Stats: 3,162,714 members, 7,851,448 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:27 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2675) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6016704 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2672) (2673) (2674) (2675) (2676) (2677) (2678) ... (2850) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:12pm On Oct 27, 2022
24 units of M-346FA, there's no way Nigerian Air Force Alpha Jets survives this.

The M-346FA is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

It looks cute, almost like the puppy you want to stroke, but it packs a deadly punch.

After nearly 45 years NAF DoDo birds are about going to the great beyond.

Another excellent choice.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 8:16pm On Oct 27, 2022
Lurker4Long:
Have I mentioned I miss Henry's best photo thingy?
That's true!

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 8:18pm On Oct 27, 2022
kabe1:

China and Poland.

Z-20 - Chinese BlackHawk Ripoff. The United States would likely sanction us to our bone marrows.

S70i Black Hawks from Poland (PZL Mielec Poland).

Philippines signs $624m deal to purchase 32 S70i Black Hawks

https://www.airforce-technology.com/news/philippines-s70i-black-hawks/#:~:text=The%20Philippines%20Department%20of%20National,purchased%20from%20Poland's%20PZL%20Mielic.

The contract also covers an integrated logistics support package and deliveries are expected to begin soon.
In other news...there is none

Chai
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 8:20pm On Oct 27, 2022
Nemesis4you, your guys say we have the craziest pilots! Our pilots say it's the least they can do seeing your guys have the best Officers Mess and hospitality.
Both say your Lilliputians going west means the bad guys will be found east! grin grin grin

Lubero, North Kivu, DRC - Alerted to the suspected presence of armed elements in the north-east of Mambassa and south-west of Kipese, in Lubero territory , MONUSCO's Indian peacekeepers launched a search and neutralization operation in the jungles adjacent to the localities of Itili, Useko, Lobango, Kavisiri and Kitsombiro. The aim was to prevent the armed groups from carrying out their operations, thereby protecting civilians. Photo MONUSCO/ Force

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:26pm On Oct 27, 2022
T-129 and AH-1Z are two excellent platforms.

Question is, why do we need these 2, when we could have bought 18 units of one?

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:28pm On Oct 27, 2022
Odunayaw:
In other news...there is none

Chai

AW-149 from Leonardo is the other option.

AW-149 since we are a big Leonardo customer already.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 8:30pm On Oct 27, 2022
Odunayaw:
That's true!

BTW, have you seen this latest one, for your collection?
Available also as an ebook on Amazon, together with Johan's earlier one on his time in PMCs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 8:33pm On Oct 27, 2022
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 8:41pm On Oct 27, 2022
kabe1:

Finally you're asking the right questions.
Personally, and this is no opinion on the aircraft, I'd opt for the T-129. Reason: every helicopter pilot I know says wheels give you more options than skids!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:01pm On Oct 27, 2022
Can we get 12 x units of JF-17s?

15 x units of JF-17

12 x units of F-7NI

.......For Multi-role, Air Defense and Air Interdiction.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 9:13pm On Oct 27, 2022
Lurker4Long:

BTW, have you seen this latest one, for your collection?
Available also as an ebook on Amazon, together with Johan's earlier one on his time in PMCs in Iraq and Afghanistan.
This author's name seems familiar. I think so far I've read Hoetman, Koos and the Executive Outcomes man

I'd check it out. Anything on Recce guys is sweet
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 9:16pm On Oct 27, 2022
kabe1:

First thing to come to mind is overdependence. But one country can ground the 2 grin

kabe1:

AW-149 from Leonardo is the other option.

AW-149 since we are a big Leonardo customer already.
The bird will likely be overpriced
kabe1:

15 x units of JF-17

12 x units of F-7NI

I think the military will have a hard time convincing the next administration about this JF17
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:22pm On Oct 27, 2022
Odunayaw:
First thing to come to mind is overdependence. But one country can ground the 2 grin

The helicopters are both American. grin grin

12 x T-129 and 6 x AH-1Z would have made more sense to me.

