Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,127 members, 7,835,800 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation (33580 Views)

Desmond Elliot & Lagos House Of Assembly Members At US Conference (Photos) / Desmond Elliot Shares Photo Of His First Sitting At The Lagos House Of Assembly / Desmond Elliot To Contest For Lagos House Of Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Rossikk(m): 5:07pm On Aug 06, 2013
defhenry: My brother, if we are so brainwashed, why do we use cash and not cowries?y are you on a computer or mobile fone typing your opinion rather than arguing it out in the village square?y do we not trek to work or go on horses and camels?The truth is, the world is a global village, the sooner we learn to accept that the better for us.

Your argument is baseless. That you use cash instead of cowries does not imply you should wear a suit instead of your indigenous outfit. Unless you are a programmed robot who cannot think. Indians use computers even more than you do, and have a world class software industry that surpasses that of most western nations, but no one there is running around asking everyone to wear a western suit and tie in their blazing heat. The Indians and other tropical societies realise that being in a ''global village'' does not mean you let go of your brain.

[img]http://www.thesundayleader.lk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/indian_parliament.jpg[/img]
Indian Parliamentarians

7 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by devour129: 5:14pm On Aug 06, 2013
Rossikk:

Your argument is baseless. That you use cash instead of cowries does not imply you should wear a suit instead of your indigenous outfit. Unless you are a programmed robot who cannot think. Indians use computers even more than you do, and have a world class software industry that surpasses that of most western nations, but no one there is running around asking everyone to wear a western suit and tie in their blazing heat. The Indians and other tropical societies realise that being in a ''global village'' does not mean you let go of your brain.
that guy or girl deserve a hot slap. Carry on Rossikk,you are a smart guy.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by true2talk(m): 5:24pm On Aug 06, 2013
you are very correct my brother. the guy must be an allien.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 06, 2013
A possible banking crisis has been announced and nigerians are debating about politicians' dress code

NIGERIANS ARE INTELLECTUALLY THE LOWEST OF HUMANITY!! DUMB, STUPID, PROUD AND IGNORANT OF THEIR ENVIRONMENT!!!!!
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 06, 2013
bukatyne:

Can you explain what is 'foreign Wears'

The cool stuffs happening in the fashion industry, are they not inspired by foreign concepts? Is it not foreign styles made with Ankara or is it the material that makes it African?

Let me guess, it is ok to sew a suit or dinner gown with Ankara right?

Foreign wears need not be explained; the thread is about suits, shirts and ties amongst other things. Whether it is ok to sew suits with ankara or not is not important, and there's no right or wrong answer to that. What I don't get is why the Lagos state government seeks to make the use of suits,shirts and ties mandatory. And why we have Nigerians on Nairaland lauding the policy based on the most silly reasons one can ever think of.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 06, 2013
Bob Marley said it all. "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12QZDSaBfps

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by bukatyne(f): 5:41pm On Aug 06, 2013
ekwah:

Foreign wears need not be explained; the thread is about suits, shirts and ties amongst other things. Whether it is ok to sew suits with ankara or not is not important, and there's no right or wrong answer to that. What I don't get is why the Lagos state government seeks to make the use of suits,shirts and ties mandatory. And why we have Nigerians on Nairaland lauding the policy based on the most silly reasons one can ever think of.

They need to be dear. Everyone is saying that our dresses can be modified... to what exactly?

What is your problem with suits? that is a foreign cloth right?

Will you still feel this way if Ankara was used to sew the suit?

I don't care about the policy; what irks me is this victim's mentality we have.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Smooyis(m): 5:51pm On Aug 06, 2013
Jaidey-one:
really? Your arguement is bereft of logical reasoning. A dress code for public officials is a bad policy? How could you even compare this dress code issue to the child marriage case? You need a knock on the head for being so unreasonable.
Btw when next you have an interview/official presentation to attend. Be sure to wear your agbada or dansiki. Showcase your cultural heritage.
Thank you broda. People just pretend to be what they are not. I think we Nigerians are the greatest pretenders, and jokers of all time. To start with, 99% of what we are is foreign including our dressing. Check out your daily living and you will be amazed at how unafrican you are. From the crown of your head male or female to the sole of your feet is foreign. I mean your hairdo, trousers, jeans, T shirts, belts, wrist watch, Handsets singlets, boxers, pants etc the list is endless. We keep talking about Nigerian or African culture, but what is cultural about our way of life. Even the way we speak is already adultrated. Many of us cannot speak our original dialets without dilluting it English phrases.
Wearing suits and english dresses does not mean anyone is unafrican as many would want us believe. Rather its a way of adjusting to the current realities of the day.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 06, 2013
bukatyne:

