Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,953 members, 7,817,795 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (517321 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Cmeo(m): 8:27am On Aug 01, 2013
VisaOfficer:

This is a GREAT question and thank you for the opportunity to get on my soapbox and preach a little! YES, all immigrant visa applicants must "overcome public charge concerns." That means that the petitioner must demonstrate that he or she can financially support the beneficiary, so that the beneficiary will not become a public charge (in other words, need government support to live). (Diversity Visa applicants can stop reading -- this doesn't apply to you.) In short, the sponsor needs to show that he or she earns at least 125% of the current U.S. poverty threshold. You can see the guidelines at http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf -- there are a very few exceptions, but for most people, it's 125%.

The petitioner will file the I-864, and if anyone else in the petitioner's household is also pledging to support the beneficiary, that person files the I-864A as a member of the petitioner's household. Everyone who files the 864 or 864A should also submit three years' worth of tax documents to support their claims. The combined amounts have to be enough to support everyone in the petitioner's household PLUS everyone who is coming as a visa beneficiary. If it's not enough, they will need a joint sponsor.

So what does that mean? Okay, say I file a petition for my brother, who is married and has two children. My spouse signs the I-864A, and we both submit our tax documents from the past three years. Together, my spouse and I earn $32,000. But... if you look at http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf that is NOT ENOUGH to support my brother, his spouse, and their two children. They are four people in my brother's family, plus me and myself, so that's six people. According to the guidelines my spouse and I would need to earn $39,487 to support six people. So, we'll need a joint sponsor.

Also, unemployment compensation (or any other government assistance) does NOT count toward the total when an officer is looking at tax documents.

Also, if I say "But I own a home and it's worth $250,000!", that probably doesn't count either. I would need to show that I actually OWN the home, rather than still owing a 30-year mortgage on it. Assets are only assets if they're completely paid for.

Oh -- another point -- okay, in the above example my spouse and I have $32,000 but we need to show $39,487. That's a difference of $7,487. It's not enough to show that I have $7,487 in a savings account, because when you're using assets to make up the difference, you need to show that you have FIVE TIMES the difference in assets. In this example, that would be another $37,435.

And if this has made your head hurt, welcome to my world. Ouch, mathematics!

Good news for K petitions: You need the I-134, not the I-864, and you don't have to submit tax documents; you just need to convince the Consular officer that the person won't become a public charge.

Thank you for your time to write this out and to attending to peoples questions. This is very educative and detailed. God bless.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:41am On Aug 01, 2013
Wile.E.Coyote:
Greetings And Salutations.

My Fiancees K1 visa was denied, sadly but we have an approved I-130 and so will be visiting your post shortly for another interview....

Greetings! A lot of questions to answer. I’ll try to take them in order…

We (as a post, and speaking for myself personally) absolutely do not look at applicants who require interpreters in a negative light. We know that not everyone speaks English, and we have a diverse staff who are glad to help interpret. (Many of us are studying the local languages so that we can communicate more easily, too!)

Here’s what happens with the “re-adjudication” of petitions. In the U.S., when the petitions are initially submitted, they’re checked to be sure that they are documentarily complete. If there are any glaring discrepancies, the petitioner will be contacted and given a chance to respond. For instance, if someone files a petition for his child but doesn’t include a birth certificate, he’ll be contacted and asked for the birth certificate. He submits the birth certificate and the case, now documentarily complete, is forwarded to the overseas post for adjudication. The officer at post will review the whole case during the interview process, and may find that the birth certificate looks odd. At that point the officer may do a field investigation to verify the birth certificate, or suggest a DNA test, or take other action. This is not a “re-adjudication” of the petition; instead, the officer at post has access to information that was not available to the people who checked the petition in the United States: namely, that something about the birth certificate doesn’t look right. (The people in the U.S. can’t be expected to know what every single country’s birth certificates look like, but at overseas posts, we’re familiar with the documents of the countries where we live and work.)

