Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary (21140 Views)

APPARITION: The Blessed Mother Of God Appeared In Kaduna Today! / Bitter Truth About Blessed Virgin Mary / What Is Assumption Of Mary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:23pm On Aug 15, 2013
Johnpaul2k2: [size=18pt]Pray for Us[/size]

[size=16pt]WHITE JEWISH WOMAN WORSHIPPERS! SLAVES! AND THEN YOU ACCUSE US TRADITIONALIST PAGANS OF IDOLATORY![/size]
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by farano(f): 12:23pm On Aug 15, 2013
Reciting Virgin Mary's Song of Praise...luk 1 vs 46-56
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by paschalomenihu: 12:25pm On Aug 15, 2013
THANKS BE TO GOD
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Domaro: 12:31pm On Aug 15, 2013
Lordave: *Singing*

Father itara akaram
Í ňuru akam
Í ga akwuru m ugwo ya
Aveh...Aaavehh..Avehh.....Aaaaavehhh Maríyáh.
*Conductor, CKC by Asa road dey o*

Nwa aba, mind how u make caricature and cajole the holy things, holy people and holy names, u may bring course upon ur self and ur linage by the act of sacrilagde
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by alextayo(m): 12:34pm On Aug 15, 2013
valicious1:
When God changed Abram's name to Abraham did he still retain his former name? When God changed Jacob to Isreal did he retain his former name? When God changed Saul to Paul did he still continue being called saul? Catholics enough of all these blasphemy. Yes mary was a virgin when she had Jesus but the moment she started having other children she immediately stopped being tagged a virgin. Mary was not a virgin till death. Enough of this ignorance

Prove your statements with facts because it is evidently clear that you are the ignoramus element here. Mary never had any other children and that was why Jesus told John the beloved at the cross to look after his mother when he said...Mother behold your son, Son behold your mother.

JOHN 19:26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son.

Jesus tenderly provides for his mother at His death. Now that He was dying and fearing what would become of her? He saw her standing by and knew her cares and griefs, and He saw John standing not far off. So, He established a new relationship between His beloved mother and His beloved disciple. He said to her, "Woman, behold your son, for whom, from now on, you must have a motherly affection," and to John, "Behold you mother, to whom you must pay a sonly duty." And so from that hour, that hour never to be forgotten, that disciple took her to his own home.
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by spongebuny: 12:34pm On Aug 15, 2013
PENTECOSTAL MINISTER ALEX JONES CONVERTED TO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH ALONGSIDE HIS FOLLOWERS!

When Pentecostal minister Alex Jones came into the Church this past Easter he was not alone. He brought much of his congregation in with him.

When Pentecostal minister Alex Jones came into the Church this past Easter he was not alone. He brought much of his congregation in with him.
When Detroit-born Alex Jones became a Pentecostal minister in 1972, there was little question among those who knew him that he was answering God's call to preach.

Now, many of his friends and family have dismissed the 59-year-old pastor as an apostate for embracing the Catholic faith, closing the nondenominational church he organized in 1982, and taking part of his congregation with him.

At this year's April 14 Easter Vigil, Jones, his wife, Donna, and 62 other former members of Detroit's Maranatha Church, was received into the Catholic Church at St. Suzanne's Parish. For Jones, becoming a Catholic will mark the end of a journey that began with the planting of a seed by Catholic apologist and Register columnist Karl Keating. It also will mean the beginning of a new way of life.

Jones first heard Keating, the founder of Catholic Answers, at a debate on whether the origins of the Christian church were Protestant or Catholic. At the close, Keating asked, "If something took place, who would you want to believe, those who saw it or those who came thousands of years later and told what happened?"

"Good point," Jones thought, and tucked it away. Five years later, while he was reading about the church fathers, Keating's question resurfaced. Jones began a study of the Church's beginnings, sharing his newfound knowledge with his congregation.

To illustrate what he was talking about, in the spring of 1998 he re-enacted an early worship service, never intending to alter his congregation's worship style. "But once I discovered the foundational truths and saw that Christianity was not the same as I was preaching, some fine-tuning needed to take place."

Soon, Maranatha Church's Sunday service was looking more like a Catholic Mass with Pentecostal overtones. "We said all the prayers with all the rubrics of the Church, all the readings, the Eucharistic prayers. We did it all, and we did it with an African-American style."

Not everyone liked the change, however, and the 200-member congregation began to dwindle. Meanwhile, Jones contacted Detroit's Sacred Heart Seminary and was referred to Steve Ray of Milan, Mich., whose conversion story is told in Crossing the Tiber.

