Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos (36120 Views)

Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / So Yagba In Kogi State Are Yorubas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:00pm On Aug 14, 2013
Igala and Idoma boader Igbo to the north,they borrowed,cultures from the Igbo,intermarried with the Igbo,traded with the Igbo and lived amongst the Igbo but their language was never altered. The Igbo must posses some extraordinary supreme powers to have really transformed Aboh from Benin to Igbo over night eventhough there was no Igbo settlement there or they were chased out. Then again how can someone you defeated and chased out can turn around dominate and influence their culture on you to the point that there is close to zero traces of your original identity. They run around calling us Igbon(whatever that means) with no kingdom yet its our culture that dominated their and gave them identity.

3 Likes

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 10:30pm On Aug 14, 2013
tonychristopher: Aboh is an igbo word and we have another aboh in IMO state

Oputa is an igbo word and we anambra bear it also plus IMO and kwale so are we not igbo

What are your market days
What do you call : God
What do you call land
What do you call food
What do you call today
What do you call man
What do you call chair
What do you call children

Let's argue maturedly BIko maka ndi ofe mmanu

Ifele na emezi m

Anyi Bu ofu
My inlaw, you r stil goin back to language, words nd meanings. That is not enough to call us a people of the same tribe. As much as we r all one, as human beings, we r not the same 'tribe'. Related tribe? Yes, same tribe? No. From d record of the famous expedition, its obvious, so obvious that the Abohs related with the Ijaws and even the Igalas more than d 'Igbos' in those times. Thr r people today in Aboh who know without doubt tht their origin is Igara. Today they hv been so assimilated into aboh tht they dnt even know anytin about Igala. Thr r Isokos wit same history in Aboh. Not to mention the Ndonis of River state, just across the niger from Aboh. I am telling u about people i knw, some related to me, some whose blood run in my vein. I am not tellin u based on assumption or a writer who wrote so much about a people he met in little more than 2days, i'm tellin u based on fact. Aboh is a heterogenous society and the only homogenous grp r those who descended from Esumai Ukwu, from whom the Obi is selected. Igbos r great people nd hv produced some of the soundest minds this country has seen, but Abohs r not rily Igbos. Our values r different. Abohs r related to the Igbos in some way as much as they r related to Isokos, Urhobos, Ijaws etc. But we r Abohs, thts our tribe
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 10:46pm On Aug 14, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli: Igala and Idoma boader Igbo to the north,they borrowed,cultures from the Igbo,intermarried with the Igbo,traded with the Igbo and lived amongst the Igbo but their language was never altered. The Igbo must posses some extraordinary supreme powers to have really transformed Aboh from Benin to Igbo over night eventhough there was no Igbo settlement there or they were chased out. Then again how can someone you defeated and chased out can turn around dominate and influence their culture on you to the point that there is close to zero traces of your original identity. They run around calling us Igbon(whatever that means) with no kingdom yet its our culture that dominated their and gave them identity.
both situations r different. The Idomas nd Igalas hv remained in their ancestral origin. The Abohs left home to hundreds of miles away and had to live among people of other tribe.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Abagworo(m): 11:33pm On Aug 14, 2013
clefstone: My inlaw, you r stil goin back to language, words nd meanings. That is not enough to call us a people of the same tribe. As much as we r all one, as human beings, we r not the same 'tribe'. Related tribe? Yes, same tribe? No. From d record of the famous expedition, its obvious, so obvious that the Abohs related with the Ijaws and even the Igalas more than d 'Igbos' in those times. Thr r people today in Aboh who know without doubt tht their origin is Igara. Today they hv been so assimilated into aboh tht they dnt even know anytin about Igala. Thr r Isokos wit same history in Aboh. Not to mention the Ndonis of River state, just across the niger from Aboh. I am telling u about people i knw, some related to me, some whose blood run in my vein. I am not tellin u based on assumption or a writer who wrote so much about a people he met in little more than 2days, i'm tellin u based on fact. Aboh is a heterogenous society and the only homogenous grp r those who descended from Esumai Ukwu, from whom the Obi is selected. Igbos r great people nd hv produced some of the soundest minds this country has seen, but Abohs r not rily Igbos. Our values r different. Abohs r related to the Igbos in some way as much as they r related to Isokos, Urhobos, Ijaws etc. But we r Abohs, thts our tribe

I laugh at your ignorance. Igbo is not a tribe. I wonder how the Europeans of 1841 seem to be more intelligent than a Nigerian of 2013. Europeans knew Aboh was a separate tribe from Aro, Isoama and Elugu but they also knew they all belonged to one parent ethnic group. Everything you wrote about some people in Aboh being from Igara or relating with Ijaws etc is quite universal to all Igbo tribes. The Nris also related with Igala and Idoma. The Aros related with Igala, Ijaw, Efik, Ejegam, Ibibio and even tribes in Cameroun and Gabon. The Ogutas related with Ijaws and Igara. The Ndokis related with Ijaws. The Isoamas related with Igala and Ijaws, the Orsus related with Igara and Ijaws. In this same manner there exists variance in culture like Kingships which are unrelated. The Nris had the Nri kingship, The Abiribas had Enachioken, the Onitshas had Obi, the Owerris had Eze and this was about same time as Aboh.

