Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,555 members, 7,850,888 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:34 AM

Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) - Sports (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) (23579 Views)

Team Nigeria At The African Athletics Championship / Nigerian Fans Meeting Ethiopian Fans In Addis Ababa Before The Match (Pictures) / Okagbare Wins Silver In Long Jump At World Athletics Championship, Moscow 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by akintun: 7:02pm On Aug 12, 2013
D way she put her hands on her head was so sad to watch
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by HAH: 7:04pm On Aug 12, 2013
The irony of the race is Shell Ann Frase Pryse is the shortest among them. What would have happened if she has okagbares long legs
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by biolabee(m): 7:04pm On Aug 12, 2013
e4emma:

u caused it, u didnt close ur eyes! faithless generation

wat was her position?

Lol..6th 11.7
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by deene: 7:05pm On Aug 12, 2013
Krasid: I am not so surprised.Not after she did the same thing at the olympics,tearing opponents in the heats and performed woefully in final.There is no need to start sobbing as if she was expected to win.Congrats to Okagbare though.You cannot be more than what you are.

I don't like these kinda comments please
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by airmark(m): 7:05pm On Aug 12, 2013
Krasid: There is no need to start sobbing as if she was expected to win.Congrats to Okagbare though.You cannot be more than what you are.

What did you just say? If Okagbare repeated same feat she did in london diamond league, 10.79 she would be home with silver. She suffered burn-out i guess. I smelt it at her semifinal. All the same she has done well this year, breaking the 100m african record.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by biolabee(m): 7:05pm On Aug 12, 2013
HAH: The irony of the race is Shell Ann Frase Pryse is the shortest among them. What would have happened if she has okagbares long legs

Short legs, extreme fast stride
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 12, 2013
STILL TEAM BLESSING !! kiss

1 Like

Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by deene: 7:07pm On Aug 12, 2013
HAH: The irony of the race is Shell Ann Frase Pryse is the shortest among them. What would have happened if she has okagbares long legs

what will happen is that she will start as slow as Okagbare does ...
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 12, 2013
biolabee:

Short legs, extreme fast stride
Very true. And SAFP had to start very well today, to ward off Blessing.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by akintun: 7:11pm On Aug 12, 2013
She cannot do 4 events 4 sure. D pressure was so much. She should cry out tonight, and have a good rest b4 d 200m
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by deene: 7:14pm On Aug 12, 2013
ahh back to reality ... ahoure has world 100m silver before Okagbare ... shet!!!!

though Okagbare has long jump silver .... 100m is d most important event in athletics
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 12, 2013
akintun: She cannot do 4 events 4 sure. D pressure was so much. She should cry out tonight, and have a good rest b4 d 200m

That means Nigeria won't participate in the 4x100m because the AFN only listed 4 athletes, instead of a maximum 6 athletes for the race.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by biolabee(m): 7:14pm On Aug 12, 2013
CFCfan:
Very true. And SAFP had to start very well today, to ward off Blessing.

Yes oo...that geh was fast mehñnnnnnnnnnnnn
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by e4emma(m): 7:14pm On Aug 12, 2013
But sincerely, it was like Blessing was d only Nigerian taken to Moscow! 170 million naija peeps all hoping on 1 lady; d pressure was kind of much! moreova, she won a silver yestday! though could ve been Gold! she's like C.Ronaldo, she's fantastic, but her competitors are extra-ordinary!
moreova dat's y she's human! Bleep ups happen atimes! its life! common girl, move on!
TEAM BLESSING ALL D WAY!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 12, 2013
ehya..ble ble dissappoints. I was only praying for a miracle,cos her timing was always more than the other winner in other hates. Still teamblessing# If you are a born Nigerian athlete,then you must know what it takes to be in that position. Its not easy.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 12, 2013
The Women's 200m heats start on Thursday at 7:55am. Blessing is expected to be in action there. The semifinals will start at 4:45pm same day.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by adbaba(m): 7:32pm On Aug 12, 2013
I think d pressure was too much on her...d idea is saving d best 4 d last. Dat's wat shelly did.kudos 2 u girl we love u anyways.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Afam4eva(m): 7:32pm On Aug 12, 2013
She came 6th Like seriously?
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by deene: 7:37pm On Aug 12, 2013
now come to think of it ..if blessing had won medals in all three individual events ... won't we be suspicious?

that was exactly was Marion jones tried to do ... we all know ow she achieved it.

there is always a next time ... and she has the 200m to come up ... legoo
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 12, 2013
It's kinda weird that Nigeria has only won one Athletics gold medal at both the Olympics and World Championships combined. No Naija athlete has a World championship gold.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Krasid(m): 7:52pm On Aug 12, 2013
deene:

I don't like these kinda comments please
But it's the truth.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by AyodejiCharles(m): 8:25pm On Aug 12, 2013
Some people say that it is The pressure of 170 million Nigerians. Nope I have to disagree, how many Nigerians do watch Athletics in the First place, Afterall the Ivorian Lady is also the only Ivorian performing excellently in the Finals. I think it has to do more of her personal believe in herself. The psychological pressure of defeating her super fast opponents after her late take off from the blocks is really her undoing especially at a big Stage like this. After all, she defeated all these Same set of Finallists barely six weeks ago.
On a neutral non competitive race , Ahoure will hardly come close to matching the speed of Okagbs on a good day! In fact I think this is the first race that Ahoure is going to finish ahead of Okagbare since the beginning of the year. Suprisingly, this same Ahoure finished ahead of Blessing in the Olympics last year!
So overall I believe it's a personal psychological barrier that is her undoing ,because I am sooo sure that if this was a simple practice session, she would have done better! 6th position? Haba Blessing is not as poor as that Na !
All the same it's going to be easier for her to overcome the Psychological barrier over a longer distance like 200 metres simply because she has more time to cover up on her opponents over time before breasting the tape....... Just like Christene Ohurogu who starts so slow and from no where zooms past her opponents in the last 100 metres, If Christene were to be a 100 metres runner, I am so sure that my junior sisters in primary school will finish ahead of her! lol
Anyways I expect Blessing to FINISH THE 200 metres with at least a 4 METRES GAP ahead of her nearest opponent in the Finals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXsEN-fWgQE&client=mv-google&hl=en&guid=&gl=NG

1 Like

Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by AyodejiCharles(m): 9:13pm On Aug 12, 2013
Michael Johnson, Four-time Olympic
champion & BBC Sport pundit (opinion before the race )
"Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce is the one to beat.
She handles competition really well. Jamaicans
have this ability to come into major
championships without any pressure. It is
something that is built into Jamaican society
with their relaxed atmosphere and they're
able to come into competition and deliver on
track."
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by akintun: 9:48pm On Aug 12, 2013
I just checked d history books, and noticed dat wat blessing tried to do was pure madness . Competing in d LJ after d 100m has been done b4, but no one in history has had success doing d LJ finals b4 d 100m. It just shows dat it was just too much, especially wen competing against world class athletes.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by AyodejiCharles(m): 10:39pm On Aug 12, 2013
These British Journalists are the Craziest on earth!
Check out some of thier commentaries on BBC sports Site ;

Gabby Logan, BBC Sport athletics presenter
"If you need cheering up, just go to the BBC
Sport website and watch Christine win the
race again, and again, and again."

So let's strip away the emotion and deal with
the bare details of what has gone on today.
Christine Ohuruogu's 400m gold was one of six
titles won today. Can you remember the other
five? I can't and I have been sitting here for
them all, but a quick scan back thorough
reminds me that they were; David Oliver of
the United States on the 110m hurdles,
Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce of Jamaica in the
100m, Raphael Holzdeppe of Germany in the
pole vault, Pawel Fajdek of Poland in the
men's hammer and Valerie Adams of New
Zealand in the shot put.

Amantle Monthso still looks in a state of
shock. Not a situation helped by being
handed a small cuddly mascot along with her
silver medal. The Botswanan spent some time
looking at it in CONFUSION!

The Race Of A Fighter! >>>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cAN4mfY2vM
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by chic2pimp(m): 10:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
AyodejiCharles:
Anyways I expect Blessing to FINISH THE 200 metres with at least a 4 METRES GAP ahead of her nearest opponent in the Finals!
You'll have to inject the likes of Allyson Felix and Shelly Ann with some sort of deadly disease for that to happen.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Afam4eva(m): 10:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
If Okagbare actually broke the African record despite coming 6th, isn't it safe to say that she didn't do badly compared with her own record. let's compare the time she ran and her previous lowest time. At times we should not expect people to perform magic. That's why i wasn't really surprised when she didn't do well at the olympic games cos her fastest time wasn't something that could win one a gold medal in the female 100 meters race.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by chic2pimp(m): 11:03pm On Aug 12, 2013
Afam4eva: If Okagbare actually broke the African record despite coming 6th, isn't it safe to say that she didn't do badly compared with her own record. let's compare the time she ran and her previous lowest time. At times we should not expect people to perform magic. That's why i wasn't really surprised when she didn't do well at the olympic games cos her fastest time wasn't something that could win one a gold medal in the female 100 meters race.

Nah She ran an African Record of 10.79 which would have by some safe distance won her a Silver Medal here.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by bambostic: 12:53am On Aug 13, 2013
http://makingofchampions.net/2013/08/12/blessing-and-the-asafa-powell-syndrome/

If Blessing Okagbare delighted Nigerians yesterday with the nation’s first World Championship medal since 1999, the 100 metre final today was to end in disappointment for Blessing and the millions of Nigerians who would have tuned into the race to see if she could possibly challenge the mercurial Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce for the title, as she had been threatening to all season. Unfortunately for Blessing, she finished a disappointing sixth in a performance quite reminiscent of her eighth place finish in the Olympic 100m Finals last year. Similar to last year, Blessing came into the big championship after a great season that set her apart as a serious medal contender in the 100m. This season her performances have been even more emphatic than the last – when you think that in every single one of her races this season over the 100m, she finished in either 1st or 2nd position, only losing to Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (but getting closer to her with each race), one could have been forgiven for quietly hoping that she could upset the diminutive Jamaican in Moscow. Certainly Blessing was a shoe-in for at least the Silver medal, especially after breaking the African record twice in one day, with 10.86s and 10.79s runs in the space of 90 minutes at the London Anniversary Games two weeks ago. If she had reproduced either of those runs she would be the silver medalist right now…

