Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,671 members, 7,851,288 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:24 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (518241 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:54am On Sep 30, 2013
Ekunnla: Thanks CO. They did the medical Friday. The clinic said they needed Consulate stamped copies of their passports to release the result to them. How would they get those stamped passport copies? And what's the process to drop the medicals at the Consulate?

Hmm. I'll e-mail the panel physician and ask what's going on. Tell them not to worry, the visas are already printed (because the medicals they already submitted are still valid; it's just that they'll expire very soon).

Again, my apologies for discussing a specific case, but it IS the last day of DV season and I know people are tense!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:56am On Sep 30, 2013
malioo: Greetings VO , still expecting the response to my question with case number 2013AF15160

Greetings -- While I can't comment on individual cases, I can say that unfortunately many cases that are under administrative processing are not going to be resolved in time to print visas before midnight tonight. This is one of the hazards of having an interview late in the DV season.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:58am On Sep 30, 2013
vinmesaidanme: hello
if I selected for diversity visa, can I take my dog with me?
if yes what should I do for it (document preparation)?
thanks

grin This may be my favorite Nairaland question of all time! Yes, you can take your dog. You'll need to check with the airline about their specific requirements. Also, please see http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html for information about rabies vaccinations and other issues.

6 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nairacountry(m): 9:25am On Sep 30, 2013
nairacountry: Visa Officer, I have this question and I want you to give me a sincere answer please. IS IT QUITE POSSIBLE TO BE INTERVIEWED WITHOUT ONE FINGER PRINT BEEN TAKEN?
This my case: I was @ d embassy on Thursday 26th Sept.,2013 as appointed. My company decided to send me this year (as always her ttadition) in attending d forthcoming IBA conference coming up between 6th-11th Oct, 2013 in Boston. Since I do not have a visa, I did apply and was given appointment for the said date. Though it happened to be my very first date in d US (including any other) embassy, but I took notice d process; applicant walked up 1st to d window with the corresponding number in d ticket you are holding and submit your passport. You are then expected to sit and wait till your ticket number appeared again; which is for finger print captured,then you'll sit in expectation of d third time your ticket number appeared which will b for d interview proper where you will know whether you are successful or not.
HOWEVER, MINE WASTN LIKE THE ABOVE SCENARIO, I WAS INTERVIED AT THE SECOND STAGE OF THE PROCESS. Need I add that I was denied? Surely, I was denied because my interviewer had no or lesser information about me while the interview last.
I hate the fact that I was denied due to someone's mistake. All the same, I have moved on with my life, back to my lovely wife & kids in Abuja.

grin u skipped mine though.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:28am On Sep 30, 2013
nairacountry:

grin u skipped mine though.

That's because I'm waiting to hear back from my NIV colleagues.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nairacountry(m): 9:55am On Sep 30, 2013
embarassed undecided ouch! Big thanks to you; u r a good man. I'm Sorry for been impatient. Pleasant day

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by kevweflex(m): 10:27am On Sep 30, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Hmm. I'll e-mail the panel physician and ask what's going on. Tell them not to worry, the visas are already printed (because the medicals they already submitted are still valid; it's just that they'll expire very soon).

Again, my apologies for discussing a specific case, but it IS the last day of DV season and I know people are tense!

Wow. You are so wonderful. Thanks for coming here to offer assistance.

3 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by lhasky007: 10:32am On Sep 30, 2013
VisaOfficer:

I'd put high school, then be prepared to explain to the officer that you have the SSCE.

Are you asking how many years it takes for a DV winner to become an American citizen? Well, winners are Legal Permanent Residents from the beginning (conditional at first), and then they go through the naturalization process. It generally takes around... five years? Is there anyone reading this who has already done it, who could tell us?

Good day visa officer. You doing a great job. Well done. Please I don't understand wht you mean by "conditional at first" for LPR in the US. Just want to understand perfectly your answer to the question.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:41am On Sep 30, 2013
lhasky007:

Good day visa officer. You doing a great job. Well done. Please I don't understand wht you mean by "conditional at first" for LPR in the US. Just want to understand perfectly your answer to the question.

Ah, I was confusing because I was wrong. Conditional LPR status doesn't apply to Diversity Visa immigrants; it only applies to people who become LPRs through a recent marriage (less than two years ago) and their children. Diversity Visa immigrants are LPRs as soon as they're admitted. Sorry about that -- I was in too much of a hurry this morning!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:42am On Sep 30, 2013
nairacountry: embarassed undecided ouch! Big thanks to you; u r a good man. I'm Sorry for been impatient. Pleasant day

My apologies if I sounded curt! It's a busy day here today! grin
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by giddadon(m): 10:43am On Sep 30, 2013
VisaOfficer:

My familiarity with the DV process starts at the point when the cases are sent to our post; I don't really know everything that happens on the KCC side. But it seems to me that all the winners are notified at once, right? Like, there's only one drawing, isn't there? Does anyone else have any insight?
for dv2013 there were october selections...but we are getting rumors that there wont be any like that for dv2014...how tru is dat?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by kjexy: 10:45am On Sep 30, 2013
VisaOfficer:

I'd bring the logs printed from Nigeria. Whatever they decide to do, they should NOT "create their own logs just so it will look like they have evidence." It makes us doubt the applicants' credibility when evidence is obviously created for the interview.

