Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi (2160 Views)

Super Powers Backing Boko Haram –sheikh Abubakar Gumi / Sheikh Abubakar Shekau Dead? / Imam (Sheikh Abubakar Jibrin) Arrested For Defacing Jonathan's Poster. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by sambas: 11:23am On Jul 22, 2013
Respected Kaduna based Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Abubakar Gumi, has joined the fray on the issue of child bride by saying that women can deliver children at 12 safely and thus there isnt such a big deal with early marriage. Gumi made the revelation on his Facebook page.

as usual, NaijaPundit brings you the statement below;

WHO DETERMINES THE MARRIAGE AGE LIMIT?

Definitely it will not be a bunch of liberal senators in a country majority of its citizen are Muslims. Marriage is a sacrosanct religious contract. The secular constitution has already given, two consensual adults (biological) the consent to engage in sexual intercourse, so what is all this encroachment on religious sensitivities of people. It is truly mischievous.

On religious issues that are liable to different interpretation, Islam has accepted that only a medically scientific reason can alter a decision.

Medically, from the age of 12, some girls can be mothers. They can bear children and deliver them safely. Now in the west, despite the laws against underage marriage (less than 18), thousands of hundreds still gets pregnant out of illegal sexual activities. Islam as pragmatic Religion thus permit any individual, matured to engage in legal marriage to embrace all categories of human desires and protect teenagers from irresponsible pregnancy. A married pregnant teen is absolutely in safer socio-economic state of affairs than one in an illegitimate teen pregnancy.

“About 93,000 teenagers, 8,000 of them under the age of 16, become pregnant in Britain each year. Just over half the pregnancies of those under 16 end in abortion. In the West, only Canada, New Zealand and the United States have higher rates.” The Prime Minister Tony Blair on learning that two other 12- year-olds were pregnant by their teen-age boyfriends had to call for a "new national moral purpose" and in June 2000, the government announced a $96 million plan aimed at cutting in half the number of teen pregnancies. The government also plans a major overhaul of sex education and contraceptive services, which will be publicized more openly and made more accessible”. [CNN oct11,99.]

May Allah protect us all from the Dajjal of this era.
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by greatgod2012(f): 11:36am On Jul 22, 2013
12 years girl
What is this one saying

And whe she has VVF related-problems, she will be abandoned and another one will be married.
Old foooools.
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Ngwakwe: 11:43am On Jul 22, 2013
Can somebody help us interpret the sentence in the quote

May Allah protect us all from the
Dajjal of this era.
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Arosa(m): 11:54am On Jul 22, 2013
God punish devil. na so them take de damage their women toto, incontinence tinz.
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Ogbonaikenna(m): 11:56am On Jul 22, 2013
Oh shittt! How did biafrans get into this marriage with these people? My "undecided" biafrans, you see why we can't live as one with the northerners? Please listen to radio biafra everyday from 7pm london time via www.radiobiafra.co. lets chat the way out of this marriage. Thanks

1 Like

Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by naptu2: 12:02pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ngwakwe: Can somebody help us interpret the sentence in the quote

Dajjal = false messiah (kind of how christians would say "anti-christ" )
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by eagleeye2: 12:42pm On Jul 22, 2013
These guys are simply heartless. But come to think of it, Why is the Dame, Okonjo-Iweala, Abike Dabiri,Remi Tinubu, Senator Anyanwu, Senator Okadigbo and other prominent women not saying anything about these.
Shame on our Women Leaders. If it is to clamour for Feminism, we will see them.why won't Wole call them "mere domestic appendages

1 Like

Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ogbonaikenna: Oh shittt! How did biafrans get into this marriage with these people? My "undecided" biafrans, you see why we can't live as one with the northerners? Please listen to radio biafra everyday from 7pm london time via www.radiobiafra.co. lets chat the way out of this marriage. Thanks

My brother, it was Zik ooooo!
Zik and his "one Nigeria" delusion brought us together with these primitive men.
The more they vomit poo in the name of speaking, the more I get more hungry for Biafra!

We don't belong to the same country with these fellows.
For those undecided Biafran, the bird carried by okpoko must be a deaf bird!!!

2 Likes

Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by deols(f): 12:59pm On Jul 22, 2013
Well, there are risks associated with early pregnancy. Sheikh Gumi is advised to make proper consultations before making statements like this.

Maybe not all 12 y.olds get VVF but many do.

Comparing Nigeria with Britain is a No No. In Nigeria maternal mortality in women with less risk is high.That of teenage motherhood is even higher.
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by IGBOSON1: 1:08pm On Jul 22, 2013
noblezone:

Zik and his "one Nigeria" delusion brought us together with these primitive men.
The more they vomit poo in the name of speaking, the more I get more hungry for Biafra!

^^^Sometimes when i sit and ponder on our fortunes as a people, i get so angry with Uncle Nnamdi and all the other 'one Nigeria' fantasists......coupled with those that had the opportunity to do something about it but didn't!

