Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,096 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos (36230 Views)

Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / So Yagba In Kogi State Are Yorubas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Antivirus92(m): 11:30pm On Aug 10, 2013
Thank u for answering him well. When people are desperate to fight the truth. He even said that the aborigenes are not igbos but learnt igbo for trading sake from their neighbours. Who are those their neighbours?. Coming to hausa, he forgot that even though that almost the whole of north speak hausa,that apart from the hausas themselves. Others learn and speak hausa as a second language not as a native tongue. Is igbo a second or the native language of the abohs?

3 Likes

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Abagworo(m): 12:22am On Aug 11, 2013
I think Ndokwa people generally identify with Igbo ethnicity but guard their immediate identity jealously.

Ndokwa is made up of the Ndosimili and the Ukwani extracts. Ndosimili are people living within the water terrine (literally meaning; water people) while Ukwani literally means Nde-Ukwu-ani or the upland people. The names are derived from their geographical locations.

The Language

The Ụkwụànì language is related to several languages in the Niger Delta region. The Ndokwa people speak Ukwuani, with varying dialects spoken by various communities within Ndosumili area.

Ndokwa Economy
The Ukwuani people are notably peasant farmers, growing crops like cassava, yams, plantain, melon, okro etc. Those living in communities’ transverse by rivers and creeks are additionally engaged in fishing. 

Rubber and palm oil extraction have been the major source of huge income for the Ukwani speaking people since the colonial era till date. These activities are drastically dwindling due to falling market prices, huge migration of productive youths to major cities like Warri, Port Harcourt and Lagos, and increased hydrocarbon exploration and production activities in the areas. However the areas boast of the presence of one of the biggest agricultural field in Delta and Rivers States that is the Utagba Uno rubber plantation presently managed by Michelin.

Indigenously, the people are also involved in weaving of baskets, foundering and sculpture (known as Okpu-Uzu).

Italian giant AGIP has built and commissioned the first Independent Power Plant (IPP) by an oil producing company in Nigeria at Kwale.

The People
The people pride themselves with the peaceful environments that enabled the successful installation and commissioning of the plant. Indeed the Ukwuani people have been known to be one of the least hostile host communities in Niger Delta.

Ndokwa Music
The Ukwuani are widely known for their Ukwani Music, with artists like King Ubulu, Rogana, Harmony Kings, Orji Moore, Eric Enuma etc. that entertain a wide spectrum of Nigerians from the border states of Cross Rivers to Lagos and to the northern states of Abuja and Kano. The Ukwuani Music can be arguably described as the biggest influence the Ukwuani people have over their neighbours, as some of these neighbours adopt Ukwuani Music as their own and acceptably traditional music.

http://na-uk.org/history.php

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 8:31am On Aug 11, 2013
Abagworo:

You only want to cause unnecessary controversy here. Esumei came from Benin and met some aboriginal Igbos which means his lineage are not aborigines of Aboh but migrated their later and hence have no right to speak for the aborigines. Who are the Ndichie Ukwu and Ndichie Nta? What if the aborigines rise up today and ask Esumei's descendants to go back to Esako where they came from?
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 8:33am On Aug 11, 2013
Abagworo:

You only want to cause unnecessary controversy here. Esumei came from Benin and met some aboriginal Igbos which means his lineage are not aborigines of Aboh but migrated their later and hence have no right to speak for the aborigines. Who are the Ndichie Ukwu and Ndichie Nta? What if the aborigines rise up today and ask Esumei's descendants to go back to Esako where they came from?
Sir, i'm afraid ur knowledge of d Aboh pple is limited to wht u read on UK websites plus ur amusing assumptions. I wrote earlier that the aborigenes fled the area before an Aboh kingdom was created. When pple r conquered they usually become slaves or r exiled. Hence the aboriginal pple of the present day Aboh tht r left r at the periphery, decimated, dominated and hv accepted the present status and r loyal to the Obi. From ur comment, i imagine the aboriginal pple of the americas, d red indies, rising up nd chasing the now overwhelming majority settlers away. Ridiculous thought!
Lastly, thr is no such term as Indichie whatever in Aboh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Abagworo(m): 11:08am On Aug 11, 2013
clefstone: Sir, i'm afraid ur knowledge of d Aboh pple is limited to wht u read on UK websites plus ur amusing assumptions. I wrote earlier that the aborigenes fled the area before an Aboh kingdom was created. When pple r conquered they usually become slaves or r exiled. Hence the aboriginal pple of the present day Aboh tht r left r at the periphery, decimated, dominated and hv accepted the present status and r loyal to the Obi. From ur comment, i imagine the aboriginal pple of the americas, d red indies, rising up nd chasing the now overwhelming majority settlers away. Ridiculous thought!
Lastly, thr is no such term as Indichie whatever in Aboh

