Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,937 members, 7,835,124 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2780) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5992851 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2777) (2778) (2779) (2780) (2781) (2782) (2783) ... (2846) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 1:40pm On Mar 24, 2023
"It was a sad day at the SAPS K9 unit in Humansdorp on Monday, 20 March 2023 when one of our own four legged colleague sadly passed away an hour after saving his handler’s life while at the same time, making sure that a housebreaking suspect did not escape arrest.
The sad demise of Deacon, a Rottweiler started at about 07:30 on Monday morning when his handler, Sgt Pat Le Grange and Deacon responded to a call of housebreaking allegedly committed in the St Francis Bay area. After being informed that the suspect/s had entered the dense bushes in the area, Sgt Le Grange and Deacon pursued after them. When warnings to exit the bush had failed, the duo crawled into the thicket with Deacon leading the way on a long leash.
At some point, the handler heard a loud scream and he hastened to get to his dog. As Sgt Le Grange stood up, the suspect lunged at him with a knife. Deacon who had already been stabbed still got up to protect his handler and once again pounced on the suspect enabling his handler to arrest him. After Sgt Le Grange had secured his arrest, he realised that his dog was bleeding profusely and Deacon was rushed to a nearby vet for treatment.
However, after being stabilised and treated about an hour later, brave Deacon suffered a cardiac arrest due his injury and sadly crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. Deacon was 1 year and 9 months old and joined the crime fighting team at the Humansdorp K9 unit in July 2022.
The 19-year-old suspect was detained on charges of housebreaking, attack on a police official and malicious damage to property (for the death of Deacon). He appeared in the Humansdorp magistrate court on Wednesday, 22 March 2023.
Police dogs have proven to be pivotal to the success of operations in a multitude of cases whereby the handlers on their own would never have been successful. They (dogs) have the ability to go into places that ordinarily a human being would not be able to, they have the ability to detect incriminating items or items with evidential value just by using their senses. They are certainly part of the SAPS Family.
REST IN PEACE DEACON"

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 1:46pm On Mar 24, 2023
Raeblack:
Malawi has today received another consignment of relief items from the Zambian

I love how some countries operate....zero bureaucracy when it comes to giving out food to other countries... In SA, you will hardly see any food coming out of the national government to a different country, you may need to go through some impossible red tape if you had to do that.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 2:03pm On Mar 24, 2023
Lurker4Long:

You guys haven't yet mentioned the ICC warrant and the implications for the BRICS Summit here in August.
For what it's worth, I don't think the Ramaphosa admin would be as stupid as Zuma's and repeat the al-Bashir situation.
So I think Putin will be publically invited, but privately persuaded to stay home. That way, everybody saves face.

This guy raises interesting questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpwXOOR0aL8
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 2:22pm On Mar 24, 2023
Raeblack:
ZAF Mi-17 CREW DISTRIBUTES RELIEF FOOD IN MALAWI
Not only does actions like this help a country launder a good image, it gives a country's airforce the opportunity to test their mobility and logistics efficiency and response.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 10:49am On Mar 25, 2023
Botswana SF training with US Green Berets.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 11:01am On Mar 25, 2023
Meanwhile, in Mozambique.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stargate254: 2:40pm On Mar 25, 2023
Arrival of Burundi National Defence Forces troops under EACRF who have been deployed to Sake, Masisi territory DRC

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stargate254: 2:43pm On Mar 25, 2023
More

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stargate254: 3:11pm On Mar 25, 2023
Was reading a journal published by KDF (KDF Journal Vol 1:2023) and I'm glad KDF is trying to learn from history of other wars. Anyway, While I was reading I got Dejavu, Kind of feel like a similar strategy is being deployed by the US against Russia/Putin right now.

