Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,196 members, 7,818,652 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. (12958 Views)

Policeman Returns Woman's Purse With N200million / Fayemi, Sumaila And Some Other Entourage Of Buhari Take A Street Pix In US / Buhari Introduces His Grandchildren To Fayemi, Amaechi (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Aug 09, 2013
Gbawe:

You are insulting Nigerian leaders based on your own misunderstanding of what is reported here. These brilliant students gained admission abroad themselves and appealed to Fayemi for help. He has chosen to help some of them. This is commendable as a stand-alone act of philanthropy.
No one is excusing the rot in the education sector or denying that we need to work towards hosting world-class institution of learning but those issues are not intrinsically related to this act of philanthropy from Fayemi.

I am sorry you misunderstood my message. I have to admit, though, I did not put it as well as I should have. The act by Fayemi is somewhat commendable and I am actually quite happy for the individuals concerned. The frustration in my post was directed at the present general state of things and the fact that for the six success stories here, there are thousands in Ekiti and millions across Nigeria that continue to needlessly miss the boat.

I do not agree with you that our leaders do not not deserve to be insulted, however I (mis)understood what was posted. Obviously there are exceptions like Fashola but certainly the leaders in Abuja and most of the governors are a different breed. You cannot begin to explain a lot of things in this country without first attesting to the fact that our leaders actually define a special kind of idiotic.
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 09, 2013
DanNafada:

Hi Gbawe

I am sorry you misunderstood my message. I have to admit, though, I did not put it as well as I should have. The act by Fayemi is somewhat commendable and I am actually quite happy for the individuals concerned. The frustration in my post was directed at the present general state of things and the fact that for the six success stories here, there are thousands in Ekiti and millions across Nigeria that continue to needlessly miss the boat.

I do not agree with you that our leaders do not not deserve to be insulted, however I (mis)understood what was posted. Obviously there are exceptions like Fashola but certainly the leaders in Abuja and most of the governors are a different breed. You cannot begin to explain a lot of things in this country without first attesting to the fact that our leaders actually define a special kind of idiot.

Best regards.

1. this is not the first time Fayemi sent out Ekitis to accomplish their academic dreams.

2. There are thousands of Ekiti around the globe and they found ways to be there themselves. The government cannot provide for us all.

Does Rochas Foundation provide for all Imolites?
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 09, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

1. this is not the first time Fayemi sent out Ekitis to accomplish their academic dreams.

2. There are thousands of Ekiti around the globe and they found ways to be there themselves. The government cannot provide for us all.

Does Rochas Foundation provide for all Imolites?

Basically what I am trying to say is:

Stop spending our money on a few to have expensive education abroad that will hardly benefit the country (a lot of them eventually stay abroad) and invest here at home so that both people and country can benefit.

Surely that is sensible?

2 Likes

Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by Inoknowbook: 8:38pm On Aug 09, 2013
Governors go take una money finish, abradakabra go happen, una go begin callam their money. Nawaaaooo!
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by occam(m): 8:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
Gbawe:

You are insulting Nigerian leaders based on your own misunderstanding of what is reported here. These brilliant students gained admission abroad themselves and appealed to Fayemi for help. He has chosen to help some of them. This is commendable as a stand-alone act of philanthropy.

I don't see why Fayemi, for a private act of charity, should now be insulted and held responsible for all that is wrong with Nigeria. The point is that those who have the means should be encouraged to do more through charitable actions. No one is excusing the rot in the education sector or denying that we need to work towards hosting world-class institution of learning but those issues are not intrinsically related to this act of philanthropy from Fayemi.

Charity huh? Fayemi is the chief executive of Ekiti not a private citizen. Any charitable act by him should be focused on uplifting all students of Ekiti state, not just a few regardless of the selection criteria. He must be seen to have the best interest of all at heart. As a governor, it's a thin line between private charity and public act.

It smacks too much of "show and tell", regardless of his intention

Besides why give scholarship to study law or engineering abroad? These courses are offered in most Nigerian universities. Nigeria already has too many lawyers. Why not select students that want to pursue rare and life changing scientific cousres such as Neuro physics, molecular biology etc. We need more scientist not barristers
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by obowunmi(m): 9:58pm On Aug 09, 2013
anonimi:

Just like so many others before them. Some of whom were even trained in Nigeria!!!

Dr. Fayemi has simply wasted the Ekiti state people's money that he stole while trying to impress the gullible ones who hail the gift of priviledges such as this foreign scholarship rather than ask for their right to free and COMPULSORY education of ALL children in Ekiti state.
Can you imagine an employee who is owed many months of salary BUT is given some food as Sallah/Christmas gift and saying the oga is good

That is how most of us MUMUs think!!!

You are bright. You are brilliant. You are smart. You get the point I was trying to make.

I hope Fayemi pays for all thier years of college. Because I know people who were sent out of the country and once the Governor was out of power. They were stuck, no one to pay fees for the remainder of thier school year.

If they're smart, they'll find someone to file for them and intelligently sort themselves out.
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by obowunmi(m): 9:59pm On Aug 09, 2013
Governors have to keep stealing from the masses for this to work. Or else, they be stuck abroad if them no get money for school fees.
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by Akiika: 10:25pm On Aug 09, 2013
OK, good gesture...but is this really coming from his pocket? these scholarships will at least cost $500,000.
How much does the Governor earn? What are his investments? How much is he worth?
Something is not adding up......Truth must be told!!!
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by Gbawe: 10:27pm On Aug 09, 2013
DanNafada:

Hi Gbawe

I do not agree with you that our leaders do not not deserve to be insulted, however I (mis)understood what was posted. Obviously there are exceptions like Fashola but certainly the leaders in Abuja and most of the governors are a different breed. You cannot begin to explain a lot of things in this country without first attesting to the fact that our leaders actually define a special kind of idiotic.