"I set up a lunch with him right away and we pretty much had lunch every month after that," said Ray. He introduced Jones to Dennis Walters, the catechist at Christ the King Parish in Ann Arbor, Mich. Walters began giving the Pentecostal pastor and his wife weekly instructions in March, 1999.

Crossroads

Eventually, Jones and his congregation arrived at a crossroads. On June 4, the remaining adult members of Maranatha Church voted 39-19 to begin the process of becoming Catholic. In September, they began studies at St. Suzanne's.

Maranatha closed for good in December. The congregation voted to give Jones severance pay and sell the building, a former Greek Orthodox church, to the First Tabernacle Church of God in Christ.

Father Dennis Duggan, St. Suzanne's 53-year-old pastor, said the former Maranatha members and their pastor along with about 10 other candidates comprise the 750-member parish's largest-ever convert class.

Unity and diversity

Although not all parishioners at predominantly white St. Suzanne's have received the group warmly, Father Duggan, who also is white, said he considers the newcomers a gift and an answer to prayer.

"What the Lord seems to have brought together in the two of us — Alex and myself — is two individuals who have a similar dream about diversity. Detroit is a particularly segregated kind of community, especially on Sunday morning, and here you've got two baptized believers who really believe we ought to be looking different."

Father Duggan hopes eventually to bring Jones onto the parish staff. Already, he has encouraged Jones to join him in teaching at a Wednesday night Bible service. And, he is working on adapting the music at Masses so that it better reflects the parish's new makeup.

The current European worship style at St. Suzanne's has been the most difficult adjustment for the former Maranatha members, Jones said, because they had been accustomed to using contemporary music with the Catholic prayers and rituals. "The cultural adaptation is far more difficult than the theological adaptation," he said.

Protestant Issues

Jones said the four biggest problems Protestants have with Catholicism are teachings about Mary, purgatory, papal authority, and praying to saints. He resolved three of the four long ago, but struggled the most with Mary, finally accepting the teaching on her just because the church taught it.

"It is so ingrained in Protestants that only God inhabits heaven and to pray to anyone else is idolatry. ... The culture had so placed in my heart that only the Trinity received prayer that it was difficult."

He is writing a paper on the appropriateness of venerating Mary for a class at Detroit's Sacred Heart Seminary, where he is taking prerequisite courses for a master's degree in theology and pastoral studies. He also is writing a book for Ignatius Press and accepting speaking engagements through St. Joseph Communications, West Covina, Calif.

Jones, the father of three married sons and grandfather of six, is leaving the question of whether he becomes a priest up to the Church.

"If the Church discerns that vocation, I will accept it. If not, I will accept that, too. Whatever the Church calls me to do, I will do."

Although he has given up his job, prestige, and the congregation he built to become Catholic, Jones said the hardest loss of all has been the family and friends who rejected him because of his decision.

"To see those that have worshiped with and prayed with me for over 40 years walk away and have no contact with them is sad."

It was especially painful, he said, when his mother, who had helped him start Maranatha, left to go to Detroit's Perfecting Church, where his cousin, gospel singer Marvin Winans, is the pastor.

Neither Winans nor the pastor of the church that bought Maranatha's building would comment on Jones' conversion. Jones also is troubled that those he left behind do not understand his decision.

"To them, I have apostasized into error. And that's painful for me because we all want to be looked at as being right and correct, but now you have the stigma of being mentally unbalanced, changeable, being looked at as though you've just walked away from God."

Jones said when his group was considering converting, prayer groups were formed to stop them. "People fasted and prayed that God would stop us from making this terrible mistake. When we did it, it was as though we had died."

He said Catholics do not fully understand how many Protestants see their church. "There's this thin veneer of amicability, and below that there is great hostility."

But he remains convinced he is doing the right thing.

"How can you say no to truth? I knew that I would lose everything and that in those circles I would never be accepted again, but I had no choice," he said.

"It would be mortal sin for me to know what I know and not act on it. If I returned to my former life, I would be dishonest, untrustworthy, a man who saw truth, knew truth, and turned away from it, and I could just not do that."

