Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,271 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:10 AM

An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage (24357 Views)

8-year-old Yemeni Bride Dies From Internal Bleeding On Wedding Night / 11Year Old Yemeni Girl Nada Al-Ahdal Flees Home To Avoid Forced Marriage (VIDEO) / An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by JOYCEOUS(f): 1:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
Sexxymom: Cheiiiiiii, Amadioha, dis is d time u r needed ooo. Sangoooo pls strike yerima's manhood with serious sickness so it will never stand again when he see underage gurl....less i forget, may thunder strike those who are supporting him...... Iseeeeeeee...

ka Chineke meziokwu.
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by igbeke: 1:22pm On Jul 22, 2013
tintingz: I'm a yoruba muslim, he said it right smiley

u wud hav noticed i never used d word 'ALL' but 'MOST'.
It implies dat u and ur likes are in d minority and so not in my conderation.
r u ok wit dat
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by tintingz(m): 1:24pm On Jul 22, 2013
igbeke:
wud u give out ur daughter's (10yrs) hand in marriage at d expense of her education?
wud u hav forgiven ur parents 2day if u were a girl dat was disposed off at 12; hence u cudn't get all d priviledges u r enjoying 2day, eg d use of d internet?
we are in 2013 I will not support nor give my little daughter hands in marriage
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by MiloRambaldi(m): 1:25pm On Jul 22, 2013
tintingz: we are in 2013 I will not support nor give my little daughter hands in marriage
So you support that that law be changed to disallow child brides. Great.
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by igbeke: 1:29pm On Jul 22, 2013
tintingz: we are in 2013 I will not support nor give my little daughter hands in marriage
i kno u wouldn't do dat. so put dos other kids in ur lovely children's shoes. dey deserve d good things of life 2.
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by tintingz(m): 1:37pm On Jul 22, 2013
Archildao:

so was the killing of twins and female genital mutilation a tradition.But it was later put to stop.CHILD MARRIAGE MUST BE PUT TO A STOP TOO!
like have said child marriage is a norm in the past due to some circumstances surrounding that era then... But this is 2013 where education is important to children, child marriage is not needed anymore. But still these little boys and girls ate into se;x they now watch por.n at the age of 12yrs
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by whitecat007: 1:45pm On Jul 22, 2013
The UN/UNICEF should be taken this head on already cry
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by Chimerase(m): 1:47pm On Jul 22, 2013
Muslim has been the greatest problem we hv in dis country, just one HE goat OLD man went and raped a 13 year old gal there by infectin her wit vescovaginal fistula, still came out publicly to defend his diabolical act wit their quaran, even DOG is beta than dis fools practising this religion cus DOG wil allow its pupie to be ready before mating, but this religion bigots lie lie instead going on raping spree angry

1 Like

Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by Orikinla(m): 2:12pm On Jul 22, 2013
I saw I wan marry the girl child in advance before she spoil. grin
Because she is still a virgin unlike majority of girls on Nairaland who cannot inspire prophet Orikinla to see visions. shocked

Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by toprealman: 2:13pm On Jul 22, 2013
Can a woman be allowed to marry an 11 year old boy in line with Yerima and his fellow pedophiles version of Islamic marriage?
How come nothing is being done by women activist?
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by Akeud(m): 2:20pm On Jul 22, 2013
My believe is that, the best thing to do is to maim that he-goat called Yerima. After that, the constitution be reviewed. This time nobody will be bold to support such a menace any more.
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by Damon03(m): 2:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
Akeud: My believe is that, the best thing to do is to maim that he-goat called Yerima. After that, the constitution be reviewed. This time nobody will be bold to support such a menace any more.
Clap for yourself.
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by Evansedos: 2:31pm On Jul 22, 2013
m.esther96:
Jesus wept!
john 11:35
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by Akeud(m): 2:40pm On Jul 22, 2013
Damon03:
Clap for yourself.
Surely, he deserves 6ft below the ground level.
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by BrokenTV: 2:41pm On Jul 22, 2013
Am waiting for APC to blame GEJ on this.
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by biolabee(m): 2:43pm On Jul 22, 2013
Wayo wayo wayo