@Post: If he's saying a child is ready to have another child at 12, it presupposes that the child started getting fuc/ked at age 11!.....and they reckon this is ok? undecided

2 Likes

Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by malele(m): 1:08pm On Jul 22, 2013
Confirmed 90% of hausa people has cow brain

1 Like

Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by naptu2: 3:07pm On Jul 22, 2013
A different opinion.

Muslims Reject Child Marriage And Absolve Islam Of The Blame Based On Facts
https://www.nairaland.com/1366430/muslims-reject-child-marriage-absolve#16919738

1 Like

Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Tolexander: 3:20pm On Jul 22, 2013
Does this man mean 12year old female human being or 12year old female cow(heifer)?

1 Like

Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Chinwem(f): 3:28pm On Jul 22, 2013
He is calling a 12 year old a woman
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by mistayeancah(m): 3:52pm On Jul 22, 2013
Chinwem: He is calling a 12 year old a woman

I don't think he knows what he's saying!!! FUNNY people!
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jul 22, 2013
noblezone:

Zik had a mistaken belief on One Nigeria but i still dont think the ultimate power lies in his hand.
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by baby124: 5:52pm On Jul 22, 2013
12 year old child. Not woman. They try to demystify the fact that they are children to make it right. Bloody sick bast*ards. I pity these people's girl children. These people should face sharia law of castration. undecided undecided
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 22, 2013
A view from Yemen.

Child bride, 12, dies in Yemen after struggling to give birth for THREE days

A 12-year-old Yemeni child bride died after struggling to give birth for three days, a local human rights organisation said.

Fawziya Abdullah Youssef died of severe bleeding on Friday while giving birth to a stillborn in the al-Zahra district hospital of Hodeida province, 140 miles west of the capital Sanaa.

Child marriages are widespread in Yemen, the Arab world's poorest country which has a population of 23million, where tribal customs dominate society.

More than a quarter of the country's females marry before age 15, according to a recent report by the Social Affairs Ministry.

The issue of child brides came to prominence in the country two years ago when ten-year-old Nujood Ali (pictured) went by herself to a courtroom and demanded a judge dissolve her marriage to a man in his 30s

The issue of child brides came to prominence in the country two years ago when ten-year-old Nujood Ali (pictured) went by herself to a courtroom and demanded a judge dissolve her marriage to a man in his 30s

Youssef was only 11 when her father married her to a 24-year-old man who works as a farmer in Saudi Arabia, said Ahmed al-Quraishi, chairman of Siyaj human rights organization.

Al-Quraishi, whose group promotes child rights in Yemen, said that he stumbled upon Youssef in the hospital while investigating cases of children who had fled from the fighting in the north.

'This is one of many cases that exist in Yemen,' said al-Quraishi.

'The reason behind it is the lack of education and awareness, forcing many girls into marriage in this very early age.'

Impoverished parents in Yemen sometimes give away their young daughters in return for hefty dowries.

There is also a long-standing tribal custom in which infant daughters and sons are promised to cousins in hopes it will protect them from illicit relationships.

Al-Quraishi said there are no statistics to show how many marriages involving children are performed every year.

The issue of child brides vaulted into the headlines here two years ago when Nujood Ali, aged ten, went by herself to a courtroom and demanded a judge dissolve her marriage to a man in his 30s.

She eventually won a divorce, and legislators began looking at ways to curb the practice.

In February, parliament passed a law setting the minimum marriage age at 17. But some lawmakers are trying to kill the measure, calling it un-Islamic.

Before it could be ratified by Yemen's president, they forced it to be sent back to parliament's constitutional committee for review.

Such marriages also occur in neighboring oil-rich Saudi Arabia, where several cases of child brides have been reported in the past year, though the phenomenon is not believed to be nearly as widespread as in Yemen.

Source
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by baby124: 6:01pm On Jul 22, 2013
In February, parliament passed a law setting the minimum marriage age at 17. But some lawmakers are trying to kill the measure, calling it un-Islamic.

Where is Lagos Shia lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by naptu2: 6:18pm On Jul 22, 2013
naptu2: Since 1999 section 29 of the constitution has stated this (I've also included subsection 4)

29. (1) Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.

(4) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.

(a) "full age" means the age of eighteen years and above;

(b) any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.

The constitution is currently being amended and rights groups have called for the deletion of subsection 4b.

You need 2/3rds majority of votes in the senate, house of representatives and 2/3rds of all the state houses of assembly in order to amend the constitution.

2/3rds of the senators present at that time = 73 votes. The senate voted and more than 73 senators voted that 4b should be deleted. The senate moved on to other clauses.

A while later, Senator Yerima raised a point of order that subsection 4b cannot be deleted because deleting it is against islamic law. He stated that in islam, a woman is deemed to be of full age once she has gotten married. The Senate President, David Mark, reminded Yerima that the Senate has a tradition that it does not re-visit a clause once it has been voted on, but Senator Yerima continued to protest.