With fiance and spouse petitions, when they’re put together in the U.S., again, they’re checked to make sure they’re documentarily complete before being forwarded to the overseas post. The petitioner may be asked for missing documents or more information before the case is considered complete and sent to post. At the overseas post, the officer interviews the beneficiary and reviews the case. If the beneficiary cannot answer simple questions about his or her relationship with the petitioner, or if the beneficiary significantly contradicts the information supplied by the petitioner, or if it turns out one or both of them isn’t actually free to marry, or if there are fraud indicators that come to light, any of that would be new information that was not available to the people in the U.S. when the petition was originally submitted. Technically speaking, the officer at post does not re-adjudicate or deny a petition; he or she sends it back to the U.S. with a memo explaining the new information that has come to light, and USCIS ultimately decides whether to revoke the initial petition in light of the new evidence, or whether to reaffirm it and send it back to post.

You mentioned returning petitions to WAC or EAC (now known as CSC and VSC). The real difference is that I-129F (fiance) petitions are only valid for four months, so once they have expired, they’re usually not reinstated. I-130 (spouse) petitions do not have a four-month validity, so I-130 petitioners have time to respond to USCIS questions after USCIS reviews the petition and the accompanying memo. (A note here: Sometimes there's not time to schedule a K interview before the petition expires -- for instance, if it doesn't get sent to post in time. For those of you who have K petitions pending, don't worry if this happens to you. Posts continue to treat the petitions as unexpired so that the beneficiary can come and be interviewed.)

Speaking only for my own post (other posts may have different guidelines), we don’t mandate that the petitioner accompany the beneficiary to the interview because it's so expensive to travel from the U.S. to Western Africa. In the majority of cases seen at post, the beneficiaries do successfully obtain visas after their initial interviews, so there’s no real reason to make that a universal requirement.

I imagine that all of the above was annoying to read, given that your fiancee did not receive a visa. I know that some beneficiaries don’t receive visas even though they have a bona fide relationship with their petitioners. If this has happened to you, I’m sorry, and I wish your fiancee better luck in her next interview. It’s the beneficiary’s responsibility to convince the interviewing officer that he or she has a bona fide relationship with the petitioner, and all I can tell you is that we really do try to give every beneficiary every opportunity to convince us. We don’t send a case back to the U.S. unless we are truly convinced that the relationship is not bona fide.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:50am On Aug 01, 2013
By the way -- no offense, everyone -- I've been getting a lot of private messages. First of all, I don't know how to check them, smiley and secondly, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to strike up private conversations. So please don't be offended if I don't contact you... I'm just not checking my private messages at all. Thanks for understanding!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by okeymen: 8:55am On Aug 01, 2013
Hi visaOfficer,

Thanks so much for taking the time out to give all the very helpful advice. At this rate, this thread will soon become a sort of bible or a book of knowledge for visa applicants.

While filling my DS-0230 form, i came across a question that says i should list all the places i have lived in for at least 6 months since i was 16. I interpreted that to mean that i must have lived there for 6 months at a stretch so i did not include for instance the town where i did my secondary school because even though i was in the boarding house, it was for 3 months at a time and then i would go back to my parents house. Also I was in UK for work related training and again it never was for more than 3 months at a time and i would go back home for a one month break.

Did should i have considered the overall time i spent in these places and listed them as places i have lived for more than 6 months? If I should have considered them, is it too late for me to make changes? I am a winner of DV 2014 and have sent in my forms already.

Thanks for your help
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by justwise(m): 9:10am On Aug 01, 2013
VisaOfficer: By the way -- no offense, everyone -- I've been getting a lot of private messages. First of all, I don't know how to check them, smiley and secondly, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to strike up private conversations. So please don't be offended if I don't contact you... I'm just not checking my private messages at all. Thanks for understanding!

Please ignore them, if i knew how to disable your PM i would have done it because i feared that this will happen.

People with genuine case don't send pm, they will ask their questions here, the dodgy ones and the 'visa agents' are sending those pms.

8 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:15am On Aug 01, 2013
okeymen: Hi visaOfficer,

Thanks so much for taking the time out to give all the very helpful advice. At this rate, this thread will soon become a sort of bible or a book of knowledge for visa applicants.

While filling my DS-0230 form, i came across a question that says i should list all the places i have lived in for at least 6 months since i was 16. I interpreted that to mean that i must have lived there for 6 months at a stretch so i did not include for instance the town where i did my secondary school because even though i was in the boarding house, it was for 3 months at a time and then i would go back to my parents house. Also I was in UK for work related training and again it never was for more than 3 months at a time and i would go back home for a one month break.