Soviet-Afghan War, 1979-1989
The Soviet Union considered Afghanistan to be of strategic importance to its national security. In 1978, the unpopular communist government in Afghanistan signed a 20 year friendship and cooperation treaty with the Soviet Union23. The Communist party, People’s Democratic Party of Afghanistan, which had previously staged a coup in Kabul in April,1978 received massive military and logistical support from the Soviet leadership. The party pushed for radical reforms with no consideration to the existing system where traditional tribal and religious leaders had a role in the governance of Afghanistan. This prompted resistance from an asymmetrical religious group, the Mujahedeen or “holy warriors”. The anti-Russian Mujahedeen were resilient in the face of the Russian scorchedearth policy, destruction of villages and food supplies in the villages. Finally, Afghanistan turned into a “bleeding wound” for the Soviet mighty Army. Ultimately resulting into the defeat of the Soviets. The defeat of the Soviets in Afghanistan, partly contributed to the collapse of the Soviet Union as the perception of the Red Army invincibility was shattered.
The defeat of the Soviet Union in Afghanistan was supported directly by the US who wanted to teach the Russians a lesson. It was reported that the US provided direct and indirect support towards Islamic radicalization through USAID who funded publication of textbooks promoting Islamic militancy. This was in addition to the supply of shoulder fired (stinger) anti-aircraft missiles which were used in firing at Russian low flying aircrafts. The Mujahedeen resistance triumphed.

US-Afghan War 2001-2021
Similar to other failed invasions in Afghanistan by other foreign powers, the U.S. equally
failed in its invasion of Afghanistan in the period 2001-2021. The U.S. invasion was provoked
by the 9/11 Al Qaeda attack on the World Trade Centre. The war which dragged for 20 years,
cost $2.313 trillion, 2,400 lives of the U.S. service members were lost with 46,000 civilians
killed27. Several reasons had been advanced as to why the U.S. failed in Afghanistan. Some
of the reasons included, lack of a proper understanding of Afghanistan’s social, cultural and
political background from an historical perspective.
Additionally, the U.S. troops did not have a clear definition of who the enemy was. Further,
the U.S. policy did not have clearly stated objectives neither was military role well-defined.
The U.S. withdrawal marked the end of the invasion and the Taliban took over the control of
the government. This marked another defeat from another strong conventional actor by an
asymmetrical opponent.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stargate254: 3:33pm On Mar 25, 2023
More about the same story

Conclusion
Clearly, the conventional and asymmetrical approaches to warfare are different. The ‘paradoxical trinity’ is different for the two setups save for the pillar of people or Ummah. The two groups have different worldviews as to why they should engage in conflict where one party views the objective is to protect national interests while the other party views the aim is to fulfil heavenly and divine purpose. The conventional Army is superior and wellresourced by the Nation State, a factor which makes it underestimate the potency of the meek religious opponent. The failure to thoroughly analyse the enemy, the over confidence and assumption that occupying territory is the measure of success, leads to the ultimate failure. The asymmetrical opponent puts effort to occupy the terrain in the hearts of the people by religious appeal or by being seen to represent the oppressed.

Recommendations
Both the conventional and asymmetrical warfare have in common the ‘paradoxical trinity’ pillar of People. It is recommended that emphasis be placed on winning hearts and minds of people in order to deny the religious extremist groups a foothold in the people. In Afghanistan, ignoring the people ‘tribes’ was the beginning of the failure of the mighty Armies who ventured in that country. The local systems mobilized along tribal and religious lines, hence they were able to endure and resist the occupation forces. It is recommended that in planning to counter the asymmetrical warfare, the emphasis should be to win “war of ideas” other than the “battle of ideas.” The war of ideas involves promoting strategic interests to win hearts and minds of the population masses through calculated psychological operations. The battle of ideas is won through one-time success through propaganda, military operation into the militants’ hideout, seizure and occupation of territory among other conventional acts.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stargate254: 4:22pm On Mar 25, 2023
Lurker4Long:

You guys haven't yet mentioned the ICC warrant and the implications for the BRICS Summit here in August.
For what it's worth, I don't think the Ramaphosa admin would be as stupid as Zuma's and repeat the al-Bashir situation.
So I think Putin will be publicly invited, but privately persuaded to stay home. That way, everybody saves face.
But despite all the theatrics and the pressure that foreign powers put on the country that Bashir was visiting next, non of those countries ever even attempted to do that. If they couldn't arrest the president of a 3rd world country with no force projection, who would dare arrest Putin and face the consequences? Even the US will not dare if he chooses to attend UNGA meeting in New York.