This your statement is self-destructive and you keep repeating same. Since you've admitted that the aborgines were Igbos minus Esumei, is it now safe for Igbos to ask Esumei's people to vacate their land now that Igbos are more powerful. Even if Esumei's people go to world court, statements such as yours will indict them.

I'm only being sarcastic though. the truth is

1) Aboh speaks Igbo

2) The term "Igbo country" originated from Aboh during slave era (Abo-Ebo-Ibo-Igbo) and we all later accepted it as a name for everyone that speaks this language.

3) Aboh was part of the Ibo Union

4) Aboh only started claiming new ethnicity in recent years.

5) Aboh is not the only Igbo town with Edo influence or migrations.

6) It is only among Igbos that people try to refute their ethnicity in order to impress other Nigerians or exempt themselves from the negative igbo stereotype.

In conclusion I've met many Aboh people that claim to be Igbos and I've met few that try to prove they are not however every recorded pre-colonial history points to Aboh as where the identity of the people we all know as Igbos today started.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 2:57pm On Aug 11, 2013
Antivirus92: Thank u for answering him well. When people are desperate to fight the truth. He even said that the aborigenes are not igbos but learnt igbo for trading sake from their neighbours. Who are those their neighbours?. Coming to hausa, he forgot that even though that almost the whole of north speak hausa,that apart from the hausas themselves. Others learn and speak hausa as a second language not as a native tongue. Is igbo a second or the native language of the abohs?
Hi, you hv to understnd d difference b/w aboriginals nd original aboh settlers as used in my comment. As regard d hausa situation, d difference is tht those northern group tht speak hausa as a second language hv remained in their ancestral territory, a situation different from the Aboh situation whr the people actually migrated to nd settled in a new land far from home, maintainin minimal communicatn wit their parent tribe(thr were no roads at d time nd d Ndokwa area is a rain forest region) hence for the reason of 'lack of need' lost their original language
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Abagworo(m): 3:54pm On Aug 11, 2013
Written history is quite a wicked evidence especially when it is detailed and from a neutral writer.

http://archive.org/stream/narrativeofexped01alle/narrativeofexped01alle_djvu.txt

* Treaty between the Queen of Great Britain, and Obi Osa'i Chief of
Aboh or {Eboe or Ibu.)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 5:21pm On Aug 11, 2013
Abagworo: Written history is quite a wicked evidence especially when it is detailed and from a neutral writer.

http://archive.org/stream/narrativeofexped01alle/narrativeofexped01alle_djvu.txt

Aboh or {Eboe or Ibu.)

this is d second time u r posting this link. Wht does it prove? An expedition tht was done a million years ago to d coastal areas of d Niger river tht ended up wit d brits making hasty generalizatn is now more important than the natives knowledge of their own history nd identity. Thnx for d link tho i've bin reading it, hv learnt a lot from it nd will comment more on it once i've read it all thru
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by bigfrancis21: 5:58pm On Aug 11, 2013
clefstone: this is d second time u r posting this link. Wht does it prove? An expedition tht was done a million years ago to d coastal areas of d Niger river tht ended up wit d brits making hasty generalizatn is now more important than the natives knowledge of their own history nd identity. Thnx for d link tho i've bin reading it, hv learnt a lot from it nd will comment more on it once i've read it all thru

One man's fiction of his imagination is never used to generalize or speak for a whole people. You've kept on making up your own theories. Please drop verifiable links and sources to back up your 'theory'. Otherwise, they are as good as lies.

