Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,624 members, 7,955,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:34 PM

Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? (13504 Views)

Beware! Adulterated Killer Palm Oil Sold In The Markets And Damages It Can Cause / Adulteration Of Food Items In Nigerian Markets / What Name Is SPINACH Called In Our Local Markets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by knightsamsong(m): 9:02am On Aug 21, 2013
devour129: gbam
markets in cross river state a neat as pins...
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by here: 9:05am On Aug 21, 2013
I think that it is not about us Africans being dirty,its actually about how things work around here and our brothers the traders are actually doing their best but can be made to do more.
Its is funny that except for some states and like Abuja where waste disposal is contracted in main metro,no one has taken up the initiative to go into that business.Every market needs that.I think its on low scale because markets I think are under the Local Govts and those guys are terrible at Administration,but then how well are their trained and checked.
I will like to see a system whereby we stop waiting for government and take it up by ourselves.
I understand part of the lack of action to cleanup the places is because most markets are at temporary sites and they tell you they will be relocated,this take sometimes 20yrs to achieve.
Let an NGO, party or even religious houses approach the markets,set an example by doing this:
i.from the entrance of a shop floor it to the centre to the other shop opposite and do same on the other end and let the centre be for flow of water.
ii.research and comeup with a types of tables that is easy to cleanup after each day sales based on different items (meat,vegetable etc).
iii. approach the unions to know what plans they have for disposal and help establish one.
when this is done and they have approached the market leaders let that model be enforced all over the market.All shop owners made to undertake it.This is obtainable because the market unions are so powerful they can get shop owners to do these.
Imagine in places like Abuja where individuals build roads at satellite towns then we really need to wakeup
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Orikinla(m): 9:07am On Aug 21, 2013
[size=28pt]Because majority of Nigerians are dirty and filthy.
They are allergic to hygiene.
They cannot even keep their hands and feet clean.[/size]
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by buchy5050: 9:10am On Aug 21, 2013
becos we ve too many illetrates in d markets nd d educated ones dat com 2 buy easily adapt 2 such environment nd feel less concern.God help us to help ourselves
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by hod898(m): 9:14am On Aug 21, 2013
The reason is becos most of the dirty markets were not established by the govt, ppl jst go there to start selling sth and that's hw many will come and join them. A market established this way is bound to be dirty. Even we that buy things from the market also litter it with leathers. When we buy, say, biscuit, satchet water, sweets, we simply throw the leathers on the floor. Abi na lie?
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by anonimi: 9:14am On Aug 21, 2013
Because the LGA chairmen & councillors who have the constitutional RESPONSIBILITY to keep them clean are sleeping on duty while everyone is shouting president this, president that for everything.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-dkwZSW7ANJA/UAAMf69Ga4I/AAAAAAAAhYA/2VJa4_gYyd4/s320/1%2Ba%2Barmy%2Bgeneral.jpg[/img]

Meanwhile that does not stop them from receiving millions every month while we hail them and even promote them to higher PUBLIC SERVANT positions.

Can you imagine how many jobs of cleaners, supervisors, managers directos could be created and well paid to keep the markets clean And the government can still collect taxes as IGR from these workers and from the companies where they finally spend their salaries.
Now, that is comprehensive POLICY thinking not the quick-fix yoyo physical infrastructures we keep celebrating as governance in mumuland.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by anonimi: 9:21am On Aug 21, 2013
hod898: The reason is becos most of the dirty markets were not established by the govt, ppl jst go there to start selling sth and that's hw many will come and join them. A market established this way is bound to be dirty. Even we that buy things from the market also litter it with leathers. When we buy, say, biscuit, satchet water, sweets, we simply throw the leathers on the floor. Abi na lie?

There is NO market that is NOT established by a government, usually the LGA that also collects money in the form of licences and/or permit plus daily rates in some places.
If you know of any such market that is not established and/or controlled by a government in Nigeria please share the name with us.
It would mean that the concerned LGA is grossly incompetent!!!

