Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,010 members, 7,814,447 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports (6654 Views)

Anambra Inaugurates N16bn Tomato, Cassava Plantation / Julius Berger Summoned Over Sambo’s N16bn Residence / ACN Leaders Sold Out Ribadu’s Presidential Ambition For N16bn — ACN Chieftain Fr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by Nobody: 7:31am On Jul 15, 2013
An indigenous oil company, Oando Plc, has concluded discussions with the federal government to provide long-term, uninterrupted power supply to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos and
Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA), Abuja through the establishment of an Independent Power Supply project (IPP) at the cost of $100 million (N16 billion).

THISDAY gathered that discussions over the project had reached advanced stage and that each airport would cost the company $50 million, while the federal government, through the Ministry of Aviation, is already looking at the terms offered by the company as the project, when completed, would last for about 20 years.

An inside source from the aviation ministry Monday said: “This project is going to provide uninterrupted power supply at these airports and environs. We are yet to sign the agreement but we are in advanced discussion with them and after the last meeting, we are going to have with the government, we will come to a conclusion. They made an offer to us; we saw that it is good, so we accepted it. We need reliable power supply at the airports to carry out the kind of massive development that we want, to boost the economy of this country.”

The IPP, when eventually ratified, would be powered by gas and the capacity would be 30 KVA for each of the airports and when completed the projects would be primary power supply to the airports while the present power project almost completed at the Lagos airport would provide secondary power supply during the maintenance of the IPP and other planned interruptions.

The Minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah, had during her midterm report a fortnight ago in Abuja, said all the major airports in the country would have IPP for uninterrupted power supply to provide the kind of service the airports need, especially now that the federal government was embarking on fresh produce cargo export programme as cold rooms would be built at perishable cargo terminals where the produce would be stored before airlift to various destinations overseas and locally.

Oduah also said the airfield lighting that would be provided at some of the airport runways, including that of the 18L of the domestic terminal in Lagos and the existing ones, would need uninterrupted power both from the IPP and solar power in a backup on backup power system.

THISDAY also learnt that if successfully completed, Oando would extend the project to other airports in the country, but another indigenous oil company, MRS was also jostling to provide gas powered IPP to some of the airports, but government had not started any discussion with the company.

The period of completion of the projects, however, is still unknown as government is yet to finalise discussions on the project.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/oando-to-build-n16bn-ipps-for-lagos-abuja-airports/152840/
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by geeez: 8:32am On Jul 15, 2013
Now BRF's model is making sense

If Government institutions, offices, barracks, universities, street lighting and industrial estates and parks can be powered by independent power plants, there will be enough energy free for commercial and residential areas

Industrial areas should however be given top priority

7 Likes

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by dlox147(m): 9:09am On Jul 15, 2013
this is great..loving this minister..i smell FRESH AIR
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by billante(m): 9:40am On Jul 15, 2013
There are lots of space for new IPPs, so this new project and more are needed.....i see nigeria hitting 20,000MW by 2015
We keep making progress!
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by kunlekunle: 9:41am On Jul 15, 2013
the future for sale.
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by solomon111(m): 10:35am On Jul 15, 2013
geeez: Now BRF's model is making sense

If Government institutions, offices, barracks, universities, street lighting and industrial estates and parks can be powered by independent power plants, there will be enough energy free for commercial and residential areas

what has BRF got to do with this?

6 Likes

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by geeez: 10:38am On Jul 15, 2013
solomon111: what has BRF got to do with this?

Its a model he developed and has worked on, powering government institutions and streets using IPPs.

Get some knowledge

2 Likes

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by YoshiMaster: 11:23am On Jul 15, 2013
"The IPP, when eventually ratified, would be powered by gas and the capacity would be 30 KVA for each of the airports and when completed the projects would be primary power supply to the airports while the present power project almost completed at the Lagos airport would provide secondary power supply during the maintenance of the IPP and other planned interruptions."

Just 30KVA? isn't that too small?

Thought an airport would need more power.

1 Like

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by Horus(m): 11:51am On Jul 15, 2013

100% of the street lighting should be powered with independant solar panels. This will reduce maintenance coast.
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by YoshiMaster: 12:03pm On Jul 15, 2013
Horus:

100% of the street lighting should be powered with independant solar panels. This will reduce maintenance coast.

Good idea, but there are often inefficiencies in solar panels and you may end up getting about 50% of the power.

Also if the battery bank for this setup is contained in that little box below the panels in the pic you posted, then I am guessing the system features just one battery.

I doubt high wattage street lights can run from say 7pm-7am on just this setup without the assistance of grid power.