Read this about Nsukka http://akudiewa.tripod.com/id1.html

About Abiriba http://aciuvalencia.tripod.com/id1.html

About Oguta http://ogutaorigin.com/Origin_and_Settlement_of_Oguta_Ameshi.html

Notice the similarity with your Aboh but you think I'm Igbo while you're not.

1 Like

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by tonychristopher: 7:47am On Aug 15, 2013
The monkey said that she cannot vouch for the child she is carrying on her back why cos he might pluck fruit along the way but can only vouch for her UNborn baby

My wife calls her self igbo and oputa and nzeribe is a common igbo names that even anambra bear it

Do Me a favour google ukwuani or ask any tribe be it edo whom you want to attach which tribe is igbo

In my wife place they all marry igbos none I mean none married edo they say that they don't have any common grounds with them

Say I am not igbo not ukwuani are not igbo and tell Me the meaning of aboh and ukwuani

Do you know we have aboh in IMO
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by bokohalal(m): 9:22am On Aug 15, 2013
tonychristopher: The monkey said that she cannot vouch for the child she is carrying on her back why cos he might pluck fruit along the way but can only vouch for her UNborn baby

My wife calls her self igbo and oputa and nzeribe is a common igbo names that even anambra bear it

Do Me a favour google ukwuani or ask any tribe be it edo whom you want to attach which tribe is igbo

In my wife place they all marry igbos none I mean none married edo they say that they don't have any common grounds with them

Say I am not igbo not ukwuani are not igbo and tell Me the meaning of aboh and ukwuani

Do you mean they do not marry Edos,since they have nothing in common,but only Igbos, because they have a lot in common?
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 11:47am On Aug 15, 2013
tonychristopher: The monkey said that she cannot vouch for the child she is carrying on her back why cos he might pluck fruit along the way but can only vouch for her UNborn baby

To say in your wife's place they ALL marry Igbos and don't marry Edos is a fallacy except u can prove tht no Kwale person has ever married an Edo which i know is a big lie. Abohs r neither Igbos nor Edos. As at the time of the expedition, Aboh was a kingdom with Aboh as d headqtr nd the Obi as the sovereign. Your wife's kwale was part of the Aboh kingdom at tht time tht is why they neva had an independent ruler until maybe recently. Kwale til this day has no Obi. Today tins r not exactly d same, many of d clans tht made up d kingdom r now independent.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by tonychristopher: 3:08pm On Aug 15, 2013
clefstone: To say in your wife's place they ALL marry Igbos and don't marry Edos is a fallacy except u can prove tht no Kwale person has ever married an Edo which i know is a big lie. Abohs r neither Igbos nor Edos. As at the time of the expedition, Aboh was a kingdom with Aboh as d headqtr nd the Obi as the sovereign. Your wife's kwale was part of the Aboh kingdom at tht time tht is why they neva had an independent ruler until maybe recently. Kwale til this day has no Obi. Today tins r not exactly d same, many of d clans tht made up d kingdom r now independent.

The Ụkwụànì dialect, which is intelligible with the dialects of Aboh and Ndoni, is a dialect of the Igbo language. Some commentators consider it distinct from the Igbo language. Whatever the case, there is more in common between the Ụkwụànì dialect/language and the Igbo language than otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukwuani_people
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by tonychristopher: 3:11pm On Aug 15, 2013
http://www.joshuaproject.net/people-profile.php?peo3=15699..

Ukwuani-Aboh, Kwale of Nigeria

Send us a photo of this people. [1]

Get Involved

Send us a map of this people group in this country.
Population [2] Language Religion % Christian % Evangl Online NT Jesus Film Progress
258,000 Ukwuani-Aboh-Ndoni Christianity 95.00 % 31.00 % Not available Not available 3.2
Profile Text
Submit Profile Text:
No profile text currently available.

Joshua Project welcomes profile text suggestions. Profiles should be approximately 1,000 words and use the outline:

Introduction / History
Where are they located?
What are their lives like?
What are their beliefs?
What are their needs?
Prayer Points

Prayer Links
PrayerGuard.net
Geography Submit Update:
Continent: Africa
Region: West and Central Africa
Persecution Rank: 13 (Only top 50 ranked, 1 = highest persecution ranking)
10/40 Window: Yes
Total Provinces on file: 1
Location in Country: Delta state, Ndokwa LGA; Rivers state, Ogba-Egbema-Ndoni LGA
(Source: Ethnologue 2010)

Maps
Submit Map:
Country Map: Political map
Ethnolinguistic Map: University of Texas or other map
Linguistic Map: Ethnologue language map

