Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,130 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? (22487 Views)

Is Pope Francis Really A Catholic? / Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? / Did Pope Benedict Convert To Islam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by Fadelex(m): 1:51pm On Jul 30, 2013
IYA NGBALI: after me you the only sane person on board here,others are just haters
so because people are airing their own opinion which does not align with yours, you have the the gut to qualify them as " insane"... I won't attack you so that you won't have the chance to drag me to your level cuz I'm sure you will beat me inside your mud

1 Like

Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:53pm On Jul 30, 2013
The day they elect a catholic Pope is the day I join Islam!

1 Like

Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by Timijo(m): 1:54pm On Jul 30, 2013
shumax: this is a long read but for all those who are interested, it presents the real scenero of what made the pope made such a statement and what it really means
The press is buzzing right now with claims that Pope Francis has taken a sharply different line than his predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, on the subject of homosexuality.
Some are suggesting that the new pope has announced that "gay is okay."
What did Pope Francis really say, and how unusual is it?
Here are 7 things to know and share . . .

1) Where did Pope Francis make these remarks?
He made them during an 80-minute interview with reporters aboard the plane returning from World Youth Day in Brazil.

2) What was he asked that led to the remarks?
We may not know exactly what the question was until a transcript is released, but apparently, he was asked about the reputed "gay lobby" at the Vatican.
More info on that here.

3) What exactly did he say?
According to the best current accounts, he said:
There's a lot of talk about the gay lobby, but I've never seen it on the Vatican ID card.
When I meet a gay person, I have to distinguish between their being gay and being part of a lobby. If they accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them? They shouldn't be marginalized. The tendency [i.e., same-sex attraction] is not the problem ... they're our brothers.

4) What does this mean?
The first part of the statement seems to downplay the who "gay lobby" issue. He's not denying that there is one there, but he's suggesting that the talk is somewhat overblown.
He then explains his approach to dealing with gay people: He distinguishes between their "being gay" and "being part of a lobby."
What he means by "being gay" is something he further unpacks.
In ordinary parlance, "being gay" can mean anything from having same-sex attraction to leading an active "gay lifestyle" to endorsing and advocating a pro-homosexual ideology.
The last of these would be functioning as a member of a lobby, and he indicates that this is not what he is talking about.
He then describes those he is talking about as people who "accept the Lord and have goodwill."
He then seems to further clarify who he is talking about by saying that "The tendency [i.e., same-sex attraction] is not the problem ... they're our brothers."
Taking his statements together, what emerges is a portrait of individuals who have same-sex attraction but who nevertheless accept the Lord and have goodwill, as opposed to working to advance a pro-homosexual ideology.
This would definitely include people with same-sex attraction who strive to live chastely (even if they sometimes fail).
It also, possibly, could include individuals who are not living chastely but who are not actively lobbying a homosexual agenda. It would be nice if he'd said a little more to clarify the point further.

5) What does he say about people in this category?
He says that he does not think he is in a position to judge them and that they should not be marginalized.
He also says that the mere tendency (same-sex attraction) "is not the problem," and that "they're our brothers."

6) How new is this?
Not very.
Disclaiming a right to "judge" others is something that goes back to Jesus. It does not mean a failure to recognize the moral character of others' actions, however.
One can form a moral appraisal that what someone else is doing is wrong (Jesus obviously does not forbid that) without having or showing malice toward them.
The statement that they should not be marginalized is similarly in keeping with the Holy See's approach to the subject, as 1992 Vatican document On the Pastoral Care of Homosexual Persons.
The statement that same-sex attraction "is not the problem," when understood correctly, is also nothing new. "The problem," as Pope Francis seems to here be understanding it, is going beyond merely having a sinful tendency--a temptation to which one is subject.
Obviously, temptations are problem, but if we resist temptation we do not sin. "The problem," on this understanding, is giving into the temptation and sinning or--worse--building an ideology around the sin and trying to advocate the sin.
Finally, the statement that "they're our brothers" is also no novelty. Christians, like everyone, have struggled with every sort of temptation all through history.
Same-sex attraction is just one temptation among numerous others, and the fact that a person suffers from this temptation no more deprives him of the status of being a brother in Christ than any other temptation does.

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/7-things-you-need-to-know-about-what-pope-francis-said-about-gays#ixzz2aUx6DLdG
I think this question should be directed to google for better answer.
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by hardigsbaba(m): 1:54pm On Jul 30, 2013
jmoore: Is telling a r@pist that r@pe is a sin,judging?
Is telling a murderer that murder is a sin, judging?
If you don't say that homosexuality is a sin then you might as well shutup when someone r@pes your daughter or kills your mother.

Quit quoting the bible out of context.

Mr. did he actually say its not a sin?>>>>NO, try read the full text of the interview.

