Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,377 members, 7,861,038 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:52 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1986) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6029466 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1983) (1984) (1985) (1986) (1987) (1988) (1989) ... (2853) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 12:28pm On Dec 22, 2019
jln115:

South Africa is the only accredited MRO Centre for C130 in Africa and 1 of only 9 across the globe thus Nigeria is not an MRO for C130s neither is it for Eurocopter or Dauphin. Its also the only accredited MRO for AĆ©rospatiale(now airbus) and Russian helicopter:

"The company is now one of only nine accredited Hercules C-130 service centres in the world and the only one in Africa."

"Denel Aviation is now the only company accredited to perform maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) work on Russian helicopters in Africa."

Secondly I posted a snippet from Denels website were it clearly states that they are the original component manufacturer for Oryx and Rooivalk helicopters.

Also I see you have not responded to me on Atlantic desiel engineering so I assume you agree with that statement.
You're not very bright.

Nigeria carries out MRO on C-130s this is a fact.

A maintenance center does not mean you produce components.

A maintenance center is a maintenance center, it is not a components manufacturer.

Stop peddling falsehood.

Your link states Denel is the OEM, it does not state Denel is the Original component manufacturer.

The fact is Denel is heavily dependent on European suppliers. Components for South-African defence equipment are imported from Europe. This is a fact!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 12:34pm On Dec 22, 2019
jln115:

South Africa is the only accredited MRO Centre for C130 in Africa and 1 of only 9 across the globe thus Nigeria is not an MRO for C130s neither is it for Eurocopter or Dauphin. Its also the only accredited MRO for AĆ©rospatiale(now airbus) and Russian helicopter:

"The company is now one of only nine accredited Hercules C-130 service centres in the world and the only one in Africa."

"Denel Aviation is now the only company accredited to perform maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) work on Russian helicopters in Africa."

Secondly I posted a snippet from Denels website were it clearly states that they are the original component manufacturer for Oryx and Rooivalk helicopters.

Also I see you have not responded to me on Atlantic desiel engineering so I assume you agree with that statement.
Stop spreading lies please.

From your own link.

"Denel Aeronautics delivers complete aviation solutions including maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) upgrades and system integration solutions, with innovation, quality and value added services, through worldwide partnerships."
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 1:40pm On Dec 22, 2019
O/T but still relevant! I've posted on tactical awareness for all of us and this vid is a prime example. The dude attacks a thug gets shot 8x-and lives!

https://www.facebook.com/CitizenTVKe/videos/1812543862222485/

Criticism is easy but before attacking do you have the skills to disarm a gunman!? The thug was facing away from him and he could've fractured his skull and it seems he tried to. If you've no skills just run. There's a huge amount of luck though-8 rounds at contact range and not even 1 solid torso hit!

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2019
KDF in somalia..
Is that a minigun on the first pic or am i seeing stuff ?

https://twitter.com/kdfinfo/status/1208697889402347522?s=20

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 22, 2019
kabe1:

Stop spreading lies please.

From your own link.

"Denel Aeronautics delivers complete aviation solutions including maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) upgrades and system integration solutions, with innovation, quality and value added services, through worldwide partnerships."
whats your point? I didn't say we make C130 parts...

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:42am On Dec 23, 2019
jln115:

Great points!!.

But here is where I feel our North African cousins have a disadvantage:

1. If you look at the composition of there forces its glaringly obvious that there is a massive reliance on foreign suppliers, everything from ammunition to spares are supplied by foreign contractors!! Now you could say that contracts buy allies but, you just have to look at the Border War South Africa fought to realise how easily you can be hit by sanctions from all sides of the globe...... And at that point you are on your own.

Now I'm not so clued up on the industries of Algeria, Egypt and Morocco but how much of the ammunition from small caliber bullets, tank rounds, artillery shells, Rockets ect ect do these countries actually need to import? South Africa on the other hand produces all of its ammunition from small caliber bullets to missiles for its fighters...... South Africa also has the means to produce everything from IFVs to Attack helicopters and even fighters and has so in the past.

2. "So big quantity and quality is the first step to sustain a big war."

I don't believe this is 100% correct.....imo it's how effectively you can deploy and use your weapons that determine how well you can sustain a war, yes I agree that quantity will always be an advantage but to me logistics and communication are the most underrated factors to sustaining a war. Now I think I'll adress this topic in another post wink but I do feel in terms of communication and the sharing there of South Africa has a huge advantage vs our North African cousins.