Peoples [3]
Submit Update:
People Name in Country: Ukwuani-Aboh, Kwale
People Name General: Ukwuani-Aboh
Alternate People Names:
Kwale
ROP3 Code: 110380
Joshua Project People ID: 15699
Indigenous: Yes
Population in Country: 258,000
Population all Countries: 258,000
Least-Reached: No

Ethnicity
Affinity Bloc: Sub-Saharan Peoples
People Cluster: Igbo
People Name General: Ukwuani-Aboh
Ethnic Code: NAB59h
Ethnic Relationships: Affinity Bloc -> People Cluster -> Peoples Ethnicity Tree

LanguageSubmit Update:
Primary Language: Ukwuani-Aboh-Ndoni (258,000 Speakers)
Language Code (ISO): ukw Ethnologue Listing
Total Languages: 1

Religion [4]
Submit Update:
Primary Religion: Christianity
Religion Sub-division: Roman Catholic
Major Religions:
Buddhism 0.00 %
Christianity 95.00 % (Evangelical: 31.00 %)
Ethnic Religions 5.00 %
Hinduism 0.00 %
Islam 0.00 %
Non-Religious 0.00 %
Other / Small 0.00 %
Unknown 0.00 %
Christianity Segments:
Anglican 0.00 %
Independent 0.00 %
Protestant 20.00 %
Orthodox 0.00 %
Other Christian 0.00 %
Roman Catholic 80.00 %

(Evangelicals distributed across Christianity segments)

Progress Indicators [5]
Progress Scale: [6] 3.2 Evangelicals >5%
Least-Reached: No
GSEC Status: Level 5 Greater than or equal to 5% Evangelical

Bible Translation Status Submit Update:
Bible Portions: Help start a Bible Translation
New Testament: None Reported
Complete Bible: None Reported

Ministry Resources [7]
Submit Link:
Audio Recordings MegaVoice Audio Bible and Stories
Audio Recordings Global Recordings

Ministry Activity
Register Ministry Activity:
Description: Register your ministry activity among this people group. Contact the Adopt-A-People Clearinghouse and Unleashed for the Unreached to learn about others that might be focused on this people group.

Data Notes:
Data Sources:

Get Involved
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by tonychristopher: 7:46pm On Aug 16, 2013
clefstone: My inlaw, you r stil goin back to language, words nd meanings. That is not enough to call us a people of the same tribe. As much as we r all one, as human beings, we r not the same 'tribe'. Related tribe? Yes, same tribe? No. From d record of the famous expedition, its obvious, so obvious that the Abohs related with the Ijaws and even the Igalas more than d 'Igbos' in those times. Thr r people today in Aboh who know without doubt tht their origin is Igara. Today they hv been so assimilated into aboh tht they dnt even know anytin about Igala. Thr r Isokos wit same history in Aboh. Not to mention the Ndonis of River state, just across the niger from Aboh. I am telling u about people i knw, some related to me, some whose blood run in my vein. I am not tellin u based on assumption or a writer who wrote so much about a people he met in little more than 2days, i'm tellin u based on fact. Aboh is a heterogenous society and the only homogenous grp r those who descended from Esumai Ukwu, from whom the Obi is selected. Igbos r great people nd hv produced some of the soundest minds this country has seen, but Abohs r not rily Igbos. Our values r different. Abohs r related to the Igbos in some way as much as they r related to Isokos, Urhobos, Ijaws etc. But we r Abohs, thts our tribe

Ogo m pls tell me apart from langauage and cultural practice ! Which igbos share what difference. And tell me one cos culturally my wife and me share same

Ok how did igbo so colonised aboh that they dumped their ancestral language and speak igbo! Atleast Brits colonised us and we still maintain our language same with Rome colonised Brits but they still maintain their language . Is aboh case different or is it a case of collective amnesia

Another thing go ask ijaw edo and IgAlla which tribe is aboh and ukwuani then tell me the name and meaning of the town

I need convinction not speculation

I love my wife and maturity .... Its an urhobo woman that told me they are igbo first time I met her before we started speaking our igbo

Nna don't be a minority biko
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 9:06pm On Aug 16, 2013
tonychristopher:

Ogo m pls tell me apart from langauage and cultural practice ! Which igbos share what difference. And tell me one cos culturally my wife and me share same

Ok how did igbo so colonised aboh that they dumped their ancestral language and speak igbo! Atleast Brits colonised us and we still maintain our language same with Rome colonised Brits but they still maintain their language . Is aboh case different or is it a case of collective amnesia

Another thing go ask ijaw edo and IgAlla which tribe is aboh and ukwuani then tell me the name and meaning of the town

I need convinction not speculation

I love my wife and maturity .... Its an urhobo woman that told me they are igbo first time I met her before we started speaking our igbo

