Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,659 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? (4229 Views)

Fellow Christians Please Help Me Out. / Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? / Fellow Christians,your Opportunity To Stand Up To Maclatunji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 16, 2013
alexleo:

They are just twisting the scripture to support their lies. Same way they may have imported the words/terms trinity, christmas, easter etc. I think we should begin to get rid of all these catholic terms in our churches and replace them with what is in the scriptures. Let them continue with their lies.

Yes let's get rid of all these catholic terms like bible,old testament,New testament,chapters of the bible,authours of the gospel,trinity and other catholic stuffs not stated in the bible.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by alexleo(m): 8:50pm On Jul 16, 2013
frosbel:

I am going to inherit a new earth just like Peter said. smiley

"But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells." - 2 Peter 3:13

Yeah but first Jesus told us about preparing a place for us in heaven in John 14 - “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.

The one peter talked about is the one that will come at the very end of all things as stated in Revelation. However, allocations have not been made for you to know where you ll stay, whether it ll be in the new haven or the new earth. Peter never mentioned he was going to stay in the new earth or that nobody is going to heaven as you have declared here. Let's leave it at what is written in the scripture.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 16, 2013
^
^^
Gosh! Hmmm
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by alexleo(m): 8:55pm On Jul 16, 2013
chukwudi44:

Yes let's get rid of all these catholic terms like bible,old testament,New testament,chapters of the bible,authours of the gospel,trinity and other catholic stuffs not stated in the bible.

Its not catholics that wrote the scriptures. It is a false claim. Am not keen in your trinity term because its not in the bible. So make una carry am pack one side.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Sirgen05(m): 9:41pm On Jul 16, 2013
frosbel:

"But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells." - 2 Peter 3:13
You dont know anything about ESCHATOLOGY! Your cult has blinded u from understanding the above scriptures!!
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by alexleo(m): 10:23pm On Jul 16, 2013
frosbel:

You still believe in many catholic doctrines, so you cannot judge them.

smiley

No. Bible doctrine that catholics practice remains bible doctrine and cannot be thrown away or condemned because catholics practice it. We are talking about the ones that are not scriptural. Not the one that goes contrary to your own personal believe. They are two different things here.

1 Like

Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by italo: 11:48pm On Jul 16, 2013
1 Cor 3:15

If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

Can someone tell me where a man will suffer loss, yet be saved as one escaping through the flames?

Is it heaven? There is no loss or fire in heaven.

Is it hell? No one will be saved in hell.

If it is not purgatory, where is it?
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Sirgen05(m): 3:06am On Jul 17, 2013
italo: 1 Cor 3:15

If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

Can someone tell me where a man will suffer loss, yet be saved as one escaping through the flames?

Is it heaven? There is no loss or fire in heaven.

Is it hell? No one will be saved in hell.

If it is not purgatory, where is it?

Thanks. Here is d answer.

To understand d bible verse very well u look at d preceding and following verses. You look at d context. You think of who's writing and to who! Etc. These are very important. Remove these and u'll lose d meaning. Here Paul was writing 2 Corinthians believers.

From verse 1, There ar two sets of born again believers who render service to God.
Carnal & spiritual believers.

Paul called them brethren vs 1 but yet carnal vs 3, evidenced by carnal tendencies such as envy, strife, party spirit vs 3, incest chapter 5; lawsuits chapter 6.

Now Paul is telling them that when true children of God like them commit the above sins or any other and without confessing it render service in God's house, that such services will be counted as hay, straws, woods which can easily be burnt. However, d person will be ultimately saved if he later on confesses d sins, but wont be rewarded for any services rendered with such evil heart. But those who rendered out of Clean hearts will be like Gold and silver, which are not destroyed by fire.

The setting here is the reward of saints in Bema seat of Christ. The 'fire' used here is an allegory signifying judgement of believers' works.

'for we must all appear b4 d judgement seat of Christ that each one may receive the things done in THE BODY, according to what he has done, WHETHER GOOD OR BAD' 2Cor 5:10.

