Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) (26473 Views)

No Child Marriage. / Lesson On Child Training And Character Development / updated: Dem Don Call Police for me O, False alarm on child Abuse. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by Caseless: 2:51pm On Jul 23, 2013
Superego:

Thanks.

He/she obviously did not follow the trend of discussion.
if u notice the first 3-4 comments on this thread, u wll be forced to believe that the "poor reading culture" nomenclature tagged on most nigerians has gotten to a crescendo. The ratio of intellectuals to numskull in nigeria or on nairaland is very high, so dont waste ur time xplaining anything. If u look at it very wel, everything is clearly outlined in the article, but most of them cudnt comprehend becos they have allowed sentiment to take control of them....since islam seems to be winning here.

1 Like

Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by Dovahkiin(m): 2:53pm On Jul 23, 2013
Superego:
You will not believe the list of westerners that demanded his release, including CNN, France government, French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner wished him freedom, with hundreds of Hollywood celebrities like Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, John Landis, Harvey Weinstein and even females like Monica Bellucci, Asia Argento, Debra Winger and Whoopi Goldberg defending him?

These are the crazy Caucasians who make all the laws we follow.

He was arrested , thats how the crazy caucasian law treats pedophiles , even yerima here has his supporters , hes still a sick Bleep
Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by Matthewbriggs(m): 2:57pm On Jul 23, 2013
@op if you need reasons to support evil you will surely find plenty.
Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by BlueMurder(m): 3:39pm On Jul 23, 2013
Another intense, thought-provoking article on this hotly debated issue. The rejoinder to Mrs Uwais's brilliant piece is also immensely illuminating. May Allah reward you both for your efforts. I think what all this has thrown up, is that knee-jerk reactions to weighty issues such as this, are shallow at best. We all need to cultivate the habit of reading widely and making informed judgments based on critical analytical reasoning.
Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by Dovahkiin(m): 4:11pm On Jul 23, 2013
BlueMurder: Another intense, thought-provoking article on this hotly debated issue. The rejoinder to Mrs Uwais's brilliant piece is also immensely illuminating. May Allah reward you both for your efforts. I think what all this has thrown up, is that knee-jerk reactions to weighty issues such as this, are shallow at best. We all need to cultivate the habit of reading widely and making informed judgments based on critical analytical reasoning.

"intense" "thought provoking" "immensely illuminating" , whatever helps u sleep at night bro grin
Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by Deschil: 6:57pm On Jul 23, 2013
I would not dignify your reasoning with any more comments.
Superego:

Thanks.

He/she obviously did not follow the trend of discussion.
Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by Brite02(m): 7:36pm On Jul 23, 2013
Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by Omotolaaraujo(f): 9:59pm On Jul 23, 2013
Did you see the picture of that nasty old man hanging on the child? I'd kill that guy myself.
Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by drstone1: 10:54pm On Jul 23, 2013
Iaz93: another long shiit!
Back in those medieval and stone ages a boy of 15 is fit to be husband...even at 18 my illiterate mates in d village were already married . . Howeva In present day reality those old measures of standards are un acceptable. It will surely boomerang! Because when such a law is inplace Ppl r known not to confine themselves always to d bounds of d law, they wud seek to strecth it especially when necessity is involved.
This writer is d type who seeks to justify notions that r not only mundane but outrageous to all decent sensibilities. .this writer makes me think some human beings actually prefer slavery in all it forms.

1 Like

Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by drstone1: 11:05pm On Jul 23, 2013
This expose makes me see clearly why ALL woman kind is considered as property. Some kind of slave and mere appendage to men in soceity. I actually Pity all those ladies who think they have some kind of equality with men because they have some education or earning power. I think its time to put you aLL where yu belong whether yu be a banker,public official, actress n this reminds me, where is TONto Dikeh? Time is fast running out on U and ur wanna-be's.
Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by jbanj4(m): 9:58am On Jul 24, 2013
JaaizTech:
OK, now it is about the age of the man she's getting married to Colomentalism at it's highest order, now simply because America has cropped up, you can now accept early marriage as long as the bridegroom is of close age!!!, infact let me say as long as it is in the American way. Before no reasoning or argument made sense, until America came up, infact the day America comes out and says marriage is a violation of the fundamental human right of a lady, many of you here, will be justifying it.

