Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,550 members, 7,850,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:22 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2676) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6015935 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2673) (2674) (2675) (2676) (2677) (2678) (2679) ... (2850) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:53am On Oct 28, 2022
Faithful007:
Israel has solid F16s on sale. I don't know why I don't fancy that JF17 aircraft. It looks too old to be a new aircraft for me.

Instead of buying more units, I will make orders for Chinese J-31.

The F-7s are an unnecessary weight. They should be sold off now they are fresh from overhaul.

The JF-17 has a functional design. Looking at the capabilities the Nigerian Air Force JF-17 has, it shows it's a capable aircraft and will serve us well.

My problem is, the JF-17 is not the aircraft for the future, if we had the block 3 variant, that would have been a different discussion.

While the F-16 is a very good aircraft, only variants from the Block 52 upwards are suitable for the battlefields of today and the future.

Also we cannot have a frontline aircraft with so much restrictions. That's the same issue we might have with the AH-1Z.

The J-31 is not in service anywhere, not even in China.

The F-7s are functional, they are not the best but with the recent upgrades, they will fill in a gab especially in our air defence, Air Interdiction and air policing structure.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 8:53am On Oct 28, 2022
Faithful007:
AH 1Z is used equipment. I believe it's coming from Israel.

Also Cobra is battle tested while the T129 is new equipment.
Israel don't operate AH-1Z viper but cobra
What i believe is the ones Pakistan ordered that wasn't delivered
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:58am On Oct 28, 2022
jl115:
you can't order something that technically doesn't exist yet, also I doubt they would offer it for export anytime soon

Kabe1 is correct, Nigerias best option would be additional jf17s

12 x units of JF-17 Block 3.

That's what I think Nigeria needs. However I don't see that happening anytime soon.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:59am On Oct 28, 2022
PLAAF J-20

8 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:30am On Oct 28, 2022
Where is the Nigerian army in all of this?

Did the army leave the group chat?

Please FG should not purchase more MRAPs except if we are buying from Proforce.

The Nigerian army is in need of Tanks, Artillery, IFVs, Tank Destroyers and Anti-Tank systems.

The military army and navy got a large number of logistics vehicles, which have been put to use in dealing with the flood problem.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 9:37am On Oct 28, 2022
kabe1:

12 x units of JF-17 Block 3.

That's what I think Nigeria needs. However I don't see that happening anytime soon.
agree
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Exnavyboy62: 9:59am On Oct 28, 2022
kabe1:

That's why I projected 10 years, I don't see how the Nigerian Air Force would get approval for Multi-role fighter jets in the near future.

I don't see any better fighter options available to Nigeria in the next 4 years outside the JF-17, J-10 and F-16.

The Russians are completely out of the market.

So we only have the J-10 and JF-17 as the only viable options really.

Other options we could go for are;
HAL Tejas LCA mk1a
JAS 39 Gripen NG

But I think 12 to 16 units of JF 17 block 3 by 2027 should be the target due to costs
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 10:54am On Oct 28, 2022
kabe1:
The commitment of the government to fix security in Nigeria is incredible.

Imagine if we saw these investments during the time of former President GEJ.

Where would we have been today.

Just incredible!!!

We need to keep churning out the pilots.

Will get there some day....

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 10:58am On Oct 28, 2022
kabe1:
Where is the Nigerian army in all of this?

Did the army leave the group chat?

Please FG should not purchase more MRAPs except if we are buying from Proforce.

The Nigerian army is in need of Tanks, Artillery, IFVs, Tank Destroyers and Anti-Tank systems.

The military army and navy got a large number of logistics vehicles, which have been put to use in dealing with the flood problem.

Honestly the NA top brass for me.........
I expected more MBT, AFV/IFV/MRAPs both wheeled and tracked types. Am having mixed feelings; am glad the airforce is getting more modernized and the army is somehow way too slow.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 11:08am On Oct 28, 2022
bidexiii:

Honestly the NA top brass for me.........
I expected more MBT, AFV/IFV/MRAPs both wheeled and tracked types. Am having mixed feelings; am glad the airforce is getting more modernized and the army is somehow way too slow.

