Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,928 members, 7,828,216 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation (33570 Views)

Desmond Elliot & Lagos House Of Assembly Members At US Conference (Photos) / Desmond Elliot Shares Photo Of His First Sitting At The Lagos House Of Assembly / Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by plaindealer: 8:19am On Aug 06, 2013
Jaidey-one:
really? Your arguement is bereft of logical reasoning. A dress code for public officials is a bad policy? How could you even compare this dress code issue to the child marriage case? You need a knock on the head for being so unreasonable.
Btw when next you have an interview/official presentation to attend. Be sure to wear your agbada or dansiki. Showcase your cultural heritage.

LMAO. Cultural interview..

Sounds like they are talking just for the heck of it..
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by plaindealer: 8:22am On Aug 06, 2013
antartica:

You guys tend to forget that suits is the cultural heritage of the oyinbos.
a fashion designed by them to suit their taste and environment and its unquestionable infallibility for african work environment is what you are not proving.

How is suit and tie better than casual kaftan in a bank?

No, it's not. They did not start off wearing suits, whatever they had before metamorphosed into what they are wearing now based on looks comfort and practicality.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 06, 2013
Very wrong to call our attire 'Archaic'.

I dont find this funny.

3 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by antartica(m): 8:34am On Aug 06, 2013
plaindealer:

No, it's not. They did not start off wearing suits, whatever they had before metamorphosed into what they are wearing now based on looks comfort and practicality.

Metamorphosis like you said is the process of change,innovation and if you don't have anything to call your own to change,you won't metamorphosize.

I agree flowing agbada is not very practical for physical work but good enough for meetings,conferences and ceremonies,just like suits and tie.While a simple designed shokoto and top is more practical than suit/tie in a corporate working hot environment like nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Jaideyone(m): 8:36am On Aug 06, 2013
antartica:

You guys tend to forget that suits is the cultural heritage of the oyinbos,a fashion designed by them to suit their taste and environment and its unquestionable infallibility for african work environment is what you are not proving.

How is suit and tie better than casual kaftan in a bank?
if you are hell bent on showcasing your cultural heritage at every given time then by all means get rid of your non-cultural clothes, U can trek to work or better still ride a donkey. We are quick ti embrace planes, cars, computers and mobile phones but we still feel dressing to work the western way is not African. Its African. Its the global trend and it should be embraced. There should be dress codes for public officials and its the norm all over the world. Take a look at pictures from AU summits and tell me how many countries are trying to showcase their cultural heritage. The same public officials showcasing the so called cultural heritage wear agbada and launder our money into foreign bank accounts. Why should doctors, lawyers, bankers, etc wear suits and western clothings when the public officials are exempted? Shouldn't we cease every given opportunity to show case our cultural heritage Or are these the only people that should be mentally enslaved like u claim?

Suits and ties are no longer western culture, just the same way English is now a global language. Its either we embrace civilization or we get left behind while embracing our cultural heritage.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by plaindealer: 8:43am On Aug 06, 2013
antartica:

Metamorphosis like you said is the process of change,innovation and if you don't have anything to call your own to change,you won't metamorphosize.

I agree flowing agbada is not very practical for physical work but good enough for meetings,conferences and ceremonies,just like suits and tie.While a simple designed shokoto and top is more practical than suit/tie in a corporate working hot environment like nigeria.

Changes and innovations cuts both ways and the fact that they issued a dress code at your job doesn't meant your culture is gone or you can not wear your agbada elsewhere or practice your culture off work. Your job is not a cultural center.

geeezzz..
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by biafranqueen: 8:43am On Aug 06, 2013
This is very professional

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by biafranqueen: 8:44am On Aug 06, 2013
For My Guys

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Jaideyone(m): 8:45am On Aug 06, 2013
plaindealer:

Changes and innovations cuts both ways and the fact that they issued a dress code at your job doesn't meant your culture is gone or you can not wear your agbada elsewhere or practice your culture off work. Your job is not a cultural center.

geeezzz..

