Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,120 members, 7,821,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (517469 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 5:23pm On Aug 05, 2013
amarachi007: If you are a husband and wife in the immigration process (IR-1 Visa)and you separated and divorced before NVC. However you got remarried by the time of interview would you have to start all over in the petitioning? Or with good explanation for divorce and reconciliation be good enough to consider?

Is that one of those be honest up front situations or would you be doomed to being denied and never being able to immigrate?

Good news! I asked our legal advisor in the U.S. and it turns out there IS a loophole! "Posts often return such cases to USCIS -- who will just reaffirm them as long as the relationship is otherwise valid. However you do have the option to move forward with the case, and not return, where the relationship is legally and otherwise valid, despite the pit stop." In short, as usual, being honest will not hurt your case! (This is an unusual situation, so you may want to print out this post and have it with you to show the officer, just in case.)

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 5:24pm On Aug 05, 2013
sholly: I wonder if i should just defer because i just had my sevie done my MBA orientation is 22nd of august and i wonder if i still got a chance to book appointment and meet it before the Orientation begins? Please help me with the right info and best option for me. will i be able to get an appointment day for my interview soon?

I'm pretty sure there are appointments available. Personally I'd rather miss a day of orientation than miss a whole year of school. My advice is to try and get an appointment.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by interestingleap: 7:21pm On Aug 05, 2013
Urgent advice needed. A friend has a Visitor VISA interview this week. She would be visiting a friend but she filled a wrong information in the "Organization Name in the U.S." field for her friend.
The friend she would be visiting already left the company she imputed and is now working in another equally reputable firm but she had already submitted the form only for this info to come up recently. What would you advise at the interview if questions are asked in this regard.
Thanks you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Kunsoft(m): 1:16am On Aug 06, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Four rejections in one year do paint a negative picture. I would wait until your personal circumstances have changed significantly enough that the next officer can see why he or she should issue a visa, in spite of the past refusals.

Thanks alot. i'm currently working on my predicament. Actually i'm a graduate of Higher National Diploma (HND) seeking Undergraduate Admission at the age of 30. i believe that can be one of the red flags. But now seeking Post Graduate studies in another country. Hopefully i will do my PhD in US later.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by amarachi007: 3:08am On Aug 06, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Good news! I asked our legal advisor in the U.S. and it turns out there IS a loophole! "Posts often return such cases to USCIS -- who will just reaffirm them as long as the relationship is otherwise valid. However you do have the option to move forward with the case, and not return, where the relationship is legally and otherwise valid, despite the pit stop." In short, as usual, being honest will not hurt your case! (This is an unusual situation, so you may want to print out this post and have it with you to show the officer, just in case.)

So just go to interview with divorce papers and new marriage certificate. We also have the original marriage certificate from the first time?

Should we notify the embassy ahead of time. My wife plans on being at interview. I am sure they may have questions.

Thank you for your input.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by thuyahky(m): 3:59am On Aug 06, 2013
[quote author=thuyahky][/quote]
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:53am On Aug 06, 2013
interestingleap: Urgent advice needed. A friend has a Visitor VISA interview this week. She would be visiting a friend but she filled a wrong information in the "Organization Name in the U.S." field for her friend.
The friend she would be visiting already left the company she imputed and is now working in another equally reputable firm but she had already submitted the form only for this info to come up recently. What would you advise at the interview if questions are asked in this regard.
Thanks you.

Shouldn't be a problem. Just tell the truth if asked and everything should be fine.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:54am On Aug 06, 2013
amarachi007:

So just go to interview with divorce papers and new marriage certificate. We also have the original marriage certificate from the first time?

Should we notify the embassy ahead of time. My wife plans on being at interview. I am sure they may have questions.

Thank you for your input.