Nna don't be a minority biko
To explain hw the Abohs lost our language nd adopted Igbo, i'l use the example of the sokoto jihad of the 19th century(less than 200yrs ago). A result of the Fulani's successful conquer of many local northern tribes was the establishment of Emirates in most of the northern part of present day Nigeria. In each of these Emirates, Fulanis were installed as Emirs and many Fulanis settled in them. Til this day, only descendants of the Fulani ruling houses r eligible to become Emirs in these places. Guess what? These people today can't speak the Fulani language even though they know they r Fulanis, they mostly speak Hausa, d commercial language of d north, and the languages of those tribes. This is exactly wht happened to the Abohs.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by bigfrancis21: 10:34pm On Aug 16, 2013
clefstone: To explain hw the Abohs lost our language nd adopted Igbo, i'l use the example of the sokoto jihad of the 19th century(less than 200yrs ago). A result of the Fulani's successful conquer of many local northern tribes was the establishment of Emirates in most of the northern part of present day Nigeria. In each of these Emirates, Fulanis were installed as Emirs and many Fulanis settled in them. Til this day, only descendants of the Fulani ruling houses r eligible to become Emirs in these places. Guess what? These people today can't speak the Fulani language even though they know they r Fulanis, they mostly speak Hausa, d commercial language of d north, and the languages of those tribes. This is exactly wht happened to the Abohs.

The Igbo peoples have never been known to be colonialists. What you just wrote up there is absurd. The Igbo peoples today were not called Igbos 100 years ago, how much more 200 or 300 years ago when your supposed 'Igbo colonialism' took place. Each sub group identified by their clan name. Why then are you pointing accusatory fingers at the 'Igbos' as if there was a tribe called Igbo 300 years ago? Why don't you ever drop any sources or links that verifies your made-up tales? I remember asking you for one before, you smartly dodged my post and went on making up false history for yourself. Were you there when your so-called Igbo colonialism took place? How did you know it happened?

I've been silently reading your posts and I've noticed that you keep making up fables just to suit your beliefs. A thousand and one sources can be posted here that indicates the Igbo ancestry of the Abohs, yet you choose to ignore them and rather cling on to some fabricated history you've made for yourself. So many things point to a pure Igbo ancestry of the Aboh. Aboh is found in Delta state and also far away in Aboh-Mbaise in Imo state. Again, you smartly turned a blind eye to this fact and chose to ignore it. Assuming Aboh was a name of a town in Igala land or Edo land, you'll be all over nairaland shouting and yelling how Aboh is of Igala ancestry or Edo ancestry. Why can't you just drop 3 sources that supports your tales? Even the grandfathers and grandmothers of Aboh who hold the oral history of Aboh wouldn't say all these tales you keep making here, but here you are reveling in the fun of it.

Its clear you simply created this thread not to learn but to engage in needless argument.

1 Like

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 7:25am On Aug 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

The Igbo peoples have never been known to be colonialists. What you just wrote up there is absurd. The Igbo peoples today were not called Igbos 100 years ago, how much more 200 or 300 years ago when your supposed 'Igbo colonialism' took place. Each sub group identified by their clan name. Why then are you pointing accusatory fingers at the 'Igbos' as if there was a tribe called Igbo 300 years ago? Why don't you ever drop any sources or links that verifies your made-up tales? I remember asking you for one before, you smartly dodged my post and went on making up false history for yourself. Were you there when your so-called Igbo colonialism took place? How did you know it happened?

I've been silently reading your posts and I've noticed that you keep making up fables just to suit your beliefs. A thousand and one sources can be posted here that indicates the Igbo ancestry of the Abohs, yet you choose to ignore them and rather cling on to some fabricated history you've made for yourself. So many things point to a pure Igbo ancestry of the Aboh. Aboh is found in Delta state and also far away in Aboh-Mbaise in Imo state. Again, you smartly turned a blind eye to this fact and chose to ignore it. Assuming Aboh was a name of a town in Igala land or Edo land, you'll be all over nairaland shouting and yelling how Aboh is of Igala ancestry or Edo ancestry. Why can't you just drop 3 sources that supports your tales? Even the grandfathers and grandmothers of Aboh who hold the oral history of Aboh wouldn't say all these tales you keep making here, but here you are reveling in the fun of it.

Its clear you simply created this thread not to learn but to engage in needless argument.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboh
i neva thot i wud need a link to talk about my own ancestry. By d way, is thr any link between Aboh-Mbaise nd Aboh?
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by bigfrancis21: 10:30am On Aug 17, 2013
clefstone: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboh
i neva thot i wud need a link to talk about my own ancestry. By d way, is thr any link between Aboh-Mbaise nd Aboh?

That isn't the link I requested. What I requested was the link to a verifiable source supporting your claim of an Igbo-led colonialism on Aboh land.

Yes. The link between both places is the town name usage of an oldtime Igbo name of yore, 'Aboh'. I just remembered now that a village close to my mom's village in Oji River Enugu state also bears 'Aboh'. All these goes a long way to indicate that Aboh is an authentic Igbo town.