3. And Lastly, the most important aspect to sustaining a war..........Money!!!

How long can Algerian, Moroccan and Egyption economies sustain a war vs how long the economies of SA or Nigeria can sustain a war.

P. S I'M certainly not saying the South African military is more powerful, I think its glaringly obvious which miltary is more capable but I'm simply entertaining a scenario where a France or a like for like come knocking on your door, and which country in Africa will be best able to sustain and be successful against such an enemy! But in the short term Algeria, Morocco and Egypt are much much better equipped to deal with a full scale war!

Hope my opinion will not be take bad . I will be sincere and maybe rude , so that you understand the external view on the organization of your army

for me we can't talk about sustaining a war in the case of south africcan army or nigerian army against a big army like france for exemple . without talking about NATO scale agression . ( its not boko haram . or small group or rebels ) . even if this guys never attack alone only in large coalition

The first problem i see in south africa and nigeria is the non existence of air defense systems . ( yes south africa have at best short range umkhonto ) . thats nothing for an air force like france that will send you long range missiles like rain in first day . and for nigeria there is nothing in air defense to stop there strikes . so in one day they will clean anything they want in the country . they will travel in your skies like a family trip . what will you sustain if they demolish you in one day ? Check modern wars . hundreds strategic locations , hundreds air force units , naval will be erased in less than one day and fir countries with good air defense . the problem is that you dont have hundred air force units, a.d you dont have air defense . thats why i'm talking about quantity is first step to sustain a war . when you have 200 jets with a good air defense . the enemy will attack carrefully , with limited options ( they will start with tomahawk for days fir exemple and cant come close with its jets ) and will not destroy all you fleet in one day .

Second is also the air force . 20 grippens ? 14 F7 ? Thats a joke for an air force like france or US . without AWACS the poor pilot will get shot down without even knowing from were the missile came . thats if they dont get detroyed on the ground. imagine yourself your are on the head of french attack operations . and you'r attacking south africa . inteligence will tell you . yeah they have 10 grippens here . 10 grippens here , few short range umkhonto here ( nothing for even medium range missile) a piece of cake for them ! You can talk about logistic communication when you have quantity . but when you have 20 jets with no air defense . they will destroy them easy in two . three air strikes . and with total air control your small ground units also will be destroyed easly

So for me we can talk about sustain a war . when you have minimum air defense systems to detere just a little . an a big quantity with quality . and thats not the case of south africa and nigeria .

Add to this nigeria , south africa dont have a big ally to protect them . an ally that can do what russia did for syria for exemple .

Again hope my opinion will not be took badly . just i see that there is so much to do for south aftica and nigerian armies to have a decent army that can resist a little to a large agression from a big army . and yes the first reason for this is that south africa and nigeria dont have strong ennemies no one in there region is a threat for them . and big powers of the world dont threat them too . and i know if they were in north africa with the same geopolitic threat they will also have 10 billions defense budget defense per year like algeria morocco egypt and have hudge air defense system and air naval ground units

9 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by seankafor(m): 7:51am On Dec 23, 2019

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by VoltageDivida(m): 8:50am On Dec 23, 2019
Xbee007:

I can only speak authoritatively on Nigerian Navy DSSC because I once made it to the final screening in Ojo where only 2 people were finally picked out of about 16 of us from my state.

During the recruitment application process, you will be asked to enter your class of result. First Class and Second Class Upper are strictly listed as the requirements for application. This means that people who entered anything lower than the requirements will be automatically screened out by the system.

Some people lied during the registration but they were outed at the scene of the first recruitment test. At Mogadishu Cantonment where I wrote mine, for example, people who haven't completed their NYSC, and people who falsified their results were screened out. They won't check your results but the threat alone is enough to put the fear of God in you. So people voluntarily came out and were sent back home.

The screening in Ojo, Lagos is the most rigorous of all. They will check all your results, FSLC, SSCE, HND, BSC etc. I think we spent a day two on that alone. So anything below the earlier stated requirements will be screened out. Even though at this stage, they won't immediately screened you out but you will be noted till the d-day. I think people that lied up to this stage were handed over to the police.