We won't be able to deploy the AH-1Z as wide as we want, why buy more if this a political purchase.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:31pm On Oct 27, 2022
Odunayaw:

The bird will likely be overpriced
I think the military will have a hard time convincing the next administration about this JF17

I think so too, I wonder what the issue is.

For me, I don't foresee any frontline fighter jet purchase for the Air Force.

It might take 10 years before we see any fighter jet purchase for the air force, as I don't see how they would fit in.

We can't also have an Agressor squadron of JF-17, J-10 and F-7NI. It doesn't make any sense.

I think NAF will increase their C-295 order to atleast 5 x units.

Then it's bye bye to further aircraft purchases after this.

Perhaps they might look at the C-130s, that's a likelyhood though.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 9:34pm On Oct 27, 2022
Meanwhile, in Mozambique.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 10:12pm On Oct 27, 2022
Odunayaw:
The D- Dock in LPD should tell you something about them having well decks man

LHD prime focus is moving & support for air assets, and that's not something any LPD can do conveniently and consistently

One is called an amphibious assault ship and the other an amphibious transport ship for a reason.

Personally I wanted the Makassar LPD but the LSTs will have to suffice.

Their job is just to deliver cargo and whatever air assets that is embarked on it can at best serve in logistics role.

History has shown that NAFs activities in expeditionary role is logistics, ISR and Air Interdiction. That's why he mentioned Jets & UAVs
both LPDs and LHDs transport and land landing forces and both have decks capable of accommodating helicopters.... Yes LHDs have larger decks(and generally are larger) and thus accommodate more helicopters but essentially they do the same thing.

FYI there are LPDs with well decks as well

Also yes I agree an LPD could be better for Nigeria budget wise vs an LHD
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 10:16pm On Oct 27, 2022
Lurker4Long:
Meanwhile, in Mozambique.
why is everybody wearing our plat armour vests?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:26pm On Oct 27, 2022
17 new Nigerian Air Force pilots winged

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 11:27pm On Oct 27, 2022
jl115:
both LPDs and LHDs transport and land landing forces and both have decks capable of accommodating helicopters.... Yes LHDs have larger decks(and generally are larger) and thus accommodate more helicopters but essentially they do the same thing.

FYI there are LPDs with well decks as well

Also yes I agree an LPD could be better for Nigeria budget wise vs an LHD
Yes that's what I was telling you! All LPDs have well decks!

You were the one saying they don't and making it as a difference between a LHD & LPD
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 11:30pm On Oct 27, 2022
kabe1:

We won't be able to deploy the AH-1Z as wide as we want, why buy more if this a political purchase.
I so much dislike the AH-1Z deal. But it's no use crying over spilt milk now

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 11:34pm On Oct 27, 2022
kabe1:

I think so too, I wonder what the issue is.

For me, I don't foresee any frontline fighter jet purchase for the Air Force.

It might take 10 years before we see any fighter jet purchase for the air force, as I don't see how they would fit in.

We can't also have an Agressor squadron of JF-17, J-10 and F-7NI. It doesn't make any sense.

I think NAF will increase their C-295 order to atleast 5 x units.

Then it's bye bye to further aircraft purchases after this.

Perhaps they might look at the C-130s, that's a likelyhood though.
Yes, I believe the lift fleet is the only part that may be touched by next admin

One reason I can sit easy a little on the JF17 is because I expect that in 4yrs, there'd be access to better fighters on the market.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Exnavyboy62: 12:30am On Oct 28, 2022
Odunayaw:

Even me too, how can we buy attack helicopters from someone and the person will be dictating when, where and how to use it. The same goes for the A29 tucanos.

