Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (517847 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by radical05: 6:45am On Oct 01, 2013
Thank you so much for your response. But unfortunately, when I asked him, he said he didn't fill me as a US contact during the NIV application because he feared they might deny him at the embassy solely because of that i.e they might feel his main aim was actually to come and re-unite with me and not for the conference and therefore seen as an intending immigrant(those were his silly excuses). I hope this omission wont pose a problem? I do have a lot of pictures that we took together, facebook messages and emails before I traveled to US that could show we have known each other for long. Once again, thank you for your anticipated response. God bless you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by usef83: 9:47am On Oct 01, 2013
VERY URGENT, DEAR VO. a friend of mine who suppose to depart nigeria to US on thursda
y time 230pm.havin informed his employee about ihis travellin.now the company said dat won't giv any of its benefits until he bring a letter from d embassy..SIR,pls kindly look into dis case n assist.even d guy can't wait to get the benefits d wife can collect it on his behalf..thanks as I await ur responds.peace.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by karsah: 10:14am On Oct 01, 2013
is the bank statement really necessary for dv visa application
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by malioo: 12:08pm On Oct 01, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings -- While I can't comment on individual cases, I can say that unfortunately many cases that are under administrative processing are not going to be resolved in time to print visas before midnight tonight. This is one of the hazards of having an interview late in the DV season.

That is exactly what happened but she is worried now if this will affect her if she applys for a student visa later since she's supposed to resume her mph program in texas for spring session
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:32am On Oct 02, 2013
nairacountry: Visa Officer, I have this question and I want you to give me a sincere answer please. IS IT QUITE POSSIBLE TO BE INTERVIEWED WITHOUT ONE FINGER PRINT BEEN TAKEN?
This my case: I was @ d embassy on Thursday 26th Sept.,2013 as appointed. My company decided to send me this year (as always her ttadition) in attending d forthcoming IBA conference coming up between 6th-11th Oct, 2013 in Boston. Since I do not have a visa, I did apply and was given appointment for the said date. Though it happened to be my very first date in d US (including any other) embassy, but I took notice d process; applicant walked up 1st to d window with the corresponding number in d ticket you are holding and submit your passport. You are then expected to sit and wait till your ticket number appeared again; which is for finger print captured,then you'll sit in expectation of d third time your ticket number appeared which will b for d interview proper where you will know whether you are successful or not.
HOWEVER, MINE WASTN LIKE THE ABOVE SCENARIO, I WAS INTERVIED AT THE SECOND STAGE OF THE PROCESS. Need I add that I was denied? Surely, I was denied because my interviewer had no or lesser information about me while the interview last.
I hate the fact that I was denied due to someone's mistake. All the same, I have moved on with my life, back to my lovely wife & kids in Abuja.

Greetings! We don't see ANY refusals for Sept. 26 in which no fingerprints were taken. Are you sure you weren't interviewed by the person who took your fingerprints? I'm just checking. Sometimes we have a person who's only taking fingerprints, and sometimes the interviewing officer will take your fingerprints and then do the interview him- or herself; it just depends how we're staffed on a given day and how many applicants there are.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:36am On Oct 02, 2013
kjexy:

Ok thanks Sir.... But was Only trying to know if those two answers I gave both times amounted to my refusal & to also know if my getting an admission into another university won't limit my chances of getting the visa the 3rd time...

I don't know what led to your refusals. If you qualify for the other university, and you can explain why you want to go there and how you'll pay, you MIGHT be able to get a visa. But frankly if you've already been refused twice and you come back right away wanting to go to a different school, it's going to look like you're more interested in getting to the U.S. than you are in being a serious student. If you didn't qualify the first two times, what's going to be different this time?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:38am On Oct 02, 2013
riteaide: I liked the question about the dog too!! There are good natured people out there. smiley smiley

I have a question Visa Officer, if someone plans to attend a paid conference in the US, can they stay with family or friends during the duration?

