Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,564 members, 7,865,359 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 04:23 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (518577 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Zeleez: 8:45am On Oct 04, 2013
Gudmorn VO, i am one of the dv 2014 winners, am a serving corps member(NYSC). My question is this now that i hv not gotten the certificate, but i hv my ID card, photocopy of my postin letter, and monthly clearance from my place of primary assignment. Do i stil go to NYSC for leter of identification?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by favoredgal: 9:26am On Oct 04, 2013
@visaofficer...God bless you real good for your work on this thread

2 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:44am On Oct 04, 2013
Zeleez: Gudmorn VO, i am one of the dv 2014 winners, am a serving corps member(NYSC). My question is this now that i hv not gotten the certificate, but i hv my ID card, photocopy of my postin letter, and monthly clearance from my place of primary assignment. Do i stil go to NYSC for leter of identification?

If you have all that other identification, I wouldn't worry too much about the certificate. We're much more interested in talking to you than in seeing your documents, anyway. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 11:48am On Oct 04, 2013
favored gal: @visaofficer...God bless you real good for your work on this thread

Thanks, Favored Gal! I recognize you from https://www.nairaland.com/608780/usa-visit-visa -- keep up the good work and positive energy!

2 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by oyesmiling: 12:03pm On Oct 04, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Every case is different. Basically, you'll need to show that you can afford the trip and that you intend to abide by the terms of the visa.

Thanks, is it advisable for me to accept invitation letter from a friend who is usa citizen? And should i plan to stay with him or book hotel? Please
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:29pm On Oct 04, 2013
oyesmiling:

Thanks, is it advisable for me to accept invitation letter from a friend who is usa citizen? And should i plan to stay with him or book hotel? Please

Greetings! In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you'll be staying with a friend or at a hotel. What we're interested in is seeing that you have a reason to travel and a reason to come home, and that you can pay for your trip.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by oyesmiling: 12:57pm On Oct 04, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you'll be staying with a friend or at a hotel. What we're interested in is seeing that you have a reason to travel and a reason to come home, and that you can pay for your trip.

Thanks for your prompt response, may God strenghten u.
For full advice sir, I am a CEO of my private registered company wt monthly salary of #550,000. The company is into a agro allied and construction business. I budgeted #3million for the trip. I sincerely will love to know if that will suffice for my intending trip.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 1:55pm On Oct 04, 2013
oyesmiling:

Thanks for your prompt response, may God strenghten u.
For full advice sir, I am a CEO of my private registered company wt monthly salary of #550,000. The company is into a agro allied and construction business. I budgeted #3million for the trip. I sincerely will love to know if that will suffice for my intending trip.

Greetings! There are too many factors involved in every visa decision for me to make a guess based just on what you've written. That said, I don't see anything negative in what you've written. But without interviewing you and seeing your case, I really can't tell you anything.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by janut: 2:24pm On Oct 04, 2013
VisaOfficer:

If an NPC birth certificate is available, that is what you should bring.

Is this to mean that you don't recognize/accept birth certificates issued prior to 1992 by the local government council even when it has full names of both parents as well as place of birth?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by rabadilan: 4:46pm On Oct 04, 2013
VisaOfficer:

You can get a COC from Singapore even if you're not a citizen. Take a look at the instructions at http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9732 .

ya but they are asking document of proof ?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by mrrule: 5:07pm On Oct 04, 2013
Please VO 2014af000027** is my case number how I know if am current in the bulletin or will I be notify when my interview will be holding
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Yeecar(m): 6:59pm On Oct 04, 2013
Hello sir.I am a federal
Civill servant .I recently got a
scholarship to come to the US for
a 1 month training which will be coming up by January 2014 . I applied for a
B1 visa. An invitation letter was
sent to me through d email which
I presented to d Consular officer.
But suprisingly I was denied a
visa under section 214 (B). I told her dat a leter of
introduction was also given to me
by my employer but she didn't
ask.Please what can be the
reason for my visa denial? I was
properly dressed and I was even
puting on my ofice I'd card. I am
just leaving the embassy shocked
and disapointed. Thanks in
anticipation of Your quick
response as am thinking of
reapplying next week.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 7:04pm On Oct 04, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! There are too many factors involved in every visa decision for me to make a guess based just on what you've written. That said, I don't see anything negative in what you've written. But without interviewing you and seeing your case, I really can't tell you anything.

Hi sir, there is a mistake on my dob, instead of sept 14 1986 what I have there is sept 14 1993. How do I apply for a visa with such an error? Its a virgin passport I applied for this year And the authority has refused to change it.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 04, 2013
VisaOfficer:
Hi sir, there is a mistake on my dob, instead of sept 14 1986 what I have there is sept 14 1993. How do I apply for a visa with such an error? Its a virgin passport I applied for this year And the authority has refused to change it.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by foohard: 10:01pm On Oct 04, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! Do I recall correctly that your wife is the one who filed for you? If so, and if your wife is an LPR and filed before September 8, 2013, or if she's an American citizen, your case is current.