Did should i have considered the overall time i spent in these places and listed them as places i have lived for more than 6 months? If I should have considered them, is it too late for me to make changes? I am a winner of DV 2014 and have sent in my forms already.

Thanks for your help

Greetings! I'm going to give a seemingly contradictory answer. I think you can get away with not listing your boarding school address, because you had an established residence in your parents' home at the time. But you should tell the officer about your time in the UK, because it's significant foreign travel. In fact, if you spent more than 12 months total in the UK, you should submit a UK police certificate at the time of your interview. Don't worry -- you won't get in trouble for making changes to your DS-230. In fact, you'll probably make a good impression with your truthfulness and attention to detail.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:29am On Aug 01, 2013
(sorry, duplicate post)
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:29am On Aug 01, 2013
In the news: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/security-hampers-establishment-of-us-consulate-in-kano/155044/

...the consulate in Lagos has had cases of impostors and fake married Diversity Visa applicants arrested by law enforcement agents.

She added that credibility remains the most important factor in visa application as visa fraud or lying on application is considered a serious crime.

"Visa fraud is a crime and will render an individual permanently ineligible for any visa type to the USA. Assisting or facilitating individuals with committing visa fraud can also render an individual permanently ineligible for any visa type."
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by isokensolara: 1:13pm On Aug 01, 2013
VisaOfficer:

It sounds like you want to apply for a non-immigrant visa so you can travel to the U.S. and take care of some business? Not knowing all the details of your case, based solely on the above, my answer is the same as for any other non-immigrant applicant: If you can convince the interviewing officer that you plan to abide by the terms of your visa (i.e. no overstay) and if you have no ineligibility, based on what you've written, sure, I'd go ahead and apply if I were you.

Thank you very much for your professional advice and God bless you abundantly. I will go ahead and apply immediately. Bless you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Vikktorr(m): 3:44pm On Aug 01, 2013
Hello Visa Officer

I must say you are doing a great job on here and you seem like a very nice person. Kudos!

I am a DV2014 Selectee and i have a question. Please do you know how i can check the information i filled in during the online application? I wanna make sure there are no discrepancies. Thank you.

Best Regards,

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:26pm On Aug 01, 2013
Vikktorr: Hello Visa Officer

I must say you are doing a great job on here and you seem like a very nice person. Kudos!

I am a DV2014 Selectee and i have a question. Please do you know how i can check the information i filled in during the online application? I wanna make sure there are no discrepancies. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Hi and thank you for the compliment! Much appreciated. smiley

Have you seen https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ ? You should be able to access your information there. Let us know if it doesn't work for you. And best of luck with your application!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by okeymen: 5:13pm On Aug 01, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! I'm going to give a seemingly contradictory answer. I think you can get away with not listing your boarding school address, because you had an established residence in your parents' home at the time. But you should tell the officer about your time in the UK, because it's significant foreign travel. In fact, if you spent more than 12 months total in the UK, you should submit a UK police certificate at the time of your interview. Don't worry -- you won't get in trouble for making changes to your DS-230. In fact, you'll probably make a good impression with your truthfulness and attention to detail.

Best of luck!

I must confess, when I first came across your username as VisaOfficer, I thought someone was just setting up for a big scam. I am very very skeptical of information on the internet and always verify from numerous sources before I accept any information. I have read probably every answer or statement you have made on nairaland including your response to mine above and my doubts are 90% gone smiley. thanks very much and God bless you

So in 2006, i was in the UK from mid February to mid May, back for a month got married and traveled again shortly after from Mid June to Mid September, back for another month and traveled yet again in mid October to mid December. All the while i was in the UK I either stayed in a hotel or in Serviced apartments (paid for by the company i worked for in Nigeria) which was different every time. The only constant was the City. since it all sums up to 8 months really, i suppose i don't need a police report. But also I did have a house where I lived in my home country all the while and that's the reason i left it out. I just wish the form has space for explaining that the stay was not continuous. I will try and make the changes you suggested so as to be as plain and as transparent as possible.

