Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,470 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! (5356 Views)

Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. / To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Sloganz: 4:17pm On Aug 16, 2013
Okay i am starting to adjust to my life as an atheist.
So far nothing is different in my life, just the fact that my Sundays are free.
I no longer have that burden of waking up and going to church, fortunately! wink

Am i the only atheist here?

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by emmyskies(m): 4:26pm On Aug 16, 2013
save your soul. Life doesnt end after death. Seek the face of God

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by wiegraf: 4:34pm On Aug 16, 2013
No you aren't. Welcome.

As anon put it; 'this is the internet, built by atheists, where religions come to die'

Free sundays aren't the only benefit... Your mind...

Clarity

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by nokia3310: 5:04pm On Aug 16, 2013
Sloganz: Okay i am starting to adjust to my life as an atheist.
I no longer have that burden of waking up and going to church, fortunately! wink

Congratulations on your independence!
I don't think you really need to adjust your life style as an atheist, this is because our life style is the most natural and default way of life (remember babies are born atheists).
Myself as a Muslim that dumped Islam for atheism (i've been an atheist for a year now) and i realized that:
1. I no longer feel guilt within me how much more seeking forgiveness.
2. I'm no longer scared of the imaginary hell fire our Imams have been preaching about.
3. I don't need to worry about where i am going to after death, as i don't even know where i was before my Mum conceived.
4. No need for repetitive and boring exercise they called five daily prayers
5. No need for starving myself in the name of Ramadan fasting.

Happy Sallah in arrears to all my Muslim brothers and sisters.

7 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 16, 2013

It's just a matter of time before you revert to Christianity, lol!

Reality Check 101; Atheists seldom hit the big leagues in an highly religious nation like Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by wiegraf: 6:30pm On Aug 16, 2013
FrostyZonn:

It's just a matter of time before you revert to Christianity, lol!

Reality Check 101; Atheists seldom hit the big leagues in an highly religious nation like Nigeria.

So, you're religious becuse it's profitable to your pocket

Well done

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Nobody: 6:47pm On Aug 16, 2013
I'm a proud atheist. My life has been wonderful for some while now. I now view life from a totally different perspective, and I can boldly say, this feeling has been the best so far in my life.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Sloganz: 7:06pm On Aug 16, 2013
Religion has always been used as a weapon of mass control in Africa...SAD

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by AlfaB: 8:09pm On Aug 16, 2013
Sloganz: Religion has always been used as a weapon of mass control in Africa...SAD

The best thing is like unlike a real weapon, you can actually tell the wielder to go Bleep himself

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Nobody: 10:55pm On Aug 16, 2013

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Nobody: 12:09am On Aug 17, 2013
Op change the topic to Skeptics, Agnosts, deists, Irreligious etc So more pple can contribute.
Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 17, 2013
wiegraf:

So, you're religious becuse it's profitable to your pocket

Well done

Typical Atheism. Twisting anything you don't see eye to eye with, to suit your purpose.

Well done.
Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Nobody: 9:34am On Aug 17, 2013
Welcome to freedom

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by wiegraf: 10:12am On Aug 17, 2013
FrostyZonn:

Typical Atheism. Twisting anything you don't see eye to eye with, to suit your purpose.

Well done.

Bros, you're now an expert on atheism? Last I checked you were a clueless tool. And that entails you actually having no idea as to how fatuous you are. You likely actually do think yourself some sort of expert, just as dame patience probably fancies herself an english prof.

Anyways, please good ser, explain to me why the need to mention that (you think) atheists don't usually make it? Do I have to quote it? Are you or are you not clearly asserting he will revert back to religion because he will find it hard to get by otherwise?

In before another silly bout of indignation and nonsense

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by EvilBrain1(m): 10:56am On Aug 17, 2013

lol @ bolded. OP must be new here.

In any case, welcome to reality. Do your family, friends and co-workers know you've unplugged yourself from the matrix? Or ate you living in the closet?

We need more atheists living openly to counter all the hatred, disinformation and discrimination against us.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 17, 2013
This wiegraf character is really immature, already blowing things out of context.