Best regards.

You will note that I have already agreed that praising Fayemi's act of philanthropy does not mean we sign off on all that is wrong with the education system. The substantive point is that there is a time and a place for everything. The report says that Fayemi is assisting these six students from his private purse.

We have to take this singular act of charity on its won merit and refrain from linking it with everything wrong with the education system which is another topic entirely and one which must be dealt with minus a desire to indict Fayemi based on his choice as a private citizen.
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by bokohalal(m): 3:43am On Aug 10, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Thank you grin grin grin
We just are....everyone that knows me says the same thing, let me not toot my own horn tongue tongue

Hahahahahahaha! I laff sotay I Humpty Dumpty
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by anonimi: 10:28am On Aug 10, 2013
Gbawe:

You will note that I have already agreed that praising Fayemi's act of philanthropy does not mean we sign off on all that is wrong with the education system. The substantive point is that there is a time and a place for everything. The report says that Fayemi is assisting these six students from his private purse.

We have to take this singular act of charity on its won merit and refrain from linking it with everything wrong with the education system which is another topic entirely and one which must be dealt with minus a desire to indict Fayemi based on his choice as a private citizen.

You smart gan ni, nor be small. Whoever you work for is getting his money's value.
In a country mostly populated by lazy people who can't research or simply take a little effort to find out things for themselves people like you will continue to be looked up to even if you are spinning incoherent things with a lot of colour.

So Dr. Fayemi who is primarily & solely RESPONSIBLE for education in Ekiti state should not be evaluated on that comprehensive basis in looking at his "private charity" to the so called "private" students
Oga, na you biko.
I wonder what next you will be spinning.
SMH!!!
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by Olaone1: 10:38am On Aug 10, 2013
^^ grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by afolabisegun(m): 11:57am On Aug 10, 2013
Let Them Focus and reform Nigeria Education and stop playing To The gallerry

1 Like

Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by JingoOAU(m): 1:22pm On Aug 10, 2013
Some of us are talking out of ignorance. There's no country that's an island on its own. Thousands of US citizens are being given scholarships to study abroad, some to canada, some to france,UK and so forth.

As big as china is, as economically viable as Japan is, they still give scholarship to their bright students to study abroad. Even in Nigeria, I know several french and britons that came all the way to OAU on scholarship to study.

In as much I wouldn't dispute the fact that our educational system is an outcry, Dr. Fayemi has clearly said that those beneficiaries are gonna enjoy the scholarship on his private pocket. Nevertheless, we should all console ourselves that not all first class students make it in life. The best bet for them is either to be a researcher or lecturer.

At this juncture, what is wrong with our FG and state govts to build a world class educational facilities that would be unrivalled throughtout Africa?
anonimi:

You smart gan ni, nor be small. Whoever you work for is getting his money's value.
In a country mostly populated by lazy people who can't research or simply take a little effort to find out things for themselves people like you will continue to be looked up to even if you are spinning incoherent things with a lot of colour.

So Dr. Fayemi who is primarily & solely RESPONSIBLE for education in Ekiti state should not be evaluated on that comprehensive basis in looking at his "private charity" to the so called "private" students
Oga, na you biko.
I wonder what next you will be spinning.
SMH!!!
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by Lamasta(m): 2:17pm On Aug 10, 2013
Billyonaire: The State Government is given billions of Naira every 4 weeks to manage the State, no one needs Governors mmoney, and from which purse did he get the money to sponsor 6 people abroad ? The same purse that the Federal Allocation ends up ? How can a Governor send people abroad, when state allocation of just 4 weeks is enough to transform any state university to harvard and other Ivy League schools.

It is a shame that we still have egg-heads as Governors who promote foreign studies and leave our schools to rotten. Little wonder they send all their kids abroad while we the 99% study in our universities.

Fayemi is not qualified to be a governor for this singular principle. Kudos to those 6 people who are 'lucky' to benefit from Federal Allocation from Fayemi's purse.

You actually spoke my mind
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 10, 2013
But why on earth has Fayemi not released Ekiti Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship list? He can't be sending students to Harvard, Oxford from his pockets while ignoring those studying in those schools already. It's time Ekiti stopped soliciting applications for scholarship if she's not financially buoyant to support students.

It's even an arrant nonsense that he's the one sending them overseas. Ekiti continues to churn out First Class students in huge numbers every year. Will he bankroll another six next year and every year? He should set up an Overseas Scholarship Trust and task the likes of Afe Bablola and Wole Olanipekun to champion it. Let them donate to the trust and ask every Ekiti anywhere in the world to contribute whatever penny they have and he should make the Trust independent of thieving politicians that will come after he leaves power. Based on the financial strength of the trust, a given number of slots can be guaranteed every year to whosoever is admitted to any of these four: Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard and MIT.

I won't say Kudos. Fayemi is not just in government, he's in power and should know better.
Re: Fayemi Sends Six Students To Study Abroad From Own Purse. by chemato(m): 10:42pm On Aug 10, 2013
Nice one governor...buh y dont u send 30 graduate 4 masters programme in Nigeria, pahaps keep it up, juz an advice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

States Groan Under Debt Bondage / PMB's Invitation To White House Proof Of Good US-Nigeria Relations- Lai Mohammed / Federal Government To Establish Entrepreneur Bank – Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.