They need to be dear. Everyone is saying that our dresses can be modified... to what exactly?

What is your problem with suits? that is a foreign cloth right?

Will you still feel this way if Ankara was used to sew the suit?

I don't care about the policy; what irks me is this victim's mentality we have.

Actually I don't have a problem with wearing suits; I rock them from time to time just as I do with my trads. What annoys me are these:
1) use of suits = civilization and the use of trads is backwards. (what kind of mentality is that?)
2) Why they had to make the use of suits Mandatory? why? Must everyone wear suits or shirts+ tie to offices? I personally see nothing wrong with what Okorocha or Mr Okafor has on for example.
3) People coming up with very ridiculous points to support the policy.

The use of ankara to sew suits doesn't really change the way I feel about the policy. People and government officials can put on other really nice and fitting attires to offices and still get to do their jobs well without problems.

Besides Nigerians are not known to be great suit designers. The policy has a negative economic consequence to it too.

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by plaindealer: 6:26pm On Aug 06, 2013
Rossikk:

''Today'', it is probably hotter in ENGLAND than in Nigeria. Why? Because the temperate regions of the world are experiencing their usual two months a year SUMMER, after which they're back to the COLD. So using ''today's'' temperatures in Japan or China as opposed to their year-round temperature, shows you are a deceiver, but we are far smarter than you take us for.

Regarding weather and clothing, you are still not making any sense imply because wearing a suit in a hot country like Nigeria is better than wearing and covering the whole of your body with 3 level babariga or agbada with cap on top to cover your head so you are not making any sense with the weather argument.

What do you wear to job interviews in Nigeria? Do you wear Agbada abi rapa and gele to showcase your culture?

Do you have richer culture than other African countries like SA, Ghana and others where their leaders wear suits everyday and to official functions?

Saying wearing common shirts, pants or suits in the workplace is a threat to your culture is a reflection of your own personal insecutities and fickle- mindedness.

Your place of work is not a cultural center. Abeg get over yourself with your bogus nonsense and insecurities..

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Inoknowbook: 6:41pm On Aug 06, 2013
Rossikk: What a lousy, illiterate write-up by a colonised mental slave with no sense of dignity, self-worth, or independence.

The audacity this pig has to equate African attire with 'uncivilization' and western attire with 'civilization' alone is enough to confine him to a mental hospital for the severely reta.rded. Worse is his smug assurance that he can actually equate his self-hatred to some sort of 'enlightenment', positing that our traditional attire were created ''hundreds of years ago''. Well the western suit WAS invented 'hundreds of years ago' too, and, like African wear, has only been modified as the years progressed. Why can't this goat advocate a more 'work-friendly' transitional process for African wear if that's his thing, if not for his colonised self hatred? Just as this goat is happy to import his language, his religion, his eating habits, his car, he also wants to jettison his indigenous wear for imported clothes alone. How long before pigs like this begin to advocate for mass skin bleaching of all Africans to ensure we ''meet up'' with the light skinned colour of ''civilization''? It seems all we've got left to remind us of who we are is the skin colour. Don't bet against self-hating orang outangs and swine like this writer campaigning to shed that too.

Finally, the writer's claim that ''The wearing of cap is not indigenous to any ethnic group in Nigeria'' shows his GROSS HISTORICAL ILLITERACY, and that he is an absolute DUNCE where it concerns Nigerian/African history. A walking white dunce in black skin. An embarrassment to every living African, and a caricature representation of the bamboozled slave steeped in ignorance and self-loathing. The sooner his loathsome ilk die away from our independent society the better for us all.