2 Likes

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Abagworo(m): 6:21pm On Aug 11, 2013
clefstone: this is d second time u r posting this link. Wht does it prove? An expedition tht was done a million years ago to d coastal areas of d Niger river tht ended up wit d brits making hasty generalizatn is now more important than the natives knowledge of their own history nd identity. Thnx for d link tho i've bin reading it, hv learnt a lot from it nd will comment more on it once i've read it all thru

If you make a sincere analysis, you'll realize that the Igbo generalization originated from Aboh since the Europeans were yet to enter the Igbo hinterland. There are 3 possible angles to the genesis of the generalization.

1) Nembe/Brass

2) Bonny

3) Aboh

Both the Bonny and Brass people knew Abohs as Igbos.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 8:03pm On Aug 11, 2013
Abagworo:

If you make a sincere analysis, you'll realize that the Igbo generalization originated from Aboh since the Europeans were yet to enter the Igbo hinterland. There are 3 possible angles to the genesis of the generalization.

1) Nembe/Brass

2) Bonny

3) Aboh

Both the Bonny and Brass people knew Abohs as Igbos.
from ur previous comments, the word 'igbo' is a derivative from the word Aboh(d Aboh, ebo, ibo, igbo tin). If this is true, d Bonny and Brass pple likely cos of their accent called Abohs ebos at the time. Also from ur previous comments, the term Igbo as it is known today was coined in d beginning part of the 20th century and before then was alien to the people of the S/East. It therefore follows that even though both words ebo nd igbo developed from a common origin, the use of d word Igbo nd d meaning it connotes at the present time is different from 1841 and before when it was a mis-pronounced name for the people of Aboh. I hope i've bin able to accurately put my thots into words
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Abagworo(m): 8:48pm On Aug 11, 2013
clefstone: from ur previous comments, the word 'igbo' is a derivative from the word Aboh(d Aboh, ebo, ibo, igbo tin). If this is true, d Bonny and Brass pple likely cos of their accent called Abohs ebos at the time. Also from ur previous comments, the term Igbo as it is known today was coined in d beginning part of the 20th century and before then was alien to the people of the S/East. It therefore follows that even though both words ebo nd igbo developed from a common origin, the use of d word Igbo nd d meaning it connotes at the present time is different from 1841 and before when it was a mis-pronounced name for the people of Aboh. I hope i've bin able to accurately put my thots into words

As at then it was used for Aboh and other people that spoke the language of Aboh people who were not Aboh and not under the reign of Eze of Aboh. Three distinct tribes all known as Igbo were recognized by this expedition.

Got under weigh at about six A.M.,
and came opposite the group of villages of Ossa-
mare or Awsimini, on the left bank. This place is
said to be the resort of traders between Aboh and the
Elugu and Isoama tribes of the Ibo country.

Aboh, Elugu and Isoama are actually Delta, Anambra and Imo of today which means the Europeans were wise enough to notice the similarity and differences between the three as different tribes but still called them Igbo in general.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 10:51am On Aug 12, 2013
Abagworo:

As at then it was used for Aboh and other people that spoke the language of Aboh people who were not Aboh and not under the reign of Eze of Aboh. Three distinct tribes all known as Igbo were recognized by this expedition.

Aboh, Elugu and Isoama are actually Delta, Anambra and Imo of today which means the Europeans were wise enough to notice the similarity and differences between the three as different tribes but still called them Igbo in general.
I hv now read the whole parts of the expedition related to Aboh. Naturally, as an Aboh man it was interesting and very emotional too. I hv comments on d subject but will address them later. Hv a nyc week
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:40pm On Aug 12, 2013
Do you guys ever get tired ?? If he says he isn't Igbo let him be,biko. I have a lot of Kwale friends and I know what they claim. Arguing with him makes him feel important.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 6:33pm On Aug 12, 2013
Esume migrated from bini area, to become the founder of Aboh, but i don't think he was a bini man,or even bini speaking, Esume was accompanied on his journey to aboh from bini by his friends,whose name were given as Osutili, Etim,Oputa, and Ozoma, and you would agree with me that all those his friends had igbo names, hence i would believe Esume was probably an Igbo man with a Bini name. Futhermore,Esume's first son who replaced him was named Ogwezi, why would a bini man start giving his son,an igbo name.

