Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,014 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? (20541 Views)

Poll: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency?

I'll support him: 91% (126 votes)
I won't support him: 8% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Babatunde Fashola And Donald Duke For President / Lets Rally Round To Support Donald Duke For President Come 2011 / PDP Pencils In Yar’adua, Duke For Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by Mystique(f): 1:29pm On Jul 19, 2006
@ Revolution:

It will be out soon smiley
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by otokx(m): 11:13am On Jul 24, 2006
how many indigenous languages can Mr. Donald Duke speak?
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by Revolution: 7:54pm On Jul 24, 2006
I couldn't care less if Duke can't speak any Nigeria languages. All I am interested is in the rapid development and transformation of our beloved country.

The result fo the first round of the Vanguard/Silverbird poll has been announced. The top 10 nominated people for the peoples president were, in no particular order were:

[list]
[li]Muhammadu Buhari
Ibrahim Babangida
Reverend Chris Okotie
Professor Pat Utomi
Governor Peter Odili
Governor Orji Kalu
Professor Dora Akunyili
Mallam Nasir el-Rufai
Governor Sam Egwu of Ebonyi State
Governor Donald Duke[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

I am very please that our man Duke made it through the first round, thanks to all of you who voted but the fight continues to ensure he wins overall because it will bring huge publicity. I am very disappointed that Buhari and Babangida made the list, especially the latter. When will Nigeria stop admiring people for the wrong reasons and start encouraging excellence and integrity? I pray they start with Donald Duke.

See full details here: http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/cover/july06/24072006/f424072006.html
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by stanech: 1:47pm On Sep 03, 2006
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by spicywax(m): 5:20pm On Sep 05, 2006
WOW! You guys make Cross Rivers State look like paradise.

With all these wonderful things said about the man, I think he might be the man this Country has been waiting for all her life. I'll definately vote for him if he's get through all the sentiments in picking a canditate for the parties we have around here.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by ono(m): 5:23pm On Sep 05, 2006
Spicy,
Welcome to Nairaland.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by Mariory(m): 5:48pm On Sep 05, 2006
spicywax:

WOW! You guys make Cross Rivers State look like paradise.

With all these wonderful things said about the man, I think he might be the man this Country has been waiting for all her life. I'll definately vote for him if he's get through all the sentiments in picking a canditate for the parties we have around here.

That's if he decides to run. He's definetely one of the best candidates as far as I can tell.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by BigB11(m): 5:41pm On Sep 06, 2006
I'm hearing a lot of noise about this cat, DUKE and I really don't want to start making comments without having solid and reliable information about him, I've mentioned in the past that he seems to be a perfect fit for Nigeria in terms of new ideas, new generation, presentable appearance, but I'm not too sure about his leadership qualities or stamina; I think he needs more time to develop and prepare for this incredible position.

I've also noticed that his main supporters are from the southern Nigeria, I'm starting to wonder if the support from his supporters is sincere to Nigerian people in general or it's just another way for the southerners to accomplish their over due goal?
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by BigB11(m): 5:54pm On Sep 06, 2006
Don't misunderstand my point, I'm very open to any candidate that shows an authenticated leadership qualities, which are greatly lacking in today's Nigerian society.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by stanech: 10:17am On Sep 07, 2006
@ Big B1

Have u been to Crossriver state?

If not try and do so, then u will understand the message we are passing across
Visit Obudu and Tinapa please

There is no need for any arguement just visist. When u come back, You will be the one singing Dukes praises.

Not only that u will see in him a leader with good Vision and insight.

U mentioned him not having a good leadersip quality,

What else do u want from a leader exceet that his works affects the life of the average man and boost up the image of the country

Pls lets get it right for once
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by BigB11(m): 2:52pm On Sep 07, 2006
STANECH: As per your advice, no need for any argument, but I think you should read my comment over again, Please take your time.

Not having a good leadersip quality= this is your statement

I'm not too sure about his leadership qualities= this is my statement

The two statements are totally different from one another. Not having a good leadership quality is a conclusion, a complete statement; while not too sure about his leadership qualities is incomplete statement, a statement that needs more research to be concluded.

Hence slow down a bit and understand comment before speculating.

Back to the topic:
I need more information about this cat before I can buy what he's selling.
You guys have to be careful by not making your decision based on a great job done in cross rivers. The different between cross rivers (State) and Nigeria (country) is enormous. The different between the two can be simplified using this example:

Managing Cross rivers is like managing family business that only exists in one town or state, while managing Nigeria as a country is like managing an international company that has activities in several states and sometimes in other countries.

I need more than cross rivers successful accomplishments to make my decision.