I've also noticed another trend among these Edo-clinging groups in tracing their lineage using Edo kings. It is quite clear that the Benin empire had a large territory, expanding all the way to Lagos and western Igboland(Anioma). Several edoid groups were also under this Benin influence such as the Afemai, Esan, Urhobo, Isoko etc. The Benin empire wielded a great influence but didn't find it imperative to spread their language or impose their language on their acquired territories like the British. It seems that Edo language remained as a royal language and was learned as a second language by subdued groups when they visited Benin to communicate with the Obas on Benin and his subjects. During the reign, the Benin empire sent out their representatives to their acquired territories to reign as kings over them, thus maintaining its influence. These benin-blooded kings brought with them the Edo-style of Kingship to the anioma areas they reigned over and they settled in their new foreign territories, only reporting to the King of Benin when necessary. And after each king reigned successfully, his own son took over. With time these kings had descendants who assimilated into the language and culture of the greater populace they found themselves in, while still retaining their Bini surnames(family name) and maybe first name.

This, however, doesn't in no way conjure up to mean that these kings founded these anioma areas. These kings met an already existing Igbo sub group over which they wielded their influence using the Edo kingship style, given the lack of an existing Kingship structure among many Igbo sub groups.

The British people were great colonialists. They expanded their territories by acquiring more territories and sending out their people to lord over the natives. Nigeria was colonized by Britain. And we had series of British 'Kings' who ruled over Nigeria for so many years in quick succession. That doesn't mean they found Nigeria empty. And that doesn't equally mean that we should turn around and claim british ancestry through the British Kings that ruled over us for decades before independence. It would be very laughable for Nigerians to turn
around tomorrow and start claiming British ancestry just because we had British Kings therefore, we are British people. It would also be very absurd
to speculate that an Edo group of people arrived an Igbo-speaking area, drove away the Igbo people and settled there, but yet lost their language to Igbo - the language of the people they chased away! Such logic is flawed. No matter how you try to defend that logic or come up with some imaginary explanation for that, the logic is heavily flawed because history repeats itself. And never in the annals of history has it been recorded that an invading colonial group invaded a land, chased away its natives, settled there and yet lost their own original language and started speaking the language of the natives of which they pursued away and had no contact with again after their exile. Its either there was no such type of invasion actually or that these foreign people who were few in numbers to actually subdue a greater population journeyed into a new language territory, were taken in, and with time assimilated WILLINGLY into the greater population.In history, all invading groups all maintained their language. The English people invaded America, chased away the native indians, settled there and maintained their English language. The Spanish people who led great and far-reaching conquests invaded new areas(Mexico, Uruguay, Paraguay etc) chased away many of the natives, or intermarried with them and maintained Spanish. The same goes for French, Portuguese, and German. The descendants of the Dutch people who invaded South Africa still today speak a Dutch creole, which is reminiscent of their Dutch ancestry. Why can't the same be said for any of these so-called Edo-clinging groups in Delta state? If these people claim to be from Edo, the Edo language should still be spoken somehow, even if its a corruption of Edo, in Anioma. Yet that is non-existent.

Edo kings may have ruled in some anioma areas, that doesn't negate the fact that these people were and still are an original igbo stock who happened to have a foreign king from the Benin empire.

2 Likes

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by tonychristopher: 4:57pm On Aug 17, 2013
clefstone: To explain hw the Abohs lost our language nd adopted Igbo, i'l use the example of the sokoto jihad of the 19th century(less than 200yrs ago). A result of the Fulani's successful conquer of many local northern tribes was the establishment of Emirates in most of the northern part of present day Nigeria. In each of these Emirates, Fulanis were installed as Emirs and many Fulanis settled in them. Til this day, only descendants of the Fulani ruling houses r eligible to become Emirs in these places. Guess what? These people today can't speak the Fulani language even though they know they r Fulanis, they mostly speak Hausa, d commercial language of d north, and the languages of those tribes. This is exactly wht happened to the Abohs.

I think I have been well behaved lately! In law my profession is researching and analysis that what I do in a techie media house so you will understand that I can't be sold a bunkum !!! This your post lacks depth and logic cum reason

I know igbos till date are not colonials so how come you made this up? Is thare any evidence of this and I must be honest with you this is the most pedestal argument I have heard in ages

You don't answer a direct question with instances but you gave me north as an instance! Do you know that hausa is the language but they still have their local language there which they still speak but hausa is just an adopted lingua franca

Now tell me the indegenes language before the almighty igbo colonials invaded aboh and erased their culture and language then wiped their memory !!! There must be archeaological evidences

Pls I beg you for facts not cock and bull story

Let me check the sweet £100 shoe my loving wife just bought for me!!! Lol

Pls facts and not speculation
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by tonychristopher: 5:03pm On Aug 17, 2013
I think I have been well behaved lately! In law my profession is researching and analysis that what I do in a techie media house so you will understand that I can't be sold a bunkum !!! This your post lacks depth and logic cum reason