Or can staying in a friend or family's house spoil chances of getting a visa? Thank you

Greetings! I don't see why they can't stay with family or friends. If they qualify for the visa otherwise, that shouldn't change anything. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:39am On Oct 02, 2013
daywalker14: Thank you sir, also, in a case where one has 2 signatures, can both signatures be used in the DSP 122 and DS 230 when processing without any prejudice in visa decision by interviewing officer?

That wouldn't be a problem. The only problem would be if we can tell that the signatures are not from the same person. smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by hammerh(f): 7:42am On Oct 02, 2013
VO: good morning,US Govt Officially Shutdown...I hope this will not affect embassies and consulate in diaspora. Esp here in naija #justthinkingtho
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:45am On Oct 02, 2013
Lhanray_26:

Ok thanks Sir.... But was Only trying to know if those two answers I gave both times amounted to my refusal & to also know if my getting an admission into another university won't limit my chances of getting the visa the 3rd time...

I really don't know why your applications were refused. The refusals will make it more difficult for you to get a visa if you try again right away; the officer will ask what is different this time. Good luck to you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by HABRUZZY(m): 7:46am On Oct 02, 2013
good morning all please i have a question as an OND holder what category do i fall under the listed

Highest level of education you have achieved, as of today: (1) Primary school only, (2) Some high school, no diploma, (3) High school diploma, (4) Vocational school, (5) Some university courses, (6) University degree, (7) Some graduate-level courses, (cool Master’s degree, (9) Some doctoral - level courses, and (10) Doctorate.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:49am On Oct 02, 2013
stevewale: Dear VO, you are really doing a good job here and God will reward and bless you dearly.

Pls my fiancé who is a US citizen will be filing for me next month. We have know each other before she left the country and recently reconnected back online. She was home (i.e in naija) recently and we took different photographs. Her parents too has met with mine and we also all took group photograph. I am currently employ and my salary is 122k. I have a savings account which I saved part of my salary into monthly and I have up to 350k plus in it.

She wanna file a fiancée visa for me so we would wed in Georgia Atlanta. Please am I qualify and I hope I wont have any challenge at the interview as regards my salary and the amount in my savings (I am a graduate). My fiancée too is currently working there.

Thanks in anticipation for your apt response.

Greetings! We don't ask a lot of questions about finances at a fiance interview. We're more interested in becoming convinced that it's a bona fide relationship. You should be able to discuss how you met and how your relationship has developed -- all the normal questions a person should reasonably be able to answer about his or her relationship.

If I could make a plea here -- I know that you are a person of good upbringing and would not do this -- but everyone, please tell your friends not to submit photos of themselves that they wouldn't show to their own parents. We see some pretty explicit photos here and they do NOT convince us that relationships are bona fide; we're more like, "Who in the world TOOK this picture and why was he or she in these people's bedroom when that was happening?!?" It's very distracting.

4 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:55am On Oct 02, 2013
veritas10: Thanks VO it really helped. I think she might as well go ahead and file. But 10yrs is a long time . Anyway I read in one of the replies u gave concerning the exclusion of nigeria from DV 2015 that the advantage is that the wait times for the other 2 categories i.e skilled professionals and reuniting family would be hastened. So are there chances that the 10yrs can be shortened.

I don't know yet how this will play out. I'm hoping that wait times will be shortened. But, the wait times aren't just for Nigeria; they're worldwide. So the fact that Nigeria will no longer participate in the DV program may not have an effect upon priority dates.

The effect it will have: When NVC contacts me and says "We have 200 family-based cases if you can schedule them in November," I can say, "Yes, let's schedule them" instead of "I'm sorry, we're completely booked in November due to Diversity Visas." We'll be able to schedule more fiance cases every day, too! It's going to be awesome. smiley

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:57am On Oct 02, 2013
bamideleniayo: Thank You VO for ur Reply... But I just want a little clarification one that same Question( 6) in the DSP-122 form, where it says
HIGH SCHOOL NO DEGREE
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA
COLLEGE NO DEGREE
UNIVERSITY DEFREE etc.. So for someone with just SSCE as the Highest level of Education completed which one is APPLICABLE.
Because rumour has it that HIGH SCHOOL NO DEGREE applies to people who dropped out of school and HiGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA applies to people who finished High School applicable to SSCE.. PLs I need ur esteemed clarification... Thank You