However I wish they could concentrate a larger array of panels at strategic locations with larger battery banks, dedicated to powering street lights as opposed to having one panel per street lamp.
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by taharqa2: 12:18pm On Jul 15, 2013
geeez:

Its a model he developed and has worked on, powering government institutions and streets using IPPs.

Get some knowledge
Fashola developed this model?? So he 'developed' it and others are now stealing d model, abi? Lawd have mercy!! Have you ever heard of d IPP serving, I bliv, d 3 Arms Zone and environs in Abuja, designd by Prof Nnaji's company? Do you know when its construction started and how long ago it started operations? Do you know how many such Location-specific IPPs we have all over Nigeria (industries, other Private concerns, etc)?? IGNORAMUS.....@topic, Good development

10 Likes

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by kunlekunle: 1:26pm On Jul 15, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

Good idea, but there are often inefficiencies in solar panels and you may end up getting about 50% of the power.

Also if the battery bank for this setup is contained in that little box below the panels in the pic you posted, then I am guessing the system features just one battery.

I doubt high wattage street lights can run from say 7pm-7am on just this setup without the assistance of grid power.

However I wish they could concentrate a larger array of panels at strategic locations with larger battery banks, dedicated to powering street lights as opposed to having one panel per street lamp.

they only require the system with a 14hr capacity.

1 Like

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by geeez: 1:38pm On Jul 15, 2013
taharqa2: Fashola developed this model?? So he 'developed' it and others are now stealing d model, abi? Lawd have mercy!! Have you ever heard of d IPP serving, I bliv, d 3 Arms Zone and environs in Abuja, designd by Prof Nnaji's company? Do you know when its construction start and how long ago it started operations? Do you know how many such Location-specific IPPs we have all over Nigeria (industries, other Private concerns, etc)?? IGNORAMUS.....@topic, Good development

What is this one saying?

When you understand the meaning if the word 'model' in relation to a strategy, then we can talk.

For now, you should be engaging my seven year old cousin in debates retrd

1 Like

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by ZUBY77(m): 2:13pm On Jul 15, 2013
All these companies have a lot of money while GEJ is Mortgaging us to China.

I hope i will still be alive when Chinese embassy in Abuja will occupy Aso Rock and set their own tax laws.

1 Like

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 15, 2013
Hope this isn't another avenue to loot money
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by Fazhy: 2:18pm On Jul 15, 2013
Take it or leave it. This woman is working. By the way, who is the acclaimed owner of Oando?

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by Amozever12: 2:28pm On Jul 15, 2013
Nice one OANDO, but what matters most is if the project wuld be executed by indigenous contractors and experts and also if people in the airport environs would truely benefit from it, because any project that wuldn't benefit the poor masses is not worth celebrating considering the current state of our economy...
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by gtrust: 2:31pm On Jul 15, 2013
The IPP, when eventually ratified, would be powered by gas and the capacity would be 30 KVA for each of the airports and when completed the projects would be primary power supply to the airports while the present power project almost completed at the Lagos airport would provide secondary power supply during the maintenance of the IPP and other planned interruptions.

Why will the almost completed present power project NOT primarily power the airport
That was why it was started in the 1st place abi
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by sylve11: 2:34pm On Jul 15, 2013
Not a bad one. cool
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by Standing5(m): 2:37pm On Jul 15, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
"The IPP, when eventually ratified, would be powered by gas and the capacity would be 30 KVA for each of the airports and when completed the projects would be primary power supply to the airports while the present power project almost completed at the Lagos airport would provide secondary power supply during the maintenance of the IPP and other planned interruptions."

Just what i was thinking also. Except there would be no Air Conditioning units in those airports, i see little sense in the project.

Looking at the thread, another one quickly comes to mind for those of us (Beaf included) who were registered with NL then. It was the famous O-thread started by Gbawe. https://www.nairaland.com/933109/osun-kicks-off-n300m-hydro-power and quickly the derailed by the likes of Beaf/Wesley/Ejine/Rad1cal and co.

1 Like

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by hamsky: 2:39pm On Jul 15, 2013
I dey go build my house near airport chap chap
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by anonimi: 2:46pm On Jul 15, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

I wander when we will learn to resolve our problems in a WHOLISTIC manner.
What is all this noise about installing some heavy duty generators for dedicated places rather than build up the national system with massive PROPER power PLANTS

BTW, Is this what Oando will do with their proceeds from the 20% paid by Fashola for gas cylinders to Lagos residents:

https://www.nairaland.com/1321563/fashola-launches-eko-gas-lpg

MISPLACED priorities!!!