75 TRIPS TO 22 COUNTRIES IN 7 YEARS: AN INDICTED WAR CRIMINAL’S TRAVELS
President Omar al-Bashir of Sudan has clocked in thousands of miles flying across the world since 2009, despite being a wanted war criminal.

Over seven years ago the International Criminal Court (ICC) issued a warrant for al-Bashir’s arrest for his role in the Darfur genocide, accusing him of overseeing murder, extermination, forcible transfer, rape, and torture, as well as directing pillaging and other attacks against civilians. The warrant has not stopped the dictator—one of the longest serving in the world—from traveling 75 times to 22 countries since then, seemingly without fear of prosecution.
Few countries, including the seven he visited that are signatories to the ICC, harbor the political will to arrest him, despite the ICC urging all states to cooperate fully with the warrant for his arrest. On Saturday, Bashir travelled to Indonesia to head the opening session for an extraordinary Islamic summit, a country the Sudanese president was unable to visit last year due to pressure from several protesting countries. In February Bashir attended the African Investment Forum (AIF) in Egypt, where Sudan, Egypt, and Ethiopia agreed to strengthen ties. It is his sixth trip to the country, a signatory of the ICC that refuses to execute the warrant, since 2009.
https://nubareports.org/bashir-travels/
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 5:21pm On Mar 25, 2023
Stargate254:

But despite all the theatrics and the pressure that foreign powers put on the country that Bashir was visiting next, non of those countries ever even attempted to do that. If they couldn't arrest the president of a 3rd world country with no force projection, who would dare arrest Putin and face the consequences? Even the US will not dare if he chooses to attend UNGA meeting in New York.

I don't much care for every other country's position.
I do however, care very much that my country upholds its own domestic laws, which stipulate that ICC warrants have to be effected. The Zuma administration shamefully broke SA law when it didn't arrest Al-Bashir, and when a court ruled they had to, they bundled him into an airport all while lying that they couldn't find him!
I do not find edifying, the spectacle of my government breaking SA law for some genocidal thug. So best they tell Vlad the Thug to make up some excuse and stay home, lest they be forced into a choice between geopolitics and the law.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Exnavyboy62: 9:02am On Mar 26, 2023
And this, gentlemen is how the US created the Taliban and kick started terrorism.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 10:34am On Mar 26, 2023
Wow, I have been around for a decade

Happy 10-Year Anniversary to me! 🥂🥂

12 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by paafin(m): 7:05pm On Mar 26, 2023
Lurker4Long:

I don't much care for every other country's position.
I do however, care very much that my country upholds its own domestic laws, which stipulate that ICC warrants have to be effected. The Zuma administration shamefully broke SA law when it didn't arrest Al-Bashir, and when a court ruled they had to, they bundled him into an airport all while lying that they couldn't find him!
I do not find edifying, the spectacle of my government breaking SA law for some genocidal thug. So best they tell Vlad the Thug to make up some excuse and stay home, lest they be forced into a choice between geopolitics and the law.

Let me make it stinging clear to you!

South African government can never and will never arrest Putin over some Western funded ICC bullshit!!

9 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 7:13pm On Mar 26, 2023
paafin:

South African government can never and will never arrest Putin over some Western funded ICC bullshit!!