I hope these have helped u to understand the verse u quoted. Thanks.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Nobody: 6:57am On Jul 17, 2013
Sirgen05:

To understand d bible verse very well u look at d preceding and following verses. You look at d context. You think of who's writing and to who! Etc. These are very important. Remove these and u'll lose d meaning. Here Paul was writing 2 Corinthians believers.

From verse 1, There ar two sets of born again believers who render service to God.

Paul called them brethren vs 1 but yet carnal vs 3, evidenced by carnal tendencies such as envy, strife, party spirit vs 3, incest chapter 5; lawsuits chapter 6.

Now Paul is telling them that when true children of God like them commit the above sins or any other and without confessing it render service in God's house, that such services will be counted as hay, straws, woods which can easily be burnt. However, d person will be ultimately saved if he later on confesses d sins, but wont be rewarded for any services rendered with such evil heart. But those who rendered out of Clean hearts will be like Gold and silver, which are not destroyed by fire.

The setting here is the reward of saints in Bema seat of Christ. The 'fire' used here is an allegory signifying judgement of believers' works.

'for we must all appear b4 d judgement seat of Christ that each one may receive the things done in THE BODY, according to what he has done, WHETHER GOOD OR BAD' 2Cor 5:10.

spot on
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by italo: 8:31am On Jul 17, 2013
@ Sirgen05, thanks for giving me your personal fallible interpretation of that passage.

Sirgen05:
Nowhere does St Paul mention confession or evil/clean hearts.

He says if your work survives, you will receive a reward.

What other reward is there after judgement other than heaven?

Then he says if your work is burned, you will suffer loss but will be saved. But only as one escaping through fire.

What other loss can one suffer after judgement, yet be saved...other than purgatory?

Sirgen05:

No, it has helped me understand your fallible interpretation.

Please answer the two questions I asked clearly.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Sirgen05(m): 9:10am On Jul 17, 2013
italo: @ Sirgen05, thanks for giving me your personal fallible interpretation of that passage.

Nowhere does St Paul mention confession or evil/clean hearts.

Whenever a service is rendered with strife, party spirit, immorality etc it is rendered from an unclean heart.
And u can truly understand it when u read from vs 1 Prayerfully &meditatively!

[/quote]He says if your work survives, you will receive a reward.

What other reward is there after judgement other than heaven?.[/quote]

Wow! So many, Daniel said those that turn many to righteousness shall shine as star forever. Daniel 12:3.
Look at this, 'Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is ur reward in heaven' Matthew 5:12. It means that apart from Making heaven, we also have rewards in heaven! Ok?

[/quote]Then he says if your work is burned, you will suffer loss but will be saved. But only as one escaping through fire.[/quote]

This fire signifies judgement at the Bema seat to reward the saints!

[/quote]What other loss can one suffer after judgement, yet be saved...other than purgatory?.[/quote]

B4 I explain, from the above statement u mean that after death comes judgement then purgatory. This contradicts ur belief.

Now look at this 'And I saw d dead, small and great great standing b4 God & books were opened. And another Book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the Dead were judged ACCORDING TO THEIR WORKS, by the things which were written in the books; and anyone not found written in the Book of Life were cast into the lake of fire'. Revelation 20:12,15.
This talking about those who died in their sins.
Once a Christian gives his life to Christ his past sins are judged and washed by the Blood.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Sirgen05(m): 9:35am On Jul 17, 2013
italo: @ Sirgen05, thanks for giving me your personal fallible interpretation of that passage.
My challenge with you here is: I dont know if u are really asking to help u know what u dont know or u are asking to receive an answer that will tally with what u consider ur own opinion? Why not pay close attention to what i've given to u so far. And if u consider my explanation fallible, is it ur own that is right? Just know one thing, there are people out here who can help u, and I'm one of them. In as much as I still have the Spirit of God in me, He will help me to dissect the scriptures for ur good, and this only if u ar ready to learn! Thanks.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by dokie: 9:51am On Jul 17, 2013
idnoble135:
spot on

what is spot on in that explanation? please explain it further.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by dokie: 9:57am On Jul 17, 2013
Sirgen05:
In as much as I still have the Spirit of God in me, He will help me to dissect the scriptures for ur good, and this only if u ar ready to learn! Thanks.