Except of course she works in a museum. Lol grin
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by antartica(m): 8:45am On Aug 06, 2013
Jaidey-one:

if you are hell bent on showcasing your cultural heritage at every given time then by all means get rid of your non-cultural clothes, U can trek to work or better still ride a donkey. We are quick ti embrace planes, cars, computers and mobile phones but we still feel dressing to work the western way is not African. Its African. Its the global trend and it should be embraced. There should be dress codes for public officials and its the norm all over the world. Take a look at pictures from AU summits and tell me how many countries are trying to showcase their cultural heritage. The same public officials showcasing the so called cultural heritage wear agbada and launder our money into foreign bank accounts. Why should doctors, lawyers, bankers, etc wear suits and western clothings when the public officials are exempted? Shouldn't we cease every given opportunity to show case our cultural heritage Or are these the only people that should be mentally enslaved like u claim?

Suits and ties are no longer western culture, just the same way English is now a global language. Its either we embrace civilisation or we get left behind while embracing our cultural heritage.

Just because english language and oyinbo fashion is global still does not mean it is your heritage.A strong message is still been sent out there to tell you that they,the oyinbos, are the light of the world and the rest like you must abide and follow.

It doesn't have to be like that,no one culture is main to dominate the other,unless of course the people of the dominated culture are dead mentally and that spells a lot doom just like in the case of today's africa.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by plaindealer: 8:46am On Aug 06, 2013
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by LOVEHAPPINESS: 8:50am On Aug 06, 2013
biafranqueen: For My Guys

I cannot see your pictures.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by biafranqueen: 8:50am On Aug 06, 2013
Whats wrong with this in a professional setting? Except just add a shirt to the last pic tongue

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by biafranqueen: 8:53am On Aug 06, 2013
LOVE.HAPPINESS:

I cannot see your pictures.
Let me check
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Jaideyone(m): 8:56am On Aug 06, 2013
antartica:

Just because english language and oyinbo fashion is global still does not mean it is your heritage.A strong message is still been sent out there to tell you that they,the oyinbos, are the light of the world and the rest like you must abide and follow.

It doesn't have to be like that,no one culture is main to dominate the other,unless of course the people of the dominated culture are dead mentally and that spells a lot doom just like in the case of today's africa.
lol you might be so reluctant to accept the fact that they are the light of the world but one thing is sure. If white men didn't bring civilization you'll be on your way to the farm with cutlass and hoe grin
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by biafranqueen: 9:00am On Aug 06, 2013
antartica:

What is funny they follow us

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by antartica(m): 9:00am On Aug 06, 2013
Jaidey-one:
lol you might be so reluctant to accept the fact that they are the light of the world but one thing is sure. If white men didn't bring civilization you'll be on your way to the farm with cutlass and hoe grin

And what about that? The key thing is to stay alive harmoniously and protect the environment without all the perverted technology and pollutions that turn out to more curse to humanity that living the simple way.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by LOVEHAPPINESS: 9:00am On Aug 06, 2013
biafranqueen: Let me check

I can see them now.

I will only say that you have strong tastes. That pink suit might get you into trouble in Naija.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by biafranqueen: 9:04am On Aug 06, 2013
Jaidey-one:
Really according to Discovery channel they would not have evolved without us grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRfWU-ZpLZ8
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Jaideyone(m): 9:04am On Aug 06, 2013
antartica:

And what about that? The key thing is to stay alive harmoniously and protect the environment without all the perverted technology and pollutions that turn out to more curse to humanity that living the simple way.
wow so technology is a curse to humanity? Start by smashing that phone/computer/tablet or whatever U are using wink and please stick to your Yoruba or igbo everywhere U go. Sell you car and get a donkey. When next you are sick don't visit a hospital. By all means say no to mental slavery cheesy
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by biafranqueen: 9:05am On Aug 06, 2013
LOVE.HAPPINESS:

I can see them now.

I will only say that you have strong tastes. That pink suit might get you into trouble in Naija.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Jaideyone(m): 9:08am On Aug 06, 2013
biafranqueen: Really according to Discovery channel they would not have evolved without us grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRfWU-ZpLZ8

really? How come we've been left behind
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Maxymilliano(m): 9:09am On Aug 06, 2013
Same Lagos State House of Assembly that adopted the use of Yoruba on Thursdays for legislative business now enforcing a dress code.

Question is will it affect the quality of legislation or just playing to the gallery ?

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:21am On Aug 06, 2013
Maxymilliano: Same Lagos State House of Assembly that adopted the use of Yoruba on Thursdays for legislative business now enforcing a dress code.

