Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,777 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria (17671 Views)

Fire Explosion At Allen Gas,Okota Lagos,Many Feared Dead,Others Injured(Photos) / Bomb Explosion Destroys Ohanaeze Secretariat In Enugu / Interesting Ghanaian Thoughts About Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by nenergy(m): 9:47pm On Jul 23, 2013
black_beau: What we are yet to understand is that the peace of the tree is that of the bird
Thanks @black_beau That is my point exactly. No more apathy!
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by Salmoneus(m): 9:55pm On Jul 23, 2013
omenka:

Too tired to argue.

My advice, stick to words you are familier with and stop tryna impress folks up in here with seemingly uncommon diction.

Trust me, nairalanders don't give two hoots about "big grammer".

Too tired to argue? not an argument, tell me how I used the word wrongly, and it's spelt 'Grammar' not 'Grammer'.
Here let me help you http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/imminent

How did I use the word wrongly?

And I apologize if that word is big grammar to you, for me it's primary school stuff. cool
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by Gboliwe: 9:57pm On Jul 23, 2013
nenergy: Hmmm, NIGERIA MUST SUCCEED O! I used to believe that my personal success wasn't dependent on the success of Nigeria. But the tanker explosion at Ajah (Lagos) this morning, woke me up from my delusion. The scene was like something from the movie 2012. People running helter-skelter, traders abandoning their wares and a massive bellow of fire raising to the sky. For 15 minutes my life was disrupted. I forgot about work, my book project and even the plans i have for my July salary. When calm return and my life began to piece itself together, i thought to myself; "If i'm to have peace, Nigeria must have peace. If i'm to succeed, Nigeria must succeed." I pray, may the peace of God reign in Nigeria. May those who have sworn to trouble Nigeria be troubled till they abandon their devilish campaign. May God guide our leaders right and help them lead us to the promise land. Amen! Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Amen. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by redfred(m): 10:06pm On Jul 23, 2013
delors:
Did you say we failed for 52 years? i guess you are still dreaming. If in all the 52 years you see nothing worth praising, then i guess you are one big part of the problem.
Rome was not built in a day. Even the United states in all its acclaimed glory, it is still a nation bedevilled with problems, fear and what have you. And it is about 200 and something years old...what are you saying bros? What? if there is a problem in Nigeria, what part have you played to solve the problem? All you do is sit in the corner of your room or at the vendor stand and condemn the government as if the government is all to be blamed for people's woes. Individual efforts can contribute to the growth of Nigeria. i have seen very young innovative guys making things to make their lives better. facebook, google, youtube, microsoft, cars, telephone, etc were not created by the governments....but by indivduals like you and i. blackberry was created at a university (university of Waterloo) by a student. Since you studied abroad, did you notice all the electronics stuffs? in the washrooms, CCTVs, toasters, microwave, even a computer mouse, toys, etc were all created by young guys in their 20s...and the government came in to support them...and it is still happening. Go to app store, all those apps you see on android fones were created by very very young university students, not the government...it is high time you stopped blaming the government for your woes and make your own contribution...let's see how far you can go.

thanks @delors most times you see some Nigerians reason like they are from another planet.. this is our Home and all that happens is all ours +ve or otherwise...

God Bless Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by juman(m): 10:23pm On Jul 23, 2013
God break nigeria
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by delors(m): 10:25pm On Jul 23, 2013
bakynes:

C'mon mate, one needs to blame the govt first all and our leaders bcoz, the govt of those who invented all you ve stated which is the USA,UK,Germany,France and the rest of them provided an enabling environment for young ones to discover their talents,but reverse is the Case here so pls pls spare us this gist we ve heard it a thousand times.
Perfect! so sit on ur bum and wait for the government to create an enabling environment before you make something happen. Perhaps Oga seun of Nairaland waited for Obasanjo to create the enabling environment before he started. perhaps Wizkid waited for Yar adua before he launched his music career...or YNaija guys waited for GEJ before he thought of what to do...siddon there. I know a very young Nigerian here...he just got about $200k CAN ( apprx N34M) two weeks ago to start his project...he got the funds from different sources after telling them his idea. Now, he is in Nigeria doing his thing...His idea? He is developing course contents for new universities in Nigeria...he got funding from individuals, organizations etc just two weeks ago. Tell me bros, was it the government that put that idea in his head? abi he is not presently in this same Nigeria under discussion? undecided

1 Like

Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by GatJokez(f): 10:26pm On Jul 23, 2013
ebamma 3: i have lost faith in organised religion
i have lost faith in humanity
i have lost faith in the unity of this country

Just don't lose faith in yourself undecided smiley
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by delors(m): 10:26pm On Jul 23, 2013
juman: God break nigeria
Starting with your head first... smiley
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by delors(m): 10:27pm On Jul 23, 2013
GatJokez:

Just don't lose faith in yourself undecided smiley
let him lose it joor, another person go find am take better him life...
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by GatJokez(f): 10:36pm On Jul 23, 2013
What I have to say to all this: Home is what you make it and so is the bed you sleep in. No matter what culture and nation one pics or is born into, one should take pride and responsibility. Show pride by making the best of what you have and fight for it. Show responsibility by protecting what you established with much pride and improving every step of the way. Just like birds building a nest, we should nurture it twig by twig.