Aboh's name came about because, during the reign of Ogwezi, the abohs decided to kill and chase out the original owners of the land we call aboh today, the AKIRI people. they did that by inviting the akiris to a feast, but unknowing to the akiris, the aboh's hid matchets behind yam baskets called ABOH JI, when the akiris showed up for the feast, the abohs used those hidden matchets to kill and chase them out of aboh, few of the akiri that remained were absorbed into aboh,and they formed the Idumu iwele, idumu iwele people are the people that produce the ezeani in aboh, i want to believe that this is not unconnected to their being the aborigenes of the land.

So, as we can see,even the name,Aboh,is deeply rooted in the Igbo word,ABOH JI ( yam basket), why should a bini town be named after an igbo word.

3 Likes

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 6:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: Do you guys ever get tired ?? If he says he isn't Igbo let him be,biko. I have a lot of Kwale friends and I know what they claim. Arguing with him makes him feel important.

Unlike agbotaen and his side kick sony4all in the delta igbo thread, i have this feeling that clef actually came here to learn more about his identity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by oturugo(m): 7:19pm On Aug 12, 2013
pazienza:

Unlike agbotaen and his side kick sony4all in the delta igbo thread, i have this feeling that clef actually came here to learn more about his identity.
Why is it that those very few ones who deny Igbo are so noisy about it?. They are in the minority yet so loud about not being Igbo.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 8:06pm On Aug 12, 2013
pazienza:

I hv been told these stories over nd again nd i hv read various accounts of Aboh history in d past. I must admit i hv learnt some stuff from this discussion especially from Abagworo. My dad told me a very long time ago how on seeing the Lander bros, the Abohs thot they didnt hv toes cos they were wearing stockings. Concerning the name Esumai and his co-migrants, it is expected tht once these people lost their original lingua the names they knew those pple as would be lost too. Wht were Igbo men doin in Benin at tht time? A proof of the migratn of d Esumai band is the political turmoil in the Bini kingdom at d time wc wud account for exodus of pple away from Benin. Since the binis had superior military might and political structure, it is easy to phantom why these pple were able to easily conquer d aborigenes, most like igbos, and establish a kind of political structure that didnt exist in any 'Igbo' clan
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 8:24pm On Aug 12, 2013
Abagworo: Written history is quite a wicked evidence especially when it is detailed and from a neutral writer.

Aboh or {Eboe or Ibu.)

Its funny how this very article proves u wrong. At a point on the way to Aboh, the writer describes the people of Ibu tribe as being stout. When at Aboh, d same writer described the Abohs as being tall, yellow with big hands nd feet. There is already a sharp contrast. Its obvious he described people of two different tribes. Also, d write up clearly shows the Abohs were more accustomed to d pple of the Delta than the Igbos
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Antivirus92(m): 9:47pm On Aug 12, 2013
clefstone: Its funny how this very article proves u wrong. At a point on the way to Aboh, the writer describes the people of Ibu tribe as being stout. When at Aboh, d same writer described the Abohs as being tall, yellow with big hands nd feet. There is already a sharp contrast. Its obvious he described people of two different tribes. Also, d write up clearly shows the Abohs were more accustomed to d pple of the Delta than the Igbos
guy don't be confused by some misconceptions. The europeans did not find out that those people are distinct people. The europeans could not even differentiate between the various dialects of the people if the people in question had not told them. The europeans could only noticed that the people do communicate and understand each other. Even though the people knew that there are slight differences in their dialects, which to them made them different group of people. But in actual fact they are not distinct tribes. THEY ONLY LACK KNOWLEDGE OF EACH OTHER.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Antivirus92(m): 10:12pm On Aug 12, 2013
clefstone: Hi, you hv to understnd d difference b/w aboriginals nd original aboh settlers as used in my comment. As regard d hausa situation, d difference is tht those northern group tht speak hausa as a second language hv remained in their ancestral territory, a situation different from the Aboh situation whr the people actually migrated to nd settled in a new land far from home, maintainin minimal communicatn wit their parent tribe(thr were no roads at d time nd d Ndokwa area is a rain forest region) hence for the reason of 'lack of need' lost their original language
guy let me give u instances how a group of people can loose their language to another language. Firstly,colonisation
secondly,when a small group of people meet a larger group,they get swallowed up.
Thirdly,Expansion of empires and kingdoms
Fourthly,war:the victor and the vanquished. TRADE does not bring about change of language. Trade can make the parties involved borrow words from each other. The abohs drove away the aborigenes who would have made them change their bini language. So i wonder how and to whom they later lost it if they are actually bini speaking people.

