Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,489 members, 7,812,526 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2671) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5956142 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2668) (2669) (2670) (2671) (2672) (2673) (2674) ... (2841) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Exnavyboy62: 9:02pm On Oct 19, 2022
davefurn:

So I was correct cheesy, tb2 was stated as trash by an ukrainian top official

So on one hand, Azerbaijan proved the effectiveness of Bayraktar, while on the other hand, a Ukrainan official claims it's trash.

Let's see how it work out in the possession of the Nigerian Army.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Exnavyboy62: 9:07pm On Oct 19, 2022
Nemesis4you:

I got very confused when I read your post grin

You got me entirely wrong

I was not talking about the shahed drone grin

I was using the meme whose subject was the shahed drone as a example to illustrate the fragility of the so called ' truth '

UK , ukr.... , russ.... , Iran, had their own truth regarding the no of of drones etc

My point was whose 'truth ' is the ' truth ' ? grin

I think I will go with the version where Iran says it didn't sell drones to rus.. grin

You really believe Iran did not sell those drones to Russia grin grin grin.
Although some Iranians that I've interacted with online claim that they were given to Russia for testing and that another bigger, badder wolf is on its way for testing too
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by davefurn: 9:26pm On Oct 19, 2022
Exnavyboy62:

Although some Iranians that I've interacted with online claim that they were given to Russia for testing and that another bigger, badder wolf is on its way for testing too
Will israel sit still, what is Israel counter for them?... How will iron dome fare against it.... I'm sure iron dome will work well against it. I personally feel, iran are over-reliant on drones but they really worked hard for it despite the sanctions

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 9:18am On Oct 20, 2022
grin grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:35am On Oct 20, 2022
Nigerian Navy participating in Exercise Grand African Nemo 2022

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 11:58am On Oct 20, 2022
Ohh happy day! Burkinabe coup leader reveals secret French agreements. This info has actually been in the public domain for over a decade but some Geniuses here ofc thought it was conspiracy theory.
It's NOT!?

S[b]ince then, approximately 150,000 tonnes of uranium [/b]have been extracted by the majority state-owned French company Areva, which is now one of the largest uranium producers in the world. The two mines around Arlit – Somaïr and Cominak – account for around a third of the multi-billion-dollar company’s total global production.
https://africanarguments.org/2017/07/a-forgotten-community-the-little-town-in-niger-keeping-the-lights-on-in-france-uranium-arlit-areva/

Look at the price per oz! And the town of Arlit is still poor AF as the entire Burkina Faso even by African standards!?

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 1:42pm On Oct 20, 2022
Throwback:

The 32 Battalion mortar support team.

8 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 3:59pm On Oct 20, 2022
Exnavyboy62:

So on one hand, Azerbaijan proved the effectiveness of Bayraktar, while on the other hand, a Ukrainan official claims it's trash.

Let's see how it work out in the possession of the Nigerian Army.
A TB2 is a TB2 anywhere. Its effectiveness will be determined by the kind of enemy you are fighting against. Anyone who thinks a TB2 will survive in an airspace contested by Russians has little knowledge of military hardware to begin with.

At the right altitude, an ordinary MANPAD will cancel a TB2 out of the sky very quickly.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 4:10pm On Oct 20, 2022
davefurn:

Will israel sit still, what is Israel counter for them?... How will iron dome fare against it.... I'm sure iron dome will work well against it. I personally feel, iran are over-reliant on drones but they really worked hard for it despite the sanctions
I don't know how fast the Iranian drone is but It's very possible the regular iron dome will not intercept them completely. Iron dome is not really a powerful defense system to begin with. It was made to intercept rockets and may struggle against cruise weapons. It is just a missile equivalent of Phalanx.

Cruise weapons can be very tricky even for the best defense systems because they are difficult to track due to low altitude. For me, the best weapons for hunting cruise missiles and kamikaze drones are fighter jets.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nemesis4you: 5:19pm On Oct 20, 2022
Nemesis4you:

Now that I think of few members might have wrong idea regarding the post

I posted it to show the absurdity of fighting it out in SM that too by top level officials

And as i have repeated stated multiple times in the past there is no good weapon there is no bad weapon , if a system does it's job on that day , it's job done well, if not than another day

It is a cat and mouse game

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nemesis4you: 5:22pm On Oct 20, 2022
Exnavyboy62:

It was the most believable truthful untruth of all the truths grin

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by davefurn: 6:56pm On Oct 20, 2022
Faithful007:
I don't know how fast the Iranian drone is but It's very possible the regular iron dome will not intercept them completely. Iron dome is not really a powerful defense system to begin with. It was made to intercept rockets and may struggle against cruise weapons. It is just a missile equivalent of Phalanx.

