Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,142 members, 7,860,108 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:34 AM

Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture (23124 Views)

4 BEDROOM DUPLEX (A New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture) / New Dimension To Nigerian Architecture (construction Of 4 Bedroom Twin Duplex) / Why Is Nigerian Architecture So Uninspiring? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by spyder880(m): 12:06pm On Nov 23, 2015
obua:
We have been doing container homes since the year 2000

What is the dimension of this pictured container, and how much will it cost to drop in a place like Enugu state?
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by motemi111(m): 6:30pm On Nov 23, 2015
obua:
We have been doing container homes since the year 2000
Like how much does it take to build a container home of 3bdrm?
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by obua: 8:38pm On Nov 23, 2015
The pictured container is 2 units of 40 feet containers. Approx area is 57sqm.
It will cost about N3 million less transport.
spyder880:

What is the dimension of this pictured container, and how much will it cost to drop in a place like Enugu state?
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by obua: 8:41pm On Nov 23, 2015
A 3 bedroom of approx 115 sqm will cost between N7 and N9m. If you have a plan we can give you exact price
motemi111:
Like how much does it take to build a container home of 3bdrm?

1 Like

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by obua: 7:02pm On Dec 03, 2015
obua:
A 3 bedroom of approx 115 sqm will cost between N7 and N9m. If you have a plan we can give you exact price
A smaller 3bdr of approx 85sqm will cost about N5.5 m
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 04, 2015
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by seunEsq(m): 1:08pm On Jan 25, 2016
obua:
That is a bit expensive, building with cemetn costs as much in the South West excluding Lagos
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by seunEsq(m): 1:09pm On Jan 25, 2016
obua:
That is a bit expensive, building with cement costs as much in the South West excluding Lagos
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by nigeriancuban: 6:44pm On Jan 27, 2016
nice trend,I'm gently following...
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Mayor78: 6:05am On Jan 29, 2016
This is called pulling ideas together. What a great way to learn varying aspects of building, and building materials including the informing on the availability of things like plaster board masquerading in local Naij market as POP board, or gypsum board. Whao Nairaland. Real learning centre. Interesting. @Fhemmmy, Class Perfect, sorry am new to the college. I have my USB for previous handouts. This all.

2 Likes

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by MsTee9: 1:01am On Jan 30, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed this thread I had to join nairaland smiley Thanks for all who've contributed.
Very keen to try out alternative materials to build in Lagos - LBS Ajah area.
I'm very surprised to hear that mud isn't a viable option due to lack of skilled workers.
I tried to explore fencing options and the looks I got when I suggested bamboo made me realise we are very stuck in our ways.

So open to discussing project and options.
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Godspikin: 6:46am On Jan 30, 2016
spyder880:
Many readers of my threads are concerned about the costs of building a house in Nigeria. It is on the high side. This is largely due to the type of building materials we use to construct our houses, and the labour intensive methods we employ.

So, what is the way forward? What are the options? Do you have any idea of how to reduce construction costs in Nigeria? Which building methods/materials do you suggest and why? Please bring all the ideas here.

Find in the link below pictures of beautiful projects done with interlocking red-bricks and how you too can employ this technology for your next project.

https://www.nairaland.com/2818337/why-should-use-red-bricks/1
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Godspikin: 6:48am On Jan 30, 2016
Hasn't hydra form done enough for alternative building material yet their houses are not popular yet. The need for mortar is totally eliminated and the blocks are made from laterite and cement or is there a deficiency in those buildings I don't know about?

There's also broad.com, the Chinese manufacturer of cheap and long lasting homes with zero waste on site.

Find in the link below pictures of beautiful projects done with interlocking red-bricks and how you too can employ this technology for your next project.

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Godspikin: 6:49am On Jan 30, 2016
Humanbeans:

One problem i see wt hydraform is the initial cost of the moulding machine, thats why its not very attractive for now. but on the long term, its more cost effective than sandcrete blocks.I believe any investor in hydraform blocks will make money on the long run.

You can now get this machine at a very reasonable and affordable price.

Click the link below for details.
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Godspikin: 6:58am On Jan 30, 2016
bebe2:
If anyone think they can build with hydro foam or other materials that are cheaper pls contact me, I have a job for u.

3, 2 bed flat.opic estate agbara.

Tnks

We can.

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Godspikin: 7:04am On Jan 30, 2016
spyder880:
Just saw this building with mud walls but being finished with modern materials, just wondering how much cheaper it will be to build a house when you substitute blocks with clay?

You can with HYDRAulically FORMed bricks made from laterite n very little cement.

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by Godspikin: 7:08am On Jan 30, 2016
true2home:
I have looked into clay bricks method and tried to incorporate it into a design for a country villa, but it's wasnt practical cos it was hard to find workers with the expertise. I was going to design the exterior with conventional cement bricks and design the interior with mud bricks. After asking around for worker in the line of good old method, I was told that nobody near by can do it and it will actually cost me more to have it done. It's unfortunate cos my dad used this composition method in our family house in Magodo Lagos years back

Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by CeterisXVII: 1:34am On May 04, 2016
MsTee9:
Thoroughly enjoyed this thread I had to join nairaland smiley Thanks for all who've contributed.
Very keen to try out alternative materials to build in Lagos - LBS Ajah area.
I'm very surprised to hear that mud isn't a viable option due to lack of skilled workers.
I tried to explore fencing options and the looks I got when I suggested bamboo made me realise we are very stuck in our ways.

So open to discussing project and options.

Bamboo, ke? To construct a fence??! shocked In a city as crime-prone as Lagos? Your fence would be pulled down in 10 minutes flat, if miscreants decide to visit your neighbourhood!! shocked
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by msogunro: 2:48am On May 04, 2016
CeterisXVII:

Bamboo, ke? To construct a fence??! shocked In a city as crime-prone as Lagos? Your fence would be pulled down in 10 minutes flat, if miscreants decide to visit your neighbourhood!! shocked

Something that I have been considering is a combo of blocks, cement, and bamboo.

Dig a trench about 3/4 - 1 meter deep. Lay 1 row of blocks. Insert the bamboo into each hole in the block so that they are equal distance and fill with cement. If I pursue it, I will fill in the gaps by planting trees.
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by laudate: 3:12pm On Feb 24, 2017
Bookmarked. cool Am following...
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by waslag: 6:56pm On Apr 30, 2017
HI,
Do you have Plasterboard for Ceiling and Wall? how much is it and what is it's size of each one. And your Location please. You can send me the detail here and my email : freerhyme_wasalg@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks.
Re: Alternative Building Technology And Its Application To Nigerian Architecture by laudate: 2:57pm On Sep 29, 2017
obua:

The difference in cost between your 3 bedroom building and a conventional 3 bedroom built with mortar and bricks is very little, if we go by the prices given here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ABUJA FCT PROPERTIES; SELLING Houses, Lands(CofOs)Katampe, Asokoro, Etc+PICTURES / Affordable Fairfield Apartment For Sell ( Lekki ) / Cost Per Sq M Of Aluminium Roofing Step Tiles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.