5 Likes

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 10:16pm On Aug 12, 2013
clefstone: I hv been told these stories over nd again nd i hv read various accounts of Aboh history in d past. I must admit i hv learnt some stuff from this discussion especially from Abagworo. My dad told me a very long time ago how on seeing the Lander bros, the Abohs thot they didnt hv toes cos they were wearing stockings. Concerning the name Esumai and his co-migrants, it is expected tht once these people lost their original lingua the names they knew those pple as would be lost too. Wht were Igbo men doin in Benin at tht time? A proof of the migratn of d Esumai ba Ind is the political turmoil in the Bini kingdom at d time wc wud account for exodus of pple away from Benin. Since the binis had superior military might and political structure, it is easy to phantom why these pple were able to easily conquer d aborigenes, most like igbos, and establish a kind of political structure that didnt exist in any 'Igbo' clan

What were Igbo men doing in Bini at that time? you can as well ask what are igbo people scattered all over Nigeria and the world over, doing there. Just like igbos run from the north and west towards east,when their fortunes in those places turn bad, so did ezechima,esumai,osutili,etim,oputa,ozoma,akalaka, etc, run from bini towards the east(their home), when their fortunes in bini turned for worst, it is history repeating itself.

Why would Aboh conquer akiri people only to adopt their language? the only elanation is that aboh was already Igbo speaking,as we see from the name they gave their new found town, their name of the political posts, of course, having resided in bini, esumai was always going to model the kingdom in a bini like manner.

1 Like

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 10:23pm On Aug 12, 2013
clefstone: I hv been told these stories over nd again nd i hv read various accounts of Aboh history in d past. I must admit i hv learnt some stuff from this discussion especially from Abagworo. My dad told me a very long time ago how on seeing the Lander bros, the Abohs thot they didnt hv toes cos they were wearing stockings. Concerning the name Esumai and his co-migrants, it is expected tht once these people lost their original lingua the names they knew those pple as would be lost too. Wht were Igbo men doin in Benin at tht time? A proof of the migratn of d Esumai ba Ind is the political turmoil in the Bini kingdom at d time wc wud account for exodus of pple away from Benin. Since the binis had superior military might and political structure, it is easy to phantom why these pple were able to easily conquer d aborigenes, most like igbos, and establish a kind of political structure that didnt exist in any 'Igbo' clan

What were Igbo men doing in Bini at that time? you can as well ask what are igbo people scattered all over Nigeria and the world over, doing there. Just like igbos run from the north and west towards east,when their fortunes in those places turn bad, so did ezechima,esumai,osutili,etim,oputa,ozoma,akalaka, etc, run from bini towards the east(their home), when their fortunes in bini turned for worst, it is history repeating itself.

Why would Aboh conquer akiri people only to adopt their language? the only explanation is that aboh was already Igbo speaking,as we see from the name they gave their new found town, their name of the political posts, of course, having resided in bini, esumai was always going to model the kingdom in a bini like manner.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 10:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
And by the way,the AKRI people were not easily conquered,which was why esumai had to resort to co existence with them, and his son and successor,Ogwezi, had to result to deceit and cunning behaviour to drive away the AKRI people. Many igbo speaking groups drove away other igbobspeaking groups and claimed their territory in ancient times, for example, the Edda people in ebonyi state, migrating from cross river/akwaibom area, fought and displaced the original settlers of eddaland, and drove them into umunneochi and orumba south areas of abia and anambra states. aboh pushing akiri towards ogbaru area of anambra is no biggie, it was the norm those days. just as edda and the igbo groupsvthey displaced were igbo speaking, so was akri and aboh.

