Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,010 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. (16086 Views)

Airtel is No 1 Data scammer -Airtel Should Be Banned From Selling Data / The Best Tecno Phones In The First Quarter Of 2015 / Whatsapp Banned Me For 24hours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Youngzedd(m): 10:10am On Aug 12, 2013
Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) alleged that several Samsung products infringe on its patents. Apple originally filed this lawsuit against Samsung in 2011, and it's just one of dozens of ongoing patent lawsuits currently being waged between the tech titans across the globe.

In this latest case, the International Trade Commission ruled in favor of Apple. The commission said Samsung products infringed on two Apple patents, one for touchscreen multitouch and another related to headset plug detection. The court ruled Samsung did not infringe on four other patents listed in Apple's claim.

The ITC banned Samsung from importing or selling some devices that infringe on the Apple patents. While the devices Apple mentioned in the case are older Samsung products -- like the Galaxy Tab 7 tablet and the Continuum smartphone -- the ITC's ruling could have implications for phones currently on the market that use the same technology.

But Samsung has the chance to release software updates to work around the infringement -- for example, customers would still use multitouch the same way they always did, but Samsung would change how that worked from a technical perspective.

Tech companies like to bring their cases before the ITC because it's generally easier to get that court to ban the sale of patent-violating products, when compared with the traditional patent court system.

U.S. import bans are obviously serious concerns for foreign companies like South Korea-based Samsung. But they're just as problematic for those headquartered in America because most tech products -- including Apple's -- are assembled overseas and must be imported.

Even if Samsung weren't able to figure out a workaround, there's a chance the ITC's import ban won't stick. Earlier this summer the ITC ruled on Samsung's own 2011 filing against Apple -- and it ended with the agency issuing an import ban on Apple products. But the ITC is required by law to send such "exclusion orders" to the president for a 60-day review. In an extremely rare move, President Obama vetoed that ITC order just before the review period was up.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/09/technology/mobile/apple-samsung-itc/index.html
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by donlyone(m): 11:38am On Aug 12, 2013
Apple wll always have its way in the US. When they win a case they get paid, when they lost the last suit, the president vetos the decision. Later the US will claim to be a beacon of Equallity and fairness.

Its a shame really.

23 Likes

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 12, 2013
smell front page....space booked grin

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by physise(m): 12:46pm On Aug 12, 2013
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by sanandreas(m): 1:24pm On Aug 12, 2013
Apple should be more innovative rather than witch hunting.

5 Likes

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by delikay4luv: 1:48pm On Aug 12, 2013
if u cant beat them, arrange them to be get beaten.

5 Likes

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by luluosas(m): 2:15pm On Aug 12, 2013
These Apples boys no dey tire?

1 Like

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Sunymoore(m): 3:11pm On Aug 12, 2013
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by supaeagles(m): 4:58pm On Aug 12, 2013
donlyone: ..... Later the US will claim to be a beacon of Equallity and fairness......
Its a shame really.
Actually it is not shameful and they are enforcing fairness instead... they are providing protection for intellectual property. Samsung could not prove that they did not copy the IPhone/Apple for those particular phone models.
There has to be a conducive environment for protection of your designs otherwise there will be no financial incentive to innovate!
This decision anyway only affects a few older Samsung models. The newer S3 and S4 are still bringing in solid sales for Samsung.

7 Likes

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
US ahhh us! us!
The other time samsung won a case to stop the sales of some older iphones, the government vetoed it, now they can now ban samsung. Well what is my headache about it, but US is such an hypocrite.
Well its good news that in some years to come china's economy will be larger than that of the US, that's if they don't accuse china of oppressing it citizens and invade in a bid that they are fighting for human right or arm opposition (rebel).
What amazes me is how they've turned rebels into such a legal group.

And its obvious (without sentiments) that samsung phones are the most innovative and best. And that is obvious in the number they have sold already. Apple should stop disturbing themselves, china's population alone more than quadruple US' own.

In two months alone s4 sales has hit over 20million, Apple and the US govt there's no stopping samsung. #samsungforlife.

