Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? (13194 Views)

Beware! Adulterated Killer Palm Oil Sold In The Markets And Damages It Can Cause / Adulteration Of Food Items In Nigerian Markets / What Name Is SPINACH Called In Our Local Markets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 21, 2013
Maybe all local markets should be changed to first world grocery stores.

Truly the Nigerian markets are very very dirty.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by miky(m): 12:20am On Aug 21, 2013
spongeback: A market is a place where buyers and sellers meet to exchange goods and services in exchange for money.
Nobody says it has to be clean for services to be rendered
wink

Unfortunately that's the mentality of our leaders, who themselves are represtatives of the typical Nigerian mind!!! Until you get salmonella or typhoid that is!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by miky(m): 12:21am On Aug 21, 2013
babe_online: Maybe all local markets should be changed to first world grocery stores.

Truly the Nigerian markets are very very dirty.

Who will change it? The owners? Lol they will only care when we stop patronizing them.. Till then, it will remain the same
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 12:27am On Aug 21, 2013
pekelepekele: [color=#006600]Its only when it is raining that most market becomes dirty because of all the pure water nylon , plastic bottles and others that the flood will be carrying about but if not for that i trust our iya loja and iyalaje they are very neat people .

They always pay some people to sweep the whole market every morning .

i guess most people arent aware.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 12:30am On Aug 21, 2013
speedyboi:

And they start the blaming again!
The truth of the matter is...Nigerians are not civilized!

there's nothing to blame.

trash heaps on the outskirts of the market or anywhere, will make it look dirty.

its another thing altogether to claim the market is dirty- do you buy dirty things from them?
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 12:31am On Aug 21, 2013
pDude:
sad shocked shocked shocked

No it is very clean.

Is that onions between railway lines? shocked

are the onions dirty, or is your grouse that they're on the ground?

two different things entirely, and when Fashola clears the street traders you folks are the same ones who will start complaining.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 12:35am On Aug 21, 2013
miky:

Who will change it? The owners? Lol they will only care when we stop patronizing them.. Till then, it will remain the same
The government.

The markets are very dirty and disgusting.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by hunter21(m): 12:46am On Aug 21, 2013
Afam4eva: What really worries me is the bananas i see in Lagos everyday. I don't know how people can confidently be selling bananas that look like something sacrificed to obatala. Those bananas are very far from edible.
I swear, those bananas have more black than green on them
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 12:47am On Aug 21, 2013
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 12:48am On Aug 21, 2013
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 12:50am On Aug 21, 2013
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 1:31am On Aug 21, 2013
tpia@:

are the onions dirty, or is your grouse that they're on the ground?

two different things entirely, and when Fashola clears the street traders you folks are the same ones who will start complaining.

Not at all shocked

I am just surprised that anyone will sell on railway lines. That's like selling on subway train lines.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by miky(m): 2:16am On Aug 21, 2013
babe_online:
The government.

The markets are very dirty and disgusting.

whats mentality with of our people and wanting governments to do everything.. so you want the government to organize and clean market fronts, when the owners are busy doing nothing... we are cursed in that country for real

what happened to government hands out of private venture.. you want nigeria to be like the usa, but you realize the government doesnt do everything except for regulations...
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by dallyemmy: 2:16am On Aug 21, 2013
This is because people have failed to see anything bad in buying and selling in a dirty market! They are not informed!
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 2:48am On Aug 21, 2013
miky:

whats mentality with of our people and wanting governments to do everything.. so you want the government to organize and clean market fronts, when the owners are busy doing nothing... we are cursed in that country for real

what happened to government hands out of private venture.. you want nigeria to be like the usa, but you realize the government doesnt do everything except for regulations...
All I am saying is that they can make the stores look like...Walmart, for example
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tellwisdom: 3:24am On Aug 21, 2013
No wonder alot of you run Helter Skelter looking for bush to poo after eating from home angry

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 3:52am On Aug 21, 2013
babe_online:
All I am saying is that they can make the stores look like...Walmart, for example

they can standardize the markets to ensure each seller has a raised stall [although i wonder where that would leave the petty traders who cant afford one], but i dont know if walmart can be the standard, since this is nigeria, not overseas.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 3:54am On Aug 21, 2013
pDude:

Not at all shocked

I am just surprised that anyone will sell on railway lines. That's like selling on subway train lines.

they're not supposed to, customers have to avoid encouraging it also.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 3:58am On Aug 21, 2013
berem: Because buying food stuff from a dirty market environment is cheaper. grin

yes, on the short term. Consider health on the long run

optimus-prime1:
Pleeeaazzzzze...
Have Y'all gone to Farmers market@ Maitama Abuja??
Now thats a Posh Market for Posh people, but then again everybody likes Cheap things, even *YOU!*
so instead of Farmers market@Maitama, one prefares going to Nyanya Market or Karu Market becuz of affordable prices.
Logic: Whoever said husslin' for cheap stuff is tidy or comes neat?
Layman terms: Abi you go wear white suit climb tree?
Haba, Africans be husslers- point blank the End.

is there any harm in hussling for cheap stuff and still keeping clean ? angry

@topic

Poor sanitation, especially where organic food is sold. It's very difficult for the traders to keep the place neat.

Next question: How can we help keep our markets clean?
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 4:13am On Aug 21, 2013
what exactly do you mean by clean?

if you feel the markets are dirty, then go clear the mud whenever it rains.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by eaglechild: 7:03am On Aug 21, 2013
miky:

On then contrary most markets I know do have the sellers clean around their stalls .
The problem is with central disposal of waste, which is the responsibility of the govt.
If you notice, the large refuse disposals around the market areas are always overflowing because of the tremendous amt of waste generated which is not promptly cleared.
Again the sellers do pay tax and should get better infrastructure like tarred /cemented markets.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by premlove(m): 7:04am On Aug 21, 2013
Fhemmmy: Cos me and you that goes there to buy are dirty, cos the people selling to me and you are dirty.
everybodi is dirty and we enjoy eating dirty
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 21, 2013
Atleast the foodstuffs and the things we buy there are not dirty.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by sylve11: 8:13am On Aug 21, 2013
degurl: @tipia, it depends on the location of the op.

When it rains, you dare not go to market Mararaba/Karu except you have a rubber boot to wear.

grin grin grin cool
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by pheedoh(m): 8:26am On Aug 21, 2013
Got duped @ d market yesterday....... cry
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by AjanleKoko: 8:45am On Aug 21, 2013
Is it only markets that are dirty? undecided
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 21, 2013
spongeback: A market is a place where buyers and sellers meet to exchange goods and services in exchange for money.
Nobody says it has to be clean for services to be rendered
wink
gbam

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

###EUROSONIC DISTRIBUTOR: Get Your Kitchen/home Appliances @ Wholesale Prices. / Price Of This Item At Tantalizer And Sweet Sensation / The Hypocrisy In Vegetarianism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.