The Nature versus Nurture concept comes to mind. No matter what our nature is, what personality and characteristics we behold, it's the what and how we do things that counts - aka Nurture.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by Odunharry(m): 10:44pm On Jul 23, 2013
im still saying it 9geria will be a better place it dsnt matter how it gonna happen or d numbr of years it gonna take..

Those who plan bad 4 our belove country,na thunda go faya una
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by kabba7(m): 10:49pm On Jul 23, 2013
[quote author=nijanigga]How come T.B.Joshua did not prophesy the death of Patience's mom?

Maybe na witch
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by todayguest(m): 11:04pm On Jul 23, 2013
finally, you have lost faith in yourself.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by trolling(m): 11:05pm On Jul 23, 2013
its really gonna hurt but you guys still have 6 years to go thru misery and darkness...if u dont have a strong heart and spiritual protection you might as well forget it,the worse is yet to come
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by agohavivi(f): 11:13pm On Jul 23, 2013
You probably have lost faith in yourself as well.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by princeonx: 12:22am On Jul 24, 2013
code_0: THE ILLUMATI LET OBAMA MICROCHIP TAKE
ON NIGERIA. THE 77 VIRGINS SINGS WITH
JOY. OH OBAMA, OH NIGERIA. HUHAHAHI.

Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by victorazy(m): 12:38am On Jul 24, 2013
ubongutioh: What's really your point. What has the fire got to do with Nigeria succeeding? How did the fire change you? What were you before? @OP.

U gat the dull brain. OP simply means "civilian gov is better than militry gov" our country have the chance to be d best in this peaceful humidity than of war and violence.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by Asiwaju9ja(m): 3:09am On Jul 24, 2013
Visualize Nigeria Seperated.

Northern Nigeria, South Nigeria, and East Nigeria.

Which do u think will be the most developed after 20 yrs down d line?

Which do u think will be d most corrupt?

Which do u think will have d best leaders (comparing each Nigerian Kontiri above)

Which will have d best educational system,Health system,Roads, patriotic citizens,Most hard working,Most honest etc.

My brothers n Sisters, all ur answers is what each bring to the table in amalgamated Nigeria.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by YoshiMaster: 3:20am On Jul 24, 2013
delors:
Did you say we failed for 52 years? i guess you are still dreaming. If in all the 52 years you see nothing worth praising, then i guess you are one big part of the problem.
Rome was not built in a day. Even the United states in all its acclaimed glory, it is still a nation bedevilled with problems, fear and what have you. And it is about 200 and something years old...what are you saying bros? What? if there is a problem in Nigeria, what part have you played to solve the problem? All you do is sit in the corner of your room or at the vendor stand and condemn the government as if the government is all to be blamed for people's woes. Individual efforts can contribute to the growth of Nigeria. i have seen very young innovative guys making things to make their lives better. facebook, google, youtube, microsoft, cars, telephone, etc were not created by the governments....but by indivduals like you and i. blackberry was created at a university (university of Waterloo) by a student. Since you studied abroad, did you notice all the electronics stuffs? in the washrooms, CCTVs, toasters, microwave, even a computer mouse, toys, etc were all created by young guys in their 20s...and the government came in to support them...and it is still happening. Go to app store, all those apps you see on android fones were created by very very young university students, not the government...it is high time you stopped blaming the government for your woes and make your own contribution...let's see how far you can go.

Dude check out the transformation of dubai just within a couple years.

Saying that we should make our own way is not necessarily a bad thing, but you cannot absolve the government of their faults.

Take for instance, a start up company in Nigeria. That company would have to pay for deisel to fuel their gen. That alone is a failure on the side of the government, and in turn discourages these starts ups, which are analogous to the the young guys you were referring to.

That same company would have to again look for funds to drill a borehole, then pay for fancy equipment to filter the water and don't forget the pump to pressurize the water. A job the government should have done.

So yes, we should all do our part, but I can assure you that most Nigerians are ready to be entrepreneurial if given the right atmosphere to do so. Just like the barber that wants to start up a very small scale salon, but can't fathom the cost of generator plus fuel/diesel.

Lets stop making excuses for our government. We all know deep down inside, that if they were not corrupt, we would all be alot further.

Just Amechis jet alone is rumored to cost 45 million dollars. At $100,000 dollars to renovate a 1 km stretch of road, that money used to buy the plane, could have re-paved so many inner streets to look like yankee standard.