FYI: For several years President Bush as the governor of Texas did a tremendous job and many folks fell in love with him based on his performance as the governor of Texas; but look at what is currently going on in USA; It doesn't mean Mr Bush is a bad leader or has bad intention, it could be he's either not ready or just not a good fit for a presidential position.
This why it is very important for individual to deeply consider many factors, especially the invisible one before coming to a conclusion.
I respect Mr Duke and I wish him the best, but I need much more information and prove of a successful leadership qualities to make my decision.
If many Nigerians have the same mentality Nigeria as a country will not be what it is today.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by celemel(m): 6:48pm On Sep 07, 2006
STANECH

I live in Calabar. Lets get some lessons right.
Duke is a complete gentleman. He leads by example and has demystified power and authority. He rides around town in Okada and drives himself alone in cars most evenings without any fear of molestation coz he is at home with his people. He inspires confidence in the average Calabar man, and dreams tall dreams. Above that, he is very charismatic and has set himself apart as a model, worthy of emulation by all forward-looking, young people of his generation. He has changed the orientation of the ordinary resident in Calabar. For example, if you drink satchet water, and drop off the container on the street carelessly, an ordinary okada-man would stop, pick the waterproof pack, drive until he meets you, hand over the pack to you and advice you to go drop it in the nearest refuse bin, with a caution to you that people over here don't behave like that. I personally witnessed one incident in which the okadaman quipped someone that if he wants to dirty the environment, he should rather go to Akwa Ibom; that over here in Calabar, everyone is civilized; such behaviours are not tolerated! grin You can imagine what it means to be appreciated and loved even by the most downtrodden poorest of the poor.

Whomsoever is not convinced by all that has been said about Mr. Donald Duke should spare him/herself some time and visit cross river state. I can assure that no one ever comes to the state and goes away with a contrary opinion. I am a completely detribalized nigerian, and a citizen of the world. I'd support any candidate from anywhere, including mars, to lead nigeria insofar as he would have the capacity to move us on the right path and steer a definite progressive course for the country. For now, I see that missing capacity in Donald Duke, and even if he eventually fails to contest or win, I'd forever be inspired by his acumen, sagacity, carriage, simplicity, vision, doggedness, determination and poise. I love this man!!!!!!!!!
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by GNature(m): 11:54pm On Sep 07, 2006
@Big B1

I understand your concern regarding Duke, but remember, Shagari never had any experience
(not even as a governor) and ruled the country for 4 years.

Personally, I think he has what it takes to be president. If Shagari, a former school teacher can
do it, why not Duke ?
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by ono(m): 7:36am On Sep 08, 2006
GNature:

@Big B1

I understand your concern regarding Duke, but remember, Shagari never had any experience
(not even as a governor) and ruled the country for 4 years.

Personally, I think he has what it takes to be president. If Shagari, a former school teacher can
do it, why not Duke ?

Good one Gnature. Solid point.

I know Duke will make the Niger Delta people proud. For now, I believe he's our trump card. Our Ace.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by BigB11(m): 4:43pm On Sep 08, 2006
Rubbish, not a good point at all, If you guys are going to use Shagari's standard to judge Mr Duke, then you're definitely facing the wrong direction.

The down fall of Nigeria started during Shagari's mismanaged regime.

You need to check the record, Shagari's regime is definitely not a pleasant example to follow.

Moreover, it doesn't matter if Cross Rivers state is as clean and beautiful as Paris, We need to see more than that, this is not electing a class captain, this electing Nigerian president. Special attention needs to be paid to the leadership skill, experience, ethic and stamina.
If these steps were taking were taken sincerely and vigorously, the Nigeria of today would have been better.

You need to read an example I've given regarding President Bush and Texas.

No disrespect to Mr Duke, we need more cross rivers accomplishment.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by BigB11(m): 4:45pm On Sep 08, 2006
Correction: No disrespect to Mr Duke, we need more than Cross Rivers accomplishment.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by Mariory(m): 5:13pm On Sep 08, 2006
Like what? Embezzlement?
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by seeker(m): 6:01pm On Sep 08, 2006
Mr Bigs,

Can we also refer you to the example of Clinton?
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by BigB11(m): 7:17pm On Sep 08, 2006
Mr Seeker or Ms Seeker: People did not fall in love or vote for Clinton based on his accomplishment as a governor. Double the record.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by BigB11(m): 7:25pm On Sep 08, 2006
I'm starting to think that most of Mr Duke's supporters are not supporting him for the sake of better Nigeria, but only for the sake of attaining an over due objective of the southerners.

And that is totally wrong.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by celemel(m): 8:49pm On Sep 08, 2006
I'm starting to think that most of Mr Duke's supporters are not supporting him for the sake of better Nigeria, but only for the sake of attaining an over due objective of the southerners.

And that is totally wrong.

Big B1 you are dead wrong. I can tell you that I support Donald Duke for the greater good of Nigeria, not because I am a southerner. I as well admire General Abacha. So many of my compatroits despise him, and would even call for my head if I dare said this before them. However, am a statistician and so, my analysis tells me that Abacha was a more result-oriented head of state in Nigeria than even OBJ. And mark u, OBJ is from d south while Abacha hailed fron Kano. You base your arguements on assumptions, and since you have never visited cross river state, it would amount to imagining the impossible if I task you to just dwell your mind on the possiblility of someone, turning a slum, sluggish state such as cross river as it then was, into a hawaiian model as it now looks.