Rossikk, Rossikk, Rossikk, how many times did I call you? I wonder why you resort to name calling and very abusive words whenever you make comments. I would have given you a 100 percent on the above comment, but for the fact that you resorted to your favorite uncouth language that we have come to know you with on this forum. Though the so called article by Mr Onwubiko was very stupid and condescending to say the least, nevertheless, he is entitled to his opinion. You took the shine out of a very reasonable rebuttal by being very abusive. When will you learn to behave and act your age? By the way, this is the very first sensible comment you are making in a very long while, but, alas, you ended up ruining it.

3 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 06, 2013
plaindealer:

Regarding weather and clothing, you are still not making any sense imply because wearing a suit in a hot country like Nigeria is better than wearing and covering the whole of your body with 3 level babariga or agbada with cap on top to cover your head so you are not making any sense with the weather argument.

What do you wear to job interviews in Nigeria? Do you wear Agbada abi rapa and gele to showcase your culture?

Do you have richer culture than other African countries like SA, Ghana and others where their leaders wear suits everyday and to official functions?
Saying wearing common shirts, pants or suits in the workplace is a threat to your culture is a reflection of your own personal insecutities and fickle- mindedness.
Your place of work is not a cultural center. Abeg get over yourself with your bogus nonsense and insecurities..

Okay dude, you are missing the point. People wear shirts and pants all the time. Answer these questions:

1) What is so special about the use of suits? And how does that help solve the issues we currently face in our economy.
I can argue that the use of trads has a more positive economic impact on the local industry than the use of suits. undecided

2) Haven't you seen traditional wears that are suitable for office use before? Why exactly do you kick so hard against it's usage?
Why exactly would you support a policy that makes the use of suits mandatory. (note the bolded) Why in the world should it be mandatory? Or do you sell suits or have a friend that imports them?

2) who sets the rules about what dress is official and what is not? All we are saying is simple: the use of suits should NOT be mandatory. We should be using insecurities as a point against you and not the other way round.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Neddyogu(m): 7:50pm On Aug 06, 2013
Rossikk: What a lousy, illiterate write-up by a colonised mental slave with no sense of dignity, self-worth, or independence.

The audacity this pig has to equate African attire with 'uncivilization' and western attire with 'civilization' alone is enough to confine him to a mental hospital for the severely reta.rded. Worse is his smug assurance that he can actually equate his self-hatred to some sort of 'enlightenment', positing that our traditional attire were created ''hundreds of years ago''. Well the western suit WAS invented 'hundreds of years ago' too, and, like African wear, has only been modified as the years progressed. Why can't this goat advocate a more 'work-friendly' transitional process for African wear if that's his thing, if not for his colonised self hatred? Just as this goat is happy to import his language, his religion, his eating habits, his car, he also wants to jettison his indigenous wear for imported clothes alone. How long before pigs like this begin to advocate for mass skin bleaching of all Africans to ensure we ''meet up'' with the light skinned colour of ''civilization''? It seems all we've got left to remind us of who we are is the skin colour. Don't bet against self-hating orang outangs and swine like this writer campaigning to shed that too.

Finally, the writer's claim that ''The wearing of cap is not indigenous to any ethnic group in Nigeria'' shows his GROSS HISTORICAL ILLITERACY, and that he is an absolute DUNCE where it concerns Nigerian/African history. A walking white dunce in black skin. An embarrassment to every living African, and a caricature representation of the bamboozled slave steeped in ignorance and self-loathing. The sooner his loathsome ilk die away from our independent society the better for us all.

Ife noble wearing a cap, 12th century

[img]http://img1.nairaland.com/attachments/306903_Benin_Art_2_jpgf1b2119836e93a9b113b5cd337a41008[/img]
Ancient Benin, 14th century

Igbo Ukwu Chief wearing cap, dated 12th century. This man is from the writer's own ethnic region/group.
A milliön Likes!

3 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Anvaller: 7:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
bukatyne:

Can you explain what is 'foreign Wears'

The cool stuffs happening in the fashion industry, are they not inspired by foreign concepts? Is it not foreign styles made with Ankara or is it the material that makes it African?