Now, there is a story of a lady that made it to this stage with a second class lower degree although she managed to fool the authority that she had a First Class. They called her Mama Kwara in camp then. People said when you see her you immediately knew she was going to make it to the final stage cos there were very few ladies with her prowess, and the NN needed ladies. To cut the long story short, she was outed while in training because the Nigerian Navy went to her alma mata and discovered she actually graduated with a 2:2 not the first class she had claimed.

But we all know the Nigerian factor. One of the two guys that were finally chosen, I swear his name didn't appear on the list. Although, he speaks my language but I still doubt he is even from my state. That is the power of knowing the right people in Nigeria.

TL;DR Unfortunately, you can't apply for DSSC with a lower credit. cry

Good day boss!
Please I will like to know more about the screening program (what you were tested on and how the test what done, and other details) so I can prepare adequately for mine this week.
Thanks Boss!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 9:24am On Dec 23, 2019
VoltageDivida:

Good day boss!
Please I will like to know more about the screening program (what you were tested on and how the test what done, and other details) so I can prepare adequately for mine this week.
Thanks Boss!
Don't take any psychoactive drug.
There are no ATM machines within the camp.
Go with mosquito net.
The remaining info is on their website.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 9:26am On Dec 23, 2019
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:28am On Dec 23, 2019
Xbee007:

Tracer rounds.
What is a tracer round?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 9:52am On Dec 23, 2019
kabe1:

What is a tracer round?
A type of bullet that light up after firing them. They contain pyrotechnic charge that trail the bullet which aid in guiding bullet firing at night.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 23, 2019
Algerian2:

Hope my opinion will not be take bad . I will be sincere and maybe rude , so that you understand the external view on the organization of your army

for me we can't talk about sustaining a war in the case of south africcan army or nigerian army against a big army like france for exemple . without talking about NATO scale agression . ( its not boko haram . or small group or rebels ) . even if this guys never attack alone only in large coalition

The first problem i see in south africa and nigeria is the non existence of air defense systems . ( yes south africa have at best short range umkhonto ) . thats nothing for an air force like france that will send you long range missiles like rain in first day . and for nigeria there is nothing in air defense to stop there strikes . so in one day they will clean anything they want in the country . they will travel in your skies like a family trip . what will you sustain if they demolish you in one day ? Check modern wars . hundreds strategic locations , hundreds air force units , naval will be erased in less than one day and fir countries with good air defense . the problem is that you dont have hundred air force units, a.d you dont have air defense . thats why i'm talking about quantity is first step to sustain a war . when you have 200 jets with a good air defense . the enemy will attack carrefully , with limited options ( they will start with tomahawk for days fir exemple and cant come close with its jets ) and will not destroy all you fleet in one day .

Second is also the air force . 20 grippens ? 14 F7 ? Thats a joke for an air force like france or US . without AWACS the poor pilot will get shot down without even knowing from were the missile came . thats if they dont get detroyed on the ground. imagine yourself your are on the head of french attack operations . and you'r attacking south africa . inteligence will tell you . yeah they have 10 grippens here . 10 grippens here , few short range umkhonto here ( nothing for even medium range missile) a piece of cake for them ! You can talk about logistic communication when you have quantity . but when you have 20 jets with no air defense . they will destroy them easy in two . three air strikes . and with total air control your small ground units also will be destroyed easly

So for me we can talk about sustain a war . when you have minimum air defense systems to detere just a little . an a big quantity with quality . and thats not the case of south africa and nigeria .

Add to this nigeria , south africa dont have a big ally to protect them . an ally that can do what russia did for syria for exemple .

Again hope my opinion will not be took badly . just i see that there is so much to do for south aftica and nigerian armies to have a decent army that can resist a little to a large agression from a big army . and yes the first reason for this is that south africa and nigeria dont have strong ennemies no one in there region is a threat for them . and big powers of the world dont threat them too . and i know if they were in north africa with the same geopolitic threat they will also have 10 billions defense budget defense per year like algeria morocco egypt and have hudge air defense system and air naval ground units

Not all bro we are all good, I respect your opinion wink

However I think you focused alot on Air defence(maybe ignoring other factors?) on this reply so I think I'll do the same!!

Firstly I do agree in terms of quantity SA with 26 Gripen SA is shortlegged and obviously also doesn't have a long range air defence system.