I'd bring all the relevant documents and explain it at the time of the interview. No need to notify anyone ahead of time. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by thuyahky(m): 8:41am On Aug 06, 2013
thuyahky: @visa officer what i mean ‎​į̸̸̨§ that have already change the address and the email when am filling the dsp form,hope have not make a mistake
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by gustavus24589: 1:22pm On Aug 06, 2013
hello, i went for a visa interview at the Abuja embassy, and i do not know if i was awarded the visa, the man who interviewed me asked questions, looked at my documents and then after he had done this he advised me too make time for an extra three hours delay if i was taking connecting flights within the us to my destination for additional screening by the us immigration, then he gave me a paper titled collecting your issued visitors visa, and held on to my international passport, and called the next person, and i turned and went home, but unlike the other interviews i didn't hear him say " your visa request has been approved" i'm a bit worried because i realize i saw some people still hanging around whose names were called and they answered some questions, this people were not on the line with me, and so i suspect that the had seen the interviewer and had waited for some additional info, i don't know if there is some additional process i should have gone through or if i was right to leave as soon as the next person was called.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:21pm On Aug 06, 2013
[quote author=thuyahky][/quote]

I apologize -- I don't understand your question...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:25pm On Aug 06, 2013
gustavus24589: hello, i went for a visa interview at the Abuja embassy, and i do not know if i was awarded the visa, the man who interviewed me asked questions, looked at my documents and then after he had done this he advised me too make time for an extra three hours delay if i was taking connecting flights within the us to my destination for additional screening by the us immigration, then he gave me a paper titled collecting your issued visitors visa, and held on to my international passport, and called the next person, and i turned and went home, but unlike the other interviews i didn't hear him say " your visa request has been approved" i'm a bit worried because i realize i saw some people still hanging around whose names were called and they answered some questions, this people were not on the line with me, and so i suspect that the had seen the interviewer and had waited for some additional info, i don't know if there is some additional process i should have gone through or if i was right to leave as soon as the next person was called.

It sounds to me like your visa was granted! My apologies that you weren't told directly -- sometimes things get hectic and statements go unheard -- as you know, it can get a bit chaotic in a visa waiting room. But if you have your issuance letter and the officer kept your passport, I believe you're good to go!

BTW, posts like this are very useful to me. They help us do a better job. So thank you, very much.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Malcolm28(m): 5:19pm On Aug 06, 2013
Hello CO,
Thanks for the brilliant responses to the questions here. I am a DV2014 selectee and have asked questions and received answers from you before. My question goes thus: In Question 10 on the DS0230 FORM where the following question was asked "Permanent Address in the United States where you intend to live if known (Street Name Including Zip Code) Include the name of the person who currently lives there" My response was " Permanent Address in the United States where I intend to Live not known yet". Will this affect my application? and should I immediately get an address and file to KCC to ensure I am not denied a visa? I'd appreciate your take on this. Much appreciated Sir.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by thuyahky(m): 2:53am On Aug 07, 2013
VisaOfficer:

I apologize -- I don't understand your question...
what i mean ‎​į̸̸̨§ that the address and email that i use in the initial stage when applying for the dv am no longer use it again so when am filling the dsp form have change it to the new one,hope have not make a mistake
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by interestingleap: 5:07am On Aug 07, 2013
VisaOfficer:
Shouldn't be a problem. Just tell the truth if asked and everything should be fine.
Thank you VO, my friend's VISA was granted.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by interestingleap: 5:34am On Aug 07, 2013
interestingleap: Hi VisaOffice,
My intention is to visit my brother who just started working after haven recently completed his graduate program in the US and also take my son to Disneyland during our visit. I currently work in a well known multinational but my passport is still virgin.I am not sure whether to simply apply to visit my brother or apply to vacation at disney or if I should combine both intentions in my application.Kindly advice on an option that might increase my chances. Could my virgin passport affect my chances?
Just to mention, my spouse is currently undergoing an educational program in Europe hence he wouldn't be going with us. Thank you
VisaOfficer:
Hi there! I'm a fan of telling the whole truth, so, I'd just tell the officer exactly what you told me about your plans. If you're otherwise qualified, having two different reasons to visit the U.S. won't prejudice your case at all. Best of luck!

Thank you for your earlier response. My purpose for wanting to visit the US is primarily for my Vacation at Disney world but I also intend seeing my brother. Based on this, I am at a loss as to which detail to fill into the under-listed fields in my DS-160 form. Not sure if it should be that of the vacation booking company or my brothers'.