1 Like

Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by IlCapitano(m): 1:55pm On Jul 30, 2013
Fadelex:
so because people are airing their own opinion which does not align with yours, you have the the gut to qualify them as " insane"... I won't attack you so that you won't have the chance to drag me to your level cuz I'm sure you will beat me inside your mud
going by your statements you've been spayed of the ability to maintain a proper thought process.
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by CoolKizzy(m): 1:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
Yungwizzzy: call a spade a spade Pope. all homosexuals are going to hell!!

and u are going to
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by IlCapitano(m): 1:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
undecided
Odenigbo Aroli: The day they elect a catholic Pope is the day I join Islam!
undecided
what's this one saying?

1 Like

Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by Indifferent(m): 1:57pm On Jul 30, 2013
As a pope, he should mind how he talk in public especially on delicate issues like homosexuality. He is the leader of the church, and a simple talk can mislead his followers.
Remember all the sins are existent but only one sin made God set a whole city ablaze
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by IYANGBALI: 1:57pm On Jul 30, 2013
hardigsbaba:

Only fools talk like u just did...........are you saying Jesus too doesn't have the guts to stand for truth too.?
dont mind the hediot
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by IYANGBALI: 1:58pm On Jul 30, 2013
Il Capitano: undecided undecided
who cares
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by italo: 1:59pm On Jul 30, 2013
datChelseaBoy: [b]I love this Pope so much because of the way he thinks, though I'm not a Catholic. He has this humility and wisdom that makes him stand out among other world leaders and former Popes. That was why he was able to attract a world record crowd of over three million in Brazil last Sunday. I support what he said. Though he clearly disapproves of homosexuality in its entirety, he believes that homosexuals who are truly repentant and remorseful should be allowed to seek the face of God in the Church. Even Jesus himself forgave an adultress and a condemned robber during his lifetime. The Church (and the society at large) should not reject or condemn such people instead it should welcome them with open arms and show them love and kindness. Afterall they were not the ones that chose to be gay, they were born into it.

Once again let me repeat, for the sake of those who find it difficult to understand even the simplest of things and those who like to make mountains out of anthills, the POPE DOES NOT SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE OR HOMOSEXUALITY. ALL HE IS SAYING IS THAT THE SOCIETY SHOULD NOT REJECT THEM. HE IS SAYING THAT THEY SHOULD BE INTEGRATED INTO THE SOCIETY AND OFFERED HELP [/b]

198 likes

Except the part that you said "they were born into it."

I dont believe all who commit homosexuality were born into it.

2 Likes

Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by XOXOlala: 2:00pm On Jul 30, 2013
For the Christians NO one is permitted to judge. Judgment is for God and God only that is my understanding of his message. Beside which is the greatest SIN? Gay, lack of love, killing etc?. So God remain the only one that can mint judgment. I will say that the Pope in this singular message has just play safe just like Jesus did in some point. " if any one of you is free of sin let him cast the first stone" as he bow his head pretending to be writing on the ground (Jesus) and raise his head realized that all the accusers have all disappeared ( the multitude)the prostitute rose and from there she received salvation. Jesus did not want to pronounce the judgment but was diplomatic. If a gay repents and embrace God he goes to heaven. While those of us that pretend and judge them remain in sin will surely go to hell. The Catholic Church in her totality strongly condemns homosexuality and will in now view compromise with it. Never the less we cannot be holier than the Pope. The Pope is not GOD he cannot judge.
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by italo: 2:02pm On Jul 30, 2013

The day I understand this post is the day I join Islam!

cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by italo: 2:04pm On Jul 30, 2013
Yungwizzzy: call a spade a spade Pope. all homosexuals are going to hell!!

What about all liars?

And I'm sure you have told lies before.
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 30, 2013
exxell: [b]All I know is that the Pope made the right assertions. Even Jesus did not crucify Mary Magadala when they brought her for stoning.... Inasmuch as she was ready to repent and not pestilent in sin. Who is the Pope then to judge? The Pope is calling them back to repentance without condemning them outrightly because he knows that comdemning them may mean people going after them to kill them all over the world! Those sttupid reporters that asked him those questions knew exactly what they were doing. The Pope in his great wisdom, answered them correctly like a learned person. He did exactly what a philosopher will do; "SIT ON THE FENCE"! Thats all I got from this. I have one question by the way; "WHY IS IT THAT CATHOLIC BASHING THREADS (EXCLUDING THIS ONE) ALWAYS MAKES NAIRALAND FRONTPAGE? WHY IS IT THAT HOMILIES BY THE POPE, BISHOPS OR PRIESTS DONT MAKE FRONT PAGE? Rather you see "Oyedepo this, Oyedepo that; Adeboye this, Adeboye That; Oyakhilome this, Oyakhilome that! Nawa oo. ARE WE BEING MARGINALISED? LONG LIVE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. THE ONLY CHURCH FOUNDED BY JESUS CHRIST! Glory to Jesus.....[/b]
OK u meant the only ministry found by Jesus and the mother, who is the chairlady? is this not same ministry. where the mother is held at more esteem than the founder.
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by Afam4eva(m): 2:06pm On Jul 30, 2013
The pope just gave a politically correct answer. It's a shame that there's now so much politics in Christendom. We want the pope to tell us whether being GAY is biblical or not.
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 30, 2013
shumax:
Yes i am a catholic and proud of it, I am also praying that the day when a pro gay pope will be elected will never come; but even at that Gay people have never been stoped from recieving the sacraments if they lead chaste lives, the catholic church has always said having homosexual tendencies is not a sin, it is a temptation and we all face temptation, but the sin is in given in to the homosexual act. Dominus vosbiscum
What a confused world... I thought the bible said be not with equal yoke with unbelievers.. The pop that has the power to forgive sin through Facebook, wassup and twitter now suddenly lose power to condemned what is abominable before GOd
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 30, 2013
imagine. how Catholics are defending this man cos d man Don fall en hand for public. nna men en b like say Islam better small