P.S: The traditional government i.e. Kings and Chiefs had control over the markets that existed in their domain before the colonialists came and they collected taxes from the traders to organise for its cleaning and security.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by mrakin(m): 9:30am On Aug 21, 2013
Fab4succex: [img][/img]
Lwkmd
What is the meaning of that accronym?
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 9:30am On Aug 21, 2013
People have been posting pictures of what looks like clean market. They shouldnt complain of eyesore when i start posting pictures of dirtiness in markets o!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 9:31am On Aug 21, 2013
My 1st front page threa grin
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by MacLovington(m): 9:34am On Aug 21, 2013
pDude: Because Africans and Africa come from a culture that embraces dirt and filth.

Have you seen how a pit toilet is kept clean but a WC toilet will always be covered with piss and shyt?

Have you noticed that however the government tries to clean and refurbish any market, it eventually turns out filthy and disorganized as it formerly was?

Have you noticed that people would rather piss and shyt in the bush or do shotput (ladies) than find a toilet to relieve themselves?

Have you noticed that people would rather brush their teeth outside than use the sinks back in school or NYSC?

Yes, filth goes with Africa.

This is generalisation. 70% of Nigerians live in rural areas. In villages, premises have to be thoroughly swept, fire place swept and rubbed with watery clay/mud and left to dry n shiny before breakfast can be made. In cities the municipal services where they exist cannot cope with huge waste generated, hence flies etc. Waste disposal around city markets is poor, again failure of municipal/council people.

My grandma of blessed memory was one of the neatest people you will ever see. She was in the village and her house was always shiny, even when she was already 100 years old. So are many villagers, never mind the soiled farm wear you may see some in.

People drop litter anyhow in London, Paris etc too despite dustbins everywhere. Their waste disposal services are just good.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by poyet(m): 9:40am On Aug 21, 2013
Show me public places that commendably clean in Nigeria. Streets, parks, etc.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by dasparrow: 9:51am On Aug 21, 2013
mrakin:
What is the meaning of that accronym?

It means: Laugh wan kill me die

@Post

Our waste disposal system is poor that's why.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 21, 2013
COS THE PEOPLE ARE DIRTY. YOU DON'T EXPECT THE GARBAGE TO WALK AWAY, DO YOU? IT HAS TO BE REMOVED BY SOMEONE, AND UNFORTUNATELY THAT SOMEONE DOESN'T EXIST IN 9JA COS BEING A GARBAGE CLEANER IS SEEN AS A TABOO HERE.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by StOla: 9:53am On Aug 21, 2013
The simple answer is because we as a people thrive in dirt. Another question will be why do our governments build village markets and term them Ultra Modern Market?

When governments begin to build decent markets with modern flooring as opposed to bare sand, with facilities that cater to the estimated population, then that would provide a guaranteed baseline of cleanliness.

However, a clean market might even deter potential customers who believe clean environments habour only the rich, and that cheaper goods would be better procured in dirty markets as opined by an earlier poster, hence the term Dirt Poor.

Lastly, with better packaging of our local food produce, we can have neater markets where garri and beans are sold in a pack, meat is sold from a refrigeration unit, and even our money notes are spared the dirt they encounter at the point of money exchange at the market.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by StOla: 9:58am On Aug 21, 2013
hod898: The reason is becos most of the dirty markets were not established by the govt, ppl jst go there to start selling sth and that's hw many will come and join them. A market established this way is bound to be dirty. Even we that buy things from the market also litter it with leathers. When we buy, say, biscuit, satchet water, sweets, we simply throw the leathers on the floor. Abi na lie?