Joel 2:28 " And it shall come to pass afterward ,that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh..." not on pentecostal flesh alone or anything like that.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 17, 2013
dokie:

what is spot on in that explanation? please explain it further.
definitely not in the mood to argue. Did i hear you ask why? Because some folks dont ask question to know but to bring strive.
My advice to you; study the text 1 cor 3. Meditate on it, compare translations, and check commentaries.
N. B
i study scriptures to understand. I dont often FEED on what men has written. The few i read i subject to the authority of the word.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Nobody: 10:45am On Jul 17, 2013
dokie:

Joel 2:28 " And it shall come to pass afterward ,that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh..." not on pentecostal flesh alone or anything like that.
do you have a problem with pentecostals?
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 17, 2013
alexleo:

Its not catholics that wrote the scriptures. It is a false claim. Am not keen in your trinity term because its not in the bible. So make una carry am pack one side.

Where is the term 'bible' in the scriptures? Are the terms 'old testament','new testament' or the authours of the gospel in the scriptures? Maybe in your ignorance you do not that the scriptures was only delineated into chapters by the catholic church in the thirteenth century.If you want to get rid of all terminologies like you suggested you might even do away with all these.

You want to see the term 'purgatory' abi so if we change it to 'prison' you will suddenly be okay with it.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Syncan(m): 12:23pm On Jul 17, 2013
Sirgen05:

1. You talk about repentance, yet you say the fire is an allegory, signifying judgement. How come someone is to repent and be saved after judgement?

2. verse 13 is clear that St. Paul was talking about "the day", not just any day of repentance and forgiveness, which can occur many times in a man's life. For God is ready to forgive you as many times as you ask for it while you are on earth. See Hosea.

3. "If any man's work burn...". How could you not see the finality in this. It is a judgement of all your works, this cannot be done if the man is still in this mortal body. So, if it is at death, how come you will still repent to be saved. Is there repentance after death?

4. Does verse 15 and 17 not make you remember 1john5:16 and 17, about sin that leads to death and the one that does not. Here in 15, he talked about one whose work burn but saved as by fire( sin that does not lead to death), and in verse 17 he talked about those God will destroy ( sin that lead to death). Note that in 14, he had already talked about getting reward if work does not burn( heaven).

5. one can believe vs 15 to mean that, there will be after judgement, forgiveness for some people ( with sin that lead not unto death), for Jesus talked about forgiveness of sin in the world to come also (Matt 12:32), yet these will be saved so as by fire (1cor3:15).

The question now is, in what condition will the soul be, that is not to be destroyed nor fit to receive reward, but need to get saved as by fire? "Nothing unclean shall enter... " (Rev21:27).
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by italo: 12:37pm On Jul 17, 2013
Sirgen05:
Whenever a service is rendered with strife, party spirit, immorality etc it is rendered from an unclean heart.

So from the above and your previous post, it means that if I render a service to God e.g clean up the Church, while still engaging in immorality e.g homosexuality, I will receive no reward but go to heaven?

*note that St Paul makes no mention of confession of sins*

I disagree.
Sirgen05:
And u can truly understand it when u read from vs 1 Prayerfully &meditatively!

I have already done so.
Sirgen05:
Wow! So many, Daniel said those that turn many to righteousness shall shine as star forever. Daniel 12:3.
Look at this, 'Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is ur reward in heaven' Matthew 5:12. It means that apart from Making heaven, we also have rewards in heaven! Ok?

So according to your theology, what happens to fornicators who turn many to righteousness?

Will they receive the reward Daniel speaks of or will suffer the loss Paul speaks of?
Sirgen05:
This fire signifies judgement at the Bema seat to reward the saints!

B4 I explain, from the above statement u mean that after death comes judgement then purgatory. This contradicts ur belief.