Anyhoo, I don't need to justify my comments to dunces like you(pardon my French) that doesn't seem to be equipped with any sense of humor. Come to think of it, I wasn't even addressing you in the first place!

So if you are so insecure as to feel threatened by my comments, then do the next best thing and hang yourself, why don't you?

And btw, who died and made you the atheist defender anyway?
Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by cyrexx: 11:19am On Aug 17, 2013
@ OP,

I remember having these feelings of loneliness where I first recovered from religion and discovered that it's all man-made mind control systems. I thought I was the only atheist in my community, but I was wrong. There are so many closet atheists, as I came to find out. Some even go to church/mosques to avoid problems with their family. But generally people are waking up from the delusions of religion and their imaginary Gods. The number of atheists in Nigeria is higher than you imagine.

Just stay strong, my friend, be bold and be wise. You are not alone. Our numbers are steadily and surely increasing. A time will come, globally and even in Nigeria, when rationality and reason will prevail over religion and superstitious thinking, however long it takes, it will surely come.

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by mumumugu(m): 11:56am On Aug 17, 2013
Define atheist

it is a person who sees the truth,knows the truth but refuses to accept the truth .

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Nobody: 12:37pm On Aug 17, 2013
mumumugu: Define atheist

it is a person who sees the truth,knows the truth but refuses to accept the truth .

Wrong. Here's the real definition.

ATHEISM

The belief that there was nothing, and nothing happened to nothing, and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason whatsoever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinasaurs.

Makes perfect sense, No? lol!
Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by UyiIredia(m): 1:02pm On Aug 17, 2013
wiegraf: No you aren't. Welcome.

As anon put it; 'this is the internet, built by atheists, where religions come to die'

Free sundays aren't the only benefit... Your mind...

Clarity

The Internet wasn't built by atheists >>> In fact >>> it's safe to assume that Christians played a major role in its founding.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by UyiIredia(m): 1:17pm On Aug 17, 2013
I'm currently a deist >>> It might be a permanent stance or not pending some reading which I'm feeling around >>> I don't know that anyone in my family knows but if it is found out going by my words here I will confirm it. And no >>> you are not the only Nigerian atheist here.
Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by AVmonster: 1:42pm On Aug 17, 2013
When I first started using Nairaland back in 2008 I was a skeptic. Nairaland and other things changed me into a deist.
Watching YouTube videos of "The Atheist Experience" changed me into an agnostic... The only thing stopping me from calling myself an atheist now is that I don't like the label undecided
The Atheist experience really opened my eyes.. I'm still in the closet though, but almost everyone knows I don't give two sh*ts about religion.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by cyrexx: 1:44pm On Aug 17, 2013
FrostyZonn:

Wrong. Here's the real definition.

Makes perfect sense, No? lol!

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by UyiIredia(m): 2:06pm On Aug 17, 2013
AVmonster: When I first started using Nairaland back in 2008 I was a skeptic. Nairaland and other things changed me into a deist.
Watching YouTube videos of "The Atheist Experience" changed me into an agnostic... The only thing stopping me from calling myself an atheist now is that I don't like the label undecided
The Atheist experience really opened my eyes.. I'm still in the closet though, but almost everyone knows I don't give two sh*ts about religion.

You don't have to >>> Anyone knows labels comes with associations that may not be true >>> Watched TAE too for a time and did not and still do not find their arguments worthy.
Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Enigma(m): 2:16pm On Aug 17, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

You don't have to >>> Anyone knows labels comes with associations that may not be true >>> Watched TAE too for a time and did not and still do not find their arguments worthy.

"Arguments" for atheism are always shallow and unworthy - usually attended by being blinkered ignorantly.