I believe by the bolded you mean Nylon/Rubber/Polythene Bag. Leather is the material of the shoe I have on.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by onuwaje(m): 10:11am On Aug 21, 2013
knightsamsong: markets in cross river state a neat as pins...
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by king100(m): 10:17am On Aug 21, 2013
Segeggs: Petrol stations, pharmacies, supermarkets, boutiques etc are always clean but it beats my imagination how places where fresh food are sold in Nigeria are always dirty; dirty grinders, dirty baskets, dust bin close to wares etc.
The problems in Nigeria emanated from little little things such as the one you just mentioned.How do you rational poverty with dirtiness, because people always think our uncleanness of our environment is caused by poverty, not at all.The bible made us to understand that out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.Everything that is not good in Nigeria is embedded in our hearts.We need to change our mind in the ways we look at things.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by ooshinibos: 10:20am On Aug 21, 2013
Nigerian Mentality which is curable .....come and see the nigerian shops in England and Germany ..... solution is to start to penalise dirty shops ...most of the clean shops were penalised for unhygenic and dirty environment ..since then they have been clean and customers have come back ..that in London though
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 21, 2013
Hey, don't generalize, markets in abuja are very neat..
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by ooshinibos: 10:28am On Aug 21, 2013
dasparrow:

It means: Laugh wan kill me die

@Post

Our waste disposal system is poor that's why.
brussels in belgium is dirtier than Nigeria
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by FBS: 10:34am On Aug 21, 2013
Some (if not most) markets in Nigeria are indeed very dirty especially during the raining season but could it be that the "dirty" environment keeps the food products fresh? grin grin grin

Imagine buying meat in a market place and you see flies having heated arguments on that very ogufe or edo you intended buying? cheesy

Fresh food here we come. grin
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 21, 2013
We've been eating from those 'dirty markets' since birth and still, no cancer, nothing.
tongue
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 10:59am On Aug 21, 2013
Cori_corde: We've been eating from those 'dirty markets' since birth and still, no cancer, nothing.
tongue
You and who?
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 11:27am On Aug 21, 2013
The Markets in Nigeria are dirty and smelly.. piss and shiit everywhere..poor rubbish disposal and lack of toilets as well as illiteracy is the cause. visit street markets in Greece, turkey, Sicily, London etc.. neat, fresh, literate people
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 1:43pm On Aug 21, 2013
^please take your illiteracy back to wherever you come from and quit disgracing yourself here.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 1:46pm On Aug 21, 2013
MacLovington:

This is generalisation. 70% of Nigerians live in rural areas. In villages, premises have to be thoroughly swept, fire place swept and rubbed with watery clay/mud and left to dry n shiny before breakfast can be made. In cities the municipal services where they exist cannot cope with huge waste generated, hence flies etc. Waste disposal around city markets is poor, again failure of municipal/council people.

thats it in a nutshell.

the nigerians agreeing with the op seem to not know they're just giving themselves a bad name by implying they buy dirty things from their own dirty market.

the markets I know of in nigeria, are good ones, eod.
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by abdrazak: 1:59pm On Aug 21, 2013
true talk
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 21, 2013
tpia@:
^please take your illiteracy back to wherever you come from and quit disgracing yourself here.

touched a nerve there didn't i grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by tpia5: 2:05pm On Aug 21, 2013
no, you didnt.

your illiteracy and ignorance are just at alarming proportions, that's all.

should we blame the weed?
Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Rossikk(m): 2:06pm On Aug 21, 2013
The main problem is we have not fully embraced the concreting culture. We need to ensure that wherever there are humans interracting, there must be concrete. What causes the dirty look is that people are moving around on sand and soil causing items to dust and age easily etc. Concrete gives the place order, eliminates dust, and enhances the aesthetic appearance of the place. Makes it easier to clean and maintain etc. Soil and sand = disorder, dirt, filth etc. It's the same thing with our streets. They look dirty because we've neglected to pave the sides of the roads for pedestrians, a process which cuts out the sand, cuts out the open gutters, and creates an orderly, clean environment requiring minimal maintenance. So we need to spend more on paving and concreting our surroundings, and planting grass.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Our Markets Always Dirty? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 21, 2013
tpia@:
no, you didnt.

your illiteracy and ignorance are just at alarming proportions, that's all.

should we blame the weed?

grin grin your exaggeration of falsehood at your age (on nl) is alarming.. what are you on anyway smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Do I Cook Pounded Yam? / Coca-cola Halts Production As Co2 Shortage Affects Soft Drinks / Nigerian Swallow And Diabetes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.