Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,846 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (517369 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by octavian(m): 10:02pm On Jul 25, 2013
Hello, kindly answer these questions..
1. When one of your siblings file for permanent residency petition on your behalf how long does the process take??
2. Will you be granted a visiting visa while you a petition filed with UCIS??
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by josemaria03(m): 2:10am On Jul 26, 2013
He his a university undergraduate, and he won the 2014 dv-lottery, hope he qualifies for a visa?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:08am On Jul 26, 2013
janut: Its heartwarming to know that u guys really care about those who genuinely wants to come to ur country. Thanks for taking out ur time to inform us.

Our pleasure! Most of us are descended from immigrants ourselves, or are actually immigrants too, you know. smiley

janut: Please kindly assist on this issue as regards my chances of obtaining a visa-
I am one of the winners of DV 2014 lottery along with my spouse. In my original application there was an error in my year of birth although the day and month are correct just the year. I have contacted kcc on the issue and I was told to fill in the correct year while submitting my forms as they cannot make any changes to the application.
Also I wish to state that all my documents has my actual date of birth.
Once again I wish to know if this error would affect my chances.
Warm regards.

Hmm. Based solely on the information above, in the absence of other information: While a change in year of birth would make us look very carefully at everything else, it's not a disqualification. Assuming you qualify in all other ways and that that's the only issue, you *should* be okay. Again, without the whole case here in front of me, I can't be too definitive, but that's my sense. Hope this helps.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:10am On Jul 26, 2013
stony247: Great job you're doing here @Visaofficer.My dad applied for an F2A visa for me.Unfortunately,he died before I received two letters from the National Visa Center in Portsmouth,NH.Please,can any other person fill the Affidavit of sponsorship form for me?If no then I'll stop the visa process because I don't want to tell lies.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I'm also sorry to tell you that when a petitioner passes away, the petition is no longer active. There are some exceptions but I don't think they apply in your case. Perhaps another family member in the U.S. could file a new petition on your behalf?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:13am On Jul 26, 2013
octavian: Hello, kindly answer these questions..
1. When one of your siblings file for permanent residency petition on your behalf how long does the process take??
2. Will you be granted a visiting visa while you a petition filed with UCIS??

1. Right now it's taking around 11-12 years, all told.
2. Having an immigrant petition filed with USCIS makes it pretty clear that you're an intending immigrant, so it can be more difficult to convince the non-immigrant ( "visiting" ) visa officer that you won't just stay in the U.S. But every situation is different and we know that people have excellent reasons to visit the U.S. and return to their home countries, even if there's an immigrant petition pending for them. It really depends on your personal circumstances.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:19am On Jul 26, 2013
josemaria03: He his a university undergraduate, and he won the 2014 dv-lottery, hope he qualifies for a visa?

Oh, yeah, a college degree absolutely qualifies him, from an academic standpoint. As long as he listed all his family members on his original entry and can explain where he'll be living in the U.S., and is the same person as in the original photo, and has no other ineligibilities, he's good.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by stony247: 11:21am On Jul 26, 2013
VisaOfficer:

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I'm also sorry to tell you that when a petitioner passes away, the petition is no longer active. There are some exceptions but I don't think they apply in your case. Perhaps another family member in the U.S. could file a new petition on your behalf?
@Visaofficer,thanks.I don't have another family member in the U.S.I'm sad,after some years of waiting.Well I'll wait after my B.Eng and apply for my Masters.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by josemaria03(m): 11:53am On Jul 26, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Oh, yeah, a college degree absolutely qualifies him, from an academic standpoint. As long as he listed all his family members on his original entry and can explain where he'll be living in the U.S., and is the same person as in the original photo, and has no other ineligibilities, he's good.
college degree? he has only a ssce( high school certificate)
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by winbyforce: 11:54am On Jul 26, 2013
Dear Visaofficer,
Can you extend the period of grace for answering our questions to six months? Please? I'm not an immigrant visa applicant but I feel your responses to questions over a longer period of time can serve as a sort of FAQs to intending immigrants. Thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Mavor: 1:08pm On Jul 26, 2013
winbyforce: Dear Visaofficer,
Can you extend the period of grace for answering our questions to six months? Please? I'm not an immigrant visa applicant but I feel your responses to questions over a longer period of time can serve as a sort of FAQs to intending immigrants. Thanks.
Yeah, I mean this thread is a brilliant idea. As long as no trolling and it is well moderated, you might as well just stick with it.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by joechima: 1:56pm On Jul 26, 2013
I got married to a US citizen in lagos in April 2013 but we are yet to start the process,is it true that ur immigrant section is extremely strict and turn down even bonafide relationship
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:21pm On Jul 26, 2013
josemaria03: college degree? he has only a ssce( high school certificate)

Sorry, I misread your original post. All you need to qualify from an academic point of view is a high school diploma, so he should be all right there.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:23pm On Jul 26, 2013
winbyforce: Dear Visaofficer,

grin Thank you for the positive feedback! And many thanks to the moderators for letting this happen. Let's see how it goes until the original deadline, and at that point I'll check with my supervisors and see how they feel about everything.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:33pm On Jul 26, 2013
joechima: I got married to a US citizen in lagos in April 2013 but we are yet to start the process,is it true that ur immigrant section is extremely strict and turn down even bonafide relationship

Well, here's the thing. The burden of proof is on the person being interviewed to convince the officer that it's a bona fide relationship. Every relationship is different, so there's no perfect checklist of what we expect people to say. But if it becomes clear that the person being interviewed just doesn't know anything about the petitioner, that's a bad sign. I'm assuming that your relationship with your spouse is a real spousal relationship, right? So just think, what would you tell me about the person if you and I were just two friends talking and I said, "So how did you two meet? What do you like about that person? Tell me about him/her." If it's a real relationship, you really shouldn't have a problem. smiley