God bless!!!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by tedd(m): 5:24pm On Aug 01, 2013
A cousin of mine was issued a ten years visa ban to the UK in 2009 for forgery of his waec results.The results are actually genuine, it has the same data if you check on line or confirmation statement from waec, but the physical certificate isnt.His original waec reluts got burnt in 2007. He innocently went to Yaba where waec hq is and fell into the hands of touts. Recently he asked me if he aaplied for a visa to the USA for a conference in November that he feels he wont be issued one because of his british ban? Please can you clear the air on this so i can advice him accordingly. Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by WileECoyote: 5:24pm On Aug 01, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! A lot of questions to answer. I’ll try to take them in order…

We (as a post, and speaking for myself personally) absolutely do not look at applicants who require interpreters in a negative light. We know that not everyone speaks English, and we have a diverse staff who are glad to help interpret. (Many of us are studying the local languages so that we can communicate more easily, too!).............

I imagine that all of the above was annoying to read, given that your fiancee did not receive a visa.
Hope this helps.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Yes I had quite a bit of questions, apologies, but I am not a fresh wild eyed petitioner. I have been on this journey for 2 years now and have involved Senators and Congressperson from my district and state.

I was not annoyed by the answers actually and I found it quite educative. I think my Wife will be a little bit more comfortable during this next interview since I'm flying down to support her during this interview even if it means hanging out outside the gate. No worries.

If you have time in the future I would like you to address a rumor that based on the petition package that you have already made your decision prior to the interview. Thus many people "front load" with a lrge amount of relationship evidence with the petition. Petitioners dealing with posts in Visa Waiver Program countries do not do this.

Once again, thank you for your time.

PS: The cost of a flight to Lagos is about $1,000. I spend that on telephone calls in 4 months so that I can continue a relationship with my Wife. I think giving the USC an opportunity to come own to the interview will be a nice customer service opportunity. You also did not address my thoughts on performing a stokes interview if there is indeed a doubt about validity of the relationship. At least one South American country requires USC tobe at the interviews. In the Phillipines US embassy, USC are allowed into the interview. Why the double standard for Nigeria? Just curious.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by aojo: 6:10pm On Aug 01, 2013
@visaofficer,

i have been ff this thread from day one and has always wanted to ask a question but i didnt do so because its not immigrant related.I however see you have been responding to non immigrant enquiries and would appreciate if you answer mine too.

I renewed my US visa may last year along with my husband and at the interview was asked if i was hoping to make use of any medical aids while in the us to which i said no.That was the only reference made to a medical reason for my travel.at the point of entry in sep,i had an encounter with a border security official who made such a big deal about my pregnancy insisting i lied at my interview and that i must have told the consular i wasnt pregnant at the time of my interview.I told him the only reference made to my condition was if i was hoping to make use of medical aid to which i said no.He wasnt satisfied anyway and wanted me sent back to Nigeria.Thank God his superior didnt buy his suggestion and i was given a 2wk stay instead(i think he put into consideration i had 7K cash on me,it wasnt my first trip or visa to the us and i also have a valid 10yr uk visa)
I got in and applied for an i94 extension which was approved and this covered my entire stay in the us.i also made sure i paid for all bills with receipts(i did apply for a payment plan and paid ALL my bills with an outstanding of bout $600 from a bill of 12k).
As it is now,my family intends going in November to celebrate my son's first year birthday.Should i be worried about what might happen at the point of entry or do you think i should present my case at the embassy here before i leave.I remember the officer at the point of entry saying my 2yr visa would be cancelled if i stayed beyond 2wks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by kevweflex(m): 6:58pm On Aug 01, 2013
[quote author=kevwe_flex:

Sorry. Pls no offence. Don't you think that this misread, sometimes may cost someone's visa? Assuming it's an application being read. So my point here is dat few persons may have been victims of such. Just my opinion and no facts to back it anyway. Mistakes are inevitable sometimes.[/quote]

VisaOfficer:

No offense taken, and you're right -- sometimes we make mistakes. Sometimes we issue to people who shouldn't receive visas, and sometimes we fail to issue visas to people who would be great travellers. We are constantly training and trying to improve, to reduce our number of errors as much as possible. This thread is teaching me a lot and I'm sharing the information with my colleagues, so keep it coming!