You're right, "high school no degree" means someone left high school before completing the program, and "high school diploma" means SSCE or some other equivalent. If someone is "high school no degree," he or she won't qualify for a Diversity Visa unless s/he has at least two years of qualifying work experience.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:00am On Oct 02, 2013
radical05: Thank you so much for your response. But unfortunately, when I asked him, he said he didn't fill me as a US contact during the NIV application because he feared they might deny him at the embassy solely because of that i.e they might feel his main aim was actually to come and re-unite with me and not for the conference and therefore seen as an intending immigrant(those were his silly excuses). I hope this omission wont pose a problem? I do have a lot of pictures that we took together, facebook messages and emails before I traveled to US that could show we have known each other for long. Once again, thank you for your anticipated response. God bless you.

As long as the applicant can talk about the relationship credibly and answer reasonable questions, if it's a genuine relationship, there shouldn't be any problem. We like photos when they clearly show a span of months and years. When they were all taken during the same visit, they're not as useful. But there shouldn't be any problem just because he didn't list you as his contact in the NIV appplication -- especially if he explains why!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:01am On Oct 02, 2013
usef83: VERY URGENT, DEAR VO. a friend of mine who suppose to depart nigeria to US on thursda
y time 230pm.havin informed his employee about ihis travellin.now the company said dat won't giv any of its benefits until he bring a letter from d embassy..SIR,pls kindly look into dis case n assist.even d guy can't wait to get the benefits d wife can collect it on his behalf..thanks as I await ur responds.peace.

Unfortunately writing letters to employers is not a service we offer. He can show them his U.S. visa and tell them I said that that ought to be official enough for anyone... smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:02am On Oct 02, 2013
karsah: is the bank statement really necessary for dv visa application

Nope, not even a little bit necessary.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:05am On Oct 02, 2013
malioo:

That is exactly what happened but she is worried now if this will affect her if she applys for a student visa later since she's supposed to resume her mph program in texas for spring session

Hmm... has she already been in the U.S. studying? If so, she shouldn't have much of a problem going back. I hope things work out for her.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:06am On Oct 02, 2013
hammerh: VO: good morning,US Govt Officially Shutdown...I hope this will not affect embassies and consulate in diaspora. Esp here in naija #justthinkingtho

So far all Embassies and Consulates are still open and operational, no changes. I doubt we would ever close an overseas post due to a government shutdown, but if it looks like that might happen, I promise to let you all know!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:14am On Oct 02, 2013
HABRUZZY: good morning all please i have a question as an OND holder what category do i fall under the listed

Highest level of education you have achieved, as of today: (1) Primary school only, (2) Some high school, no diploma, (3) High school diploma, (4) Vocational school, (5) Some university courses, (6) University degree, (7) Some graduate-level courses, (cool Master’s degree, (9) Some doctoral - level courses, and (10) Doctorate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OND is a non-degree certificate, right? From a two-year polytechnical school? I think that would fall under "vocational school." Nairalanders, please chime in if I'm totally off base.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by hammerh(f): 8:14am On Oct 02, 2013
VisaOfficer:

So far all Embassies and Consulates are still open and operational, no changes. I doubt we would ever close an overseas post due to a government shutdown, but if it looks like that might happen, I promise to let you all know!

Thank you sir and have a blessed day!!! will send you an update on the adoption process soon!

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by solomonwis(m): 9:02am On Oct 02, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OND is a non-degree certificate, right? From a two-year polytechnical school? I think that would fall under "vocational school." Nairalanders, please chime in if I'm totally off base.