Cruise weapons can be very tricky even for the best defense systems because they are difficult to track due to low altitude. For me, the best weapons for hunting cruise missiles and kamikaze drones are fighter jets.
True, on point
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:30am On Oct 21, 2022
American foreign policy

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 11:21am On Oct 21, 2022
The Nigeria army aviation wing has received it's set of TB2 UCAVs
They are currently being assembled at NAF base in kaduna

14 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 11:25am On Oct 21, 2022
Meanwhile in Nigeria

NAF Airstrikes have eliminated a notorious bandits leader known as Dogo Damina and Dozens of his fighters at Koli village, in Maru LGA of Zamfara.

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 11:44am On Oct 21, 2022
grin grin grin
South Africa’s relations with US ‘not under duress’ over Ukraine, says American ambassador

The sharp differences between South Africa and the US over Russia’s war against Ukraine have not placed the Pretoria-Washington relationship “under duress”, says America’s new ambassador to South Africa, Reuben Brigety II.

While the US has fully backed Ukraine and is giving it with billions of dollars’ worth of weapons to try to expel the Russian invaders, South Africa has been studiously maintaining a “non-aligned”, uncritical position, for example by abstaining from every one of the several United Nations General Assembly votes condemning Russia’s aggression and its recent annexation of parts of eastern Ukraine.

Yet, despite – or because of – those disagreements, President Joe Biden invited President Cyril Ramaphosa to a meeting in the White House last month, a rare honour. DM168 asked Brigety whether this invitation meant that relations between the two countries had not been badly affected by their differences over Ukraine? Or did it mean that Biden wanted an opportunity to try to persuade Ramaphosa to change his mind over Ukraine?

“I don’t think those are mutually exclusive,” Brigety said in an interview in Cape Town. “I think the United States and South Africa have a broad relationship covering a variety of matters in terms of bilateral engagement and also in terms of our ongoing consultations on a variety of global matters, which of course includes Ukraine in this instance.

“But the fact that we may disagree or may take different approaches on any particular issue, even an issue of great significance, doesn’t mean that the relationship is in any way under duress.

“In fact the more we are talking and engaging with each other, the better we’re able to understand each other and hopefully find areas of commonality.”

He noted that Ukraine had been discussed several times at the highest level, not only by Biden and Ramaphosa but also by their foreign ministers, Antony Blinken and Naledi Pandor.

“So, our countries remain in contact. I believe we are in agreement that the war needs to end immediately. The South Africans have stated that as well.”

Punishing African governments

In these talks, the US had also received “loudly and clearly” the South African government’s opposition to legislation before the US Congress that could punish African governments and companies for doing business with Russian companies and other entities.

DM168 had heard that Biden had assured Ramaphosa that he would veto the “Countering Malign Russian Activities in Africa Bill”, which has been adopted in the US House of Representatives but not the Senate.

More...https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2022-10-21-sa-us-relations-not-under-duress-over-ukraine-american-ambassador/

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 11:59am On Oct 21, 2022
kabe1:
American foreign policy
Lol. Me and you we are friends, you sell oil to me, I sell weapons and assist you economically. I ask you for additional help, you refuse. Then I consider scaling down my assistance too. Other self appointed judges who keep me rent free on their heads jump into what isn't their business and accuse me of being a bully.

FYI, the same country Turkey made an open threat to invade Greece, a fellow NATO ally weeks back. Turkey promised to stop Sweden and Finland from joining NATO until they clarified their relationship with the Kurds. Other countries freely reciprocate actions. But when it is America, she gets accused of being a bully and a hypocrite. If Ghana were to enact policies today that hurt Nigeria, Nigeria will quickly retaliate as much as they can. Replace it with the US and everybody begins to complain. Who then are the real hypocrites here?

Many countries are unnecessarily intimidated by America's power and this makes them act irrationally at times. What is normal for other countries to do becomes abnormal if the US tries it.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 12:10pm On Oct 21, 2022
Faithful007:
Lol. Me and you we are friends, you sell oil to me, I sell weapons and assist you economically. I ask you for additional help, you refuse. Then I consider scaling down my assistance too. Other self appointed judges who keep me rent free on their heads jump into what isn't their business and accuse me of being a bully.