And who the fvck is this one now?
Come back when you learn to read with comprehension.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Exnavyboy62: 7:25pm On Mar 26, 2023
GreenandGold:

Here's to a veteran who has witnessed the good, bad and ugly side of life in this Nairaland online-verse and the tragedy and comedy of online civil warfare on this military thread.Faithful to nairaland for 10 years despite all the psychological, emotional damages from vawulence, now that's one hell of a tough, unbroken spirit you've got in you.
Many are willing but a few make it(May the soul of Kikuyu1 rest in perfect peace and he be admitted into the ranks of the righteous souls😔).
Cheers boss🍻😁

9 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 10:29pm On Mar 26, 2023
Exnavyboy62:

Here's to a veteran who has witnessed the good, bad and ugly side of life in this Nairaland online-verse and the tragedy and comedy of online civil warfare on this military thread.Faithful to nairaland for 10 years despite all the psychological, emotional damages from vawulence, now that's one hell of a tough, unbroken spirit you've got in you.
Many are willing but a few make it(May the soul of Kikuyu1 rest in perfect peace and he be admitted into the ranks of the righteous souls😔).
Cheers boss🍻😁

In South African lingo, I will say dankie my broer 👍😊

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenOris: 11:04pm On Mar 26, 2023
GreenandGold:

In South African lingo, I will say dankie my broer 👍😊
As someone who has exusted 4 MONICA'S on this forum.
Can you please tell US tell what you have learnt on this FORUM

You can ignore if you wish...

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 12:00am On Mar 27, 2023
GreenOris:

As someone who has exusted 4 MONICA'S on this forum.
Can you please tell US tell what you have learnt on this FORUM

You can ignore if you wish...

I learnt that time flies so fast, I mean it was just a moment ago when I joined Nairaland, I remember the day very well, it was during my lunchtime and I was eager to join the debate of the day ... I also learnt if I had not spent so much time here, I would have been a millionaire by now grin grin

To think about it, below is the phone model I used to join Nairaland ... time flies hey

8 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 12:54am On Mar 27, 2023
Stargate254:

The United States does not recognize the ICC.

If he chooses to come, which he won't, he may not be allowed into US airspace. However I doubt if the US government will be willing to take such a step because it may trigger the end of a single UNGA venue.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 12:56am On Mar 27, 2023
paafin:

And here's another Nigerian who wants to be the mouthpiece of another country.

Are you even aware the guy you're quoting is from South Africa?

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 7:54am On Mar 27, 2023
Faithful007:
And here's another Nigerian who wants to be the mouthpiece of another country.

Are you even aware the guy you're quoting is from South Africa?

I think he knows, and I suspect it's that which led him to respond not to what I wrote, but what he thought I wrote.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 1:10pm On Mar 27, 2023
Stargate254:
Arrival of Burundi National Defence Forces troops under EACRF who have been deployed to Sake, Masisi territory DRC

Love how the Kenyans and Ugandans have delegated the job of keeping the M23 busy to the Burundians... grin grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 1:21pm On Mar 27, 2023
GreenandGold:

Love how the Kenyans and Ugandans have delegated the job of keeping the M23 busy to the Burundians... grin grin
There's 40+ armed groups roaming the Kivus. As they roam wherever the whim takes them, any sectoral allocation guarantees contact with at least 5 of them.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 1:36pm On Mar 27, 2023
Lurker4Long:

There's 40+ armed groups roaming the Kivus. As they roam wherever the whim takes them, any sectoral allocation guarantees contact with at least 5 of them.

Makes sense if you put it like that.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by davefurn: 2:31pm On Mar 27, 2023
GreenandGold:

Cheers bro

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 5:25pm On Mar 27, 2023
GreenandGold:

Congratulations, may you have many more years here

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 5:27pm On Mar 27, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0NabV9YCE0

Documentary about the prisoners from Russia prisons who VOLUNTEERED for a six month Wagner tour. I don't doubt there were Africans in there, especially Nigerians
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 5:59pm On Mar 27, 2023
Tinfoil:

Congratulations, may you have many more years here

🤙🤜🙏
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 12:22pm On Mar 28, 2023
Extra R1 billion for SAAF to get C-130 Hercules airworthy

National Treasury has granted the South African Air Force (SAAF) an extra R1 billion to get its six C-130BZ Hercules transports airworthy, but a decision has not been taken on whether to accept two additional Hercules from the United States as this would require additional funding.

National Treasury, in its February budget, allocated an additional R1 billion in 2023/24 to the “medium air transport capability” of the SAAF. Major General Thembelani Xundu on 22 March explained to the Portfolio Committee on Defence and Military Veterans (PCDMV) how funding would be spent on the six remaining C-130s (the SAAF had nine serviceable examples but two have been written off in accidents and one has been cannibalised for spares).