But what South Africa does have is a massive radar network(mobile and static) which is linked with LinkZA, meaning Our fighters can see an enemy on their screens even if they are on the other side of the country, another advantage of this is,is our fighters can fly with their radars completely turned of and rely soly on information from ground based radar platforms to search, target and engage the enemy.... Thus with their radar switch off it makes our Gripen near invisible to enemy Radar, hence our Gripen( if equipped with the marlin BVR missile by that time) can engage the enemy before they even know what is going on.....this is what I mean being more effective through our communication systems.

Also with all our platforms interlinked with linkza our weapons systems can be designated by different platforms be it air or ground, thus for example a Rooivalk attack helicopter or Hawk/Gripen can target an enemy which it can't even see given for example that target is designated by a small recce team near enemy lines...or any other platform for that matter.
Our Artillery for example can hit moving targets, that's how effective they are thanks to linkza.

With LinkZA it takes only a single platform to see an enemy then the whole defence force sees that enemy as well in real time.

South Africa currently is the only country in Africa and one of only a few in the world that possess an integrated tactical data link!

And its hence for the above mentioned that imo even with a smaller force than Algeria, Morocco and Egypt, SA somewhat makes up for it by being able to more effectively deploy its systems,thanks to superior communication systems.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:05am On Dec 23, 2019
Xbee007:

A type of bullet that light up after firing them. They contain pyrotechnic charge that trail the bullet which aid in guiding bullet firing at night.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 10:33am On Dec 23, 2019
seankafor:
https://twitter.com/Idrisooh/status/1208876948950323200?s=09

Mehn is this a war or what shocked

What kinda artillery is been fired here?

https://twitter.com/Idrisooh/status/1208876567511937024?s=09
According to some folks on Twitter, one of these videos is fake. It is of NDA students during target practise.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 11:10am On Dec 23, 2019
jln115:

However I think you focused alot on Air defence(maybe ignoring other factors?) on this reply so I think I'll do the same!!

Firstly I do agree in terms of quantity SA with 26 Gripen SA is shortlegged and obviously also doesn't have a long range air defence system.

But what South Africa does have is a massive radar network(mobile and static) which is linked with LinkZA, meaning Our fighters can see an enemy on their screens even if they are on the other side of the country, another advantage of this is,is our fighters can fly with their radars completely turned of and rely soly on information from ground based radar platforms to search, target and engage the enemy.... Thus with their radar switch off it makes our Gripen near invisible to enemy Radar, hence our Gripen( if equipped with the marlin BVR missile by that time) can engage the enemy before they even know what is going on.....this is what I mean being more effective through our communication systems.

Also with all our platforms interlinked with linkza our weapons systems can be designated by different platforms be it air or ground, thus for example a Rooivalk attack helicopter or Hawk/Gripen can target an enemy which it can't even see given for example that target is designated by a small recce team near enemy lines...or any other platform for that matter.
Our Artillery for example can hit moving targets, that's how effective they are thanks to linkza.

With LinkZA it takes only a single platform to see an enemy then the whole defence force sees that enemy as well in real time.

South Africa currently is the only country in Africa and one of only a few in the world that possess an integrated tactical data link!

And its hence for the above mentioned that imo even with a smaller force than Algeria, Morocco and Egypt, SA somewhat makes up for it by being able to more effectively deploy its systems,thanks to superior communication systems.

let me add a little bit to this discussion.

there are alot of levels to a conventional conflict. in the area of air defense during the initial assault surge.

The fact that you have gripens with sensor fusion and c4isr datalinks doesn't come into play at the start of a major conventional conflict.

for instance, let's say you have to confront France. the first logical thing France will do is to destroy all your aircraft and air defenses from miles away using SCALP LR or Storm Shadow cruise missile or whatever new and exotic capabilities they possess.

These would be launched from Rafales miles beyond the reach of your MEKO 200 frigates.

Even if you disperse your Gripens to various fields, remember that they have recon satellites with millimetres accuracy.

your current point air defence cannot realistically stop a first wave of say 200 long-range cruise missiles.
do you understand what even 100 cruise missiles will do to your aircraft and air defense systems?

now imagine a sustained assault for say five days in the initial push.