Thanks a lot sir,
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by lhasky007: 10:51am On Sep 30, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Ah, I was confusing because I was wrong. Conditional LPR status doesn't apply to Diversity Visa immigrants; it only applies to people who become LPRs through a recent marriage (less than two years ago) and their children. Diversity Visa immigrants are LPRs as soon as they're admitted. Sorry about that -- I was in too much of a hurry this morning!

Thanks for the explanation. I perfectly understand.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Lhanray26: 11:11am On Sep 30, 2013
Greetings CO, I was recently denied Visa twice, at the embassy in abuja around july, I still don't know why I was denied both times, the first time the CO asked all sorts of questions & finally asked what my father does for a living & I said he's into trading & the next thing I got a white paper saying I'm ineligble, second time he asked questions as usual & finally asked what am I going to do when I come back & aid inherit my fathers company & also got thesame paper... My school has resumed but before they did I deferred my admission till spring which is in january 2014, the school is in minnesota & we know how cold it can be over there so now I'm thinking of getting an admission into another school & planning to do my next interview in lagos... Please Sir what do you think happened or went wrong during my first & second interview & what advice can you render on my next step..please I expect to get a reply from you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Fortsucc(f): 11:22am On Sep 30, 2013
Visa Officer, we really thank you so much, we have picked up our visa packet today and we saw our NPC birth certificate stapled with it,we really appreciate you a lot. God bless you and your Family.

2 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by reeq(m): 11:59am On Sep 30, 2013
Greetings V O..
Please I would like to ask some questions.
(1) When applying for a fiance visa,what kinda passport is needed, softcopy or hardcopy? And also if u don't summit the right passport can it disqualify you from getting you rcase number?
(2) When coming for the interview(fiance visa) what document should one bring allow to show the r/ship is genuine and what other advice can you give.
(3)Is the looming u.s SHUTDOWN going to affect the visa process?
Happy Holiday and God bless.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by reeq(m): 12:03pm On Sep 30, 2013
Hello V O
Sorry actually meant "passport photograph" for my first question. Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:04pm On Sep 30, 2013
Lhanray_26: Greetings CO, I was recently denied Visa twice, at the embassy in abuja around july, I still don't know why I was denied both times, the first time the CO asked all sorts of questions & finally asked what my father does for a living & I said he's into trading & the next thing I got a white paper saying I'm ineligble, second time he asked questions as usual & finally asked what am I going to do when I come back & aid inherit my fathers company & also got thesame paper... My school has resumed but before they did I deferred my admission till spring which is in january 2014, the school is in minnesota & we know how cold it can be over there so now I'm thinking of getting an admission into another school & planning to do my next interview in lagos... Please Sir what do you think happened or went wrong during my first & second interview & what advice can you render on my next step..please I expect to get a reply from you.

Greetings! I'm afraid I don't have enough information to give you a meaningful response. There are so many factors involved in a visa decision that without reviewing your actual case, I have no way of giving any input. Whether you interview in Abuja or Lagos, the officer will be interested in your prior refusals and will want to know what is different this time around. Good luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:11pm On Sep 30, 2013
reeq: Greetings V O..
Please I would like to ask some questions.
(1) When applying for a fiance visa,what kinda passport is needed, softcopy or hardcopy? And also if u don't summit the right passport can it disqualify you from getting you rcase number?
(2) When coming for the interview(fiance visa) what document should one bring allow to show the r/ship is genuine and what other advice can you give.
(3)Is the looming u.s SHUTDOWN going to affect the visa process?
Happy Holiday and God bless.

Greetings!

1. The visa photos should be actual hard copy visa photos, at least until fiance visa applications go online (not sure when that will happen). (Thanks for clarifying that!)
2. Every relationship is different, so there's no magic set of evidence that we can tell people to bring. Photos aren't all taken on one day are good, for starters. Basically, if it's a real relationship, they should be able to answer questions well enough even without evidence.
3. The shutdown may or may not happen, but if it does, my team and I will still be here interviewing as many people as we can and issuing visas to qualified applicants. We anticipate no changes to our daily operations here. smiley

Happy holiday to everyone!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by reeq(m): 1:34pm On Sep 30, 2013
Greetings!
Obuluu(thanks in my native dialet) smiley.. God bless

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by daywalker14: 2:42pm On Sep 30, 2013
Goodday visa officer and may God bless you for all you are doing. I simply want to know if the initial signatures on forms DSP 122 and DS 230 must be the same with what will be signed infront of the Interviewing officer at the time of interview, or if any signature can be made at the time,
And also if name initials (for example R.E) can be used as signature when signing forms DS 230 and DSP 122. Thanks in advance.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 2:56pm On Sep 30, 2013
daywalker14: Goodday visa officer and may God bless you for all you are doing. I simply want to know if the initial signatures on forms DSP 122 and DS 230 must be the same with what will be signed infront of the Interviewing officer at the time of interview, or if any signature can be made at the time,
And also if name initials (for example R.E) can be used as signature when signing forms DS 230 and DSP 122. Thanks in advance.