1 Like

Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by prettystacy(f): 12:34pm On Aug 15, 2013
25Calibre:

Yes!!!! Very Good, and then when you die a staunch catholic, you would be sent to hell where the bowing down you do to Mary would come in handy, as those skills would be extrapolated and used by you in bowing down to lucifer and his agents.
Lol,I thot my tym here will actually make an impact. Imagine he's still sayin bow to mary.most of u talk frm hear say. Some have neva even been to a cath church or taken tym to ask y dis or dat is so, u jst prefer to stick to all dis fallacious beliefs of urs. I've gat beta things to do.
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Mariojane(f): 12:35pm On Aug 15, 2013
protestants just talk nd condemn without looking inwardly at themselves. the different btw us catholic nd u is dat, dis mary will honour deserved which u knw.nd she is dead which definately u can guess where she will be.we dont just honour her cos she is d mother of Christ, but we honour her cos she remain holy nd endure her child suffering nd also accepted her fate of having her child die before her own life.which u know no parent pray dat their children shuold die before them
but u people worship ur overseers nd Pastor praying to God dat u want ur lives to be like theirs. prayer in d name of d God of ur overseers not know d God he is serving. forgetting dat not all dat call God name really believe in him cos they have oda tins they worship.Jesus said "when u need something from my father, ask him in my name "bt u use d name of ur overseers.saying "God of Adeboye or God of Oyedepo. "they in turn will say "as I succeed u will succeed "etc. cant they just pray for u in jesus name or cant u just pray to God u believe in? cos u dont really knw who they serve. u re worshipping a living human like u. u guys got to sit down nd think B4 u open ur mouth to say Wht u believe is right which is totally wrong . I REST MY CASE

2 Likes

Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by condralbede(m): 12:35pm On Aug 15, 2013
matter mabilise ora pronobis.

pls pray for us!
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Rick9(m): 12:36pm On Aug 15, 2013
alaoeri:
How did u know that the picture u pasted was the same marry that gave birth to Jesus more than 2000 years ago?
I wonder Oh
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by telexfree1: 12:37pm On Aug 15, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Happy day my Catholic brethren. Let's commemorate the holy virgin Mary , mother of God in peace , which means please ignore these people called protestants ,Pentecostals or whatever rubbish name they call themselves.

I will end. With

Holy Virgin Mary, mother of God ,pray for us ,sinner ......

Free2rhyme your mum is a useless prostitute, in fact she's just a mere appendage. How does it sound?

Bunch of fcktards

Bros. you don't need this.
How can you bless and curse in the same breath ?
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Maidoki14(m): 12:38pm On Aug 15, 2013
It pain me i did not go to mass dis morning to witness dis blessed day.mary our dear queen pls continue to interceed for us.amin yesu!
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Ifymma(f): 12:40pm On Aug 15, 2013
JESUS LOVES HIS MOTHER SO MUCH THAT HE LISTENS TO HER AT THE WEDDING AT CANA, AND BY HER INTERCESSION HE TURNED WATER INTO WINE.

OH MOTHER MARY PLEASE INTERCEDE FOR US TO YOUR SON JESUS CHRIST JUST AS YOU INTERCEDED ON THE WEDDING AT CANA WHERE THEY RAN OUT OF WINE AND YOU MADE YOUR SON JESUS CHRIST TO TURN WATER INTO WINE, EVEN THOUGH HER SON (JESUS)TOLD HER WHEN SHE CAME TO ASK HIM FOR THAT MIRACLE, HE TOLD HER THAT HIS HOUR HAS NOT YET COME, BUT BECAUSE SHE IS HIS MOTHER WHOM HE VALUE MUCH, HE LISTENED TO HER AND SHE TOLD THEM........ "DO WHATEVER HE TOLD YOU TO DO"
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by kingthreat(m): 12:43pm On Aug 15, 2013
Catholics are Mary worshipers.
Christianity is based on Jesus the way to God. Worship of any other is idolatry. May the good lord have mercy on your sould. Read your bible to expose your ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by SIRKOL(m): 12:45pm On Aug 15, 2013
Speechless**
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by buchilino(m): 12:46pm On Aug 15, 2013
in my opinion its all idolatry angry
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by spongebuny: 12:46pm On Aug 15, 2013
kingthreat: Catholics are Mary worshipers.
Christianity is based on Jesus the way to God. Worship of any other is idolatry. May the good lord have mercy on your sould. Read your bible to expose your ignorance.

THE SAME BIBLE THAT WAS COMPLIED BY THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!!! LOL..... READ YOUR HISTORY PLS...