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by joechima: 2:40pm On Jul 26, 2013
Thanks this is great

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by janut: 2:42pm On Jul 26, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Our pleasure! Most of us are descended from immigrants ourselves, or are actually immigrants too, you know. smiley

Hmm. Based solely on the information above, in the absence of other information: While a change in year of birth would make us look very carefully at everything else, it's not a disqualification. Assuming you qualify in all other ways and that that's the only issue, you *should* be okay. Again, without the whole case here in front of me, I can't be too definitive, but that's my sense. Hope this helps.
Yeah, very well.
Hoping for the best.
Thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by femijck(m): 2:45pm On Jul 26, 2013
Ok cool....but pls what if they met on a singles site and they can both stand for what they want?....... ()
VisaOfficer:
Well, here's the thing. The burden of proof is on the person being interviewed to convince the officer that it's a bona fide relationship. Every relationship is different, so there's no perfect checklist of what we expect people to say. But if it becomes clear that the person being interviewed just doesn't know anything about the petitioner, that's a bad sign. I'm assuming that your relationship with your spouse is a real spousal relationship, right? So just think, what would you tell me about the person if you and I were just two friends talking and I said, "So how did you two meet? What do you like about that person? Tell me about him/her." If it's a real relationship, you really shouldn't have a problem. smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:53pm On Jul 26, 2013
femijck: Ok cool....but pls what if they met on a singles site? ()

As long as it's a real relationship, the story will make sense and be consistent, and everyone will be happy.

2 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:48pm On Jul 26, 2013
I'll be offline this weekend. Thank you all for the warm welcome! See you Monday. wink
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by justwise(m): 5:08pm On Jul 26, 2013
@All.

Please don't derail this thread with your complains, if you have anything bothering you concerning this thread then let it out here >>>>> https://www.nairaland.com/776835/feedback-comments-complaints

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by hastron: 7:13pm On Jul 26, 2013
My wife won the Visa lottery about 3 years ago,then we were not married but engaged,a year later we got married,She comes back to Nigeria every 5 months,i work with one of the Telecom giant here in Nigeria,i spend so much money on tickets just so we can be together as a family,she delivered of a baby boy last year November in the United States.How can i visit her and my son in the states,Please I need your professional advice.can i apply for a visit visa stating my reason for visiting been my family

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by roadmap2money(m): 9:24am On Jul 27, 2013
Hello Nl,
I have a friend name david he met a white woman through his brother-in-law when his brother travel to usa on a special assignment by the federal goverment...so on getting home back whenever the white woman call his brother he always talk with david but as time goes on the white woman got interested in david because his brother is married ...and David and the white woman start chatting on line and fall in love with each other and they started dating for up to 8month now so the white woman invited david to come over for a visit but visa was not issue to david for tourist visa after the interview so the white woman decided to come to Nigeria for their wedding in the next few month....so my question for this dude is that...
(1) After the wedding what type of visa is it required to book for on line?
(2) The white woman insist that when she comes that she want to fly back with her husband will that be possible. though david is a marketing manager earning 103k monthly in a company that deals with oi and gas.
(3) if yes please advise will be appreciated on the kind of visa they have to applied for to be able to fly back with his wife. because the white woman said she cant wait for 8 month for immigrant visa to be issued
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Vicjustice: 12:27pm On Jul 27, 2013
roadmap2money: Hello Nl,
I have a friend name david he met a white woman through his brother-in-law when his brother travel to usa on a special assignment by the federal goverment...so on getting home back whenever the white woman call his brother he always talk with david but as time goes on the white woman got interested in david because his brother is married ...and David and the white woman start chatting on line and fall in love with each other and they started dating for up to 8month now so the white woman invited david to come over for a visit but visa was not issue to david for tourist visa after the interview so the white woman decided to come to Nigeria for their wedding in the next few month....so my question for this dude is that...
(1) After the wedding what type of visa is it required to book for on line?
(2) The white woman insist that when she comes that she want to fly back with her husband will that be possible. though david is a marketing manager earning 103k monthly in a company that deals with oi and gas.
(3) if yes please advise will be appreciated on the kind of visa they have to applied for to be able to fly back with his wife. because the white woman said she cant wait for 8 month for immigrant visa to be issued
You seem to know too much about "David", but why is "David" not making these enquiries for himself?

6 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by superior1: 12:57pm On Jul 27, 2013
Vicjustice: You seem to be know too much about "David", but why is "David" not making these enquiries for himself?

roadmap2money is equal to david

3 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 27, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
superior1:

roadmap2money is equal to david
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by roadmap2money(m): 7:05pm On Jul 27, 2013
@superior1 : david is child hood friend of mine we even live together but dont know much about internet and there is no crime asking on his behalf.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Naijalastborn(m): 8:27pm On Jul 27, 2013
Vicjustice: You seem to be know too much about "David", but why is "David" not making these enquiries for himself?
You be interrogation officer? d guy asked for advice and enlightment... just give him what he asked if you have it... stop asking him as if you are interrogating him kiss

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by kazlam: 6:49am On Jul 28, 2013
Helllo sir .pls i want advice 4rm experienced. Something happens to a friend last week on his way to USA. He was to board maroc flight to USA last week Monday 15th, but on getting to Airport and about to checking in his luggage he was told that his flight ticket has been suspended.
After making enquiry from the airline he was told that his visa b1/b2 has been place on hold and due to these they cant air lift him to USA
He was later given a number to contact at embassy, after calling the number the guy that picks his call asked him to come with his passport to embassy for new VISA but no explanation was given for the hold on the main visa.
Kindly advice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (66)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Thread for South Korea prospective students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.