2 Likes

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by dickhardener: 2:46pm On Jul 15, 2013
Fazhy: Take it or leave it. This woman is working. By the way, who is the acclaimed owner of Oando?
mofe boyo and wale tinubu
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by anonimi: 2:52pm On Jul 15, 2013
taharqa2: Fashola developed this model?? So he 'developed' it and others are now stealing d model, abi? Lawd have mercy!! Have you ever heard of d IPP serving, I bliv, d 3 Arms Zone and environs in Abuja, designd by Prof Nnaji's company? Do you know when its construction start and how long ago it started operations? Do you know how many such Location-specific IPPs we have all over Nigeria (industries, other Private concerns, etc)?? IGNORAMUS.....@topic, Good development

Thanks for the highlighted portion.
Most of us don't seem to realise that all these "location-specific" IPPs are glorified generators. Maybe super-sized but still generators nonetheless.
The bottom line is that every i-better-pass-my-neighbour na INDEPENBENT Power Producer!!!

3 Likes

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by manny4life(m): 2:53pm On Jul 15, 2013

More reason why such model is a shame to begin with, how can you have small IPP's everywhere - institutions, offices, barracks, universities, street lighting, like seriously, are u kidding me? What happened to IPP's producing bulk and selling directly to all these? Rather than these having their own system, it's just ridic.

1 Like

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by SensibleMusa: 3:11pm On Jul 15, 2013
30kVA for that amount?
Na wa o. Elect engineers, follow me see o. You know your 1kVA air conditioners in 30 places, less than what an average indeginous company consume in Kano, Lag, Aba or PH. Either misinformation or 'thievery'

1 Like

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by Walert(m): 3:12pm On Jul 15, 2013
Standing5:
Just what i was thinking also. Except there would be no Air Conditioning units in those airports, i see little sense in the project.

Looking at the thread, another one quickly comes to mind for those of us (Beaf included) who were registered with NL then. It was the famous O-thread started by Gbawe. https://www.nairaland.com/933109/osun-kicks-off-n300m-hydro-power and quickly the derailed by the likes of Beaf/Wesley/Ejine/Rad1cal and co.
Oh oh my generator produces 15KVA.May be there is a mix-up somewhere.That power output is very small for an airport usage.

1 Like

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by ocelot2006(m): 3:30pm On Jul 15, 2013
geeez:

Get some knowledge

What friggin model? When coys like Shell have been running their own IPPs waaaay longer than BRG or even Tinubu. Abegi..
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by YoshiMaster: 3:36pm On Jul 15, 2013
I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't achieve such without:

A: settling for a lower watt light bulb, and hence you light intensity might suffer, but on some streets this may be acceptable.

B: adding more batteries, which I think would make the installations very cumbersome by having two or more heavy deep cycle batteries at each lamp; not very aesthetically pleasing.

I just wish they would add solar farms at some certain places.
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by plaindealer: 3:37pm On Jul 15, 2013
manny4life:

More reason why such model is a shame to begin with, how can you have small IPP's everywhere - institutions, offices, barracks, universities, street lighting, like seriously, are u kidding me? What happened to IPP's producing bulk and selling directly to all these? Rather than these having their own system, it's just ridic.

The don't have IPPs for each institutions.

There are 3 IPPs in Lagos state with another under construction..

1. The 1st IPP in Nigeria built by TINUBU. 271MW

2. Island Power Project IPP. Supplies uninterrupted poster to state institutions, public infrastructures and streets in Lagos Island.

3. 12.45 MW IPP Power plant For Iju And Adiyan Waterworks primary for the water works.

4. 10.4 MW Alausa Independent Power Plant for the state secretariat and surrounding industries and communities.

Btw, they (Lagos state) can not sell electricity by law.. not now at least.

1 Like

Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by ocelot2006(m): 3:38pm On Jul 15, 2013
manny4life:

Mbok help me ask the dude oh. This distributed power generation system, the so-called "BRF model", makes no sense. You might as well stick to running diesel powered generators at a cheaper rate. My not build a larger central plant that can power the state?
Re: Oando To Build N16bn IPPs For Lagos, Abuja Airports by YoshiMaster: 3:39pm On Jul 15, 2013
Standing5:

@bolded, that was what struck me initially. All those typical big standing air conditioners we see in airports are usually rated at about 3KW at the minimum, I've seen some rated at 7KW.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Karma Beckons!APC to give Amaechi the Same Treatment He Gave His Campaign DG / Azikiwe's Foolishness In Making Enugu Capital Of Old Eastern Nigeria / Only Igbo Can Deny Themselves Presidency In 2023-osita Okechukwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.