Let me guess, it is ok to sew a suit or dinner gown with Ankara right?

Let me spell it out for u. If u sew a suit or dinner gown with Ankara and u are able to sell it, it becomes an invention. U are selling a product that has never been sold or never existed. Why can't u guys think? The 1st T.V was not flat screen but because some ppl are not limited in there thinking, they went ahead and created a flat screen T.V. Though it is still a T.V but it was a kind of T.V that never existed which makes it an invention and u all bought it.

Can u start thinking along this line instead of just thinking its only the white man that is capable of doing something new? Coffee is invented by a black Sudanese but the white folks took it and started refining it, they never thought there is nothing more they could do with coffee despite the fact that it wasn't their invention. I just wish we stopped seeing things only at the periphery.

2 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by eaglechild: 9:58pm On Aug 06, 2013
Jaidey-one:

[b]if you are hell bent on showcasing your cultural heritage at every given time then by all means get rid of your non-cultural clothes, U can trek to work or better still ride a donkey. We are quick ti embrace planes, cars, computers and mobile phones but we still feel dressing to work the western way is not African. [/b]Its African. Its the global trend and it should be embraced. There should be dress codes for public officials and its the norm all over the world. Take a look at pictures from AU summits and tell me how many countries are trying to showcase their cultural heritage. The same public officials showcasing the so called cultural heritage wear agbada and launder our money into foreign bank accounts. Why should doctors, lawyers, bankers, etc wear suits and western clothings when the public officials are exempted? Shouldn't we cease every given opportunity to show case our cultural heritage Or are these the only people that should be mentally enslaved like u claim?

Suits and ties are no longer western culture, just the same way English is now a global language. Its either we embrace civilization or we get left behind while embracing our cultural heritage.

U are utterly moronic by your very stupid analogy of equating trekking to being African.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Reference(m): 10:19pm On Aug 06, 2013
And you wonder why tribalism and tribal supremacy rules unabated. Everyone scared of losing his cultural identity but rather uses it as a weapon of hate and oppresion.

Who do we impress with our cultural diversity in the 21st century when the rest of the world is unifying across cultures and civilisations.

Even the japanese widely considered to have the purest of cultures know how to dress to work and take life a whole lot more seriously.

We have serious problems in this country. Everything wrong with the black man is represented and amplified here.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Reference(m): 10:37pm On Aug 06, 2013
What we need is the kind of cultural revolution Mao instituted in China to put an end to this so called cultural diversity that has brought us nothing but corruption, blood letting and endless development sapping feuds.

If I may venture, mass basic literacy at all levels then a complete ban on the use of vernacular in public. This rubbish has got to stop.
These cultural symbols are dead weights to any attempt to move this nation forward.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by plaindealer: 11:03pm On Aug 06, 2013
ekwah:

People wear shirts and pants all the time.

So according to your admission, people wear shirts and pants all the time, so what's now the big deal wearing it to work everyday? Are you hired to work and make a living or to promote and worry about your culture? Get your priorities starlight.

1) What is so special about the use of suits? And how does that help solve the issues we currently face in our economy.
I can argue that the use of trads has a more positive economic impact on the local industry than the use of suits.

This is not about what's special and not special, this is about your employer crating a uniform and balanced professional look in a professional environment across the state civil service.

2) Haven't you seen traditional wears that are suitable for office use before? Why exactly do you kick so hard against it's usage?
Why exactly would you support a policy that makes the use of suits mandatory. (note the bolded) Why in the world should it be mandatory? Or do you sell suits or have a friend that imports them?

You employer can mandate your dress code and they have dress codes at my job too like millions of jobs all over. If your culture and wearing babariga everyday is your primary concern and not your daily bread and your employer, sue your employer or go look for another job wear they allow people like you to wear your culture to work and all over your face.. it's your choice..

2) who sets the rules about what dress is official and what is not? All we are saying is simple: the use of suits should NOT be mandatory. We should be using insecurities as a point against you and not the other way round.

Your employer as your boss and the source of your daily bread has every power and authority to dictate to you what's allowed and not allowed regarding what you wear to work.

You are culturally insecure and paranoid because you think wearing shirts and pants to work for 8 little hours a day takes away your culture which I find very silly and childish.