What is my belief and how does this statement contradict it?
Sirgen05:
Now look at this 'And I saw d dead, small and great great standing b4 God & books were opened. And another Book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the Dead were judged ACCORDING TO THEIR WORKS, by the things which were written in the books; and anyone not found written in the Book of Life were cast into the lake of fire'. Revelation 20:12,15.
This talking about those who died in their sins.
Once a Christian gives his life to Christ his past sins are judged and washed by the Blood.

My question to you was:
What other loss can one suffer after judgement, yet be saved...other than purgatory?

Please answer that before you start to deviate?

1 Like

Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by italo: 1:00pm On Jul 17, 2013
Sirgen05:
My challenge with you here is: I dont know if u are really asking to help u know what u dont know or u are asking to receive an answer that will tally with what u consider ur own opinion?

I just want you, I and everybody else to see the TRUTH. Is that not a good enough reason to ask questions?
Sirgen05:
Why not pay close attention to what i've given to u so far. And if u consider my explanation fallible, is it ur own that is right?

I only pointed out that your interpretation is fallible because you came across as a teacher who is assured of the certainty of his position. On my part, I have mainly been asking and probing, not teaching.

Do we both agree that your teaching/intetpretation of scripture is fallible?
Sirgen05:
Just know one thing, there are people out here who can help u, and I'm one of them. In as much as I still have the Spirit of God in me, He will help me to dissect the scriptures for ur good, and this only if u ar ready to learn! Thanks.

For sure, you can help me. Anybody can help anybody...and you have helped me to know your fallible interpretation of the passage.

But how are you sure you are not the one who needs help on this topic? I too have the Spirit, you know...

And how do you know you are not misunderstanding the Spirit since the same Holy Spirit teaches hundreds of millions of people that purgatoty exists?
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by dokie: 1:53pm On Jul 17, 2013
idnoble135:

i have a problem with anybody who thinks he is a custodian of the Holy Spirit. You usually find people like that in pentecostal churches. I believe strongly you are one and thats why you would have such a disposition to opine that you have the Spirit of God and another proffessed christian does not. as such u are in a better position to explain scriptures to such a person.

Its either pride or lack of knowledge at work in such a case. both lead to destruction.

thats why i pointed out that scripture.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by alexleo(m): 2:03pm On Jul 17, 2013
chukwudi44:

Where is the term 'bible' in the scriptures? Are the terms 'old testament','new testament' or the authours of the gospel in the scriptures? Maybe in your ignorance you do not that the scriptures was only delineated into chapters by the catholic church in the thirteenth century.If you want to get rid of all terminologies like you suggested you might even do away with all these.

You want to see the term 'purgatory' abi so if we change it to 'prison' you will suddenly be okay with it.

oya carry on with whatever but we will begin to drop all these your questionable catholic stuff. Nothing in the scriptures was invented by catholics. Its all claims upon claims. you people have your own books that you wrote and not the scriptures. Then the term christmas, easter, trinity bla,bla,bla....
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by italo: 2:24pm On Jul 17, 2013
alexleo:

oya carry on with whatever but we will begin to drop all these your questionable catholic stuff. Nothing in the scriptures was invented by catholics. Its all claims upon claims. you people have your own books that you wrote and not the scriptures. Then the term christmas, easter, trinity bla,bla,bla....
Bible, New testament, Old testament bla bla bla
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by shdemidemi(m): 2:41pm On Jul 17, 2013
1 Corinthians 3:11
New King James Version (NKJV)
11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

No man or group of men or elders of a church can afford to come and say whatever they want to say. We must follow the teachings of the apostles of Christ without adding or subtracting from them.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by italo: 2:48pm On Jul 17, 2013
shdemidemi: 1 Corinthians 3:11
New King James Version (NKJV)
11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

No man or group of men or elders of a church can afford to come and say whatever they want to say. We must follow the teachings of the apostles of Christ without adding or subtracting from them.

But the apostles were men, a group of men and elders.

Who then should we follow?

Besides, it was your beloved St Paul that said there is a state where a man will suffer loss after judgement yet be saved...as escaping through the fire.