How many people have you seen in America marrying at that age? They did that out of genuine reasons, we are doing our because of religion, while they forgot that Nigeria is not an Islam country. Give your daughter to a 50yr old man, then we'll know that you are serious. *drops mic*
Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by Superego: 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2013
http://saharareporters.com/article/final-word-femi-fani-kayode-and-others-child-marriage

A Final Word To Femi Fani-Kayode And Others On Child Marriage

Posted: July 28, 2013 - 13:43
By Peregrino Brimah

If you tell a lie one hundred times, it does not become a truth, all it becomes is a lie told a hundred times. As Mahatma Gandhi said: An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

Did you just wake up? Did you never before know of these provisions in the constitution and occurrences across Nigeria since forever?

No, not what you said Femi, nor what much of the junk media propagated, the senate did not pass any child marriage bill on July 16th.

Again, not the calumniation you proliferate, the senate did not approve child marriage by failing to delete Section 29 (4)(b), they only retained as ingrained in the constitution, a married young woman's right to renounce her citizenship for purposes which include but are not limited to asylum seeking and foreign spouse related travel.

Again, no, Femi Fani-Kayode, there is no Muslim law that permits sex with children.

Emphasis: Islam is vehemently against sex with children and Islam does not permit pedophilia.

Education and Information: Sex with anyone who is post-pubertal is not pedophilia. Pedophilia is defined as: A person who has a sustained sexual orientation toward pre-pubertal children.

Fact on culture: 78% of marriages in north Nigeria are to women below the age of 18. (Most wise people know that protests and threats never change culture or religion.)
Fact on culture: 70% of marriages in Mali are to women below the age of 18. (And Mali does not have Nigeria's peculiar VVF explosive crises)

Fact: The age of marriage in south Nigeria is generally set at 16.

Fact: The age of marriage for girls in the Vatican is set at 14 as per the code of canon law.

Facts: In the US, the age of marriage in New York is 14, New Hampshire is 13, North Carolina is 14, Rhode Island has no minimum age, Tennessee has no minimum age, Washington state has no minimum and Pennsylvania has no minimum age.

Facts: Minimum age of marriage in Spain is 14 (2013 now 16), Greece 16, Albania, 16, Austria 16, Denmark 15, Georgia 15, Lithuania 15, Poland, 16, Romania 16, England and Wales 16, Sweden 15, Canada 15, Slovenia 15, Ireland and Iceland - none, Serbia 16, Slovenia 15.

Fact: USA refused to sign the UN declaration of the rights of a child.

Fact: Old age also is a great risk of fistula; and the total prevalence of fistulae is 188 per 100,000 women aged 15 to 49 years in South Saharan Africa. Pierre Marie Tebeu et al, Int Urogynecol J. 2012

Fact: Seven primary risk factors for obstetrical fistula commonly reported include the place of birth and presence of a skilled birth attendant, the duration of labor and the use of a partograph, the lack of prenatal care, early marriage and young age at delivery, older age, lack of family planning, and a number of other poorly defined additional factors... Pierre Marie Tebeu et al, Int Urogynecol J. 2012

Fact: US has 500,000 teen pregnancies per year and 4000 girls get pregnant at age 12 and no age-related fistulae.

Nota bene: Human beings are not tinned tomato with 'best before' or 'expiration date,' and as hence, 18 can in no logical or physiological way, be the magical date that a child becomes an adult.

Nota bene: 18 is not a date enforced under the child rights UN act. It is only a recommended date; to maintain signatory to the act, a state can adopt an age of choice as its age of majority, above or below 18.