The army seems way behind. I hope they get modernized also.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 11:08am On Oct 28, 2022
Exnavyboy62:

Other options we could go for are;
HAL Tejas LCA mk1a
JAS 39 Gripen NG

But I think 12 to 16 units of JF 17 block 3 by 2027 should be the target due to costs

I agree with you.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 11:16am On Oct 28, 2022
Toju200:
Israel don't operate AH-1Z viper but cobra
What i believe is the ones Pakistan ordered that wasn't delivered
kabe1:

What are you talking about?

Who told you we are buying used equipment?
I'm sorry that was wrong.

They are AH-1Z indeed. I confused it for the old deal which fell apart.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 11:44am On Oct 28, 2022
kabe1:

The JF-17 has a functional design. Looking at the capabilities the Nigerian Air Force JF-17 has, it shows it's a capable aircraft and will serve us well.

My problem is, the JF-17 is not the aircraft for the future, if we had the block 3 variant, that would have been a different discussion.

While the F-16 is a very good aircraft, only variants from the Block 52 upwards are suitable for the battlefields of today and the future.

Also we cannot have a frontline aircraft with so much restrictions. That's the same issue we might have with the AH-1Z.

The J-31 is not in service anywhere, not even in China.

The F-7s are functional, they are not the best but with the recent upgrades, they will fill in a gab especially in our air defence, Air Interdiction and air policing structure.
I don't know the F16s the Israeli's have available.

Why i recommended the J-31 is because it is being built for export, so there may not be technology transfer issues. And let's face it, Nigeria can do without frontline fighters for few years. There is no current geopolitical threat. If the J-31 stirrs up technology transfer problems, the FA-50 is a better choice then. FA-50/M346 good combo.

Forget about sanctions. It won't happen. Many countries with worse human rights records are being sold equipment. Sanctions these days only happen because of technology transfer, strategic competition and military industrial complex.

JF17 according to rumors is highly maneuverable but has inferior technology.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by raymexx: 11:58am On Oct 28, 2022
Fulanihardsmen militia are currently attacking villagers at Obinze in Owerri west local govt of Imo state where the headquarters of the 34 Artillery Brigade Nigerian army is located.
But instead of protecting the civilian community, the barracks has now turned into a hideout for fulani Terrorists after the attack villagers.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by raymexx: 12:00pm On Oct 28, 2022
The Nigerian army are now arresting and killing innocent youths who dare to stand up against the attacks of fulai Terrorists.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by raymexx: 12:15pm On Oct 28, 2022
This is all Nigerian military is good at

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 12:18pm On Oct 28, 2022
kabe1:

Please provide evidence.
This is as much as the evidence can get. You can use anything in an armed conflict so long as civilians are not affected. Bombs are used on snipers by the Air Force. We don't care how the person died or how pretty his remains look.

Note that "US Government Representatives" are just a respectful way of saying that military personnel will be involved in fulfilling the contract. In non-combatant roles of course.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by raymexx: 12:23pm On Oct 28, 2022
A grandmum and her grandchild where burnt alive during this particular attack by the Nigerian army .

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stargate254: 12:36pm On Oct 28, 2022
The Burden of war
Soldiers recovering at one of KDFs wellness center. More wellness centers are currently U/C in barracks across the country

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by raymexx: 12:45pm On Oct 28, 2022
But they run away from Boko Haram

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 1:24pm On Oct 28, 2022
Exnavyboy62:

Even me too, how can we buy attack helicopters from someone and the person will be dictating when, where and how to use it. The same goes for the A29 tucanos.

I for one think the airforce should hand over all it's attack helicopters to the Army while all drones/UAV should be transferred to the possession of the Airforce.
I mean the modern day battlefield is changing. We see how some helicopters are brought down by ManPads in Ukraine. We are also seeing how UCAVs are being used effectively.
So since the Nigerian Army is complaining of lack of timely close air support and that it wants it's aviation wing, it will be just proper if the Airforce transfers it's Mil Mi 35 and AW-109 Power attack helicopter and the incoming ones to the army, while the Army transfers it's UAVs including the new Bayraktars to the airforce

The Army will not have to worry about the helicopters being brought down because I don't think bandits have the much needed anti-aircraft firepower to do so.
While the Airforce will be using UAVs for surveillance and ground attack as it's the new trend in some prominent airforce's in the world.
Then NAF would have to transfer it's pilots, technicians and logistic officers to NA

Helicopter operations is not God-Is-Good-Motors business bro. I'm not saying NA cannot learn but IMO it's an unnecessary swelling/expansion of NA with what I perceive will have very little returns

So far we've seen UCAVs used in [semi] conventional conflicts. The use of costly missiles is easily justified by the targets. But okada/toyota insurgents?