Understanding modern air defense & interception tactics, a defender will need multiple direct shot to destroy an oncoming cruise missile. especially if it's poseses terminal maneuovering capability.

now what can you hope to sustain when even 40% of your air force has been decimated.?

the South African case is even more better when compared to say Nigeria with zero air denial technology beyond guns.

that's why militarily weak countries like Nigeria pursues diplomatic means before it escalates even to the detriment of the country.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 11:40am On Dec 23, 2019
Can any European nation launch 200 cruise missile (Taking into account the economics of scale and even stocks)

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 11:46am On Dec 23, 2019
lionel4power:

let
the South African case is even more better when compared to say Nigeria with zero air denial technology beyond guns.

that's why militarily weak countries like Nigeria pursues diplomatic means before it escalates even to the detriment of the country.

To say the Nigerian military is weak is arrant nonsense.

When faced with a larger stronger foe, a smaller country plays to the weakness of the larger attacking one.

Tactics would change. Conventional tactics would not be used.

The point is to make sure the losses on the larger nation would be such that the cost of victory would be much the attacking/larger force would rethink it's invasion.

Lionel, you have a very limited knowledge of how wars are fought.

I implore you to go read Soviet invasion of Finland in World War 2.

Please endeavor to conduct basic research before commenting.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 11:50am On Dec 23, 2019
jln115:

The advantage South-Africa has is location. Only the US, Russia and China can conduct a full scale invasion on South-Africa.

France could use Reunion as a staging area, but as we have seen in Mali, France lacks the logistical capacity to invade a country that is far away.

Link-ZA is not the advantage.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SuperSixSeven: 1:00pm On Dec 23, 2019
kabe1:

The advantage South-Africa has is location. Only the US, Russia and China can conduct a full scale invasion on South-Africa.

France could use Reunion as a staging area, but as we have seen in Mali, France lacks the logistical capacity to invade a country that is far away.

Look at the numbers Russia doesnt have a sizeable amphibious force (ships) even the UK amphibious abilities are is bigger. And France did good in Mali they where present in all parts of the country within 10 days they even flew long range strikes from France to Mali. And we should not overestimate China which has only little experience in war.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 1:14pm On Dec 23, 2019
SuperSixSeven:

Look at the numbers Russia doesnt have a sizeable amphibious force (ships) even the UK amphibious abilities are is bigger. And France did good in Mali they where present in all parts of the country within 10 days they even flew long range strikes from France to Mali. And we should not overestimate China which has only little experience in war.
France enlisted the support of America, England, Belgium, Russian Airplanes, Canada to move their equipment to Mali.

For a country that has multiple bases in West-Africa, that's really poor.

Russia can use Angola, Mozambique, including Zimbabwe for attacks on South-Africa.

China fought in WW2, they fought in Korea, they also fought in Vietnam. These are considerable large wars.

China has the ships, manpower and economy to conduct continuous military operations far away from home.

China also regularly conducts large scale military exercises involving thousands of men and hundreds of vehicles and aircrafts.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 1:20pm On Dec 23, 2019
SuperSixSeven:

Please always conduct research before making claims that are unsubstantiated.

How can you possibly claim the UK has more ships than Russia?

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by darkwan: 1:28pm On Dec 23, 2019
Algerian2:

this is what happened to gadaffi....

gadaffis libya was not that weak....look how quick they took him out....
i was surprised how quick it went....

libya under gadaffi was not that weak....
but again....i didnt knew how sophisticated all this gadgets have become back then....

you are right....
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by darkwan: 1:38pm On Dec 23, 2019
i just laugh when south africans beat their chests....

at the end,it will depend on how you can manage looses like russia in ww2....

soviets just kept throwin bodies at the nazis till they were exhausted....in the meanwhile improvin on their tanks....

and bumm!!,they were in berlin....!!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by darkwan: 1:47pm On Dec 23, 2019
kabe1:

i think nigeria could do that too,if desperate enough....
nigeria has many airplanes that can be confistigated and turned to bombers....

nigeria did something similar in the biafran war....

actualy alpha jets were meant for trainin,but they got desperate enough to turn them to main fighters....

nigeria doesnt have actual fighter jets in that sense if you think over it....

they are all trainers....

a bit modification here and their and et voila....fighters....
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SuperSixSeven: 4:14pm On Dec 23, 2019
kabe1:

Please always conduct research before making claims that are unsubstantiated.

How can you possibly claim the UK has more ships than Russia?

I am talking about Amphibious Capability.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 23, 2019
lionel4power:

let me add a little bit to this discussion.

there are alot of levels to a conventional conflict. in the area of air defense during the initial assault surge.