Did he lie?
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by dokie: 3:24pm On Jul 17, 2013
idnoble135:
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by esmeralda1(f): 3:31pm On Jul 17, 2013
frosbel:

@frosbel i read some of ur comments on another thread n i tot this must be a good Bible scholar n a Child of God but wen i read ur above stmt infact i couldnt help laughing that its not only the catholics that needs prayers even u a jehovah witness does, then i find myself wishin u were not one, i pray im wrong about u being an ajeri.

Mr chukwudi44, i read sm of ur comments as well in a thread n d ones here it is well with u, you make me see that christains still need to do alot of prayer n evangelism,it is well.

@op,where mr chukwudi posted 1peter3:19-21 does NOT imply pugnatory o pls be not deceived there is nothing of sort, that place, implied to what Jesus did when He died n went to Hell to collect the keys of hades n grave from d devil, He did once n for all not again o pls be careful hw u quote n interprete d Bible.

Moreover, who even says we can understand the word of God without the Holyspirit, the nexttime u want to read ur Bible pls pray for the Holyspirit to interprete it to you.
God bless you
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Syncan(m): 4:32pm On Jul 17, 2013
esmeralda1:

@frosbel i read some of ur comments on another thread n i tot this must be a good Bible scholar n a Child of God but wen i read ur above stmt infact i couldnt help laughing that its not only the catholics that needs prayers even u a jehovah witness does, then i find myself wishin u were not one, i pray im wrong about u beign an ajeri.

Mr chukwudi44, i read sm of ur comments as well in a thread n d ones here it is well with u, you make me see that christains still need to do alot of prayer n evangelism,it is well.

@op,where mr chukwudi posted 1peter3:19-21 does NOT imply pugnatory o pls be not deceived there is nothing of sort, that place, implied to what Jesus did when He died n went to Hell to collect the keys of hades n grave from d devil, He did once n for all not again o pls be careful hw u quote n interprete d Bible.

Moreover, who even says we can understand the word of God without the Holyspirit, the nexttime u want to read ur Bible pls pray for the Holyspirit to interprete it to you.
God bless you

Why do you think frosbel did not ask for the Holy Spirit's guidance? What made your own "holy spirit" better than his own and numerous others in interpretation of scriptures? So if his interpretation goes against yours, then the Holy Spirit is not leading him abi? You guys are just too puffed up in pride.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by shdemidemi(m): 4:42pm On Jul 17, 2013
italo:

But the apostles were men, a group of men and elders.

Who then should we follow?

Besides, it was your beloved St Paul that said there is a state where a man will suffer loss after judgement yet be saved...as escaping through the fire.

Did he lie?

He did not lie..far from it. Christ gave the apostle the mandate himself, He actually entrusted the gospel to the Gentiles (you and I) to Apostle Paul

1 tim 1 "........any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, 11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust."

He also made it clear to Timothy on how the church should maintain and persist with what has been taught....(even Timothy cannot come up with fresh ideas)

1 tim 1
As I urged you when I went into Macedonia—remain in Ephesus that you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by esmeralda1(f): 4:44pm On Jul 17, 2013
@ syncan, i,ve been tryin to quote ur post but i dont understand y its not going. Pride? what pride, wot am i proud about, Pride is far from it dear, i was not even talkin to frosbel about that. i said WE, even me needs the Holy Spirit for interpretation of the Bible n many other things in my life.
Mr syncan ur words sound of anger or hatred pls wen next u want to reply any post clear ur mind and talk with grace.
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 17, 2013
[quote author=dokie]
"custodian of the Spirit" ? Did you type that? Okkk... What do you mean by that phrase?
Re: To My Fellow Christians Out There, ''does Pulgatory Really Exist''? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 17, 2013
esmeralda1: frosbel:

@frosbel i read some of ur comments on another thread n i tot this must be a good Bible scholar n a Child of God but wen i read ur above stmt infact i couldnt help laughing that its not only the catholics that needs prayers even u a jehovah witness does, then i find myself wishin u were not one, i pray im wrong about u being an ajeri.

God bless you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Comedian Collapses On Stage & Fractures Skull A Few Seconds After Mocking Jesus / Are We Still Evolving? / What Happened to Your Ancestors Who Didn't Know Christ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.