FYI, the same country Turkey made an open threat to invade Greece, a fellow NATO ally weeks back. Turkey promised to stop Sweden and Finland from joining NATO until they clarified their relationship with the Kurds. Other countries freely reciprocate actions. But when it is America, she gets accused of being a bully and a hypocrite. If Ghana were to enact policies today that hurt Nigeria, Nigeria will quickly retaliate as much as they can. Replace it with the US and everybody begins to complain. Who then are the real hypocrites here?

Many countries are unnecessarily intimidated by America's power and this makes them act irrationally at times. What is normal for other countries to do becomes abnormal if the US tries it.

I really want to have a proper educated debate with you on this topic but we'll wreck the thread.

I'll pass for the time been.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 12:11pm On Oct 21, 2022
Toju200:

I read 3 units have been received so far.

It's raining Bayraktars in Kaduna, Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 12:32pm On Oct 21, 2022
kabe1:

I read 3 units have been received so far.

It's raining Bayraktars in Kaduna, Nigeria.
yeah smiley wink grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 3:06pm On Oct 21, 2022
Toju200:
We're sending more suya to Hades

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 3:32pm On Oct 21, 2022
The Saudis are actually building "The Line"... WTF? shocked

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by oyinpr(m): 5:01pm On Oct 21, 2022
Toju200:
stop saying aviation it's not for army aviation it is for UAV come, they are 2 different commands
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Exnavyboy62: 5:33pm On Oct 21, 2022
Faithful007:

Chaaii, see as this comrade rush slot in Nigeria into the equation as an example grin grin grin.

Honestly I also want to debate the matter with you but I've had enough of vawulence for one day ranging from "NATO bots that defend Western hypocrisy" to "Ugandan baggers who think they can do better than Russian forces on the battlefield because Ukrainan counter offensive has been paying off".
Al Jazeera's Facebook page will not finish me grin

Maybe another time like Kabe1 said
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:16pm On Oct 21, 2022
Nigerian army main battle tanks

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 10:22pm On Oct 21, 2022
Ghana’s Homegrown Special Boat Squadron Signals New Era

The Ghana Special Boat Squadron (SBS) has graduated its first batch of operators who were 100% domestically trained.

The eight new graduates completed the rigorous six-month course and were the only ones out of a class of 25 to successfully finish and receive special forces badges. They trained at the Naval Training Command in Nutekpor which was opened two years earlier. They will now join the SBS, an elite special forces unit trained to counter piracy and trafficking and conduct opposed boarding of ships.

Building domestic training capability is a major part of the country’s SBS 5-year Development Plan, which was created in partnership with the U.S. and the Danish Special Warfare Group known as the Frogman Corps.

The units are particularly important as Ghana seeks to protect its offshore oil and gas installations and its fisheries sector.

Chief of Army Staff Maj. Gen. Thomas Oppong-Peprah praised the SBS as “quiet professionals” and said they are among the most flexible and useful instruments in the country’s national security toolbox, the Ghana Peace Journal reported.

“They operate deep at sea and in remote areas making difficult decisions every day in austere, uncertain, and unstructured environments,” Oppong-Peprah said at the graduation ceremony on September 15.

Created in 2016, the Ghana SBS typically works in tandem with traditional units from the Navy or Army. Lt. Cmdr. Seth Dzakpasu, commander of the SBS, said potential squadron members are volunteers from within the Ghana Navy who are screened and shortlisted to attempt the training. The Basic Operator Capability course is, he said, the most difficult course there is in the armed forces. It is both “grueling” and “academically daunting” preparing trainees to operate in desert, mountain, jungle, river or sea environments.

After that, there are follow-on intermediate and advanced courses throughout an operator’s career to sharpen skills.

“The SBS course is in phases,” he told ADF during the Naval Infantry Leadership Symposium held in Dakar, Senegal, in July. “It is designed to first condition you to work in small groups and move rapidly, then the other phases develop your mindset, the mindset to know the possibilities that a standard military unit might think is impossible.”

The SBS cultivates special forces skills such as speed, security, surprise and purpose, he said.

“These are the principles that enable a small entity to take on attacks which, traditionally, should have been conducted by a larger entity, sometimes three times the size, and achieve results,” he said.

Previous SBS graduates were trained with the help of Nigeria. A strong partnership has developed between the Ghana SBS and the Nigerian Special Boat Service, which has taken a lead role in some of Nigeria’s toughest counter-terror fights.

During a 2021 ceremony for the Nigerian Navy’s Basic Operating Capability course where 10 Nigerians and nine Ghanaians graduated, Nigerian Navy Rear Adm. Kamarudeen Lawal said the relationship between the two countries has solidified through training exchanges.