I for one think the airforce should hand over all it's attack helicopters to the Army while all drones/UAV should be transferred to the possession of the Airforce.
I mean the modern day battlefield is changing. We see how some helicopters are brought down by ManPads in Ukraine. We are also seeing how UCAVs are being used effectively.
So since the Nigerian Army is complaining of lack of timely close air support and that it wants it's aviation wing, it will be just proper if the Airforce transfers it's Mil Mi 35 and AW-109 Power attack helicopter and the incoming ones to the army, while the Army transfers it's UAVs including the new Bayraktars to the airforce

The Army will not have to worry about the helicopters being brought down because I don't think bandits have the much needed anti-aircraft firepower to do so.
While the Airforce will be using UAVs for surveillance and ground attack as it's the new trend in some prominent airforce's in the world.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 7:19am On Oct 28, 2022
Odunayaw:
Yes that's what I was telling you! All LPDs have well decks!

You were the one saying they don't and making it as a difference between a LHD & LPD
we debating semantics at this point.... But I think we both can agree that an Amphibious warship with the capacity to Carry helicopters(be it an LDP or LHD) would greatly benefit Nigeria

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 8:04am On Oct 28, 2022
kabe1:

That story about restrictions on Nigeria is partly false.

There was an advice to comply with with human rights regulations and not use them in roles that have nothing to do with ARMED THREATS. That's was it. Strong language wasn't even used. There wasn't any threat of sanctions at all. Nigerian government got too paranoid about it and restricted themselves themselves.

US Sanctions on military parts due to a violation is not a common thing. Very rare. Even if that happens, it will be very difficult for any sanctions to happen because it will hurt both countries.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 8:11am On Oct 28, 2022
kabe1:

AH 1Z is used equipment. I believe it's coming from Israel.

Also Cobra is battle tested while the T129 is new equipment.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:12am On Oct 28, 2022
Odunayaw:

I don't like the deal either, but we have to live with it.

The fact about the matter is, I believe the AH-1Z deal is political.

The error I think we made is going for 12 units, when we should have stuck with 6 units.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:12am On Oct 28, 2022
Faithful007:
AH 1Z is used equipment. I believe it's coming from Israel.

Also Cobra is battle tested while the T129 is new equipment.

What are you talking about?

Who told you we are buying used equipment?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:13am On Oct 28, 2022
Faithful007:
That story about restrictions on Nigeria is partly false.

There was an advice to comply with with human rights regulations and not use them in roles that have nothing to do with ARMED THREATS. That's was it. Strong language wasn't even used. There wasn't any threat of sanctions at all. Nigerian government got too paranoid about it and restricted themselves themselves.

US Sanctions on military parts due to a violation is not a common thing. Very rare. Even if that happens, it will be very difficult for any sanctions to happen because it will hurt both countries.

Please provide evidence.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:19am On Oct 28, 2022
Odunayaw:
Yes, I believe the lift fleet is the only part that may be touched by next admin

One reason I can sit easy a little on the JF17 is because I expect that in 4yrs, there'd be access to better fighters on the market.

That's why I projected 10 years, I don't see how the Nigerian Air Force would get approval for Multi-role fighter jets in the near future.

I don't see any better fighter options available to Nigeria in the next 4 years outside the JF-17, J-10 and F-16.

The Russians are completely out of the market.

So we only have the J-10 and JF-17 as the only viable options really.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 8:28am On Oct 28, 2022
kabe1:

15 x units of JF-17

12 x units of F-7NI

Israel has solid F16s on sale. I don't know why I don't fancy that JF17 aircraft. It looks too old to be a new aircraft for me.

Instead of buying more units, I will make orders for Chinese J-31.

The F-7s are an unnecessary weight. They should be sold off now they are fresh from overhaul.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 8:51am On Oct 28, 2022
Faithful007:
Israel has solid F16s on sale. I don't know why I don't fancy that JF17 aircraft. It looks too old to be a new aircraft for me.

Instead of buying more units, I will make orders for Chinese J-31.

The F-7s are an unnecessary weight. They should be sold off now they are fresh from overhaul.
you can't order something that technically doesn't exist yet, also I doubt they would offer it for export anytime soon

Kabe1 is correct, Nigerias best option would be additional jf17s

(1) (2) (3) ... (2672) (2673) (2674) (2675) (2676) (2677) (2678) ... (2850) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: Odunayaw(m)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76