Evil in high places justified by religion

greatgod2012: Let me narrate this story.....
My mother lived in Sabo area in the town i was before i got married, i saw so many dramas perprtuated by these old mallams who married very young girls. There is a particular one that's so funny.......the man was a very wealthy hausa man who was in his sixties, one day he told my mum that he wanted to travel home to bring in a new wife(he already had 5 wives o), so he left and after about 2 weeks, he came back with a girl that is around 11/12 old, we all saw them when they both arrived and entered their house, but it never occured to us that, that girl is the new bride he had gone to bring, so at dusk, he came to my mum's shop(in front of his house) and my mum asked about the new wife and he said, its the girl he came together with, my mum exclaimed ha! He said why now, that is their practice there,to cut the long story short, when it was evening, we were hearing the little girl shouting "wayoo, wayoo, wayoo" and eventually ran out, the helpless girl ran to my mum's place and my mum asked what went wrong and she admitted that the s...ex was too painful. The Alhaji and his senior wives all came out with touchlight to look for the poor girl, they saw her in my mum's place and my mum begged the man to take it easy with the girl, that he should remember that shes just a little girl. The man was furious and warned my mum never to harbour her again, instead, she should send her back into the house. The funniest part is that, for the first one month of the marriage, the girl usually ran away when its about an hour prior to the time the man will come back from work, the man usually come back from the market around 9p.m,and around 8p.m, the girl would have ran away, its after he comes back that he and the senior wives will be looking for her, and there was one fateful day, that they didnt see this girl until after 3 days,so, by the time she was discovered, the man took the girl back to his state, but i dont know whether the marriage was dissolved or not.

So, all these our peado..phile senators, abeg. Leave these girls alone, help in shaping their future instead of ruining their lives.
These people are even shameless, imagine them inserting their anacondas into those tinny and tight holes of those small girls.
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by Beetle: 3:41pm On Jul 22, 2013
Culled from the Internet

We need to understand the cultural-religious issues first to clear the misperception that child marriage is supposedly sanctioned by Islam.

ISLAM has always been an obvious easy target of misperception, misunderstanding. In a never-ending challenge against it, another opportunity for Islamophobes around the globe to maim the religion lurks wide open yet again when the issue of child marriage resurfaced recently.

They claim that child marriage is sanctioned, and thus common in the teachings of Islam. The practice takes place every day in the Muslim world to innocent girls as young as six, making it shockingly widespread.

Moreover, statistics of cases – though questionable – of different Muslim countries proving the prevalent rampage are cited.

Quoting a report by the United Nations, the Islamophobes reveal that “one out nine girls in developing countries will be married by age 15, and an estimated 14.2 million girls a year will become child brides by 2020, if nothing changes”. Are Muslim men to be entirely blamed for their seemingly lack of restraint?

The reality is that child marriage happens all over the world, regardless of religions or civilisations. But it appears that Islam suffers by far the most severe beatings compared to other faiths and cultures.

For the sake of argumentation, why does such a phenomenon befall the Muslim community? The answer is perhaps more cultural than religious. Culture, more than anything else, may have the upper hand.

Because many of these communities are found in countries deprived of progress and cultural practices are steep, hence, culture plays a huge role in their lives more than religion. Any law, be it sacred or profane, is indispensable of culture, and cannot completely escape from cultural influences, good or evil.

It is true that Islam has spread to countless nations, bringing along with it the progressive law (Syariah), but often times, people and cultures in these places are still feudal, semi-feudal or even tribal in character.

We may infer that child marriage perhaps originated from this feudalistic or tribal life of certain people before the society embraced Islam.

Thus, it is simply cultural in nature as the practice was not only common to the Arabs, for example, but to other races as well.

This tribal custom plays a role, for instance, in the belief that a young bride can be moulded into a good filial obedient wife and give birth to more offspring.

With the coming of Islam, these people had the “perfect” justifica­-tion to legitimise their “lifestyle”. To a certain extent, even religious leaders could not avoid from being influenced by their culture and cultural inclinations.

There is hardly anything Islamic about child marriage. One may argue that the practice is even unislamic as it runs counter to the true spirit of Islam. Marriage is a contract and the Quran in Surah al-Nisa’, 4:21 prescribes the institution as a “strong solemn covenant” (mithaqan ghaliza).

Underage girls, say at the age of nine, cannot enter into such a covenant as it is too strong a contract. A minor has neither the ability nor capacity to understand what a covenant means and implies.

In addition, in any given family life, both husband and wife may and can stipulate conditions. If either party fails to keep good their agreements, the marriage may collapse. In this sense, a child cannot stipulate conditions.