I would stop responding to this, until you decide to get your a$$ over here and see things for yourself. Anything short of this would amount to blowing hot air. If you aint authority enough on a subject, you keep quiet and let those who know speak. I feel insulted that you'd misconstrue our overwhelming support for the serene Donald Duke as a reflection of our desire to produce a President of our kind. In as much as every ethnic group has the right to aspire to the highest office in the land, I dare say that your are an ethnic jingoist. I was more comfortable with an IBB and Abacha in power, than OBJ. Both IBB and Abacha hailed from the north. It is illogical to equate the genuine desires of progressive forward-looking personalities in this forum to those sentiments that your grandfathers had perpetually used to keep Nigeria down. You must apologize for that irresponsible and crazy insinuation or shut your trap up forever.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by BigB11(m): 9:53pm On Sep 08, 2006
CELEMEL: Calm down. It's just a discussion; it's not that serious.
I'm in a very good mood today, hence I will disregard your idiocy insulting comment.

Back to the discussion:

I've expressed several times how much I admire and respect Mr Duke, I just need more than what have been displayed my his supporters to buy what he's selling. Period.

I don't see any crime in asking for more information regarding the position of an individual, it is very simple, just present your premise.

And by the way, if you pay attention to all my comments you will realize that they are all mere assumption.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by BigB11(m): 10:08pm On Sep 08, 2006
CELEMEL: Typical okiribo Nigerian, no break no jam; just crush to a judgment.

Believe me, you need to calm down.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by Gomer: 8:23pm On Sep 13, 2006
@bigb1, do you believe in crawling before walking, walking before running?
don't you think that a man who took nothing out of something in a small town can do that for nigeria?
i have my doubts though,
cross-river? how many local governments? how many people?
nigeria? 36 states, fct? how many local governments in nigeria? governors and so and so
a different ball game entirely
but you know
i just think if he could do what he did and is still doing in cross-river then he can do for nigeria too
he's a believer
he's a motivator
he's a man who dreams and puts all his effort to make that dream come true
he's a man you can look up too
we should give him a chance but the question is that with all this noise we are making, is our votes, if we do vote, going to make any sense?
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by boionoz(m): 5:02pm On Sep 16, 2006
Hey,
I think we should put up a support page on nairaland for him. if he has got some fans here, i think we should support him the little way we can.
He is my man too, i like his ways, we all can see that his ways are not like that of his fellow niger-delta governors to say the least.
Spread the word ppl
Cheers
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by chinani(f): 12:20am On Sep 17, 2006
Why is his surname Duke?
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by stanech: 5:52am On Sep 17, 2006
Wetin matte if he surname na Duke?

But let me try and give u a little expo,

From what I understand people from crossriver always get English surname attached to thier names Like Liz Benson. Regina Askia and so many others but him name no be wahala, na wetin he fit do na im matter
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by Revolution: 8:49am On Sep 17, 2006
not always, certainly not even most time,  most people from Cross River have Nigerian surnames and since when did Askia become an English name?

In any case it does not matter, Why do Yourubas answers Williams, Taylor etc? Who cares.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by chinani(f): 10:42pm On Sep 17, 2006
Well I know (or have heard) that some Yorubas have non-Yoruba surnames b/c of repatriation from the US & Brazil.

I just wanted to know the story on Donald Duke. If he can't tell us who he is, why should I vote for him?

"Weting be the wahala"? Didn't say there was any. But I do think it's odd. I'd prefer for the Nigerian Prez to have a Nigerian name -- does it make him a better/worse person? No. But why should we be the only culture/country that arbitrarily takes on other people's surname (father's name)? shocked Not a good look. Not good politics.

I just wanted to know why.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by Revolution: 8:10am On Sep 18, 2006
If someone changes his/her Nigerian surname to an english surname that is one thing but if he/she was born with an English surname then that is a totally different thing. Donald Duke was born with that surname so please let's focus on real issues.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by chinani(f): 10:51pm On Sep 18, 2006
I already stated that I just wanted to know the story.

If ya'll are gonna campaign for him then don't answer questions so dismissively.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by celemel(m): 1:26pm On Nov 08, 2006
Europeans settled in the part of Calabar, where Duke originates from. And since they were living and mixing freely with the people, their culture was assimilated and integrated with the efik culture hence such names as Fenton, Whyte, Duke, Fuller, Fosbery, etc are very common especially in the southern part of Calabar. Donald's family is the famous Duke family of Calabar. His father was once the controller of Customs Service. Donald Duk'e full name is Donald Etim Duke. His middle name (which is his father's name) is Damian (which is his father's christian batptismal name.

Chinani, over to you!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Fayose Extends Ikere Dualisation Project, Distributes Cheques - Photos / FG Warns Niger Delta Youths - Oil Will Dry, Prepare For The Future / Junaid Mohammed: Tinubu Holds Different View About Buhari In Private

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.