Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,333 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Toilet Roll Or Water? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Toilet Roll Or Water? (1318 Views)

Tissue Paper Or Water: Which Is Better? / Using Tissue Or Water After Toilet, Which Is More Hygienic? / Toilet Roll Or Water (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toilet Roll Or Water? by Remzolution: 2:51pm On Jul 18, 2013
Although this topic has been discussed before, I still feel an unease as I was not satisfied by the arguments.

Toilet paper is a soft tissue paper product primarily used for the cleaning of the anus to remove fecal material after defecation or to remove droplets of urine from the genitals after urination, and acts as a layer of protection for bands during this process.

I've always believed that the best way to clean most objects is warm water and soap; self, dishes, clothes, pretty much everything. Except what is probably thought of as the "dirtiest" thing of all - our butts after we poop. For that, some people rub some water on it and call it a day.

Others have different methods of cleansing after a
bowel movement including a bidet, sponges, towels,
the Japanese toilet (which is kind of a toilet with a
hair dryer), things like the Comfort Wipe, and wet
naps... or a combination thereof, as with dry paper
and wet naps.

For any infectious disease to propagate,
it needs to move from one host to another. There
needs to be a "transit route". Now, aside from some unsanitary sexual practices, it is not really the amount of germs left lying around your bottom after a "half-assed" cleaning session that's directly relevant for your infection risk. Rather, it's
how much you get on your hands and fail to wash
away.

And some culture in Nigeria today still doesn't want anything to do with toilet paper, it's widely known that many in the west use water after defecation. Logically, I can't see how water provides the best option cause it doesn't seem to clean thoroughly given that fecal matter always contains undigested oils and fats which would resist removal via water. In this case paper is more efficient. Cleaning with water also leaves the person's hand with germs since soap was not applied...reminds me of my time at the NYSC Orientation Camp where Corps members opted for a satchet of pure water when responding to the call of nature. It used to sicken me to the point that I could not shook hands with people without thinking of it not to mention sharing a plate of food! My view of this method though subjective, is still behind modern toiletting. Except perhaps, there's a medicinal significance to it!
Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by liloelawwal(m): 3:00pm On Jul 18, 2013
u stil need water for both,wat if in d process of using d tissue d poo touches ur hand.
The best tin is jst to use water n wash ur hands wt detergent afterwards
Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by whiteraven: 4:51pm On Jul 18, 2013
Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by Remzolution: 11:11pm On Jul 18, 2013
Like I said water would have been a better option if properly applied, I mean duely with soap and a good hand wash with disinfectants afterwards. But unfortunately people using this method are oblivious to the health risks that they don't know the amount of germs they carry on their hands which can be transmitted to others by handshakes, food sharing, door handles and etc! So you see why toilet roll has a high demand?
Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by Lilimax(f): 3:35pm On Jul 19, 2013
I prefer to use toilet roll and I must use a reasonable quantity.
I am not too comfortable with using water and I don't know why undecided.

1 Like

Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by Remzolution: 7:09pm On Jul 19, 2013
It counts for the amount of diarrhea cases we still have in the country...! Even in countries like Singapore where some still use water, they don't use their hands, a hose is used 4 dat purpose and some hoses have soft disposable sponges attached to the end which makes it ideal 2me...!
Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by lullly: 7:12am On Jul 20, 2013
It's better to use both, use toilet paper first then water and if you can get hand wash,superb. #datz all#.
Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by Remzolution: 10:50am On Jul 20, 2013
lullly: It's better to use both, use toilet paper first then water and if you can get hand wash,superb. #datz all#.

Well, but don't u think it would be rather too stressing just bcoz u want to clean ur butt?
Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by oyinbogirl(f): 11:05am On Jul 20, 2013
Remzolution: Although this topic has been discussed before, I still feel an unease as I was not satisfied by the arguments.

Toilet paper is a soft tissue paper product primarily used for the cleaning of the anus to remove fecal material after defecation or to remove droplets of urine from the genitals after urination, and acts as a layer of protection for bands during this process.

I've always believed that the best way to clean most objects is warm water and soap; self, dishes, clothes, pretty much everything. Except what is probably thought of as the "dirtiest" thing of all - our butts after we poop. For that, some people rub some water on it and call it a day.

Others have different methods of cleansing after a
bowel movement including a bidet, sponges, towels,
the Japanese toilet (which is kind of a toilet with a
hair dryer), things like the Comfort Wipe, and wet
naps... or a combination thereof, as with dry paper
and wet naps.

For any infectious disease to propagate,
it needs to move from one host to another. There
needs to be a "transit route". Now, aside from some unsanitary sexual practices, it is not really the amount of germs left lying around your bottom after a "half-assed" cleaning session that's directly relevant for your infection risk. Rather, it's
how much you get on your hands and fail to wash
away.

And some culture in Nigeria today still doesn't want anything to do with toilet paper, it's widely known that many in the west use water after defecation. Logically, I can't see how water provides the best option cause it doesn't seem to clean thoroughly given that fecal matter always contains undigested oils and fats which would resist removal via water. In this case paper is more efficient. Cleaning with water also leaves the person's hand with germs since soap was not applied...reminds me of my time at the NYSC Orientation Camp where Corps members opted for a satchet of pure water when responding to the call of nature. It used to sicken me to the point that I could not shook hands with people without thinking of it not to mention sharing a plate of food! My view of this method though subjective, is still behind modern toiletting. Except perhaps, there's a medicinal significance to it!

Have your answer yet?
Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by Remzolution: 12:06pm On Jul 20, 2013
lullly: It's better to use both, use toilet paper first then water and if you can get hand wash,superb. #datz all#.

Well, but don't u think it would be rather too stressing just bcoz u want to clean ur butt?
Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by Remzolution: 9:54pm On Jul 20, 2013
oyinbogirl:

Have your answer yet?

Why don't u tell me?
Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by oyinbogirl(f): 2:41am On Jul 21, 2013
Remzolution:

Why don't u tell me?

not yet you dont, but replies coming in I see cheesy
Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by Remzolution: 1:29pm On Jul 21, 2013
oyinbogirl:

not yet you dont, but replies coming in I see cheesy

Am not getting any conviction just yet...! But I tend 2 stick 2my toilet roll, can't imagine my hand washing my butt with water!
Re: Toilet Roll Or Water? by oyinbogirl(f): 10:58am On Jul 26, 2013
Remzolution:

Am not getting any conviction just yet...! But I tend 2 stick 2my toilet roll, can't imagine my hand washing my butt with water!

good one mate.. do what makes you feel right. Washing while having shower is ok

(1) (Reply)

Beauty Tips- Tips For Better Complexion / How To Sleep Peacefully Like A Newborn Baby. / Doctors And Patients, Share Your Embarrassing Moments At A Clinic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.