Question is will it affect the quality of legislation or just playing to the gallery ?

They actually speak in yoruba on thursdays, perhaps they should re-write the laws of the land in yoruba and take to fringes of lagos where yorubas reside grin grin I know say quarrel go start now

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by antartica(m): 9:23am On Aug 06, 2013
Jaidey-one:
wow so technology is a curse to humanity? Start by smashing that phone/computer/tablet or whatever U are using wink and please stick to your Yoruba or igbo everywhere U go. Sell you car and get a donkey. When next you are sick don't visit a hospital. By all means say no to mental slavery cheesy

Perverted means the bad technologies and pollutions which seems to outnumber the good ones,a mistakengly triggered nuclear war head today can obliterate massive population of the earth in a flash.

And one thing that you fail to understand is that man can do without those flimsy things that trips you,phones,computer tablets and co,but the fact that they are readily available makes you think you can't do without.Man adapts to whatever situation it finds himself and he can equally adapt to living without technology that will in turn safeguard him from pollutions and imminent self destruction.

Don't be taken by oyinbo ways,it is not always the best.

3 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by homesteady(m): 9:33am On Aug 06, 2013
IMO! I don't think we should drop our traditional attires for suit and tie!
Come on!! We've already lost enough to foreign cultures!!
Our traditional attires is what reminds me that I'm a Nigerian!! Because I can't even speak my local language! It was just last month I made my 1st traditional attire for like about 18years or so!
So if they should adopt the dress code of suit and ties! Then I may think I'm american

3 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by biafranqueen: 9:36am On Aug 06, 2013
It really amazes me how we dislike ourselves I get more likes on my facebook from Oyinbo when I wear my Ankara. A day never goes by that they will not compliment my big a$$ Afro "I love your hair its so awesome" I represent at trade shows with some type of African attire they always have to come an compliment me on my style. We should really appreciate ourselves. Even though sometimes at the hotel conventions when we wear lace and gele they will come to me and say "I love your Costume" grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by biafranqueen: 9:39am On Aug 06, 2013
homesteady: IMO! I don't think we should drop our traditional attires for suit and tie!
Come on!! We've already lost enough to foreign cultures!!
Our traditional attires is what reminds me that I'm a Nigerian!! Because I can't even speak my local language! It was just last month I made my 1st traditional attire for like about 18years or so!
So if they should adopt the dress code of suit and ties! Then I may think I'm american
Welcome back bro does it not feel good to have something tailor made to your body that fits you perfect

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by biafranqueen: 9:44am On Aug 06, 2013
Jaidey-one:

really? How come we've been left behind
Self Hate we are busy being good at tribalism, focusing on materialistic goals and not working together as a people. We don't read unless we are forced, we are ok with mediocrity and we have a bad case of show offism our main down fall. How many Nigerians have I-Phone and Black Berry but no savings or investment? If my sisters would use that Brazilian hair money and invest it every month they would surprise you!
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by antartica(m): 9:44am On Aug 06, 2013
biafranqueen: It really amazes me how we dislike ourselves I get more likes on my facebook from Oyinbo when I wear my Ankara. A day never goes by that they will not compliment my big a$$ Afro "I love your hair its so awesome" I represent at trade shows with some type of African attire they always have to come an compliment me on my style. We should really appreciate ourselves. Even though sometimes at the hotel conventions when we wear lace and gele they will come to me and say "I love your Costume" grin grin grin

How come you don't show off the costumes here on nairaland?or are we talking about the same thing here of facebook being better than nairaland?

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by biafranqueen: 9:49am On Aug 06, 2013
antartica:

How come you don't show off the costumes here on nairaland?or are we talking about the same thing here of facebook being better than nairaland?
hahaha this is suppose to be a faceless forum I don't talk too much on Facebook only a couple people know my real identity on this forum wink
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by antartica(m): 9:54am On Aug 06, 2013
biafranqueen: hahaha this is suppose to be a faceless forum I don't talk too much on Facebook

Ok,i understand you are protecting your cover.Smart.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Demola Adeleke: I Went Back To School When People Said I Had No WAEC Certificate / Buhari Hosts Zuma To A State Banquet; Osinbajo, Atiku, Tinubu Joins / Governor Ambode Moves Against LGA Chairmen, Might Seize Allocations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.