The times NA complained of air support was greatly due to the fragmented nature of command and control in the theatre. To an extent, each service was doing its own thing.
That has been addressed greatly under the current CDS.

+ Then we just didn't have the platform for persistent CAS (which I believe it is still a pipe dream because if you ask what they need now the first country that will come out of their lips is America!)
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 1:26pm On Oct 28, 2022
kabe1:

That's why I projected 10 years, I don't see how the Nigerian Air Force would get approval for Multi-role fighter jets in the near future.

I don't see any better fighter options available to Nigeria in the next 4 years outside the JF-17, J-10 and F-16.

The Russians are completely out of the market.

So we only have the J-10 and JF-17 as the only viable options really.
Even if Russia were in the market I'd not be happy with any fighter purchase from them.

In 4 years time; Turkey, South Korea and India may be another outlet for us

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nemesis4you: 2:13pm On Oct 28, 2022
Lurker4Long:

going west means the bad guys will be found east! grin grin grin

grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 8:47pm On Oct 28, 2022
Faithful007:
I'm sorry that was wrong.

They are AH-1Z indeed. I confused it for the old deal which fell apart.
What Israel have the Cobra with upgrades .
What Nigeria will get : Vipers with upgrades.
Two different Helicopters.
The vipers will not be the ones the PAF didn’t get.
The Vipers will be manufactured by Bell Helicopters.
This is also a G2-G2 sanctioned buy between Nigeria and the USA .
Hence it will take longer .
This has absolutely nothing to do with Israel , or even Pakistan for that matter.
Expect total delivery 2025.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 8:47pm On Oct 28, 2022
A clean sheet 9 Milly subbie with an innovative take down design allowing for concealment and ease of covert carrying; the KH P Covert from Brugge and Thommet, Switzerland- who else?

[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJWvRG_DaxQ/url]

They already make what some call the finest 7.62 NATO on the planet, the 4000$ B&T . 308.
It'll be a limited production run of max a few thousand so expect to pay min 2500$ if you're lucky enough to be in a country where you're allowed full auto weapons.
Germanic engineering, guys!

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stormtrooper11(m): 8:56pm On Oct 28, 2022
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 8:56pm On Oct 28, 2022
Faithful007:
I don't know the F16s the Israeli's have available.

Why i recommended the J-31 is because it is being built for export, so there may not be technology transfer issues. And let's face it, Nigeria can do without frontline fighters for few years. There is no current geopolitical threat. If the J-31 stirrs up technology transfer problems, the FA-50 is a better choice then. FA-50/M346 good combo.

Forget about sanctions. It won't happen. Many countries with worse human rights records are being sold equipment. Sanctions these days only happen because of technology transfer, strategic competition and military industrial complex.

JF17 according to rumors is highly maneuverable but has inferior technology.

You sound like an Indian grin or their apologist, either way who told you the JF-17 Thunder has inferior technology and by that what do you mean because you clearly just made public mockery of your amateurism. Who's rumour!

The JF-17 by its modular nature incorporates tech from varied sovereign suppliers example is the ASELPOD from ASELSAN of Turkey which has proven excellent in NAF air war campaign. Except you are saying that's an inferior tech which belies the evidence we all see in action. That being the case your assertion is baseless.

Who says Nigeria does not have a geopolitical threat. Unlike other countries in Africa with the exception of Egypt, Nigeria is constantly in an existential threat from major power competition, state and non-state actors which requires a mix of combat assets that meet the threshold of high and low threat environments something the NAF has fulfilled in its ORBAT with its combination of the JF-17s, F-7s, M-346 FAs, Tucanos, phased legacy A-Jets and L-39s.