Nota bene: Biologically, medically and culturally, adulthood is defined as the attainment of sexual and social maturity, and is variable inter and intra-specie. A 13 year post pubertal man may not yet be intellectually mature just as a 52 year old man may not be deemed mature if he still acts intellectually and socially pediatric.

Popular consensus of the blesseds: Mary was 12 when she was betrothed to 90 year old Joseph, and God gave her Jesus when she was ~12-16.

Medical facts:

Teen pregnancy does not cause vesico or recto-vaginal fistula, lack of nearby quality obstetric care does.

Teen pregnancy reduces the risk/rate of breast cancer by 50%. Repeat, 50%!

Between teens and thirties, fertility rate drops by as much as 40%!

The body copes better and recovers more perfectly after teen birth, compared to old birth.

Social facts:

There are 2 teen pregnancies in south Nigeria for every 8 in the north.

#WomanNotCommodity

Aristo's are men who line up with their cars at Moremi and other campus halls to predate on and rump peoples teen and older daughters.

#WomanNotCommodity

All the thousands of teens and twenty year old girls that patrol the streets all over Nigeria, risking and selling their bodies to men, are people's daughters; repeat, they are people's daughters, and are the greatest threat to womanhood in Nigeria at present.

#WomanNotCommodity

81% of Nigerian women suffer from domestic violence, including wife murdering which is very prevalent and almost exclusive to southern parts of Nigeria.

The right to life: Abortion crises in Nigeria is a great threat to our women as well as murder of babies. This is a clear cause for address.

In conclusion.

There is no problem with Nigeria having this conversation in a mature, respectable productive format, on our women, their rights including age, opportunity, marriage and domestic violence related. But there is absolutely no reason for these childish rants and hopeless cheap-publicity seeking campaigns.

Nigeria is just--thank God--finally putting a lid on Boko Haram ethno-tensive risky violence. We are dealing with the second worst high sea piracy in the world, with the worst government in the world. Nigeria is the worst place to be born. If anything, married males should also be included in the provision and granted the rights of renunciation. And perhaps also, our purer teens should be allowed to vote, maybe this will save us from the stupid choices our adults vote into power. No law was broken in the events of the fateful senate meeting of July 16, neither law of God, nor law of man was violated. Do you wish a law to be violated? Do you wish senators to vote against the desires of their constituents who elected them to office? Why do Nigerians love and promote lawlessness? Due process was followed that fateful day. Why do we not first go after the millions of actual legal violations in the government and community that are clear and present government terror, than continue peddling this preposterous, gelastic, harebrained misinformation and misconstruction of events of the proceedings, with only aim, to attack 80% of northern marriages and in effect incite ethnic distrust? What a sorry nation with the most misplaced revolutions in history. They say lawyers are liars. I hardly believe. And so also, I refuse to believe the caution that actresses should always be suspected of being in performance.

I am not sure the world started in Nigeria, so why must the apocalypse begin from Nigeria? I rest my case on this ludicrous distraction and hereby return to the issues of 5>27 and 16>19, child and teenage numbers, surpassing adult numbers. And perhaps also, our purer teens should be allowed to vote, maybe this will save us from the stupid choices our adults vote into power.

Peregrino Brimah M.D. M.S

drbrimah@ends.ng
http://ENDS.ng [Every Nigerian Do Something]

2 Likes

Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by Brite02(m): 10:35am On Aug 03, 2013
HOT SEAT

Question 10 for 10 million naira & no life line.......
What will a 13yr old girl call her 65yr old husband?
A. Big Daddy
B. Grandpa
C. Papa
D. Senator
E. Ancestor
F. Grand-Husband
G. Uncle Yerima
H. Yerii love
I. Yeri pie
Ur time starts now.
Re: 'My Thoughts On Child Marriage' - Peregrino Brimah (Dr) by emmysharp(m): 12:12am On Sep 21, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Daughter Is Nowhere To Be Found And My Parents Won't Tell Me The Truth / What Does It Mean To Be A Submissive Wife. / Have Women Lost Their Feminine Mystique?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.