Marriage is a partnership for life. We cannot expect a child to have the necessary experience or intellectual acumen to rightly choose her breadwinner. Thus, from this perspective, child marriages can neither be considered Quranic nor Islamic.

The perceived dominant practice of child marriage in Muslim regions, or even the non-Muslim territories for that matter, may also be linked to economic reasons, and nothing strictly religious.

We have heard of cases whereby young girls were married off to ol­­-der spouses in an understanding between two men to wed each other’s sisters to escape paying expensive dowry (mahr); to settle personal and family debts; and the inability of poor families to reject certain interesting amount of monies offered for their daughters.

Therefore, gripping poverty and other pressing economic factors hinder effective initiatives being taken to reduce let alone eliminate child marriages.

While the Islamophobes attempt to ridicule the so-called child marriage in Islam by referring to the hadith of Prophet Muhammad tying the knot with Aishah purportedly at the age of seven and consummated the marriage when she was nine, the conservative Islamists, on the other hand, are using the same tradition to justify their stand in allowing the same.

Both camps are, in fact, mistaken. One argues that the hadith appears much later after the demise of the Prophet. In-depth studies by reliable scholars clearly expose the fact that Aishah was not less than 17 years old at the time of the marriage, and consummated it at about 20. So, Aishah was not below the age of puberty when consenting to the marriage.

In Islam, this is the true position of a girl achieving puberty or the age of proper understanding when it comes to marriage. The religion basically prescribes that a child ceases to be a minor upon her first menstruation, regardless of age.

Once approached with a marriage proposal, she has the option to accept or reject it. Her consent is a necessary prerequisite for a valid marital contract. Her guardian enjoys no liberty to force her to accept any proposal if she is unwilling.

It means that in a pre-arranged marriage, it may be annulled if the girl so wishes.

Imam Abu Hanifah holds that the guardian does not have an absolute

authority to give away the child in marriage. In fact, all Sunni schools of thought are unanimous that forced marriages are strictly forbidden. The reason being Islamic marriages are primarily contracts between two consenting parties referred to as ‘mithaq.’

The preceding discussion attempts to explain that, as aptly put by al-Azhar al-Sharif, the highest religious body in the Sunni world, “Marriage in Islam is regulated by certain rules, namely, children must reach puberty and maturity so that they can get married.” Here, no specific age limits have been fixed by Islam.

If there is any problem with the marriage, it is not because of Islam per se, but we must examine other surrounding factors as well. Religion should prevail over culture and not vice versa. Most of the times, domestic violence and abuse cannot be associated with or attributed to religion.

This explains why most Muslim lands have now statutorily prescribed 18 as the age of marriage for bridegroom while 16 for his counterpart. And in our case, for example, the Islamic Family Law (Federal Territories) Act 1984 states that should the age go lower than the minimum limit aforementioned, a written permission must be obtained from the Syariah Court, in certain circumstances.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Opinion/Columnists/IKIM-Views/Profile/Articles/2013/06/04/Child-marriage-in-Islam-a-myth.aspx

1 Like

Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by MiloRambaldi(m): 4:27pm On Jul 22, 2013
kolanpas: am christain my postors are busy raping minors but i condem muslim wanting to marry her if she will to b married.As for islam on marriage, islam did not put any age for marriage,it is only when 3 condition are met b4 she can marry: 1)she must be emotionally ok i.e she must to tell whom she love and whom she does not love which means husband should nt b force on her 2) she must have what u can c in girl to call her lady eg breast fully grown e.t.c 3)she must be interllectual i.e she can different right frm wrong

Seems there's no Islamic/Quranic basis for your 3 conditions. Do these conditions really exist in Islam or you just created them?
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by beautyng(f): 4:57pm On Jul 22, 2013
Child marriage is sin against humanity bfore we talk about GOD
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by JaaizTech: 5:19pm On Jul 22, 2013
As Southerners we tend to view early marriage in a horrifying manner, because perhaps it is strange, to our culture. However, for us whom live in the north and see it being practised know that it isn't horrendous as it is being painted, there are instances where the culture is abused to the detriment of the girl child but this does not imply that is always the case.
My neighbour married his wife at 15, she has 3 kids now and she is currently in school for her NCE. Aliyu my other neighbour likely married his wife around that age too, they have one boy and she is also in school studying to become a nurse. Getting married early, doesn't imply abuse, some husbands do take care of their wives even better than their parents!; we should take note that the Hausa 13 year old is far much prepared for marriage than our own 18 year old. That a culture contradicts western ideals doesn't make it inferior. Many of those screaming against this do not really give a damn about those Hausa girls, for them it just an opportunity to insult Islam, that is what they are excited about.
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by JaaizTech: 5:41pm On Jul 22, 2013
MiloRambaldi:

Seems there's no Islamic/Quranic basis for your 3 conditions. Do these conditions really exist in Islam or you just created them?
Check out islamqa.com, just Google underage marriage including islamqa as keyword. you will find your answers there, if you truly you are seeking an answer.
Islam permits early marriage and in fact encourages early marriage, By marriage I mean marriage soon after puberty, also Islam considers the physical and general well-being of the girl before marriage can be consummated. These are the Islamic point of view, they apply to Muslims and Muslims only, you may not like it, but we are satisfied with the guidance ofAllah. Islam did not bring early marriage, early marriage was the common practice either at the time of the prophet or before his time, Islam has only come to encourage early marriage as a means of preventing the girl child from falling into the evil of fornication. The same applies to a boy, Men are advised to marry as soon as they have their means to and have attained the age of puberty.
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by armadeo(m): 5:54pm On Jul 22, 2013
kolanpas: u dont encourage child marriage but u encourage child having boy friend with illicit sex.mayb u guys dont know how girls are developing in this generatn.mayb u should check d develop country permited age for marriage.let me ask u what can u c in girl b4 u can say she is ripe 4 marriage.

So because small girl dey nack small boy that give u old man reason to wan nack small girl. Ode. Oloshi. Paedophile. Sango blast u back to the stone ages.

1 Like

Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by benedicta0(f): 6:02pm On Jul 22, 2013
kolanpas: u dont encourage child marriage but u encourage child having boy friend with illicit sex.mayb u guys dont know how girls are developing in this generatn.mayb u should check d develop country permited age for marriage.let me ask u what can u c in girl b4 u can say she is ripe 4 marriage.
nobody is encouraging a child to have illicit sex. Beside u can't pay evil with evil and that dose not give u the right to marry them off to some oldmen because they are doing the wrong thing.If U want to know when a girl is ripe for marriage place a 24yrs old and a 12yrs old together and interview them.Pls support the right thing because u will have female children in future. Children are mearnt to be protected from the ills in the society not disposing them into marriage

1 Like

Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by mamamama2(f): 6:59pm On Jul 22, 2013
All these reminds me of one very sad story I read in d papers some time ago. It was maybe in d late 80s or early 90s, can't remember when. It happened in d north. A certain man in his late 60s or there abt, was given a little girl in marriage. D girl was brought 2 her husband. When it was time to sleep 2gether d girl ran out of d house to her father's house. Her father took her back to d old man's house, sayin dat is her new house now.
These girl ran to her father's house on three separate occasions to avoid d old man's sexual advances. D father keeps bringin her back 2 d old man's house. After d third time, d old man did the unthinkable: he took a cutlass and cut off d girls legs, sayin if she has no legs she will not be able to keep runnin. This little girl bled to death.....
I wish someone will remember this story and rebroadcast it. Many people don't even know a lot of d horror stories that take place. What will help dis cause more, is when people are made more aware of d stories dat actually happens. God help us
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by oloriooko(m): 7:50pm On Jul 22, 2013
[size=28pt]WHY DID THIS MODERATOR HIDE MY POST THOUGH SOMEONE PROVIDED AN ANSWER TO IT?[/size]
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 22, 2013
God will punish any man dat want 2 marry my little broda's future wife or wives.
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by kabaka1: 12:07am On Jul 23, 2013
Dreal1247: YERIMA SHOULD BE ARRESTED.smiley LIKE if u ar in support. This calls for public protest. PEOPLE LIKE YERIMA SHOULD NOT BE IN THE UPPER AND LOWER HOUSES OF THIS COUNTRY. :-):-):-):-):-)

I fully agree with u. If Naija wants be a progressive nation, a character like yerima who is senator, should long been relinquished of his position as a senator and most likely be arrested and tried 4 child molestation n abuse.