And again, there is nothing superior about monarchy,if it were,the civilized and developed world today,wouldn't have dumped it for democracy/republic.

3 Likes

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 11:04pm On Aug 12, 2013
pazienza: And by the way,the AKRI people were not easily conquered,which was why esumai had to resort to co existence with them, and his son and successor,Ogwezi, had to result to deceit and cunning behaviour to drive away the AKRI people. Many igbo speaking groups drove away other igbobspeaking groups and claimed their territory in ancient times, for example, the Edda people in ebonyi state, migrating from cross river/akwaibom area, fought and displaced the original settlers of eddaland, and drove them into umunneochi and orumba south areas of abia and anambra states. aboh pushing akiri towards ogbaru area of anambra is no biggie, it was the norm those days. just as edda and the igbo groupsvthey displaced were igbo speaking, so was akri and aboh.

And again, there is nothing superior about monarchy,if it were,the civilized and developed world today,wouldn't have dumped it for democracy/republic.
my friend, whr u r gettin this wrong is ur seeming assumptn that the said migratn settlement and eventual sack/colonization of the ?Akiri people occured in a week. It must hv been a process that lasted for decades, a reason y Esumai wasn't even d first Obi of Aboh but his son. And pls do not compare the present times wit the 16th century, tht Igbos r scattered all ova nigeria today doesnt mean they were at tht time. Is thr any record of trade b/w d igbos nd binis in d 16th century. Lastly wht makes a political system superior is its ability to foster economic growth, political stability and protect the sovereignty. At the time, i dnt think any igbo clan could rival Aboh, and certainly Benin in tht regard
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 11:09pm On Aug 12, 2013
Antivirus92: guy let me give u instances how a group of people can loose their language to another language. Firstly,colonisation
secondly,when a small group of people meet a larger group,they get swallowed up.
Thirdly,Expansion of empires and kingdoms
Fourthly,war:the victor and the vanquished. TRADE does not bring about change of language. Trade can make the parties involved borrow words from each other. The abohs drove away the aborigenes who would have made them change their bini language. So i wonder how and to whom they later lost it if they are actually bini speaking people.
Once the Abohs settled, their language, in ur own word, got 'swallowed up' by d language of the aborigenes. But d Abohs later took over political control of the area. Its much like what Pharoah feared d Isrealites wud do once their populatn in Egypt got too large for comfort, #assuming u r a christian
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 12:01am On Aug 13, 2013
clefstone: Its funny how this very article proves u wrong. At a point on the way to Aboh, the writer describes the people of Ibu tribe as being stout. When at Aboh, d same writer described the Abohs as being tall, yellow with big hands nd feet. There is already a sharp contrast. Its obvious he described people of two different tribes. Also, d write up clearly shows the Abohs were more accustomed to d pple of the Delta than the Igbos

Now i am convinced that you are of the same stock as agbontaen, you are simply not being sincere. The explorers in that report never visited the igbo east of the niger,and never made comparisions of the physical looks of the igbos at aboh and those across the niger. He was actually comparing the natives of aboh with those of other west africans, let me quote him:

'' The natives of aboh are comparatively tall for west africans,well-made and muscular, but the hands and feet are large, the most prevalent colour is yellowish or brownish-black''

Now, this was how he described the aboh,in comparison to other west africans, and any nigerian who is not igbo can see that this description fits the igbos at both sides of the Niger.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 12:08am On Aug 13, 2013
On a similar note, i noticed how you skipped other characteristics of aboh,that was given there, your omission of them was intentional,it simply showed that you didnt come into this discussion to learn,but rather,you came with agbontaen spirit.

The king of aboh was named Ezeh obi ossai, he worshiped a divine being called tshuku(Chukwu), his first son,s name was Chukwuma, his daugher's name who he gave out to king of brass was adze( Adaeze), he equally worshipped his arrisi( arusi) . from these information, a neutral mind would have deduced the truth. ezeh obi ossai was as Igbo as they come.