You go to job interviews wearing suits and ties for one simple reason which is the fact that such clothing is the preferred attire and professional look so why all of a sudden you are against the same look simply because they want you to look exactly the way you looked when you interview for the job?

Again, your place of work is a place of work, not your cultural center or where you get paid to worry about your culture.

You are not only culturally paranoid and insecure, you are a freeking hypocrite too...
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by plaindealer: 11:05pm On Aug 06, 2013
And you wonder why Lagos state is living the rest of the country behind....
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Horus(m): 11:16pm On Aug 06, 2013

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nebeuwa(m): 11:20pm On Aug 06, 2013
plaindealer: And you wonder why Lagos state is living the rest of the country behind....

Don't you mean "leading?"

I guess Lagos education system is not "living" the rest of the country behind... grin grin grin
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by plaindealer: 11:44pm On Aug 06, 2013
Nebeuwa:

Don't you mean "leading?"

I guess Lagos education system is not "living" the rest of the country behind... grin grin grin

I don't mean leading and please don't speak for me..

Living you behind = My life is better than yours/Living a better life.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 12:03am On Aug 07, 2013
plaindealer:

I don't mean leading and please don't speak for me..

Leaving you behind you meant
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by plaindealer: 12:28am On Aug 07, 2013
sincerenigerian:

Leaving you behind you meant

Hopefully bold enough to read and comprehend. Don't speak for me or put words in my mouth.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 1:35am On Aug 07, 2013
plaindealer:

This is a professional environment with uniformity and every individual attire reflects the same professional attitude and workplace uniformity.

When watching NTA News, should the inter-ethnic divisions be made more apparent? Can the Modern business suit not be SUBTLY customised with less YELLOW, BRIGHT PINK, Dangling party jewellery worn by the woman TV presenters who look like they are going to Owanbe Party or Church Cruisade?!! A suit can be made to look cultural without making viewers think that the Circus has come to town or that men are wearing pyjamas and dressed for bed. When I watch NTA from Europe I want to see intelligent developments and good news, not a Tribal Fashion Show of an united people! Keep the culture but make it look corporate... Culture is more than CLOTHES.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Nobody: 1:35am On Aug 07, 2013
plaindealer:

This is a professional environment with uniformity and every individual attire reflects the same professional attitude and workplace uniformity.

When watching NTA News, should the inter-ethnic divisions be made more apparent? Can the Modern business suit not be SUBTLY customised with less YELLOW, BRIGHT PINK, Dangling party jewellery worn by the woman TV presenters who look like they are going to Owanbe Party or Church Cruisade?!! A suit can be made to look cultural without making viewers think that the Circus has come to town or that men are wearing pyjamas and dressed for bed. When I watch NTA from Europe I want to see intelligent developments and good news, not a Tribal Fashion Show of an united people! Keep the culture but make it look corporate... Culture is more than CLOTHES.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by tunwe(m): 3:38am On Aug 07, 2013
Fashola Is not well exposed, He Is a wanno-be. Therefore, a fake. Wole soyinka elected tradition wears make him look like a sage that he Is. As for the OP, he Ish sorry God created him black.

1 Like

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Rossikk(m): 6:45am On Aug 07, 2013
plaindealer:

First you lied and tried to deceive people. I called you out. Now you're garbling more nonsense. Get this into your skull: African wear does not have to be ''3 piece babariga''. It can also be a simple dashiki. Even the three piece is more suited to the tropical climate than a suit as the former is designed to allow air to flow through the robes and ventilate the body, unlike a suit and tie. Even a nursery school kid knows this, so don't come here selling us the line that a suit is more appropriate to our climate than our traditional wear. That will not wash here.

And NO, WE WILL NEVER AS A NATION JETTISON OUR TRADITIONAL WEAR, NO MATTER HOW MANY folks like you emerge from the woodworks to stink up the place with your mentality. And if you can't handle that, YOU'RE FREE TO PACK YOUR BAGS AND GET OUT OF NIGERIA.

Your place of work is not a cultural center.