You are very right about that. Nice day!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nairacountry(m): 11:48am On Oct 02, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! We don't see ANY refusals for Sept. 26 in which no fingerprints were taken. Are you sure you weren't interviewed by the person who took your fingerprints? I'm just checking. Sometimes we have a person who's only taking fingerprints, and sometimes the interviewing officer will take your fingerprints and then do the interview him- or herself; it just depends how we're staffed on a given day and how many applicants there are.
This is serious! I was @ d US Embassy on Thur 26th of Sept., 2013 by 7:30am. I was ushered in to the interview room @ about 10am or there about with TICKET. NO 241 (that I can't forget). VO, I must confess to you, I'm shaking as I am typing this. Shaking not because of the refusal (though REJECTION hurts & hunt me a lot) but bcoz of your interim findings.
Kindly use my ticket no as stated above to be more factual with your findings sir. I really appreciate your kind gesture dear VO.
I won't mind a mail from u sir, so I can give u my complete bio data
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nairacountry(m): 11:51am On Oct 02, 2013
VisaOfficer:

This is serious! I was @ d US Embassy on Thur 26th of Sept., 2013 by 7:30am. I was ushered in to the interview room @ about 10am or there about with TICKET. NO 241 (that I can't forget). VO, I must confess to you, I'm shaking as I am typing this. Shaking not because of the refusal (though REJECTION hurts & hunt me a lot) but bcoz of your interim findings.
Kindly use my ticket no as stated above to be more factual with your findings sir. I really appreciate your kind gesture dear VO.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 1:12pm On Oct 02, 2013
nairacountry:

Yes, please send your name and date of birth to LagosNIV@state.gov so they can check. Make sure you explain the situation in that e-mail or it will get lost amid all the other inquiries.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 1:13pm On Oct 02, 2013
nairacountry:

Were you at the Embassy in Abuja, or the Consulate in Lagos?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by adesojiaderemi(m): 3:40pm On Oct 02, 2013
VisaOfficer:

ND is more of Associate degree base on the course outline and course duration.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by supasta(f): 3:44pm On Oct 02, 2013
Greetings VisaOfficer
I solicit your response to assist someone very close......... Mr A got married to Mrs A in 2003 was selected in 2003 for DV 2004, at there interview in 2004 wit their marriage certificate from d registry and photo album... they were refused visas wit d remark "your original DV lottery was not properly filled in comformance with the rules and regulations of the DV program, and is therefore disqualified.You are not eligibile to participate in the dv-2004 program"....note dat mr A was d principal applicant..sadly, they have been separated for some years but yet to divorce officially... ..miss B intends applying for a US Visa, would it be discoverd that she was there 9yrs ago on a DV visa ...can dis jeorpadise her chances as she wishes to apply as an unmarried woman...or does she have to quote the DV2004 application which they were denied...since she doesn't want to bear Mr A's name, so can she use her maiden name?...also she hasn't had any US visa application since the DV2004 encounter...I look forward to ur sincere response,...thanks and stay good.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nairacountry(m): 4:04pm On Oct 02, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Were you at the Embassy in Abuja, or the Consulate in Lagos?
grin V I Lagos.

"....... get lost amid all the other
inquiries" Same reason I want you help me out. If not for someone like you, I would have resigned to fate. How is your day going sir?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by HABRUZZY(m): 5:43pm On Oct 02, 2013
VisaOfficer:

thanks forthe swift responds there for when applying for dvlottery 2015 i should select vocational school right
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by vtdluv: 8:28pm On Oct 02, 2013
Hello Vo,

Please my visa was approved last week Wednesday and i was asked by the consular officer at the end of my interview to pick up my K1 visa at the collection center today in VI, but i got there and was told it wasn't there yet but i should check back by Friday hopefully,My fiance called the consulate today was told i check back same friday too sad hopefully please i would require your assistance if possible for an expedited process because my flight has been scheduled for this weekend sad ... You are my last hope for a positive outcome on this after God.

thanks for your usual assistance.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by thuyahky(m): 10:41pm On Oct 02, 2013
VisaOfficer:

@visa officer hope this shutdown will not affect the visa bulletin also the dv lottery winners interview.

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (66)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Thread for South Korea prospective students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.