The fact that you have gripens with sensor fusion and c4isr datalinks doesn't come into play at the start of a major conventional conflict.

for instance, let's say you have to confront France. the first logical thing France will do is to destroy all your aircraft and air defenses from miles away using SCALP LR or Storm Shadow cruise missile or whatever new and exotic capabilities they possess.

These would be launched from Rafales miles beyond the reach of your MEKO 200 frigates.

Even if you disperse your Gripens to various fields, remember that they have recon satellites with millimetres accuracy.

your current point air defence cannot realistically stop a first wave of say 200 long-range cruise missiles.
do you understand what even 100 cruise missiles will do to your aircraft and air defense systems?

now imagine a sustained assault for say five days in the initial push.

Understanding modern air defense & interception tactics, a defender will need multiple direct shot to destroy an oncoming cruise missile. especially if it's poseses terminal maneuovering capability.

now what can you hope to sustain when even 40% of your air force has been decimated.?

Well going by what you said 0 African countries will survive such an attack.

But the fact is for France to attack South Africa(or other countries) with 200 cruise missiles it would need to be able to deploy and sustain such a force!! Now Traditional French bases in North and Western Africa would be to far to support an Attack on SA thus the only other method they can Attack South Africa by is by see.

Now France has a single Aircraft carrier which can carry around 30 Fighters...... Thus already tin terms of deployable fighters we are now near equal.

Secondly South Africa also has a spy satellites thus it will be highly likely that South African intelligence would be able to track a significant French Naval force approaching SA and thus give the South African Navy and Air force ample time to prepare.

We have already seen how deadly a modern diesel sub is in our rough waters, back in 2007 SAS Manthatisi sank an entire NATO fleet during an exercise so I think our subs are fully capable of inflicting heavy damage on any incoming fleet, so if the French fleet survives our subs then they still have to deal with our Frigates and if they survive that then the number of Cruise missiles they can deploy goes from a 100 or so to a couple dozen.... Not enough to destroy our vast array of mobile and Static Radar..... Gripens can now rely on Linkza to target French fighters instead of relying on their Radars, thus reducing their visibility exponentially.

The French Navy also only has 3 mistral class ships to deploy ground troops and vehicles..... And even if all three ships survive, it they will still be heavily out numbered by South Africa IFVs, AFVs, troops ect ect.

Thus imo their is no possible way France alone can invade South Africa simply because of our geographical location.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 23, 2019
kabe1:

1. The advantage South-Africa has is location. Only the US, Russia and China can conduct a full scale invasion on South-Africa.

2. Link-ZA is not the advantage.
1. I agree 100%

2. 100% disagree..... How is having a tactical data link not advantage? You don't know what tracer bullets are but you are qualified to say a tactical data link is not an advantage?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 23, 2019
SS
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:17pm On Dec 23, 2019
At the end of the day no country except for America can attack another country and overwhelm with minimal losses.

Other countries of P5 can attack only by taking advantage of internal conflicts of other countries. Otherwise not possible. Stupid move to do so .

Defenders in land warfare especially with unconventional methods have a very big advantage over attackers. Air and sea not so much.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:49pm On Dec 23, 2019
nemesis8u:

Just for the sake of conversation , not interested in this ver that.

What about french submarines like SSNs ? They will be sent ahead.

conventional submarines with AIP will need to return base after 2 weeks then ? SA subs have aip ? If not then even more difficult to survive.

If submarine base infrastructure destroyed , where will the conventional submarines return to ?

Every convoy has integral ASW assets.
Exactly!! I think if we keep it SA vs France or any other country apart from Nigeria then we should be ok

firstly I think you are confusing the need to surface vs the need to return to base and replenish.

SA navy heroine class subs have an endurance of over 50 days however I'm not sure how long they can go without snorkeling but aip equiped subs can go 3 week without snorkeling... However I'm not aware if SAs type209s are equipped with aip.

Thus it all comes down to if SAs diesel subs can sink Frances nuclear subs, which is a debate all on its own.

and of course every convey will have integral ASW platforms.... However so did NATO maritime group 1 but it didn't stop SAS Manthatisi from sinking their entire fleet.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 6:30pm On Dec 23, 2019
SuperSixSeven:

I am talking about Amphibious Capability.
You can't see the number of ships?

Surface ships - 35 for Russia, 19 for UK.

Russia has more landing ships than the UK.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1983) (1984) (1985) (1986) (1987) (1988) (1989) ... (2853) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.