Thanks. Please do share it with them.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by africanchilds: 7:02pm On Aug 01, 2013
tedd: A cousin of mine was issued a ten years visa ban to the UK in 2009 [/b]for forgery of his waec results.The results are actually genuine, it has the same data if you check on line or confirmation statement from [b]waec, but the physical certificate isnt.His original waec reluts got burnt in 2007. He innocently went to Yaba where waec hq is and fell into the hands of touts. Recently he asked me if he aaplied for a visa to the USA for a conference in November that he feels he wont be issued one because of his british ban? Please can you clear the air on this so i can advice him accordingly. Thanks

Since the Conference isnt Education Related, he doesnt need Provide his WAEC Certificate.
Being Banned at the UK doesnt restrict one from applying at the US.
Just ensure he fills the Form truthfully
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by africanchilds: 7:10pm On Aug 01, 2013
Wile.E.Coyote:

I was not annoyed by the answers actually and I found it quite educative. I think my Wife will be a little bit more comfortable during this next interview since I'm flying down to support her during this interview even if it means hanging out outside the gate. No worries.

If you have time in the future I would like you to address a rumor that based on the petition package that you have already made your decision prior to the interview. Thus many people "front load" with a lrge amount of relationship evidence with the petition. Petitioners dealing with posts in Visa Waiver Program countries do not do this.

I had my k-1 denied for immgration Purpose in 2012, My wife went through Spouse Visa.
According to information provided on www.visajourney.com , its advisable for Petitioner to Frontload.
Since immigration has to do with ability of Petitioner to provide and beneficiary to convince the CO.
Frontloading in my case helped my interview, as i was only asked 3 questions compared to over 10 questions asked
during my K-1 Interview

At least one South American country requires USC tobe at the interviews. In the Phillipines US embassy, USC are allowed into the interview. Why the double standard for Nigeria? Just curious.

I believe the consulate cant handle the emotion that comes with Nigerian (K1, Spouse)Visa.
They actually dont let the Presence count, as they would tell you its beyond them
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by justwise(m): 7:13pm On Aug 01, 2013
@africanchilds

Please allow the VisaOfficer to answer these questions for the limited time he has to do this.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by tedd(m): 7:54pm On Aug 01, 2013
africanchilds:

Since the Conference isnt Education Related, he doesnt need Provide his WAEC Certificate.
Being Banned at the UK doesnt restrict one from applying at the US.
Just ensure he fills the Form truthfully
Thanks for your reply. What if on his application form he's been asked if he has ever applied for a visa to any country before, he replies yes, then ask if he was given the visa, he replies no and he's been ask why and stated his honest reasons, will that spoil his chances of getting his visa?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by africanchilds: 8:22pm On Aug 01, 2013
tedd: Thanks for your reply. What if on his application form he's been asked if he has ever applied for a visa to any country before, he replies yes, then ask if he was given the visa, he replies no and he's been ask why and stated his honest reasons, will that spoil his chances of getting his visa?
Just wise advices against providing answers.hopefully the visaofficer would give a more clearing answer to you.

The ds160 doesn't require those lengthy details.interview is based on the form you filled.just be truthful
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Suretreasure: 12:02am On Aug 02, 2013
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by omgstar(m): 1:57am On Aug 02, 2013
My concern is about the non-immigrant student visa. I was recently denied for "not being able to demonstrate strong home ties"! I was very bummed because I hate such rejection when I know am totally honest. Am being sponsored by my Uncle's Company which I've really worked with and intend to return back to work with (its a great company with better prospects for me here in Nigeria than anywhere else in the world!). I stated this out clearly in my application and at my interview but I was still denied. I was honest and "confident" at my interview but was still denied. How else can I "demonstrate strong home ties"?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by emmpire: 4:15am On Aug 02, 2013
Dear VisaOfficer. Thanks for the great work you are doing here on this forum. I am a DV 2014 winner. I have an O' Level, OND (Ordinary National Diploma) and HND (Higher National Diploma). but my worry here is that the HND which I got thru a study center has not being issued yet cos the name of the school has been changed and the process of issuing statement of result is still ongoing. Meaning, I may not be able to present that HND statement of result should it not be readily available during the time of interview. But should it be, I would submit it but with a different school name from the one I was given during admission. As of now, I have already submitted my forms to KCC with the information. What should I do now?

