Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,162 members, 7,818,535 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers (27031 Views)

Biafra: Court Provides Barricade For Witnesses Against Kanu [PHOTOS] / El-Rufai Bans Beggars And Street Hawkers In Kaduna State / Fashola Marvels At Hawkers’ Skills In Traffic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers by naptu2: 3:12pm On Jul 28, 2013
Graduates of the skills acquisition centres also make the desks and chairs that are used in Lagos State schools.
Re: Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers by naptu2: 3:16pm On Jul 28, 2013
[size=14pt]COMMISSIONING OF EGAN SKILLS ACQUISITION SCHEME[/size]

With the conviction that youth empowerment in Skill acquisition would reduce the problem of unemployment and eradicate poverty. The State Government decided to add Egan-Igando Vocational and Technical Skill Acquisition Centre to the list of Centres in various Local Government Areas in the State.

Six new courses were introduced to expand the curriculum. The new skills introduced are Welding, Aluminium Fabrication, Tile/Interlocking, Stone laying, Vulcanizing, Wheel Balance, Printing/Lithography Screen Transfer, Refrigerating and Air-conditioning Installation and Repairs in addition to the existing Vocation such as Hairdressing & Barbing, Computer Appreciation and Programming, Fashion Design, Catering & Hotel Management, Textile & Hat Design, Photography, Adult Literacy and Counselling.

The objectives of the establishment of Skill Acquisition Centres in every part of the State are to promote entrepreneurial skills among young men and women, create job opportunities for self development and reliance and to prepare prospective beneficiaries of vocational education as future employers of Labour.

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/generalevent.php?k=7&ek=0
Re: Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 28, 2013
vivalavida: So nairalanders dey bleep themselves here? See kzoku aka donchriss and berem ooo? Chai i dey carry last sha
lol! you dey craze o! grin
Re: Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers by naptu2: 3:22pm On Jul 28, 2013
[size=14pt]Septuagenarians, widows hone skills at WAPA empowerment programme.[/size]

on January 03, 2012 at 12:20 am in Metro

By  Olasunkanmi Akoni & Monsur Olowoopejo

AN ongoing short-term skill acquisition programmes organised by the Lagos State government through the Ministry of Women and Poverty Alleviation, WAPA empowerment programme, has become the toast of not only the youths but septuagenarians and widows who are yearning to engage in innovative ventures such as manufacturing  new and existing products in the country.

The programme which held simultaneously in four centres – Gbagada Industrial Estate, Victoria Island, Maryland centres and FESTAC Town, Amuwo Odofin,  was the second phase of the Lagos State five-week short-term skill acquisition programme.

Vocational skills

At these centres, no fewer than 5, 000 persons in various vocations, would be trained during the programme. Over 2000 graduates were trained in various vocational skills when the programme was first held.

Some participants at the event

The programme is expected to complement the effort of the 18 functional vocational/skill acquisition centres across the state which provide long-term skill learning to the youths.

Vanguard Metro, VM, learnt that the inability of the long-term centres to accommodate all the prospective candidates who usually throng the 18 centres to seek for admission, led the State government to design the short-term programme.

The participants are trained in aluminium fabrication, computer design, welding, wheel balancing and alignment, hair dressing and cosmetology, shoe fabrication and wood furniture, catering and hotel management, screen printing and heat transfer, tile laying, refrigeration and air conditional repair.

Others include: hair braiding and weaving, tie and dye, event management, balloon and flower decorations, cake and snacks production, soap and cream production, craft and hat making, bead stringing and insecticide and stove thread productions.

Lagos State Deputy Governor, Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire, who oversees the WAPA Ministry, said the four-week “programme is part of the state government’s poverty reduction strategy and part of  its renewed effort to give youths and women in the state vocational training that would make them economically independent as well as reduce poverty in the country.

Adefulire said the government will establish more skill acquisition centres in each of the 20 local government and 37 Local Council Development Area, LCDAs, in the state.

The Deputy Governor disclosed that as part of efforts to ensure that skill acquisitions centres are established in each of the local councils, the state government has completed the Isheri rehabilitation/vocational training centre for wood furniture and shoe making and Ayobo skill centre respectively.

At the Amuwo-Odofin centre, one of the beneficiaries, Princess Ann Udemeh, a septuagenarian, who was trained in catering, was elated that during the four weeks she stayed in the centre, her story has changed for good. Said Udemeh: “Since I became an adult, all I do is to give caterers money to make cake for me whenever I want to celebrate my birthday.

After my last birthday, that was my 77th birthday, I thought of it that when I will be celebrating my next birthday, I will be joining the league of octogenarians. And the only way for me to celebrate it is to have a cake designed and baked by me.

But the challenge I had was how to acquire this skill with ease. This thought enveloped me until few weeks ago when I heard about this programme and I quickly grabbed the opportunity and here I am today, the story has changed.”

Another beneficiary of the programme, Mrs. Elizabeth Ikpeme, a 65-year-old widow and a full-time housewife, said before the death of her husband, she was not engaged in any business. “I have always wanted to learn something that has to do with using my hand,” she said.