Saying atheism is a conclusion not a belief is an example of shallow thinking; of course it can similarly be said that theism/deism is a conclusion not a belief.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Nobody: 2:34pm On Aug 17, 2013
I'm starting to generate a new philosophy for myself....Let me give some insights

I'm trying to make myself belief that God is not a confused God as presented by most world religions and he knows we're human thereby know that we're fallible

I conceive of a God who is wiser than i'm so therefore i conclude that whenever someone offends me i just take it they are human and try to forget it and let it go by not wanting them to ask for forgiveness or looking for a way to get back at them , knowing that if something could go wrong it possible it goes wrong(Murphy's Law)...So If as human i can understand this then i believe God knows these things too.

I used to be mad at myself for having blasphemous thoughs and pray God takes it away not knowing it human to have such thoughs, Then i hate myself thinking i was on a journey to hell, but.i've come to the realisation that it's not the devil that it's just me and very normal..

Again when someone is Religious it's not like God wears them, They do not have God Almighty in their bodies making them new creatures , oh true many resist temptation and endeavour to live a pure moral life, but their thoughts continue to trouble them and have to be resisted until death anyone who claims otherwise is a liar

When i was younger and heard preachings about hell i used to be scared and would have thoughts in my mind like where can't there be one religion, thinking what if the muslims were right , what if?...But you know wat a world religion opines in her scripture that God purposely blinded some people so they wont see the truth i.e such people are hell bound i don't envisage such God if God created us out of love( that's my own thought)

I've also tried stopping holding satan or sheytan or any deity responsible for my wrong doings, because good and bad things happen to both good and bad people in the world .......

I just find it difficult to believe in natural selection because how is my eyes in the right position,anus ,nose et al....
I'm still finding answers still thinking...

Uyi wettin you tink abeg no blow grammar i know say you don dey read much now.
PS i'm not atheist...

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by wiegraf: 3:46pm On Aug 17, 2013
FrostyZonn: This wiegraf character is really immature, already blowing things out of context.

Anyhoo, I don't need to justify my comments to dunces like you(pardon my French) that doesn't seem to be equipped with any sense of humor. Come to think of it, I wasn't even addressing you in the first place!

So if you are so insecure as to feel threatened by my comments, then do the next best thing and hang yourself, why don't you?

And btw, who died and made you the atheist defender anyway?

I couldn't help but notice, you didn't answer the question. Just as predicted, you avoided it with more nonsense

So, my good tool, you're xtian for the money? Good for you. Don't expect the rest of us to be as shallow as you are though....eediot

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by UyiIredia(m): 3:47pm On Aug 17, 2013
@ shol >>> Thunder fire your nyash >>> Which grammar I blow >>> You sabi how many guys for here dey blow grammar pass me >>> talkless of the gbagaun wey I dey make. Udeyi !
Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by wiegraf: 3:48pm On Aug 17, 2013
Enigma:

"Arguments" for atheism are always shallow and unworthy - usually attended by being blinkered ignorantly.

Saying atheism is a conclusion not a belief is an example of shallow thinking; of course it can similarly be said that theism/deism is a conclusion not a belief.

I agree, talking donkeys are a lot 'deeper', strain a lot more grey matter

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by wiegraf: 3:50pm On Aug 17, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

The Internet wasn't built by atheists >>> In fact >>> it's safe to assume that Christians played a major role in its founding.

Hmmm?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by cyrexx: 4:16pm On Aug 17, 2013
Enigma:

Of course some people will find some sound philosophical and proven scientific arguments "shallow and unworthy" because their minds has been configured to believe apriori that "a fool says in his heart there is no god"

I wonder if their mind will work the same way if their scriptures has configured their mind to believe that "a fool has said in his heart, god is a dead jew that impregnated his own mother to give birth to himself and sacrificed himself to himself in order to appease himself"

9 Likes

Re: A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! by Nobody: 4:18pm On Aug 17, 2013
@Cyrexx, stop tripping, will ya?

Saying atheism is a conclusion is the biggest joke of the century...but again, you might have a point

Atheism is a conclusion that nothing is nothing from nothing...blah blah blah.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

An Angel Spot At Ghana / Purpose Driven Life Of A Christian By God / Two Days Straight I Have Had Dreams Of Nukes Fire And Mushroom Clouds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.