I know igbos till date are not colonials so how come you made this up? Is thare any evidence of this and I must be honest with you this is the most pedestal argument I have heard in ages

You don't answer a direct question with instances but you gave me north as an instance! Do you know that hausa is the language but they still have their local language there which they still speak but hausa is just an adopted lingua franca

Now tell me the indegenes language before the almighty igbo colonials invaded aboh and erased their culture and language then wiped their memory !!! There must be archeaological evidences

Pls I beg you for facts not cock and bull story

Let me check the sweet £100 shoe my loving wife just bought for me!!! Lol

Pls facts and not speculation
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 5:53pm On Aug 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

That isn't the link I requested. What I requested was the link to a verifiable source supporting your claim of an Igbo-led colonialism on Aboh land.

Yes. The link between both places is the town name usage of an oldtime Igbo name of yore, 'Aboh'. I just remembered now that a village close to my mom's village in Oji River Enugu state also bears 'Aboh'. All these goes a long way to indicate that Aboh is an authentic Igbo town.

I've also noticed another trend among these Edo-clinging groups in tracing their lineage using Edo kings. It is quite clear that the Benin empire had a large territory, expanding all the way to Lagos and western Igboland(Anioma). Several edoid groups were also under this Benin influence such as the Afemai, Esan, Urhobo, Isoko etc. The Benin empire wielded a great influence but didn't find it imperative to spread their language or impose their language on their acquired territories like the British. It seems that Edo language remained as a royal language and was learned as a second language by subdued groups when they visited Benin to communicate with the Obas on Benin and his subjects. During the reign, the Benin empire sent out their representatives to their acquired territories to reign as kings over them, thus maintaining its influence. These benin-blooded kings brought with them the Edo-style of Kingship to the anioma areas they reigned over and they settled in their new foreign territories, only reporting to the King of Benin when necessary. And after each king reigned successfully, his own son took over. With time these kings had descendants who assimilated into the language and culture of the greater populace they found themselves in, while still retaining their Bini surnames(family name) and maybe first name.

This, however, doesn't in no way conjure up to mean that these kings founded these anioma areas. These kings met an already existing Igbo sub group over which they wielded their influence using the Edo kingship style, given the lack of an existing Kingship structure among many Igbo sub groups.

The British people were great colonialists. They expanded their territories by acquiring more territories and sending out their people to lord over the natives. Nigeria was colonized by Britain. And we had series of British 'Kings' who ruled over Nigeria for so many years in quick succession. That doesn't mean they found Nigeria empty. And that doesn't equally mean that we should turn around and claim british ancestry through the British Kings that ruled over us for decades before independence. It would be very laughable for Nigerians to turn
around tomorrow and start claiming British ancestry just because we had British Kings therefore, we are British people. It would also be very absurd
to speculate that an Edo group of people arrived an Igbo-speaking area, drove away the Igbo people and settled there, but yet lost their language to Igbo - the language of the people they chased away! Such logic is flawed. No matter how you try to defend that logic or come up with some imaginary explanation for that, the logic is heavily flawed because history repeats itself. And never in the annals of history has it been recorded that an invading colonial group invaded a land, chased away its natives, settled there and yet lost their own original language and started speaking the language of the natives of which they pursued away and had no contact with again after their exile. Its either there was no such type of invasion actually or that these foreign people who were few in numbers to actually subdue a greater population journeyed into a new language territory, were taken in, and with time assimilated WILLINGLY into the greater population.In history, all invading groups all maintained their language. The English people invaded America, chased away the native indians, settled there and maintained their English language. The Spanish people who led great and far-reaching conquests invaded new areas(Mexico, Uruguay, Paraguay etc) chased away many of the natives, or intermarried with them and maintained Spanish. The same goes for French, Portuguese, and German. The descendants of the Dutch people who invaded South Africa still today speak a Dutch creole, which is reminiscent of their Dutch ancestry. Why can't the same be said for any of these so-called Edo-clinging groups in Delta state? If these people claim to be from Edo, the Edo language should still be spoken somehow, even if its a corruption of Edo, in Anioma. Yet that is non-existent.

Edo kings may have ruled in some anioma areas, that doesn't negate the fact that these people were and still are an original igbo stock who happened to have a foreign king from the Benin empire.
bigfrancis21:

i neva claimed of an igbo led colonizatn of Aboh. I actually talked about an Esumai(a Bini man) led colonisation of wht is the area now called Aboh which u can see in my link above. This is the known and acceptable history of Aboh. Any other idea, no matter hw intelligent it might seem can only be passed as speculative.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by tonychristopher: 6:53pm On Aug 17, 2013
clefstone: i neva claimed of an igbo led colonizatn of Aboh. I actually talked about an Esumai(a Bini man) led colonisation of wht is the area now called Aboh which u can see in my link above. This is the known and acceptable history of Aboh. Any other idea, no matter hw intelligent it might seem can only be passed as speculative.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 17, 2013
Anytime I come to the culture section and see this thread, something always snaps in me.
When this Clefstone dude started this thread, I ignored it believing it will be ignored, but alas, it's still here!