You are right. My wife filed for me on 8th of March 2013.

Does that mean I can proceed to file for i-485 and how long does it take to get the green card.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by jamesoo1: 5:27am On Oct 05, 2013
Dear VO,

please i want to know the right visa category to choose, am going for a conference that will last for 5 days and i wish to stay more 5 days after the conference for leisure, what type of visa is right for me is it B1/B2 or B1?

although i have chosen B1/B2 category but i just want to be very sure, please kindly advice
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by cartis7: 8:14am On Oct 05, 2013
Hello visa officer,I am finding it hard to book an appointment online in the us embassy,they said I have to fill one DS 160 form before I can book am appointment unlike the schengan visa.Is there a way I can book an appointment before filling the document because I am helping someone to do it and the person is not around to fill that DS 160 document
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by izoneb(f): 1:12pm On Oct 05, 2013
Hello VO,
Thank you for this thread.I've had this question for close to 10years now.pls i had a baby in 2004 in new jersey.i was denied visa twice in 2005 and didnt apply again since then.i paid a 2500dollars bill to a private doctor then which i have the receipts.i was deceived then but now know better.since then i've tried to contact the hospital who claim i dont owe them.after much someone in the hospital accounts told me that a 3000dollars bill was offset by an organisation.But as i speak medicaid says its too long ago that they have no records.what can i do clear this problem.what are my possibilities of getting a visa again to the US?the hospital will not let me pay the money as they claim i dont owe them.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 05, 2013
Dear VO,
I've got some questions.. Someone was denied an F1 Student VISA and he used his dad as sponsor. But wanna re-apply but this time using his mom..

He wanna do this because his dad just got into a contract worth millions of naira and he had pay for it, so the money aint available anymore in his account, but his mum is also financially buoyant. both parents are in support of their son's education.

If he do this, won't he be denied for inconsistency ? Is this not going to affect his chances of getting it this time ? I'm sorry if this write-up is so long. wink

Thanks in the anticipated answer(s)

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by borie4u(m): 8:38am On Oct 06, 2013
Dear V.O,
I would love to ask if someone born in Bakassi which has been ceded to Cameroun can apply for the diversity visa. my parents are from Calabar but i was given birth in Bakassi and lived there for close to 5years. i would love to know if this wouldnt count against my application. Thanks

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:04am On Oct 07, 2013
rabadilan:

ya but they are asking document of proof ?

Well, the interviewing officer's going to ask you for your police certificate from Singapore, since they're obviously available. It's going to be up to you to resolve the situation.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:04am On Oct 07, 2013
janut:

Is this to mean that you don't recognize/accept birth certificates issued prior to 1992 by the local government council even when it has full names of both parents as well as place of birth?

We're a little more relaxed prior to 1992. If we know there's an NPC certificate available, we want to see it, but we also know that it can be difficult to obtain documentation here.

That said, if at all possible, applicants should obtain a certified copy of their birth certificate or age declaration from the National Population Commission.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:05am On Oct 07, 2013
mr rule: Please VO 2014af000027** is my case number how I know if am current in the bulletin or will I be notify when my interview will be holding

The Kentucky Consular Center will let you know what your interview date will be. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:06am On Oct 07, 2013
Yeecar: Hello sir.I am a federal
Civill servant .I recently got a
scholarship to come to the US for
a 1 month training which will be coming up by January 2014 . I applied for a
B1 visa. An invitation letter was
sent to me through d email which
I presented to d Consular officer.
But suprisingly I was denied a
visa under section 214 (B). I told her dat a leter of
introduction was also given to me
by my employer but she didn't
ask.Please what can be the
reason for my visa denial? I was
properly dressed and I was even
puting on my ofice I'd card. I am
just leaving the embassy shocked
and disapointed. Thanks in
anticipation of Your quick
response as am thinking of
reapplying next week.

There are so many factors involved in every visa decision that there's no way to guess based on what you've written here. I wouldn't reapply so quickly unless you have good reason to believe that you can make a better case for yourself in your second interview. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:07am On Oct 07, 2013
september14:
(Modify) (Quote) (Report

Just explain to us that it's an error and the authority has refused to change it. You won't be the first applicant that that has happened to...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:09am On Oct 07, 2013
foohard:

You are right. My wife filed for me on 8th of March 2013.

Does that mean I can proceed to file for i-485 and how long does it take to get the green card.