“Ghana and Nigeria are two countries that have been operating closely. We have had various exercises and trainings with Ghanaian officers. In most of our training institutions, we have Ghanaian officers teaching, and we also have Nigerians who are teaching in Ghana,” he said, according to the Nigerian newspaper This Day. “So, we have come a long way and I believe this is just a way to further strengthen our relationship.”

https://adf-magazine.com/2022/10/ghanas-homegrown-special-boat-squadron-signals-new-era/

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 7:40am On Oct 22, 2022
China threat in mind, [Indian] Army buys more M4 armoured vehicles with anti-tank missiles

Army is also looking at the possibility of increasing calibre of the 7.62 mm gun on board to a 20 mm one with an automatic turret.

Gandhinagar: Keeping in mind the ongoing tension with China in Eastern Ladakh, the Army has ordered more M4 armoured vehicles from Pune-based defence company Bharat Forge of the Kalyani Group, ThePrint has learnt.

Sources in the defence establishment said some of these vehicles are now being integrated with the Israeli Spike anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) since the Chinese have deployed heavy armour in the mountains.

They added that the Kalyani Group has already delivered about 60 of these vehicles to the Army, including a batch of 30 for the UN Peacekeeping Force.

Sources said while the initial order for these vehicles in February last year was for less than 30, additional orders were soon placed.

They didn’t divulge the exact numbers but said the orders were being completed in batches with modifications depending on how they were performing under the Northern Command.

Besides the ATGM, the Army is also looking at the possibility of increasing the calibre of the 7.62 mm gun on board to a 20 mm one with an automatic turret.

The Army is in need of wheeled armoured vehicles that can transport troops faster and are capable of operating in high-altitude regions.

The M4, a product of the South African defence major Paramount Group, is a multi-role platform designed to meet the requirements of the armed forces for quick mobility in rough terrain and in areas affected by mine and improvised explosive device (IED) threats.

It has ballistic and blast protection against TNT side blasts of up to 50 kg, IEDs and roadside bombs due to its design built on a flat-floor monocoque hull. With a thrust speed of 140 km per hour, the vehicle has a payload of 2.3 tonnes and an operating range of about 800 km, as reported earlier.

The automatic transmission-enabled vehicle can carry 10 soldiers including the driver and has a cooling and heating system, making it ideal for both deserts and high altitudes.

Sources in the Kalyani Group said Bharat Forge has been able to carry out indigenisation of nearly 95 percent of the vehicles, with only 5 per cent being imported from outside.

While its plant in Pune currently has the capacity to build 40 vehicles per year, the firm plans to ramp it up to 100 soon, added the sources.

https://theprint.in/defence/china-threat-in-mind-army-buys-more-m4-armoured-vehicles-with-anti-tank-missiles/1176158/

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 11:14am On Oct 22, 2022
kabe1:

I really want to have a proper educated debate with you on this topic but we'll wreck the thread.

I'll pass for the time been.
A debate never wrecks, but If you really want to defend that action, I promise you will be first to deviate from the topic. Majority of the world easily fall into the trap of black and white thinking. Instead of analyzing emerging issues on a case by case basis, they keep a template in their heads which they use to judge everything whether it relates or not. So many do not even realize it.

I'll give you an example. Many West Africans who hate the US/West hate her either because of left-wing social policies or due to a history of slavery, exploitation and racism. Now that goes in to form a deep bias such that any side the west takes on anything, they are automatically on the opposing side. Rather than try to see reason, they'll look for every fact to justify where they stand and disregard the facts that do point against them. A true sign that someone is really intelligent is the ability to think and make decisions without bias.

I know that sanctions have been weaponized unnecessarily at times, but all are not bad, just as all are not good. If you're interested, read this decide for yourself the good and the bad examples https://publications.gc.ca/Collection-R/LoPBdP/BP/bp346-e.htm

There is also this US Mexico dolphin case that has been going on as well.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ocelot2006(m): 2:17pm On Oct 22, 2022
davefurn:

Well, Iranian drones have proven to be very effective in the past. The Saudis and Emiratis can attest first hand to this. The present Ukraninan conflict just confirmed this once more.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:33am On Oct 23, 2022
Nigerian army MRAP with a standard armament configuration of 2 x 12.7mm heavy machine guns.

9 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by willybaby(m): 9:07am On Oct 23, 2022
kabe1:
Nigerian army MRAP with a standard armament configuration of 2 x 12.7mm heavy machine guns.
give it to them front and back wotowoto.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jteku(m): 10:33am On Oct 23, 2022
NNSBS

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2668) (2669) (2670) (2671) (2672) (2673) (2674) ... (2841) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.