Contact Person Name in the U.S.:
Organization Name in the U.S.:
Relationship to You:
U.S. Contact Address:
Phone Number:
Email Address:

Kindly enlighten.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by justwise(m): 7:03am On Aug 07, 2013
@goldentie4real

I just hide your post because of the email address you added. Post with no contact detail else it will be hidden again.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by goldentie4real: 7:17am On Aug 07, 2013
Good morning visa officer. Please i need your advise on this issue my. When my dad was filling for his green me and my 3 other siblings where less than 21yrs and he included our names in his application as beneficiary but by the time he got his green card in 2000 most of us were already above 21 and unfortunately both him and his attorney failed to petition for us. He got his citizenship around 2010 and when he felt like petitioning for us different people are saying we will queue for years because we are not in the immediate family category. Now these are my questions 1. Must we wait for many years again despite the fact that we were less than 21 when he was filling for his green card. 2. We all have wifes and some have children but not legally married does that help in anyway 3. If my dad petition for us how long will it take before we can be given visa. Is there anyway you can help. Please we need your expert advice infact things are not working well for us, two of us were disengaged from our banking job few years back we are suffering thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by justwise(m): 9:10am On Aug 07, 2013
goldentie4real: Good morning visa officer. Please i need your advise on this issue my. When my dad was filling for his green me and my 3 other siblings where less than 21yrs and he included our names in his application as beneficiary but by the time he got his green card in 2000 most of us were already above 21 and unfortunately both him and his attorney failed to petition for us. He got his citizenship around 2010 and when he felt like petitioning for us different people are saying we will queue for years because we are not in the immediate family category. Now these are my questions 1. Must we wait for many years again despite the fact that we were less than 21 when he was filling for his green card. 2. We all have wifes and some have children but not legally married does that help in anyway 3. If my dad petition for us how long will it take before we can be given visa. Is there anyway you can help. Please we need your expert advice infact things are not working well for us, two of us were disengaged from our banking job few years back we are suffering thanks.

Was that why you added you contact details before? Anyway.........
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by ola2tu: 11:10am On Aug 07, 2013
Hello VO, I need a C1/D Visa to the States. I have never applied to the States under any category of non-immigrant Visa; What must I do to obtain the C1/D Visa? Do I have to apply for a Visiting Visa then change my status or must I get all necessary documents for the C1/D visa and apply directy? Please acknowledge..
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:26am On Aug 07, 2013
thuyahky: what i mean ‎​į̸̸̨§ that the address and email that i use in the initial stage when applying for the dv am no longer use it again so when am filling the dsp form have change it to the new one,hope have not make a mistake

It shouldn't be a problem. It's certainly not a disqualification.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:27am On Aug 07, 2013
Malcolm28: Hello CO,
Thanks for the brilliant responses to the questions here. I am a DV2014 selectee and have asked questions and received answers from you before. My question goes thus: In Question 10 on the DS0230 FORM where the following question was asked "Permanent Address in the United States where you intend to live if known (Street Name Including Zip Code) Include the name of the person who currently lives there" My response was " Permanent Address in the United States where I intend to Live not known yet". Will this affect my application? and should I immediately get an address and file to KCC to ensure I am not denied a visa? I'd appreciate your take on this. Much appreciated Sir.

As long as you can provide an address at the time of your interview, it's fine. Best of luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:28am On Aug 07, 2013
interestingleap:

Thank you for your earlier response. My purpose for wanting to visit the US is primarily for my Vacation at Disney world but I also intend seeing my brother. Based on this, I am at a loss as to which detail to fill into the under-listed fields in my DS-160 form. Not sure if it should be that of the vacation booking company or my brothers'.

Contact Person Name in the U.S.:
Organization Name in the U.S.:
Relationship to You:
U.S. Contact Address:
Phone Number:
Email Address:

Kindly enlighten.

Either one is fine. Personally, I'd list my brother as the contact person, just in case we actually have to try to get in touch with you at some point.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:35am On Aug 07, 2013
goldentie4real: Good morning visa officer. Please i need your advise on this issue my. When my dad was filling for his green me and my 3 other siblings where less than 21yrs and he included our names in his application as beneficiary but by the time he got his green card in 2000 most of us were already above 21 and unfortunately both him and his attorney failed to petition for us. He got his citizenship around 2010 and when he felt like petitioning for us different people are saying we will queue for years because we are not in the immediate family category. Now these are my questions 1. Must we wait for many years again despite the fact that we were less than 21 when he was filling for his green card. 2. We all have wifes and some have children but not legally married does that help in anyway 3. If my dad petition for us how long will it take before we can be given visa. Is there anyway you can help. Please we need your expert advice infact things are not working well for us, two of us were disengaged from our banking job few years back we are suffering thanks.