Ikpeme, who is one of the few widows at the centre added; “when I heard about this, I decided to enrol for the programme because I saw it as a life time opportunity.

Another beneficiary, Nike Apata, commended the state government for the laudable programme saying, it would afford her the opportunity of meeting her family needs.

Apata promised to set up her own outfit after the completion of the four-week training. “My family life will never be the same again; we thank the government for this poverty alleviation initiative.  I implore them to keep it up in order to assist the less privileged in the society. I implore well meaning Nigerians to assist the government by establishing such empowerment programmes rather than spending money extravagantly on  parties and other wasteful ventures.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/septuagenarians-widows-hone-skills-at-wapa-empowerment-programme/

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers by lastpage: 3:27pm On Jul 28, 2013
naptu2:
miqos02: The Ogun State Government on Wednesday allocated 500 hectares of land to the Lagos State Government for agricultural purposes.

The government said this in a statement jointly signed by the governors of Ogun and Lagos states, Ibikunle Amosun and Babatunde Fashola, at the end of a meeting between the two states.

It also said the letter of allocation for the land was presented to Fashola during the meeting.

Amosun also handed over Certificate of Occupancy of Iju Water Works to Fashola during the meeting.

The two governors re-affirmed their committment towards regional integration of the South-West.

src: http://www.punchng.com/news/amosun-fashola-meet-over-boundary-dispute/

[b]Despite the various DEFICIENCIES of Governments in the South West of Nigeria, l am still full of SMILES when l see the "EAGERNESS and WILLINGNESS" in them to COOPERATE and INNOVATE.

Lagos is far ahead of any state in Nigeria but the "Yoruba States" are not just ahead of other states but they posses the RIGHT ATTITUDE to rid their states of POVERTY.
It may take two decades or less but with such cooperation and forward thinking, its just a matter of time before these surrounding Yoruba states start developing as "likes will beget likes" and development rubs-off on each other.

Just imagine, The Iju water works is "physically located in OGUN STATE.
It serves and is mostly used by Lagos state / Lagosians. Iju Town itself has been carved-in, surrounded and encircled by developments under Lagos state (Many live in Iju (Ogun) and work in Lagos!

For ADMINISTRATIVE CONVENIENCE, EFFICIENCY AND INTER-STATE COOPERATION, two state executives have decided to "swap land" ....

.....l am wondering whether Umuleri and Agwuleri (and some of those Governors from other parts of Nigeria), can learn a thing or two from this?[/b]

Well, Yoruba land is Moving forward and moving on, take it from me!
I guess in the future, we will have a United States of Oduduwa" (USO)!! kiss kiss wink
Fully integrated and advanced nation where "Entry Visa fees only", would net us much more than what U.K Home Office makes from Visitors and immigrant residents! cool cool shocked

Lastpage!
@naptu, thanks for bringing all these together, l hope Fashola is 'recognizing' properly?
@All: I think what is good is worth emulating. We dont need to be (like Beef) beefing each other, instead, we can cooperate and become mutually beneficial.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers by vivalavida(m): 3:27pm On Jul 28, 2013
berem: lol! you dey craze o! grin

Make i PM you now
Re: Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers by Evestar200(f): 3:29pm On Jul 28, 2013
Is okay o,,the mod of this section shld close this thread o
Re: Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers by GangstaGrillz: 4:12pm On Jul 28, 2013
vivalavida:
Development began with the yorubas but by the 1950's the igbos have caught up with you folks and taken over you folks. You pple fought from where to where? Which history book did u read that? Or your grandfada told u during moonlight tales? Hahahahahaha

That's what your bigoted academics indoctrinated you with. Don't compare old money with new money. Because old money stood the test of time and it's still there. But new money would make a lot of noise and fizzle out with time. Yorubas have a foundation that ibos don't have and, that expertise and experience in nation building. You can never buy that, you have go through that phase and that's something you still have to learn. I doubt you will ever catch up with the yorubas in this century, probably the next one. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 28, 2013
bankyblue: All those big f**l that was calling for the head of BRF, where re u
Now?

Is only in lagos that u will see a ogbo commissioner,

is only in Lagos u will see an igbo lady rule the state for 24hours,

Is only in lagos u will see the Governor pay the medical bill of an igbo lady

Is only in lagos u will see the governor trying to better the igbo guys life on the st

I wish ur weak, selfish, and good for nothing governor in SE can
Do something gud for u like this.

GOD bless u BRF
GOD bless u Lagos
GOD bless u Nigeria

didn't amaechi give ojb some dollar the othe day

1 Like

Re: Fashola Provides Skill Training For Hawkers by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 28, 2013
berem: what proof do you have that the boys in the lab are mostly Yorubas?

u believe a government establishment in Lagos will favor an igbo man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Issues In APC; There Should Be Primaries - Segun Ayobolu / Has The Nigerian Authorities Been Alerted To These Under-aged Potential Voters? / Deutsche Welle Publishes Scathing Article On FG And Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.