Unfortunately these are questions that are outside my scope of knowledge. USCIS, or other Nairalanders, should be able to tell you. Once someone has entered the United States, my knowledge of the process has reached its limit.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:09am On Oct 07, 2013
jamesoo1: Dear VO,

please i want to know the right visa category to choose, am going for a conference that will last for 5 days and i wish to stay more 5 days after the conference for leisure, what type of visa is right for me is it B1/B2 or B1?

although i have chosen B1/B2 category but i just want to be very sure, please kindly advice

B1/B2 is fine. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:10am On Oct 07, 2013
cartis7: Hello visa officer,I am finding it hard to book an appointment online in the us embassy,they said I have to fill one DS 160 form before I can book am appointment unlike the schengan visa.Is there a way I can book an appointment before filling the document because I am helping someone to do it and the person is not around to fill that DS 160 document

No, you have to fill out the DS-160 in order to book an appointment. That's just how the system works.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:17am On Oct 07, 2013
izoneb: Hello VO,
Thank you for this thread.I've had this question for close to 10years now.pls i had a baby in 2004 in new jersey.i was denied visa twice in 2005 and didnt apply again since then.i paid a 2500dollars bill to a private doctor then which i have the receipts.i was deceived then but now know better.since then i've tried to contact the hospital who claim i dont owe them.after much someone in the hospital accounts told me that a 3000dollars bill was offset by an organisation.But as i speak medicaid says its too long ago that they have no records.what can i do clear this problem.what are my possibilities of getting a visa again to the US?the hospital will not let me pay the money as they claim i dont owe them.

I'd just explain all this to the interviewing officer, especially if you have the receipts. The officers now present in Nigeria are aware that having given birth in the U.S. isn't a reason to refuse a visa application. Of course, you'll still have to qualify for the visa and convince the officer that you'll return...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:19am On Oct 07, 2013
Amefrica: Dear VO,
I've got some questions.. Someone was denied an F1 Student VISA and he used his dad as sponsor. But wanna re-apply but this time using his mom..

He wanna do this because his dad just got into a contract worth millions of naira and he had pay for it, so the money aint available anymore in his account, but his mum is also financially buoyant. both parents are in support of their son's education.

If he do this, won't he be denied for inconsistency ? Is this not going to affect his chances of getting it this time ? I'm sorry if this write-up is so long. wink

Thanks in the anticipated answer(s)

Greetings! I don't think changing sponsors will affect his chances, but reading the above, I can't make the assumption that he was denied simply because of financial reasons. The denial may have been based on other factors altogether, so changing sponsors might not matter at all.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:26am On Oct 07, 2013
borie4u: Dear V.O,
I would love to ask if someone born in Bakassi which has been ceded to Cameroun can apply for the diversity visa. my parents are from Calabar but i was given birth in Bakassi and lived there for close to 5years. i would love to know if this wouldnt count against my application. Thanks

When you were born, was Bakassi considered part of Nigeria? If so, I'm afraid you're probably ineligible. I'll ask my contacts in Washington, though, because that's a unique and interesting question.

Do you have Cameroonian citizenship?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:31am On Oct 07, 2013
nairacountry: Visa Officer, I have this question and I want you to give me a sincere answer please. IS IT QUITE POSSIBLE TO BE INTERVIEWED WITHOUT ONE FINGER PRINT BEEN TAKEN?
This my case: I was @ d embassy on Thursday 26th Sept.,2013 as appointed. My company decided to send me this year (as always her ttadition) in attending d forthcoming IBA conference coming up between 6th-11th Oct, 2013 in Boston. Since I do not have a visa, I did apply and was given appointment for the said date. Though it happened to be my very first date in d US (including any other) embassy, but I took notice d process; applicant walked up 1st to d window with the corresponding number in d ticket you are holding and submit your passport. You are then expected to sit and wait till your ticket number appeared again; which is for finger print captured,then you'll sit in expectation of d third time your ticket number appeared which will b for d interview proper where you will know whether you are successful or not.
HOWEVER, MINE WASTN LIKE THE ABOVE SCENARIO, I WAS INTERVIED AT THE SECOND STAGE OF THE PROCESS. Need I add that I was denied? Surely, I was denied because my interviewer had no or lesser information about me while the interview last.
I hate the fact that I was denied due to someone's mistake. All the same, I have moved on with my life, back to my lovely wife & kids in Abuja.

Greetings! The case has been reviewed and, while your fingerprints should have been taken, the omission had no effect upon the decision itself. Obviously we do want to take everyone's fingerprints whether they receive a visa or not... in fact, we can't print a visa unless fingerprints have been taken. But in your case, the oversight had nothing to do with the outcome of the case.

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (66)

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Thread for South Korea prospective students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.