1. Yes, you will have to wait. Your age at the time your father filed for his green card does not matter; what matters is your age at the time he actually files a petition for you.
2. There ARE different visa categories for married and unmarried children. However, I would strongly advise you NOT to remain unmarried just because you don't want to wait a little longer for a visa. This is me speaking personally, not professionally, here: You say you have wives and children; don't the mothers of your children deserve to have their husbands at their sides? Don't they deserve the honor of a legal marriage? Seriously, marry your wife and travel with her. Again, that's my personal opinion, not professional advice.
3. You ask, "If my dad petition for us how long will it take before we can be given visa." It depends on your visa category and the date your father files the petitions. You can check the priority dates at http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html .
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:36am On Aug 07, 2013
ola2tu: Hello VO, I need a C1/D Visa to the States. I have never applied to the States under any category of non-immigrant Visa; What must I do to obtain the C1/D Visa? Do I have to apply for a Visiting Visa then change my status or must I get all necessary documents for the C1/D visa and apply directy? Please acknowledge..

Let me ask a colleague... smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 1:05pm On Aug 07, 2013
ola2tu: Hello VO, I need a C1/D Visa to the States. I have never applied to the States under any category of non-immigrant Visa; What must I do to obtain the C1/D Visa? Do I have to apply for a Visiting Visa then change my status or must I get all necessary documents for the C1/D visa and apply directy? Please acknowledge..

My colleague replies:

The process to apply for a transit visa the same as for a tourist visa. You will be prompted when filling out the DS-160 form to choose C-1/D (transit) as your purpose of travel. You do not need to apply for a tourist visa first.

To apply for a transit visa, you must show:
• Intent to pass in immediate and continuous transit through the United States.
• A common carrier ticket or other evidence of transportation arrangements to your destination.
• Sufficient funds to carry out the purpose of your transit journey.
• Permission to enter another country upon departure from the United States.

Visit http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ to read more about the visa process and payment instructions.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by goldentie4real: 2:38pm On Aug 07, 2013
[quote author=VisaOfficer]

1. Yes, you will have to wait. Your age at the time your father filed for his green card does not matter; what matters is your age at the time he actually files a petition for you.
2. There ARE different visa categories for married and unmarried children. However, I would strongly advise you NOT to remain unmarried just because you don't want to wait a little longer for a visa. This is me speaking personally, not professionally, here: You say you have wives and children; don't the mothers of your children deserve to have their husbands at their sides? Don't they deserve the honor of a legal marriage? Seriously, marry your wife and travel with her. Again, that's my personal opinion, not professional advice.
3. You ask, "If my dad petition for us how long will it take before we can be given visa." It depends on your visa category and the date your father files the petitions. Please i need professional advise not personal opinion
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by olivialuv(m): 2:46pm On Aug 07, 2013
Sir, I have this problem of age on my form, I have sworn oath of age declaration a
nd national population sensors on 1984 and my passport is 1981 , I have being having problem correcting this . If I fail to correct before the interview date will it obviously affect me becuase I have being making effort to change it but nor avail. Just to add , I am one of the 2014 selectee .
Any body in the house that can help me change the year of my birth please I need your help
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:56pm On Aug 07, 2013
goldentie4real: Please i need professional advise not personal opinion

And you got both! smiley The professional advice is there and the personal opinion is clearly marked.

Here is just the professional advice:

2. There ARE different visa categories for married and unmarried children. However, I would strongly advise you NOT to remain unmarried just because you don't want to wait a little longer for a visa.
3. You ask, "If my dad petition for us how long will it take before we can be given visa." It depends on your visa category and the date your father files the petitions. You can check the priority dates at http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html .
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by rafcrown(m): 5:17pm On Aug 07, 2013
Sir, How can a British Passport holder work legally in the USA?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (66)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Thread for South Korea prospective students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.