So why wear a western suit? You must be there to showcase western culture. Or do you think the suit dropped down from the sky? You think it has no cultural component or history? You want us all to pretend the suit is not showcasing western culture? Why?

3 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by Rossikk(m): 7:00am On Aug 07, 2013
I no know book:

Rossikk, Rossikk, Rossikk, how many times did I call you? I wonder why you resort to name calling and very abusive words whenever you make comments. I would have given you a 100 percent on the above comment, but for the fact that you resorted to your favorite uncouth language that we have come to know you with on this forum. Though the so called article by Mr Onwubiko was very stupid and condescending to say the least, nevertheless, he is entitled to his opinion. You took the shine out of a very reasonable rebuttal by being very abusive. When will you learn to behave and act your age? By the way, this is the very first sensible comment you are making in a very long while, but, alas, you ended up ruining it.

Sorry, but the writer lost all right to respect by equating African attire with savagery and western attire with civilization. Such a person does not deserve the least bit of respect in any gathering of Africans. He is a disgrace to humanity. I have absolutely no problem putting him in his place. You say he is ''entitled to his opinion'' by equating MY African tradition with savagery. Well, I'm likewise entitled to my opinion by equating him with a pig and an orangutan.

I'm tired of Africans being told to ''remain calm'' when they're racially insulted and demeaned. I mean this guy is basically saying in so many words, that Africans - blacks - are inferior to whites and should be happy to copy them. Why the hell am I supposed to be ''calm and respectful'' to someone like that? There's no reason at all to show any respect to him. He is an ignorant racist who hates his own heritage, and requires shock therapy to get his brain working, if he has one.

4 Likes

Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by porka: 11:15am On Aug 07, 2013
LOVE.HAPPINESS:
To those who disagree, it must be remembered that China went through an extremely violent "cultural revolution" where millions died and everyone else was made to modernize by force.

It laid the groundwork for their miraculous 30 year transformation from one of the poorest and most backward civilizations, to one of the richest and most advanced.

We don't need a violent revolution in Naija, but we DO need to embrace change. At international meetings, GEJ is the only head of state wearing traditional dress, except for some tiny island nations. Everyone else is wearing a suit.

To mobile users who cannot see the photo below, Jonathan is surrounded by Presidents and Heads of State from over 30 nations (including South Africa, China, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, India, Egypt, Pakistan, and others). He is the only one wearing traditional dress, other than the Prime Minister of India who is wearing a head covering for religious reasons.

If Rossik has ever worn a suit, he would know that the material a suit is made of determines how much warmth it keeps in. A linen suit is perfect for hot climates, as are other materials. Do you think people in colder climes stop wearing suits in the summer?

You should be proud of him.

Others before him, i.e Tafawa Balewa, Shehu Shagari and Olusegun Obasanjo, did not disappoint.

He held his head high there my friend.

Perhaps you didn't notice the Arab guy at the back too.

It's even very worrisome that you adduce religious reasons for excusing the Indian PM.

Common!

There's something called pride.

It's being totally comfortable of whom you are, without any apologies.
Re: Dress Code In Lagos House Of Assembly Worthy Of Emulation by porka: 11:17am On Aug 07, 2013
Rossikk:

Sorry, but the writer lost all right to respect by equating African attire with savagery and western attire with civilization. Such a person does not deserve the least bit of respect in any gathering of Africans. He is a disgrace to humanity. I have absolutely no problem putting him in his place. You say he is ''entitled to his opinion'' by equating MY African tradition with savagery. Well, I'm likewise entitled to my opinion by equating him with a pig and an orangutan.

I'm tired of Africans being told to ''remain calm'' when they're racially insulted and demeaned. I mean this guy is basically saying in so many words, that Africans - blacks - are inferior to whites and should be happy to copy them. Why the hell am I supposed to be ''calm and respectful'' to someone like that? There's no reason at all to show any respect to him. He is an ignorant racist who hates his own heritage, and requires shock therapy to get his brain working, if he has one.

Inferiority complex things.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Mocks INEC Over Postponed Election (photos) / 5 Reasons Buhari May Have Omitted Obasanjo’s Name In Train Station Honour Role / Boko Haram Attacks Geidam In Yobe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.