1 Like

Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by AwesomeDaniel(m): 12:46pm On Aug 15, 2013
Happy feast of Assumption to u all. Accept it in fate even if u don't believe in it. Its Real
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by buchilino(m): 12:49pm On Aug 15, 2013
they think believe dat physical and spiritual are the same. dat in the spirit there is mother father wife etc just like the Sadducee grin
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by buchilino(m): 12:49pm On Aug 15, 2013
Awesome Daniel: Happy feast of Assumption to u all. Accept it in fate even if u don't believe in it. Its Real

do u know dat demons r real?
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by manuelzz(m): 12:50pm On Aug 15, 2013
Baybe: Ave Maria our noble Queen...
Mother of Perpetual Succour- Pray for us your children. smiley

why would u always ask her to pray for u? if u pray for uself what will happen? undecided
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 15, 2013
IF U ASK ME I'D SAY
SOMEHOW THE MARY WORSHIPERS ARE BETTER BEHAVED THAN THE PASTOR WORSHIPERS
MARY DIDNT ASK TO 'SOW SEEDS' IN HER NAME. NOR DID SHE PERFORM FAKE MIRACLES
NOR FLY PRIVATE JETS (MAYBE HORSES IN HER TIME) WHILE HER FOLLOWERS WALLOWED IN MISERY
wink
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 15, 2013
buchilino: in my opinion its all idolatry angry
keep it for yourself
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 15, 2013
kingthreat: Catholics are Mary worshipers.
how does it affect u? Get a life
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 12:53pm On Aug 15, 2013
manuelzz:

why would u always ask her to pray for u? if u pray for uself what will happen? undecided
why do u ask your pastor to pray for u?
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by spongebuny: 12:53pm On Aug 15, 2013
so no protestant wants to quote my conversion stories....lmao! r u guys scaredhuh always running away from the truth!!! smh
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Nobody: 12:54pm On Aug 15, 2013
telexfree1:

Bros. you don't need this.
How can you bless and curse in the same breath ?
y are right.
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by alextayo(m): 12:54pm On Aug 15, 2013
Ave Maria, gratia plena
Dominus Tecum, Ave Maria
Benedicta tu, Benedicta tu in mu li eribus
et benedictus, fructus ventris tui JESU
SANCTA MARIA, ora, ora pro nobis

Hail full of grace
The Lord is with you
Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and to the hour of our death ..Amen
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by manuelzz(m): 12:54pm On Aug 15, 2013
spongebuny:

THE SAME BIBLE THAT WAS COMPLIED BY THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!!! LOL..... READ YOUR HISTORY PLS...

Bros,that the bible was conpiled by the catholic church dosn't in any way mean it was written or inspired by the catholic church..... undecided

1 Like

Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by Mariojane(f): 12:56pm On Aug 15, 2013
Mariojane: protestants just talk nd condemn without looking inwardly at themselves. the different btw us catholic nd u is dat, dis mary will honour deserved which u knw.nd she is dead which definately u can guess where she will be.we dont just honour her cos she is d mother of Christ, but we honour her cos she remain holy nd endure her child suffering nd also accepted her fate of having her child die before her own life.which u know no parent pray dat their children shuold die before them
but u people worship ur overseers nd Pastor praying to God dat u want ur lives to be like theirs. prayer in d name of d God of ur overseers not know d God he is serving. forgetting dat not all dat call God name really believe in him cos they have oda tins they worship.Jesus said "when u need something from my father, ask him in my name "bt u use d name of ur overseers.saying "God of Adeboye or God of Oyedepo. "they in turn will say "as I succeed u will succeed "etc. cant they just pray for u in jesus name or cant u just pray to God u believe in? cos u dont really knw who they serve. u re worshipping a living human like u. u guys got to sit down nd think B4 u open ur mouth to say Wht u believe is right which is totally wrong . I REST MY CASE
Mariojane: protestants just talk nd condemn without looking inwardly at themselves. the different btw us catholic nd u is dat, dis mary will honour deserved which u knw.nd she is dead which definately u can guess where she will be.we dont just honour her cos she is d mother of Christ, but we honour her cos she remain holy nd endure her child suffering nd also accepted her fate of having her child die before her own life.which u know no parent pray dat their children shuold die before them
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by chrys3: 12:57pm On Aug 15, 2013
hail mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, nw and at the hour of our death amen!
Re: Catholics Commemorate The Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary by spongebuny: 12:57pm On Aug 15, 2013
manuelzz:

Bros,that the bible was conpiled by the catholic church dosn't in any way mean it was written or inspired by the catholic church..... undecided

where were the pastors and protestants when the bible was complied!!! pls answer the question...Thank you!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Science Disproves Evolution / A List Of False Teachings In The Roman Catholic Church / Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.