The tail numbers of the C-130s that the SAAF wants to be kept flying are 401, 402, 405, 406, 408, and 409. However, between now and 2029, this will cost just over R4 billion. Maintaining and overhauling the C-130 fleet in 2023/24 will cost R455 million and R373 million the following year, Xundu’s presentation revealed.

He said that major servicing and upgrade of 405 and 409 can be funded, with major servicing to be done in the UK “by the company that did the upgrade of the BZs in the 1990s” (Marshall Aerospace). 405’s major service and upgrade is scheduled for mid-2024 – this will take about 18 months. 409 has 180 hours left before its major service is required.

The SAAF aims to have at least one or two C-130s operational at any time while the others undergo maintenance. 405 is supposed to be serviceable but is currently undergoing maintenance at Denel – this was supposed to be completed in November 2022, but should be finished this month.

As for the two surplus C-130H Hercules offered by the United States, Xundu said there are still discussions at the Department of Defence over financing this. “If the Department of Defence takes the decision to take them, the Air Force calculates we will need R900 million extra,” he said.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/aerospace/aerospace-aerospace/extra-r1-billion-for-saaf-to-get-c-130-hercules-airworthy/

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 12:27pm On Mar 28, 2023
Russian attack helicopters turned the tide against the LRA – UPDF

The Uganda People’s Defence Force’s (UPDF’s) Russian attack helicopter fleet – which now includes Mi-28NEs – helped turn the tide in the fight against the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), the Ugandan military has said.

Ugandan Air Force Commander, Lieutenant General Charles Okidi, said “there is no doubt that the introduction of the attack helicopters into the battlefield changed the tides of war in Northern Uganda against the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) in favour of the UPDF and continue to do so in the subsequent operations. So, with the acquisition of new air assets, we are ready to serve our beloved country more in that capacity.”

Okidi was speaking on 22 March during a passing out parade for 12 newly qualified pilots and 52 technicians who had completed an eight months training course at Soroti Air Force Wing. Okidi commended them for their discipline and resilience during training and urged them to ensure the safety of the newly acquired aircraft.

Okidi added that continuous training would help the Air Force provide the much-needed air power for joint operations in supporting ground operations.

Mi-28NEs were for the first time seen in Uganda in June 2022 during a visit to Entebbe Air Base by Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni, who was there to thank members of the Air Force for their assistance in neutralising ADF rebels during Operation Shujaa in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

According to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute’s Arms Transfers database, Uganda ordered six Mi-28s in 2020, and three were delivered last year.

The Mi-28 first flew in November 1982 as a replacement for the Mi-24/25. The Mi-28N Night Hunter day/night version flew in November 1996 and features a radar mounted on the rotor mast. The Mi-28N is armed with up to 16 Shturm and Ataka anti-tank missiles. Shturm is a short-range, radio command-guided missile while the Ataka missile’s guidance is by narrow radar beam. Maximum range of the missile is 8 km. The helicopter can also carry 80 mm or 122 mm rockets and gun pods. The helicopter is equipped with a turreted 30 mm cannon.

Other Mi-28 operators include Algeria, Iraq, and Russia.

The UPDF has about a dozen Mi-24/35 attack helicopters in service along with several Mi-8/Mi-17s, several AB 206 Jet Rangers, half a dozen Bell 205s, and a couple of Bell 212 helicopters. Five refurbished Huey II helicopters were delivered from 2017.

In January 2022, Museveni commissioned a helicopter maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) facility, which is refurbishing UPDF Mi-24 helicopters. The facility at Nakosongola Air Base is a joint venture by the UPDF’s commercial arm, the National Enterprise Corporation (NEC), and Pro-heli International, a Russian company.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/aerospace/aerospace-aerospace/mi-28-turned-the-tide-against-the-lra-updf/

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2777) (2778) (2779) (2780) (2781) (2782) (2783) ... (2846) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.