God know say if to say I be mod for here, I go shut down this goddamned thread.
I don't know for you guys, but this is really embarrassing and shameful.

I think threads of this nature should be totally ignored in the future.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by Abagworo(m): 8:41pm On Aug 17, 2013
What I mean is that you can only be Igbo when you
accept being one. Abohs, Ikas etc. might not accept being Igbo but the language betrays them and is
a deep cause for concern and makes their claim of being
minority suspicious to the real minorities. This leaves
them in a complex situation and could make them deny links to Southeasterners in order to prove to the other
minorities that they are not part of these (Igbo)people.
It's like in the USA where there are fewer Eastern
Europeans who usually try to claim minority even when
Blacks and Hispanics clearly see that they are White.
They will need extra efforts and even aggression to
prove to Blacks and Hispanics that they are not
Westerners but just happened to be White.

Now @poster read this and understand how the real minorities feel about you and your likes trying to cling on to them.

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/essays/politics/
SagayOnDeltaCapital.html

August 1991 when Babangida used the Delta State
Capital to pay his bride price to his Anioma in-laws.
When I was invited to Asaba in May 1999 to give the
hand over lecture from Military dictatorship to Civilian
democratic government, and was asked by the out-going
Military Administrator, Commander Feghabo, what I
thought of the fact that only the southern Delta,
particularly the Urhobos have so far produced civilian
Governors for Delta State, my reply was simple. 'Delta
State' is constituted by two States, Delta proper and
Anioma. As long as the Delta Capital remains in
Anioma,the Governors will come from the real Delta.
Inspite of castigations in the press, by the Asagba of
Asaba, and some other Anioma elites, I have remained
firm in my views. The best solution is for the two entities
to separate into two states with the Delta State Capital
being at Warri. Anioma can then be a state with its
capital at Asaba. Alternatively, Anioma can join Anambra
State and become a member of the South Eastern group
of states to which it truly belongs.

This ends my contribution to this thread. There's nothing a dog can do for cats to believe he's not a dog including eating his fellow dog.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by bigfrancis21: 8:49pm On Aug 17, 2013
clefstone: i neva claimed of an igbo led colonizatn of Aboh. I actually talked about an Esumai(a Bini man) led colonisation of wht is the area now called Aboh which u can see in my link above. This is the known and acceptable history of Aboh. Any other idea, no matter hw intelligent it might seem can only be passed as speculative.

Isn't the below what you claimed?

Now you're beginning to speak the truth. The same Esumai of a person could have been a Bini man sent out by the Oba of Benin to colonize Aboh, which he arrived and met an already Igbo-speaking people in numbers. A people of which he reigned over using the Edo kingship style, and after which he was succeeded by his son, grandson and so on.

Or he could have been an Igbo man who was a resident of Benin.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 10:23pm On Aug 17, 2013
Abagworo: What I mean is that you can only be Igbo when you
accept being one. Abohs, Ikas etc. might not accept being Igbo but the language betrays them and is
them in a complex situation and could make them deny links to Southeasterners in order to prove to the other

Now @poster read this and understand how the real minorities feel about you and your likes trying to cling on to them.

SagayOnDeltaCapital.html

This ends my contribution to this thread. There's nothing a dog can do for cats to believe he's not a dog including eating his fellow dog.
Abagworo: What I mean is that you can only be Igbo when you

SagayOnDeltaCapital.html

I hv neva claimed to be Urhobo or bini. Even though my mum is urhobo, u'l neva hear it coming from me tht i'm Urhobo. My decendants were binis, I am Aboh by tribe and based on d process of ethnogenesis can be grouped as an Ukwuani. Thr is no complexity except in ur imaginatn. That we r in Delta state today is cos of 2 factors,
1. Boundary issue
2. Historically, we hv been more intimately linked with the people around the Niger Delta than those to the east of d Niger
NB. I'm speaking from an Aboh/ukwuani perspective, not from an Anioma's
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 10:24pm On Aug 17, 2013
kwangi: Anytime I come to the culture section and see this thread, something always snaps in me.
When this Clefstone dude started this thread, I ignored it believing it will be ignored, but alas, it's still here!

God know say if to say I be mod for here, I go shut down this goddamned thread.
I don't know for you guys, but this is really embarrassing and shameful.