1 Like

Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by nijanigga: 4:02am On Jul 24, 2013
delors:
Starting with your head first... smiley

Nope, that's his own prayer, which I also approve.But you can ask God to break your head,which is empty.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by bakynes(m): 4:14am On Jul 24, 2013
delors:
Perfect! so sit on ur bum and wait for the government to create an enabling environment before you make something happen. Perhaps Oga seun of Nairaland waited for Obasanjo to create the enabling environment before he started. perhaps Wizkid waited for Yar adua before he launched his music career...or YNaija guys waited for GEJ before he thought of what to do...siddon there. I know a very young Nigerian here...he just got about $200k CAN ( apprx N34M) two weeks ago to start his project...he got the funds from different sources after telling them his idea. Now, he is in Nigeria doing his thing...His idea? He is developing course contents for new universities in Nigeria...he got funding from individuals, organizations etc just two weeks ago. Tell me bros, was it the government that put that idea in his head? abi he is not presently in this same Nigeria under discussion? undecided

See you talked abt CCTV,Cars,Telephone and not Wizkid and do you think Seun was a pauper when he created this blog @ least he had some expertise and some money to start up compared to millions of young ones out there who don't even have a laptop to even do anytin @ all.We cannot bt blame d govt for nt creating a platform for human development.I know pple arnd me here who has Good ideas bt no funds to make it a reality.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by delors(m): 4:17am On Jul 24, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

Dude check out the transformation of dubai just within a couple years.

Saying that we should make our own way is not necessarily a bad thing, but you cannot absolve the government of their faults.

Take for instance, a start up company in Nigeria. That company would have to pay for deisel to fuel their gen. That alone is a failure on the side of the government, and in turn discourages these starts ups, which are analogous to the the young guys you were referring to.

That same company would have to again look for funds to drill a borehole, then pay for fancy equipment to filter the water and don't forget the pump to pressurize the water. A job the government should have done.

So yes, we should all do our part, but I can assure you that most Nigerians are ready to be entrepreneurial if given the right atmosphere to do so. Just like the barber that wants to start up a very small scale salon, but can't fathom the cost of generator plus fuel/diesel.

Lets stop making excuses for our government. We all know deep down inside, that if they were not corrupt, we would all be alot further.

Just Amechis jet alone is rumored to cost 45 million dollars. At $100,000 dollars to renovate a 1 km stretch of road, that money used to buy the plane, could have re-paved so many inner streets to look like yankee standard.

Yeah, i like the pictures you used to support your view. but perhaps you forgot that that street alone is not the whole of Dubai. there are slums in Dubai as well...check out pictures labelled 1 & 2...1 is a slum in Dubai where the lesser ones live in constant fear of oppression. 2 shows you how segregated the city is with sky scrappers on one side and hut-like bousings on the other...it is a direct example of Nigeria's Lagos island where VI is full of nice buildings but behind it, areas like residential CMS area, isale eko are slums...I could have easily shown you a nice picture of Lagos island and said yeah, we have really advanced. But my point is that, of course the government has a larger role to play in ensuring that we have growth and development but then, we blame the government for every woe when we are supposed to be up and doing to to contribute our quota.
You mentioned a start-up and I was was almost swelling with happiness until you said ' barber'! You see, no creativity, no ideas, no thinking outside the box. ow many barbers do we have in one street at Mushin? almost 4...every street has almost 4 barbers...doing the same thing...fighting for scarce customers...no wonder boys are now keeping afro.
We have POVERTY OF IDEAS. I mentioned a young Nigerian who is preparing course packets for new Nigerian univiersities...he was invited to california, to MIT, to Google office, to Blackberry office, and there he gathered all his resources...if he took had decided to be a 'barber' like you mentioned, he probably will be complaining right about now now that there r no customers and GEJ nor give us lights to come...

Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by YoshiMaster: 5:10am On Jul 24, 2013
delors:
Yeah, i like the pictures you used to support your view. but perhaps you forgot that that street alone is not the whole of Dubai. there are slums in Dubai as well...check out pictures labelled 1 & 2...1 is a slum in Dubai where the lesser ones live in constant fear of oppression. 2 shows you how segregated the city is with sky scrappers on one side and hut-like bousings on the other...it is a direct example of Nigeria's Lagos island where VI is full of nice buildings but behind it, areas like residential CMS area, isale eko are slums...I could have easily shown you a nice picture of Lagos island and said yeah, we have really advanced. But my point is that, of course the government has a larger role to play in ensuring that we have growth and development but then, we blame the government for every woe when we are supposed to be up and doing to to contribute our quota.
You mentioned a start-up and I was was almost swelling with happiness until you said ' barber'! You see, no creativity, no ideas, no thinking outside the box. ow many barbers do we have in one street at Mushin? almost 4...every street has almost 4 barbers...doing the same thing...fighting for scarce customers...no wonder boys are now keeping afro.
We have POVERTY OF IDEAS. I mentioned a young Nigerian who is preparing course packets for new Nigerian univiersities...he was invited to california, to MIT, to Google office, to Blackberry office, and there he gathered all his resources...if he took had decided to be a 'barber' like you mentioned, he probably will be complaining right about now now that there r no customers and GEJ nor give us lights to come...