4 Likes

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by WRITERSTAB: 4:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
Oya techno tyns.
18+ only read www.writerstab.
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
Old news undecided

1 Like

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 12, 2013
that's why I like my tecno oo no body dey folo us hold ground

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by kelsonpoint(m): 5:00pm On Aug 12, 2013
Its obvious that samsung is better than apple that is why they are still filling law suit all over cos they are afraid of what will become of them in the future

They might go extinct grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 12, 2013
Why is apple so much afraid of Samsung? Dem never fear RIM reach as de fear Samsung

3 Likes

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by danchuzzy(m): 5:02pm On Aug 12, 2013
ร๐ ก๐ฬ ī ςคก ς๐๓๓єกτ

1 Like

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by seedord247(m): 5:02pm On Aug 12, 2013
gboss4sure: Why is apple so much afraid of Samsung? Dem never fear RIM reach as de fear Samsung

Brooo change your signature dem don remove your ban.

And also who dey use BB for america?
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Fogman(m): 5:03pm On Aug 12, 2013
Ban or no ban, No stopping Samsung

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Youngzedd(m): 5:03pm On Aug 12, 2013
Clear throat, finally..
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by ProminentStar: 5:05pm On Aug 12, 2013
Apple go soon leave Samsung face Tecno. btw: men those guyz are improving biiig time. ;DApple go soon leave Samsung face Tecno. btw: men those guyz are improving biiig time.
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by ProminentStar: 5:05pm On Aug 12, 2013
Apple go soon leave Samsung face Tecno. btw: men those guyz are improving biiig time. grin grin
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Flyingngel(m): 5:06pm On Aug 12, 2013
Let them continue to fight, as for me I DONT CARE#
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Kslib(m): 5:09pm On Aug 12, 2013
If samsung is guilty,then no wahala.. Afterall,samasung would have done the same if they were in Apple's shoes!!!

1 Like

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by fabby26(m): 5:10pm On Aug 12, 2013
All these apple things, person no go hear word for this electronic company called "Apple Inc". From I-pad, I-phone, I-pod, I-....... And they will make their products so exorbitant, Abeg make they leave Samsung alone joor. grin Bring me some apples may i chop joor!

1 Like

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by seunlayi(m): 5:10pm On Aug 12, 2013
DOES THIS AFFECT TECHNO?
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Kslib(m): 5:11pm On Aug 12, 2013
ProminentStar: Apple go soon leave Samsung face Tecno. btw: men those guyz are improving biiig time. grin grin
Techno?
I believe Nigeria will be enjoying 247electricity before apple even realises that a company like techno exists!!!

7 Likes

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Nobody: 5:11pm On Aug 12, 2013
donlyone: Apple wll always have its way in the US. When they win a case they get paid, when they lost the last suit, the president vetos the decision. Later the US will claim to be a beacon of Equallity and fairness.

Its a shame really.

Word!

Obama vetoed the decision to ban ipad 2 and iphone 4, however, he looked the other way for this one. Yet they want us all to believe that we live in a globalised world - with equality, freedom, justice and fairness. Anyway, Apple is owned by the American government - Steve Jobs was just the face of "franchise."

Perhaps, the South Korean government needs to do the same - revenge is another word for karma.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Jaywilzee(m): 5:12pm On Aug 12, 2013
Apple + samsung equals GOBE
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Ominiriches(m): 5:12pm On Aug 12, 2013
No mather what, nokia remains the king of all phones. Sekina.
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 12, 2013
supaeagles: Actually it is not shameful and they are enforcing fairness instead... they are providing protection for intellectual property. Samsung could not prove that they did not copy the IPhone/Apple for those particular phone models.
There has to be a conducive environment for protection of your designs otherwise there will be no financial incentive to innovate!
This decision anyway only affects a few older Samsung models. The newer S3 and S4 are still bringing in solid sales for Samsung.

Oga permit me, you don't know what you're saying.
Samsung recently won a case to ban apple products and their government vetoed it, how about that?

1 Like

Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 12, 2013
if they are banned from selling there, they should better reduce their prices here cos techno go soon ban dem here too.......if apple can influence us, techno go buy over fed. govt
Re: Samsung Banned From Selling Some Phones In U.S. by phil5(m): 5:25pm On Aug 12, 2013
9ja is available .no ofense pls ;D9ja is available .no ofense pls

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Your Worst Phone Experience? / Tecno Choose Dubai Over London For Phanthom 6 Lunch / How To Use Glo Blackberry Internet Subscription (BIS) On PC And Other Device

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.