You'll be asked to provide your full legal signature. Some people use their initials as their full legal signatures; that's fine if that's what they consistently do. The important thing is that the officer must verify your identity and witness your signature. I tell people that when President Obama asks me if I saw them sign, I need to be able to say, "Yes, sir."
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by kjexy: 2:59pm On Sep 30, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! I'm afraid I don't have enough information to give you a meaningful response. There are so many factors involved in a visa decision that without reviewing your actual case, I have no way of giving any input. Whether you interview in Abuja or Lagos, the officer will be interested in your prior refusals and will want to know what is different this time around. Good luck!

Ok thanks Sir.... But was Only trying to know if those two answers I gave both times amounted to my refusal & to also know if my getting an admission into another university won't limit my chances of getting the visa the 3rd time...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by riteaide: 3:06pm On Sep 30, 2013
I liked the question about the dog too!! There are good natured people out there. smiley smiley

I have a question Visa Officer, if someone plans to attend a paid conference in the US, can they stay with family or friends during the duration?

Or can staying in a friend or family's house spoil chances of getting a visa? Thank you
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by daywalker14: 3:37pm On Sep 30, 2013
Thank you sir, also, in a case where one has 2 signatures, can both signatures be used in the DSP 122 and DS 230 when processing without any prejudice in visa decision by interviewing officer?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Lhanray26: 3:49pm On Sep 30, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Ok thanks Sir.... But was Only trying to know if those two answers I gave both times amounted to my refusal & to also know if my getting an admission into another university won't limit my chances of getting the visa the 3rd time...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by stevewale(m): 5:12pm On Sep 30, 2013
Dear VO, you are really doing a good job here and God will reward and bless you dearly.

Pls my fiancé who is a US citizen will be filing for me next month. We have know each other before she left the country and recently reconnected back online. She was home (i.e in naija) recently and we took different photographs. Her parents too has met with mine and we also all took group photograph. I am currently employ and my salary is 122k. I have a savings account which I saved part of my salary into monthly and I have up to 350k plus in it.

She wanna file a fiancée visa for me so we would wed in Georgia Atlanta. Please am I qualify and I hope I wont have any challenge at the interview as regards my salary and the amount in my savings (I am a graduate). My fiancée too is currently working there.

Thanks in anticipation for your apt response.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nairacountry(m): 6:38pm On Sep 30, 2013
VisaOfficer:

My apologies if I sounded curt! It's a busy day here today! grin

grin you weren't curt dearie, I was restless for I desire a change you guys can effect.
Happy Independence in advance.

2 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by oluMyderz(m): 7:16pm On Sep 30, 2013
veritas10: Thanks VO it really helped. I think she might as well go ahead and file. But 10yrs is a long time . Anyway I read in one of the replies u gave concerning the exclusion of nigeria from DV 2015 that the advantage is that the wait times for the other 2 categories i.e skilled professionals and reuniting family would be hastened. So are there chances that the 10yrs can be shortened.
Hello VO, plz ur response is needed 2 d questn asked by diz poster. Tanx
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by bamideleniayo(m): 7:51pm On Sep 30, 2013
Thank You VO for ur Reply... But I just want a little clarification one that same Question( 6) in the DSP-122 form, where it says
HIGH SCHOOL NO DEGREE
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA
COLLEGE NO DEGREE
UNIVERSITY DEFREE etc.. So for someone with just SSCE as the Highest level of Education completed which one is APPLICABLE.
Because rumour has it that HIGH SCHOOL NO DEGREE applies to people who dropped out of school and HiGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA applies to people who finished High School applicable to SSCE.. PLs I need ur esteemed clarification... Thank You

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by bamideleniayo(m): 7:55pm On Sep 30, 2013
bamideleniayo: Thank You VO for ur Reply... But I just want a little clarification one that same Question( 6) in the DSP-122 form, where it says
HIGH SCHOOL NO DEGREE
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA
COLLEGE NO DEGREE
UNIVERSITY DEFREE etc.. So for someone with just SSCE as the Highest level of Education completed which one is APPLICABLE.
Because rumour has it that HIGH SCHOOL NO DEGREE applies to people who dropped out of school and HiGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA applies to people who finished High School applicable to SSCE.. PLs I need ur esteemed clarification... Thank You
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Ekunnla: 1:58am On Oct 01, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Thank you once again CO!! Others have said it before on this forum about your passion and dedication to helping people, I'm echoing those comments. Thank you and God bless!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (66)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.