I think threads of this nature should be totally ignored in the future.
nd if u were president u'd be like Hitler nd kill evrybody like me, abi?
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 10:27pm On Aug 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Now you're beginning to speak the truth. The same Esumai of a person was a Bini King sent out by the Oba of Benin to colonize Aboh, which he arrived and met an already Igbo-speaking people in numbers. A people of which he reigned over using the Edo kingship style, and after which he was succeeded by his son, grandson and so on.
from my analogy, d fulanis like d Abohs conquered, colonized, settled and lost their Fulani dialect while livin with nd ruling d locals
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by clefstone(m): 10:31pm On Aug 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Now you're beginning to speak the truth. The same Esumai of a person was a Bini King sent out by the Oba of Benin to colonize Aboh, which he arrived and met an already Igbo-speaking people in numbers. A people of which he reigned over using the Edo kingship style, and after which he was succeeded by his son, grandson and so on.
and just in case u do not know, Fulanis dialect is totally different from Hausa
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 10:48pm On Aug 17, 2013

Esumai resided in bini, but nothing about him suggests that he was a bini.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 11:17pm On Aug 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

My brother,i tire for the guy. Even in my home town of Ogidi, one of the nine villages that constitute Ogidi town, is known as Aboh-Ogidi.

I guess if there were any place by the name aboh in bini, these people would have fabricated a story linking aboh to that place, their level of inferiority complex stinks. l saw a similar pattern in Ogba kingdom website,where they linked Ogba to a place named Ogba in bini, i guess the Ogba in lagos being a yoruba town, would not serve their purpose.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 11:23pm On Aug 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Don't give him any inch, he would take a mile before you know it. Esumai was not a bini man, he was a bini resident, he was probably an igbo man. I had given my reasons for thinking so. No one has yet established that esumai was a bini man, until they do that, i would still hold to my conclusion.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by pazienza(m): 11:33pm On Aug 17, 2013
clefstone: I hv neva claimed to be Urhobo or bini. Even though my mum is urhobo, u'l neva hear it coming from me tht i'm Urhobo. My decendants were binis, I am Aboh by tribe and based on d process of ethnogenesis can be grouped as an Ukwuani. Thr is no complexity except in ur imaginatn. That we r in Delta state today is cos of 2 factors,
1. Boundary issue
2. Historically, we hv been more intimately linked with the people around the Niger Delta than those to the east of d Niger

Well, don't speak for Aboh, speak for yourself and your Urhobo family, at least now we are getting the truth small small from you. You claimed you are a descendant of Esumai? i laugh in urhobo.

In nairaland here, we have a proud Aboh and Igbo guy,by the name Wesley80, go search for his posts here. And please, don't even speak for Ukwuani, you can't be more ukwuani than Ali chukwuma, arguably the most popular ukwuani man, and yet,he was a proud Igbo man.

Just speak for yourself and your urhobo family. thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by bigfrancis21: 11:51pm On Aug 17, 2013
clefstone: and just in case u do not know, Fulanis dialect is totally different from Hausa

Please, what's the name, tonality and verb form of the so-called original Aboh language? Why don't you have a single Aboh person who speaks the 'original' Aboh language or some form of Edo language? At least, Fulani as a language is still spoken by many Fulanis, in addition to the more pervasive Hausa. Why can't the same be said for Aboh? grin
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by bigfrancis21: 11:53pm On Aug 17, 2013
pazienza:

Well, don't speak for Aboh, speak for yourself and your Urhobo family, at least now we are getting the truth small small from you. You claimed you are a descendant of Esumai? i laugh in urhobo.

In nairaland here, we have a proud Aboh and igbi guy,by the name Wesley80, go search for his posts here. And please, don't even speak for Ukwuanu, you can't be more ukwuani than Ali chukwuma, arguably the most popular ukwuani man, and yet,he was a proud Igbo man.

Just speak for yourself and your urhobo family. thank you.

grin grin. He's just jumping from this to that. Look at the bolded below, he doesn't even know what he's saying! Ochi ekwero m! grin grin

clefstone: I hv neva claimed to be Urhobo or bini. Even though my mum is urhobo, u'l neva hear it coming from me tht i'm Urhobo. My decendants were binis, I am Aboh by tribe and based on d process of ethnogenesis can be grouped as an Ukwuani. Thr is no complexity except in ur imaginatn. That we r in Delta state today is cos of 2 factors,
1. Boundary issue

The statement bolded above totally renders all his previous statements worthless. His reasoning lacks substance, value, rigidity and logic. From his level of reasoning, he's still a teenager, probably a young adult not more than 25.
Re: Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:34am On Aug 18, 2013
clefstone: and just in case u do not know, Fulanis dialect is totally different from Hausa

But fulani is still spoken in northern Nigeria and wherever it isn't spoken there is a good knowledge the language went extinct because of the more popular hausa language. Now,I want you to tell me of any lost dialect in Aboh. By the way we have Aboh village in my town in Idenmili.

Truth is that there was no lost language because there was never a language other than Igbo!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How Children Of The Dead Share Proceed Made From Funeral Ceremonies In Igboland / Emir Of Zazzau, Shehu Idris, Dies At 84 / Question: What Is Igbako In English?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 203
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.