PS. Should I also mail KCC informing them of this development, and should the result comes out before interview, should I also notify KCC with the new development of a different school name? Do u think I shold not worry myself as I am already qualified educationally (O'Level and OND) and job-wise? I will be most grateful if all the questions are touched. Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Malcolm28(m): 5:34am On Aug 02, 2013
Dear CO, I'd like to first of all appreciate the great work you are doing here. I have read all the posts and the very insightful replies you have given here. I am a DV2014 Selectee. I have already sent the filled out forms for myself, wife and 2 kids to KCC since May. My questions are as follows: 1. I live in Abuja with my family, can we have our medicals in Abuja before coming for the visa interview in Lagos or must the medicals be done at designated hospitals in lagos? 2. I haven't received a notification of receipt of my documents at KCC even though I have assurances that the documents have been delivered because I tracked the package sent through FedEx, do I assume everything is ok? 3. My case number is in the 76**range, when am I likely to have my interview. Looking forward to your responses. Thank you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:24am On Aug 02, 2013
okeymen:

I must confess, when I first came across your username as VisaOfficer, I thought someone was just setting up for a big scam. I am very very skeptical of information on the internet and always verify from numerous sources before I accept any information. I have read probably every answer or statement you have made on nairaland including your response to mine above and my doubts are 90% gone smiley. thanks very much and God bless you

So in 2006, i was in the UK from mid February to mid May, back for a month got married and traveled again shortly after from Mid June to Mid September, back for another month and traveled yet again in mid October to mid December. All the while i was in the UK I either stayed in a hotel or in Serviced apartments (paid for by the company i worked for in Nigeria) which was different every time. The only constant was the City. since it all sums up to 8 months really, i suppose i don't need a police report. But also I did have a house where I lived in my home country all the while and that's the reason i left it out. I just wish the form has space for explaining that the stay was not continuous. I will try and make the changes you suggested so as to be as plain and as transparent as possible.

God bless!!!

smiley The moderators here thought I was a scammer, too. They take good care of you guys! I sent one my real name, phone number, and e-mail address, and I guess he checked me out.

If you haven't spent more than 12 months in the UK, you won't need a police certificate. You're good to go.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:26am On Aug 02, 2013
tedd: A cousin of mine was issued a ten years visa ban to the UK in 2009 for forgery of his waec results.The results are actually genuine, it has the same data if you check on line or confirmation statement from waec, but the physical certificate isnt.His original waec reluts got burnt in 2007. He innocently went to Yaba where waec hq is and fell into the hands of touts. Recently he asked me if he aaplied for a visa to the USA for a conference in November that he feels he wont be issued one because of his british ban? Please can you clear the air on this so i can advice him accordingly. Thanks

I'm thinking his WAEC results (forged or not forged) won't be relevant to his interview for a U.S. visa and probably won't come up at all. If it does come up, just tell him to be honest. We respect people who tell us the truth even when they think it might make them look bad. I can't guarantee he'll get a visa, but if he doesn't, I don't think it will have anything to do with his WAEC papers.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:09am On Aug 02, 2013
Wile.E.Coyote:

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Yes I had quite a bit of questions, apologies, but I am not a fresh wild eyed petitioner. I have been on this journey for 2 years now and have involved Senators and Congressperson from my district and state.

Once again, thank you for your time.

PS: The cost of a flight to Lagos is about $1,000. I spend that on telephone calls in 4 months so that I can continue a relationship with my Wife. I think giving the USC an opportunity to come own to the interview will be a nice customer service opportunity. You also did not address my thoughts on performing a stokes interview if there is indeed a doubt about validity of the relationship. At least one South American country requires USC tobe at the interviews. In the Phillipines US embassy, USC are allowed into the interview. Why the double standard for Nigeria? Just curious.

Thanks for your reply! About frontloading the petition: Okay, I can only give my personal opinion on this one, I can't really speak for my colleagues. Personally, I hate it when people frontload their petitions. Once I got, literally, 800 pages of e-mails that all said "Love you!" on different dates. All I can think about when people give me hundreds of pages of e-mails is how many trees died just so I'll have to flip through four inches of paper. And there's no way to tell, from a frontloaded petition, if it's frontloaded because the relationship is real, or if it's frontloaded because the relationship's a total sham and the people involved just want to overwhelm us with paper.