1 Like

Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by MiloRambaldi(m): 9:05am On Jul 23, 2013
JaaizTech:
Check out islamqa.com, just Google underage marriage including islamqa as keyword. you will find your answers there, if you truly you are seeking an answer.
Islam permits early marriage and in fact encourages early marriage, By marriage I mean marriage soon after puberty, also Islam considers the physical and general well-being of the girl before marriage can be consummated. These are the Islamic point of view, they apply to Muslims and Muslims only, you may not like it, but we are satisfied with the guidance ofAllah. Islam did not bring early marriage, early marriage was the common practice either at the time of the prophet or before his time, Islam has only come to encourage early marriage as a means of preventing the girl child from falling into the evil of fornication. The same applies to a boy, Men are advised to marry as soon as they have their means to and have attained the age of puberty.

I've looked it up on islamqa.com as you advised and it appears you may be in the wrong in your assumption about Islam permitting early marriaiage only after Puberty - "By marriage I mean marriage soon after puberty".

See this link --> http://www.islamqa.com/en/178318 . Some excerpts below:

"It is permissible for a man to arrange a marriage for his young son even if he has not reached puberty; it is also permissible for him to arrange a marriage for his young daughter even if she had not reached the age of puberty. It was narrated that there was consensus on this point, but that is provided that compatibility is taken into account and that a clear and real interest is served by this marriage.

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

The scholars are unanimously agreed that the father may arrange a marriage for his young daughter without consulting her. The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) married ‘Aa’ishah when she was six years old."

Different view are expressed, but generally Child Marriage (including marriage of minors below 9 years) is permitted in Islam.

Another link --> http://www.islamqa.com/en/12708 , excerpt:

"Marriage to a young girl before she reaches puberty is permissible according to sharee’ah, and it was narrated that there was scholarly consensus on this point.

1 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the ‘Iddah (prescribed period), if you have doubt (about their periods), is three months; and for those who have no courses [(i.e. they are still immature) their ‘Iddah (prescribed period) is three months likewise”

[al-Talaaq 65:4]

In this verse we see that Allaah states that for those who do not menstruate – because they are young and have not yet reached the age of puberty – the ‘iddah in the case of divorce is three months. This clearly indicates that it is permissible for a young girl who has not started her periods to marry. "
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by deelobe: 1:00pm On Jul 23, 2013
some people are completely sick. they need to take them to Aro or Yaba. such innocence. may God punish these people >:
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 23, 2013
The imagery of a dirty old bearded man mounting a child sends shivers down my whole body!am feeling faint.....sick!
Re: An 11-year-old Yemeni Girl On Child Marriage by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 23, 2013
MiloRambaldi:

I've looked it up on islamqa.com as you advised and it appears you may be in the wrong in your assumption about Islam permitting early marriaiage only after Puberty - "By marriage I mean marriage soon after puberty".

See this link --> http://www.islamqa.com/en/178318 . Some excerpts below:

"It is permissible for a man to arrange a marriage for his young son even if he has not reached puberty; it is also permissible for him to arrange a marriage for his young daughter even if she had not reached the age of puberty. It was narrated that there was consensus on this point, but that is provided that compatibility is taken into account and that a clear and real interest is served by this marriage.

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

The scholars are unanimously agreed that the father may arrange a marriage for his young daughter without consulting her. The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) married ‘Aa’ishah when she was six years old."

Different view are expressed, but generally Child Marriage (including marriage of minors below 9 years) is permitted in Islam.

Another link --> http://www.islamqa.com/en/12708 , excerpt:

"Marriage to a young girl before she reaches puberty is permissible according to sharee’ah, and it was narrated that there was scholarly consensus on this point.

1 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the ‘Iddah (prescribed period), if you have doubt (about their periods), is three months; and for those who have no courses [(i.e. they are still immature) their ‘Iddah (prescribed period) is three months likewise”

[al-Talaaq 65:4]

In this verse we see that Allaah states that for those who do not menstruate – because they are young and have not yet reached the age of puberty – the ‘iddah in the case of divorce is three months. This clearly indicates that it is permissible for a young girl who has not started her periods to marry. "

MOO-SLIMES......THEY LOVE THEN YOUNG AND TIGHT......RELIGION OF PISS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hamas Terrorists Interrogation Video / Nicaragua Seizes Former Taiwan Embassy To Give It To China / Wounded Cameroonian Soldiers Being Treated After Gun Battle With Boko Haram.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.