3 Likes

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 12:17am On Aug 13, 2013
Let's look at the submission of the explorers.

''We acertained that the name Ibu belongs to a large tract of country lying on both sides of the niger,but is more extensive to the east of it,and containing possibly many independent tribes,of which Obi rules over villages in the immediate neighbourhood of the river and it appears that his power does not extend much beyond the reach of his canoes, the real name of his chief town, we found is Aboh,and not Ibu or Eboe as lander called it''
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 12:25am On Aug 13, 2013
clefstone: my friend, whr u r gettin this wrong is ur seeming assumptn that the said migratn settlement and eventual sack/colonization of the ?Akiri people occured in a week. It must hv been a process that lasted for decades, a reason y Esumai wasn't even d first Obi of Aboh but his son. And pls do not compare the present times wit the 16th century, tht Igbos r scattered all ova nigeria today doesnt mean they were at tht time. Is thr any record of trade b/w d igbos nd binis in d 16th century. Lastly wht makes a political system superior is its ability to foster economic growth, political stability and protect the sovereignty. At the time, i dnt think any igbo clan could rival Aboh, and certainly Benin in tht regard

So, you mean that it took just few decades,for the Akri people to make the aboh people to completely erase their bini language, replace it with akri language,and even named themselves using akri language- aboh ji( yam basket) ? Wow!

I am now convinced that you are one of the descendants of ezzeh obi ossai hausa slaves, whom he granted freedom,and allowed to become aboh citizens, when he signed the queen's treaty,which mandated him to stop his slave trade. I have always wondered what became of ezeh obi ossai hausa slaves descendants, now i can see i have found one of them in nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 12:34am On Aug 13, 2013
[quote author=clefstone]my friend, whr u r gettin this wrong is ur seeming assumptn that the said migratn settlement and eventual sack/colonization of the ?Akiri people occured in a week. It must hv been a process that lasted for decades, a reason y Esumai wasn't even d first Obi of Aboh but his son. And pls do not compare the present times wit the 16th century, tht Igbos r scattered all ova nigeria today doesnt mean they were at tht time. Is thr any record of trade b/w d igbos nd binis in d 16th century. Lastly wht makes a political system superior is its ability to foster economic growth, political stability and protect the sovereignty. At the time, i dnt think any igbo clan could rival Aboh, and certainly Benin in tht regard[/quote

Ancient bini was great, it is only normal that you have other people of othet tribes living there, Bini made use of many war machineries , even the Obaseki family, were originally igbo from nsukwe in anioma, but long migrated to bini, and rose to a great rank in bini, same was the case of ezechima, esumai, akalaka, etc.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 9:19am On Aug 13, 2013
pazienza:

Now i am convienced that you are of the same stock as agbontaen, you are simply not being sincere. The explorers in that report never visited the igbo east of the niger,and never made comparisions of the physical looks of the igbos at aboh and those across the niger. He was actually comparing the natives of aboh with those of other west africans, let me quote him:

'' The natives of aboh are comparatively tall for west africans,well-made and muscular, but the hands and feet are large, the most prevalent colour is yellowish or brownish-black''

Now, this was how he described the aboh,in comparison to other west africans, and any nigerian who is not igbo can see that this description fits the igbos at both sides of the Niger.
an excerpt from d letter, 'The men here, as well as those we have seen of the ''true Ibu race'' were stout and well made, of middling stature'. This statement was made when at Oniah, probably 'Onitcha'. Take note of the use of the phrase 'true Ibu race'. Now, contrast wht d writer had to say about the look of the Abohs once in Aboh: ''natives of Aboh are comparatively tall for west Africans, well made and muscular, but the hands and feet are large, the most prevalent colour is yellowish or brownish- black. For ur info, this description fits the Abohs, even today just as the descriptn of the true Ibus fit the Igbos as we know them today.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Oba Taofeek Fatusi Obawole Installs Young Man As Chief In Texas, USA / Ooni Ogunwusi Hosts Eze Chukwuemeka Eri / Question: What Is Igbako In English?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.