The barber scenario was just an example. I also inferred to office based start ups when I mentioned that they would have to drill a borehole. Guess I figured you would picture a typical office building giving the fact that a borehole would be necessary.

Yes the environment might be flooded with barbers, but again, that was just an example taking too literally. There would be so many start ups both small scale and large scale that would spring up out of no where if basic infrastructure is attended to. Why do you think the economists predict a sharp increase in Nigeria's economic outlook, should constant electricity (just one of the many basic infrastructures needed) become a reality.

With regards to the comparison you made between the best of Dubai and the best of Nigeria, we know that the best of Nigeria to some extent isn't even good enough (due to no electricity, water, and so on), and that specifically is my point.

You seem to forget that majority of company start ups do not stand the test of time, this is not local to Nigeria alone, but a World Wide observation. So how much more difficult will it be for star ups, or rather, how much lower would the percentage of successful start ups be, given the current dilapidated state of basic infrastructure?

Some people will always blame the government for their woes, even if their present circumstances might be self inflicted. So really there is no getting away from that.

However, when most people in a country start blaming their government for their woes, then some soul searching on the side of the government would really be warranted.

It's just that in our case, some of these guys act like they have no souls.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by Lanceslot(m): 5:23am On Jul 24, 2013
nadia_SA: GOD BLESS NIGERIA..
I Love That Country..
I Love its people..
I will get you an apartment in bauchi, you will love the environment.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by Nobody: 5:23am On Jul 24, 2013
Lanceslot: I will get you an apartment in bauchi, you will love the environment.

grin
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by Nobody: 5:24am On Jul 24, 2013
Kenny4lyfe: Chai! If a tanker explosion could make you reason this way, I wonder what you'll reason if you witnessed a suiside bomb blast!

Born again tinz
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by Nobody: 5:41am On Jul 24, 2013
nenergy: Hmmm, NIGERIA MUST SUCCEED O! I used to believe that my personal success wasn't dependent on the success of Nigeria. But the tanker explosion at Ajah (Lagos) this morning, woke me up from my delusion. The scene was like something from the movie 2012. People running helter-skelter, traders abandoning their wares and a massive bellow of fire raising to the sky. For 15 minutes my life was disrupted. I forgot about work, my book project and even the plans i have for my July salary. When calm return and my life began to piece itself together, i thought to myself; "If i'm to have peace, Nigeria must have peace. If i'm to succeed, Nigeria must succeed." I pray, may the peace of God reign in Nigeria. May those who have sworn to trouble Nigeria be troubled till they abandon their devilish campaign. May God guide our leaders right and help them lead us to the promise land. Amen! Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Yes, Prayer instead of action is what you need.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by Nobody: 5:42am On Jul 24, 2013
Salmoneus: Even if Nigeria was a success things like this would happen, disaster is imminent for ALL countries!! Developed or developing.

Riiiiigggghhht, and instead of the appropriate organization to respond, rescue and evacuate people, they either run helter skelter or turn to the heavens for help.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by Tintinix: 5:50am On Jul 24, 2013
It is situations like these that causes a paradigm shift in our thinking... The true reality of what is import sets in, but how long this will last until the illussion of the rat race we live in sets in is the issue.
A friend recently mentioned how she had a near death experience and how in that moment her life flashed through her eyes and as she took stock of her life she realized she didn't need a sermon for her to know that she needed to set things right. She made it and is trying to do the right things, people imagine those that will never have this opportunity ever to be remorseful talkless of hope for a change..
You are the change that Nigeria needs, if we do less talk and start doing the right things maybe there will still be hope for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by nagoma(m): 6:03am On Jul 24, 2013
If we could all wake up .
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by nagoma(m): 6:04am On Jul 24, 2013

Reactive depression can be managed or even cured. See your psychiatrist.
Re: Fire Explosion Changed A Nairalander's Thoughts About Nigeria by nijanigga: 6:57am On Jul 24, 2013
delors:
Cock and bull story. "...he got funding from individuals, organizations etc just two weeks ago""He is developing course contents for new universities in Nigeria" Another fraudstar. Nigerian degrees are toilet papers, who will give somebody money for faeces?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rivers ACN Calls For The Removal Of Amaechi / Osinbanjo And Okowa Visit Focados Oil Terminal / Dave Umahi Endorses Buhari For Second Term In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.