That said, we don't make decisions prior to the interview except in the most extreme cases. I once got a petition that had a note on it to alert me that the petitioner had three active K petitions for three different women at the same time. In that case, I had a pretty strong opinion before the interview began. Even in that case, though, I double-checked to be sure it was true and asked the beneficiary the same questions I'd ask anyone else. Other cases look great on paper and I think, "This should be pretty straightforward." And usually those cases are fine. But we still ask questions because sometimes we're surprised when a case that looks good turns out to be awful. So, while we do form strong impressions, we know better than to think we can make a decision without talking to the beneficiary.

A note about evidence: It's totally unreliable. You wouldn't believe the awesome photo evidence we've seen for cases that turned out to be fraudulent. And I'm not sure I have any photo evidence of *my* last relationship, which was bona fide, although ultimately doomed. That's why we rely on interviews, not on documents.

(Also, a personal plea: If any of you know anyone who wants to submit really graphic photos or letters as relationship evidence, please tell them to think about it. I personally just find those annoying. We see those in bona fide cases and in fraudulent cases, so they neither help nor hurt, but they do make me irritable through their total inappropriateness.)

In spouse cases, we've started asking beneficiaries if the petitioners would be available to come to follow-up interviews, if the cases are so ambiguous that we can't make a decision without asking for additional evidence. We're not making it mandatory -- it's just a suggestion. I've occasionally done the same in fiance cases, if the beneficiary tells me that the petitioner is visiting or about to visit. I'll talk with my colleagues and see if we want to reshape our policy in this area.

Thanks for your input -- it's very useful!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:14am On Aug 02, 2013
aojo: @visaofficer,

i have been ff this thread from day one and has always wanted to ask a question but i didnt do so because its not immigrant related.I however see you have been responding to non immigrant enquiries and would appreciate if you answer mine too.

I renewed my US visa may last year along with my husband and at the interview was asked if i was hoping to make use of any medical aids while in the us to which i said no.That was the only reference made to a medical reason for my travel.at the point of entry in sep,i had an encounter with a border security official who made such a big deal about my pregnancy insisting i lied at my interview and that i must have told the consular i wasnt pregnant at the time of my interview.I told him the only reference made to my condition was if i was hoping to make use of medical aid to which i said no.He wasnt satisfied anyway and wanted me sent back to Nigeria.Thank God his superior didnt buy his suggestion and i was given a 2wk stay instead(i think he put into consideration i had 7K cash on me,it wasnt my first trip or visa to the us and i also have a valid 10yr uk visa)
I got in and applied for an i94 extension which was approved and this covered my entire stay in the us.i also made sure i paid for all bills with receipts(i did apply for a payment plan and paid ALL my bills with an outstanding of bout $600 from a bill of 12k).
As it is now,my family intends going in November to celebrate my son's first year birthday.Should i be worried about what might happen at the point of entry or do you think i should present my case at the embassy here before i leave.I remember the officer at the point of entry saying my 2yr visa would be cancelled if i stayed beyond 2wks.

Given that you applied for the I-94 extension and it was approved, you should be fine. It sounds like you were in full compliance with U.S. law at all times during your travels. Just be ready to say "I applied for an extension and it was approved!" if anyone asked. But based on the above, it sounds to me like you'll be fine.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:17am On Aug 02, 2013
tedd: Thanks for your reply. What if on his application form he's been asked if he has ever applied for a visa to any country before, he replies yes, then ask if he was given the visa, he replies no and he's been ask why and stated his honest reasons, will that spoil his chances of getting his visa?

I'm pretty sure the application form only asks about U.S. visas. Anyway, just be honest. smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:19am On Aug 02, 2013
Suretreasure: Hello Visa Officer, I appreciate the job u're doing here. I'm a winner of the DV 2014. I applied wen I was in Ghana (University) but I got a transfer from the University in May 2013, i'm now in a Caribbean University. I've send my form to KCC with the true information and also indicated that I want my interview to be in one of the Embassy here in the Caribbean (Barbados to be precised).
I'll like to know if this will affect my chances of getting the Visa. Thanks.

Congratulations! Transferring the case won't affect your chances. As long as you can show that you have at least a high school education (which clearly you do), and that you listed all the members of your family (if you're married / have kids) on your original application, and if you don't have any ineligibilities (for example, a criminal record), you'll be fine. Enjoy Barbados!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (66)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Thread for South Korea prospective students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.