So what went wrong for Blessing? Was it that the long jump competition yesterday took a lot out of her, so she couldn’t produce her best 100m today? Did she pick up a knock of some sort from the long jump? Her 100m rounds seemed like she was running well within herself and conserving her energy for the final, so how come she could not produce the goods when it mattered the most? Everyone who watches women’s sprinting at the moment will know that Blessing is not the greatest starter and will not be at the front of the race after 50 or 60 metres, but much like Christine Ohuruogu in the 400 metres (congratulations to her on the win today!), she will catch all the other girls before the line, unless they get a start like Shelly-Ann did today. For Blessing, after 50 or 60 metres today, she was exactly where she always is in her races at that stage, but at that point she seemed to drop her head – that drive to the line that has become her trademark evaporated. Either the energy just wasn’t there (which I doubt was the case, after seeing how she put those two races she put together at the London Anniversary Games) or perhaps this was because she could see that Shelly-Ann was well ahead and was not going to be caught?

If the latter is the case, then it casts the mind back to Asafa Powell, who went into multiple Olympic Games and World Championships as one of the favourites for GOLD, but often finished with nothing, after more or less giving up during races after realizing that he wasn’t going to win – I reckon that he probably threw away a Silver or Bronze on a couple of occasions because he mentally gave up after realizing he wasn’t going to get the GOLD. Luckily for him, he eventually won a couple of Bronze medals at the World Champs, but there was a 4 year period (for 3 of those years he was the World Record Holder) where he should have won everything available to him before Usain Bolt showed up. Unfortunately for Blessing, after failing to deliver a medal in two consecutive global finals where she had strong prospects, it may take her some time to shake off the tag of someone who doesn’t deliver when it matters the most. She is in that 4-year period where she needs to be wresting the 100m mantle away from the likes of Shelly-Ann and her training partner Carmelita Jeter. Come Rio 2016, who knows how good the young Americans who all made today’s final (English Gardner, Alexandria Anderson and Octavious Freeman) are going to be, and who knows who else is going to show up in women’s sprinting by then. This should have been Blessing’s moment to shine, to strike while the iron is hot…

The London 2012 final would have been disappointing for her, but this one will hurt even more because she will know that if she had executed the way she can, in the form that she’s been in this year, she would be Nigeria’s first ever medalist in the individual 100 metres right now. Now she has to wait 2 years for another opportunity to be in this position, and even if she is the best in the world by then, there will be question marks as to whether she has the temperament for the big moment, until she actually wins a global title or medal in the 100 metres. Luckily for Blessing, she has an immediate chance to put things right for herself later this week in the 200 metres, the event I have always thought is going to be her better event. If Blessing was reading this, I would encourage her to put today behind her very quickly and come out like a wounded lionness for the 200 metres. She will desperately need it now, to immediately put to bed any self-doubt that would be creeping in now about her own ability to deliver on the biggest stage. I still believe that Blessing is going to take Mary Onyali’s 200 metre African Record of 22.07s this week enroute to a medal in that event. All the talk will be about Allyson Felix and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce going head to head for GOLD in that event, but I would urge all Nigerians to put their support fully behind her, so that she can put today’s performance behind her as quickly as possible.

For Nigeria, if anything today has shown, it is that we must STOP relying on only one athlete for Track & Field success by implementing a world-class program at home, that will allow us rival the Americans and Jamaicans on a consistent basis. Jamaica had 4 men in the 100m final yesterday and ended up with 2 medals there, while the US had 4 women in today’s final and finished with one medal. It should be noted that the Afro-Caribbeans and African Americans who currently dominate sprinting are mostly descended from West Africa, so essentially there is a lot more of that same talent they have wasting away in West Africa, where Nigeria should be leading the way with a population of 170 million (compared to Jamaica’s population of just 3 million)! When will Nigeria once again start producing multiple sub-10 men and sub-11 women who can do the country proud consistently on the global stage? Only time will tell!

3 Likes

Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by biolabee(m): 7:20am On Aug 13, 2013
@bambo excellent writeup
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Afam4eva(m): 7:55am On Aug 13, 2013
If not that we have pseudo useless people as leaders, we would have gone to learn how the Jamaicans with a population of just 3 million have managed to dominate the sprints. At times i just feel that Nigeria is a big for nothing country. There's nothing to show for being so large. How is it that out of over 150million NIgerians, we'll put all our hopes on Blessing Okagbare. It's a shame really. We need to wake up and get cracking.

1 Like

Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by biolabee(m): 4:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
Perishakey thru to the 400m hurdle final..

The American is strong..

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (36) (Reply)

Maradona, Messi, Kanu Nwankwo To Play Anti-terrorism Match In Nigeria / Why Do Nigerians Dislike Genort Rohr / Messi Re-elected Barcelona Captain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.