a Reservoir Engineer in any of these companies with a B.sc in maths.

pls dont mind the f00l who is typing what he used to convince his Alaba illiterate father to collect school fees, imagine the impunity he wrote that crap with.

perhaps that is what their olodo lecturers tell them in school that bsc maths are reservoir engineers, Exxon will be feeling insulted by now.

Op asked a question, if you dont know, you shut the hell up.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by ZAYD(m): 2:37am On Aug 01, 2013
Mathematics is great. There is no way you will not need maths in your business or Career.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by jpphilips(m): 2:38am On Aug 01, 2013
how about starting a buisness at least you can calculate your profit and loss?
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by mployer(m): 3:43am On Aug 01, 2013
jp philips: how about starting a buisness at least you can calculate your profit and loss?
people wicked sha.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by starlightRR(m): 5:15am On Aug 01, 2013
uniqueval:

You kidding right? Na so e easy to be geoscientist or Pet engr...?

No joke, reservoir geophysicist deals with large volumes of figures that's why maths grad do fit in
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by mrakin(m): 5:24am On Aug 01, 2013
Work(job) is not the problem for mathematicians who graduated with good results. Mathematicians are visionary people, they are useful everywhere.
As for me, am proud to be a successful mathematics and Further mathematics teacher. The salary I am receiving is very poor compared to my mates' salaries in other fields, but I am happy with it because that is what I have chosen to become.
Therefore you need to have a vision of the job that will give you joy, more money may not give you joy.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nobody: 5:42am On Aug 01, 2013
Great_grades = True

if Great_grades:
Maths_graduate = "Hot cake!!!"

Get a masters in a hot! field in addition and you will explode. cool

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Exponental(m): 5:48am On Aug 01, 2013
Appliedmaths.:

True talk my friend, but also note that those bank jobs are not secure. That's why you'll c most fresh graduates going into lecturing than taking bank jobs. In lecturing you're assured of your job all you need do is to be patient and write many journals as you can to get promoted and earn a juicy package + allowances . But in the banking sector, tomorrow u go hear say bank X+Y laid off a total of 1,300 workers. Just saying my observations, cuz I know how many bank guys hand don touch like bb. *lol*
just as an example. Many organisations nt just banks. It requires u show skills more than d certificates.

guass:

@ EXPONENTAL
My brother no be soooo.
Actually 'there is hope for anybody with a degree' but what matters in Nigeria is not the degree you bag but who is behind you.
u are quite right but favor is not from man but God. Even connections fail sometimes.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by martowskin1(m): 6:18am On Aug 01, 2013
Hmmmmm.....all I see is venturing into ICT, Venturing into ICT, venturing into ICT, but do u guys knw we have people who studied ICT as a core course in this country?

Where will they now go to? B4 u even learn to write single BASIC statement, this guys ar already manipulating database, writing millions of codes, I can't see how som1 who read mathematics will venture into d ICT world after graduation and be able to compete in the ICT market with one who has being doing it all his life from 100level days even 2yrs b4 getin admission(som1 I knw) .....just saying.

I will advice u, go into where ur manipulation of figures, analytical thinking, will be mostly needed, like d financial world etc

Have said it b4 and am saying it again, with d level of development in nigeria, one should be very careful with the kind of course he/she study.

Nigeria is not just in dat level yet where u read anytin dis universities throw at u.

But is funny to hear graduates say "I don't want to lecture" what do u want to do? Oh....work in an oil firm.

Make we shine our eyes, b4 we go allow soap enter our eye for inside river.

One of The most lucrative job in nija, u say u don't like it.

All man to his own views, no bite pls, dis is hw I see it, is obvious I can be WRONG and trust me, still very CORRECT. That does not mean I can't be corrected or take correction

Peace to d house

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by appleton: 6:33am On Aug 01, 2013
@ OP as a graduate of Maths. If ΰя based in Lagos find time to apply for private schools in Lekki. I knw of a friend who earns 150k per month in a school in Lekki.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Is The Starting Salary Of A Dentist In Nigeria? / Betty Irabor & Ezekwesili To Help Undergraduate Who Sells Crayfish (Pics) / Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.