So you looked at all the combos in the world and it's the FA-50 you considered with all the inhibitions that comes with it not least third party technology transfers, market amnesi.a, largely unproven tech and avionics in combat. No it is an amateur choice to pair. The NAF is well in order with it's new and upgraded buys.

The NAF JF-17 is 4.5 generation. The F-7s are adequate and fast with excellent turn rates for pin-point air defence. I don't see a need for the J-31 thereby extending NAF maintenance. Rather I'd expect the next administration to look at setting up production lines in Nigeria to create high tech jobs and technology transfer even if its for parts of the Fighter Jet or assemblage of the aircrafts in Nigeria for sovereign purchase or export. The other option for the next government is the J-10. I do see a room for more acquisitions for the NAF. It is delusional to think only 3 JF-17s is enough deterrence against a well oiled foreign armada.

Ability to buy weapons is simply a matter of who likes your face and not your human rights record. The arms industry is all hypocrisy and of national interests. T'is not ice cream business.

The Israelis are well pampered by Uncle Sam that tells you what you need to know. Actually Israel is migrating more and more to the F-35.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:18pm On Oct 28, 2022
Covert1:

You sound like an Indian grin or their apologist, either way who told you the JF-17 Thunder has inferior technology and by that what do you mean because you clearly just made public mockery of your amateurism. Who's rumour!

The JF-17 by its modular nature incorporates tech from varied sovereign suppliers example is the ASELPOD from ASELSAN of Turkey which has proven excellent in NAF air war campaign. Except you are saying that's an inferior tech which belies the evidence we all see in action. That being the case your assertion is baseless.

Who says Nigeria does not have a geopolitical threat. Unlike other countries in Africa with the exception of Egypt, Nigeria is constantly in an existential threat from major power competition, state and non-state actors which requires a mix of combat assets that meet the threshold of high and low threat environments something the NAF has fulfilled in its ORBAT with the combination of the JF-17s, F-7s, M-346 FAs, Tucanos, phased legacy Alpha Jets and L-39s.

So you looked at all the combos in the world and it's the FA-50 you considered with all the inhibitions that comes with it not least third party technology transfers, market amnesi.a, largely unproven tech and avionics in combat. No it is an amateur choice to pair. The NAF is well in order with it's new and upgraded buys.

The NAF JF-17 is 4.5 generation. The F-7s are adequate and fast with excellent turn rates for pin-point air defence. I don't see a need for the J-31 thereby extending NAF maintenance. Rather I'd expect the next administration to look at setting up production lines in Nigeria to create high tech jobs and technology transfer even if its for parts of the Fighter Jet or assemblage of the aircrafts in Nigeria for sovereign purchase or export. The other option for the next government is the J-10. I do see a room for more acquisitions for the NAF. It is delusional to think only 3 JF-17s is enough deterrence against a well oiled foreign armada.

Ability to buy weapons is simply a matter of who likes your face and not your human rights record. The arms industry is all hypocrisy and of national interests. T'is not ice cream deals.

The Israelis are well pampered by Uncle Sam that tells you what you need to know. Actually Israel is migrating more and more to the F-35.

This is a brilliant post.

The fact the JF-17 can use the Aselpod, shows it's open architecture, and how upgradable the platform is.

I don't envisage any major fighter purchases for the Air Force in the near future. Except if the Nigerian Air Force lobbies very well. That's why I think, it's imperative we close out a squadron purchase of JF-17 Block 3 aircrafts as soon as we can.

The JF-17 and F-7s are Nigeria's primary air defense tools, 15 x units will not cut it.

The J-10 would also have been an ideal replacement, however I don't see this purchase happening.

In all, the Nigerian Air Force has invested in a mix of highly capable air assets to meet our current and future security threats.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:28pm On Oct 28, 2022
Nigerian army ST-1 Tank Destroyer

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:29pm On Oct 28, 2022
Nigerian made Proforce Viper Armoured Personnel Carrier

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:37pm On Oct 28, 2022
Nigerian Chief of Naval Staff trying his hands on a sniper rifle during working visit to Nigerian Navy Special Forces training in Poland

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:39pm On Oct 28, 2022
Nigerian Navy Special Forces completed their 3 months course in Poland

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2673) (2674) (2675) (2676) (2677) (2678) (2679) ... (2850) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.