1 Like

Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by ocelot2006(m): 2:10pm On Jul 30, 2013
Not this topic again.....
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by kzokul(m): 2:12pm On Jul 30, 2013
mediachirps: he knows he is a gay too so, he shouldn't judge. he's scared of words, cause those words will be indirectly for him too. a clergy man who can't stand for the words of God he preaches. don't he's Bible has that portion that says " nor homosexual will inherit the kingdom of God " that's why they hardly preach about heaven and hell fire in Catholics.
Who tod u catholics don't preach heaven and hell fire?better say what u knw or else......and besides una wey dey preach heaven and hell fire na private universities wey average pple no fit afford una dey build,private jets wey a whole village no fit buy na wetin 1 pastor dey gt 3 abi.....beta remove d speks 4rm ur eyes b4 removin dt of another man's eyes.....mtcheeeeew
Glory 2 Jesus.... Honour 2 Mary...catholic 4 life
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by IlCapitano(m): 2:13pm On Jul 30, 2013
IYA NGBALI: who cares
I was pointing out that guy's error!
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by IlCapitano(m): 2:14pm On Jul 30, 2013
Movingcoil: imagine. how Catholics are defending this man cos d man Don fall en hand for public. nna men en b like say Islam better small
I'm not Catholic.
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by ugoezeik(m): 2:26pm On Jul 30, 2013
kokoye: He means he is not God.

Who are we to judge when we are not God?

Instead of judging, pray for them.

my opinion sha.

What would Jesus do?
my friend sharapz! If he can't condemned it then why is his followers always ask for forgiveness from priest n reverend, hell await each n everyone who dnt want to condemn
Evil in d house of God
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by Ayomivic(m): 2:34pm On Jul 30, 2013
that shows you don't know what you believed.
So, if you see immam that change to christianity you would change to pagan. Sorry for believers like you.
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by WinkWrld: 2:43pm On Jul 30, 2013
Be mindful, He is God chosen to represent Christianity. In his own accord, he has undoubtedly neglected the condemn of gay people and emphasized on the 'seek of God'. This should send a message to us all that We need God and all other blessing shall be added. DO NOT EVER CONDEMN ANYONE. whom are we to do so. Being Gay is not a crime. Gay lobby is a crime. Let God judge everyone according to their faith.
If you not sure of the meaning of the pope's words, Sit down and pray and allow God direct you. Afterall, understanding the bible needs the Grace of God.
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by akatonero(m): 2:43pm On Jul 30, 2013
The issue of gay rev fathers shud not even arise cos if they know they cnt obey the oath they took dey shud leave the catholic priest hood period. They shud not even bring d issue of gay not to talk of rev fathers dat hv wife.What's all this nonsense?
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by Ayomivic(m): 2:44pm On Jul 30, 2013
If that statement realy comes out of pope's mouth,that shows there is fire on the mountain.

So, former pope resigned because he can not join them. Christians should becareful it is a sign of end time
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by airfinance(m): 2:45pm On Jul 30, 2013
princesammmy: Just imagin[color=#990000][/color]

Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
pope dey for Rome and the book of romans forbids the sinful act...God already know say na rome go be the headqtrs whr pope go dey.what is bad is bad mr pope.
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by WinkWrld: 2:46pm On Jul 30, 2013
ugoezeik: my friend sharapz! If he can't condemned it then why is his followers always ask for forgiveness from priest n reverend, hell await each n everyone who dnt want to condemn
Evil in d house of God

You obviously do not sound wise...following the crowd to condemn man. You should read your bible,.. it takes the Grace of God to understand.
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by airfinance(m): 2:48pm On Jul 30, 2013
sureboykris: soon gay marriage will become acceptable in d catholic church. GOD forbid
I hear say them they shayo inside catholic.so this one no be surprise..
Re: What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? by homegirl1: 2:51pm On Jul 30, 2013
i am a catholic and i must tell you the pope has brought shame on majority of us catholics. even in my church on sunday our preached told us to refrain from sin. so how can pope of all people encourage gay. this is so so bad. cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

As A Devoted Christian Should She Study Islamic Studies In The University? / Pastor Sam Adeyemi And Wife Share Selfie At 'EMERGE' Hosted By Pastor Adefarasin / What Happens After Death? (Christian POV)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.