Eventually the Senate President agreed to hold a second vote. This time 60 senators voted that the subsection should be removed, while 35 voted that it should not be removed. They couldn't get 2/3rds majority.

Section 4b stands.

I wonder why Mark agreed to hold a second vote.
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2013
Now I'm beginning to understand why we have high maternal mortality rates in Nigeria.
I actually blame the Northern ladies, how the heck can they keep mum all these years?
It has been proven time and time again women have to liberate themselves, don't think men would ever free you when they are the ones enjoying your sufferings. wink
Don't know why I'm having HBP over this nonsense fracas after promising myself I would never put energies to the North when in 2009 or so the news broke about Yerima's child bride and Northern women had the guts to conduct a rally in support of Yerima. To hell with all of you women that sell your kids out to pedophilic monsters. Shame on you and every thing you represent!!!

2 Likes

Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 22, 2013
12 year old "women". I can only shake my head.

Where was he when the chairman of NPC said that the leading cause of death in teenagers is complications from pregnancy/birth?
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Ngwakwe: 6:43pm On Jul 22, 2013
Thank you very much. I have no comment on what I know nothing about.

naptu2:

Dajjal = false messiah (kind of how christians would say "anti-christ" )
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by greatgod2012(f): 6:51pm On Jul 22, 2013
What amazes/surprises me most in this article/write-up is this man calling a 12 years old girl a "woman". So, a 24 years old lady will be referred to as a grandma.
SMH.

Awon agbaaya jatijati!!!
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 22, 2013
That's the first thing that struck me as well. A female 12 year old isn't even a teenager, talkless of a woman.
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by greatgod2012(f): 6:53pm On Jul 22, 2013
ogugua88: 12 year old "women". I can only shake my head.

Where was he when the chairman of NPC said that the leading cause of death in teenagers is complications from pregnancy/birth?

he was busy knacking his 12 years old "woman" wife.

Old foooool!
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by gramci: 7:31pm On Jul 22, 2013
Only God knows how many infants this wild hug has defiled
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by drnoel: 7:39pm On Jul 22, 2013
sambas: Respected Kaduna based Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Abubakar Gumi, has joined the fray on the issue of child bride by saying that women can deliver children at 12 safely and thus there isnt such a big deal with early marriage. Gumi made the revelation on his Facebook page.

as usual, NaijaPundit brings you the statement below;

WHO DETERMINES THE MARRIAGE AGE LIMIT?

Definitely it will not be a bunch of liberal senators in a country majority of its citizen are Muslims. Marriage is a sacrosanct religious contract. The secular constitution has already given, two consensual adults (biological) the consent to engage in sexual intercourse, so what is all this encroachment on religious sensitivities of people. It is truly mischievous.

On religious issues that are liable to different interpretation, Islam has accepted that only a medically scientific reason can alter a decision.

Medically, from the age of 12, some girls can be mothers. They can bear children and deliver them safely. Now in the west, despite the laws against underage marriage (less than 18), thousands of hundreds still gets pregnant out of illegal sexual activities. Islam as pragmatic Religion thus permit any individual, matured to engage in legal marriage to embrace all categories of human desires and protect teenagers from irresponsible pregnancy. A married pregnant teen is absolutely in safer socio-economic state of affairs than one in an illegitimate teen pregnancy.

“About 93,000 teenagers, 8,000 of them under the age of 16, become pregnant in Britain each year. Just over half the pregnancies of those under 16 end in abortion. In the West, only Canada, New Zealand and the United States have higher rates.” The Prime Minister Tony Blair on learning that two other 12- year-olds were pregnant by their teen-age boyfriends had to call for a "new national moral purpose" and in June 2000, the government announced a $96 million plan aimed at cutting in half the number of teen pregnancies. The government also plans a major overhaul of sex education and contraceptive services, which will be publicized more openly and made more accessible”. [CNN oct11,99.]

May Allah protect us all from the Dajjal of this era.
pls give us the source so we can go and comment on his fb page...
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by ektbear: 7:50pm On Jul 22, 2013
Na wa o

they want to turn the country into Afghanistan?

12 year old female is not even a woman. Someone getting pregnant at that age reflects poorly on her parents and society.
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by brownlord: 8:17pm On Jul 22, 2013
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by austinkenneth: 8:35pm On Jul 22, 2013
GEJ is responsible for all the past and present underaged marriages in Nigeria.

Infacr it is not just him. Patience is also responsible.
Re: 12 Year Women Can Give Birth Safely-sheikh Abubakar Gumi by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 22, 2013
Honestly i couldn't understand why the Igbos wanted their own country(Biafra)..but now it makes perfect sense....human

being can not cohabitate with wild animals.....these northern people are becoming a nuisance....its irritating me

(1) (2) (Reply)

Explain Asari Dokubo’s Role In $9.3m Cash-for-arms Scandal, APC Tells FG / Reactions On Fayose Advert On Punch Fayose Under Attack For Advert About Buhari / Watch Live GEJ Crusade In Port Harcourt On Ait

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.