Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,731 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It (24711 Views)

With 2 Million Naira Which Business In Agriculture Can I Invest In / Do U Knw That An Unsuspecting Area Of Agriculture Can Give U Ds? Partners Needed / Make A Living With Piggery Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 12:45am On Nov 29, 2013
@ e-jaja:

Saw your post, please I will reply soon. Trying to take some rest from my travellings. I still have one for this week end. I will respond.
I like you because I am very curious like you too. A little rest is needed by me to make good compositions. You see, I compose my posts off-hand majorly. As soon as possible, I will reply! Please forgive me. Abeg!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by EJaja(m): 12:48pm On Nov 29, 2013
@ The Unbeatable. I would be waiting For ur. Patiently !!!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by FarmTech(m): 1:30pm On Nov 29, 2013
FarmTech: hi Unbeatable, can u pls tell me which meat goat breed is suitable in the south-east region? I really want to go into goatry.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by FarmTech(m): 1:31pm On Nov 29, 2013
FarmTech: i totally agree with you. Nigerians shud learn how to freely share information. The problem with many is that they even sell information that shud be free. Thanks so much. The australian lady u visited her farm, please i'll like to know some of the tips she shared with you. If u have pictures of how her pen look like, please share. Thanks.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by momexcellency: 4:56pm On Nov 29, 2013
Its very good you will be settling in Abuja so that when I am about to start I can easily call on you in case of any confusion. I want to know about their security, I mean to guard against thieves, do I need a fenced compound? Where can I buy a colony in Abuja? And how many can I start with to make reasonable profit. Thank you very much. Can I also have your phone number and email/ BB PIN.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Etesam(m): 7:22pm On Nov 29, 2013
The Unbeatable: @etesam:

I have seen onion plantation before. The place is an island and the onion plantation was on seed bed, grown normally like amaranthus cruentus and celosia argentia. I have limited knowledge about onion agronomy and I welcome all available knowledge.

Thank you all!

The Unbeatable
thanks; sir.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by datola: 12:54pm On Nov 30, 2013
I wonder if there is high demand for grass-cutters.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by momexcellency: 6:15pm On Nov 30, 2013
Are grasscutters not in high demand?
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by jamp: 10:10pm On Dec 01, 2013
Hello huz, I ve about 1000 birds in cage. How do I make money from their droppings.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by stagger: 3:04pm On Dec 04, 2013
The Unbeatable: FEEDING: my snails eat "chromolena odorata"(Akintola plant), Talinum fruticosum(Water leaf), decaying cassava peels, I heared they eat cocoyam leaf but I have not given them before. I give them ripe Carica papaya(pawpaw). Those are what I use to feed my over 30 snails of 4-5 different breeds.
I choose not to bamboozzle you with all the scientific names anymore, pls pardon me! Its just to drive home my points that its actually my line and my passion! I am not an authority on anything, We are all learning! There are many things I still don't know in this my line and it may be you( my reader now) that will teach me. So please don't hesistate to share your knowledge( that you know is viable o not what you heared from someone, please) for example, someone said pigs eat cassava peels and a pig farmer went to feed his pigs with cassava peels the other day, he was surprised when he got back that the pigs are dead! (That is 'owo wogbo ' monney enter bush I.e major loss) not knowing that it is dried cassava peels that pigs likes eating. I have tried it with mine and it worked! Cassava has high HCN (hydro cyanide or hydro cyanic acid) that is why garri is allowed to ferment before frying or "Epo pupa" (palm / Red oil ) is used when frying in some places.

HAHAHAHA! Ignorance is terrible. How can he feed his pigs with the peels where the hydrocyanic acid is fully concentrated? HAHAHAHHA!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 1:37pm On Dec 05, 2013
@ e-jaja:
I had answered your question sometime back but the network was down so my post was not successful.

Someone said, maturity is the ability to delay immediate gratification for future satisfaction. E- jaja, I respect you for your patience. Your kind is rare!

What I meant when I said " there are many things involved" means that there are many practices, labour and endurance involved. Since you can wait for me this long? You can do majority of agric business. I can assure you of that.
Cassava agronomic practices are numerous.
Preplanting, planting and post planting practices .
The type of vegetable in high demand in south west is amaranthus cruenthus( efo green), celosia argentia( soko), abelmoschus esculentus(okra or Ila). Telfaria occidentalis(ugu), ewedu.

About sprinkler, I will reply soon!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by FarmTech(m): 12:32am On Dec 06, 2013
Hi Unbeatable, can u pls tell me which meat goat breed is suitable in the south-east region? I really want to go into goatry.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 9:50am On Dec 06, 2013
@ farm tech:

We have different goat breeds in nigerria namely;
Red bororo, west african long legged goat, west african dwarf goat. These are the ones I can identify myself and can talk about. To the best of my knowledge, the west african dwarf goat is best suited to the west and south(edo, delta). They are hardy(rugged, rarely sick, strong) and gives delicious meat especially in "obe ata".
Cost price of weaners is around 3-4k depending on size and location and adult sells for 13- 18k. It is a good business but you can not raise them well in confine( I stand to be corrected anyway but this is what I have known with experience).

@ all:
Sorry for not being prompt with my posts, you know this is festive time and we all are chasing one thing or something is chasing us( to be candid). I have some names I wrote down and their questions but I have not answered. I had to answer e-jaja on dueress because my mind was always pinging me not to delay someones information because information is power and power is money(influence and afluence).
Need to attend to my pullets and pigs. Got to go.
I am open to any question because. Your questions revitalise my retentive memory and quest for more knowledge because I see myself nowadays buy more books on agric, practice it and dish out the knowledge to others for free becuase everyone may not have access to literatures.
I believe in one yoruba saying which states:
Enikeni ti iwo ba nipa lati se iran lowo fun, oun naa lenikeji e toju re ( whoever you have the power to help, he/she is your neighbour. Care for them)

Always loyal,
The Unbeatable.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 9:55pm On Dec 06, 2013
@datola, momexcellency:

demand for grass cutter differ from one location to another. if you stay in the urban arears, i think the demand is higher because of industrialisation and construction works that has either made this animal extinct or endangered specie. big men in the urban areas want to feel the sweetness of nature by demanding for "bush meat". in the rural arears, bush meat is common and cheaper.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 10:06pm On Dec 06, 2013
@ jamp:

Money from droppings?
There is only one way that I know and it is called "compost " it is an organic fertilizer sourced from both animal waste and plant waste. It is mixed in a propotion and allowed to decay. For sometime, it is then crushed and sieved into commercial size, bagged and sold for 1k per 25kg and if mixed with chemical fertilizer in a certain proportion, it is more active(organomineral fertilizer) and sold for 1500 per 25kg. I have more knowledge on this "turning waste to wealth" business! It is time and labour intesnsive but it gives good returns as well! Thank you!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by fayahsoul: 9:20pm On Dec 07, 2013
I need 2 healthy stock breed colonies of grasscutter ( Thryonomys swinderianus). pls any seller or contact should reach me via email: fayahsoul7@gmail.com. special tnx to all those who have contributed.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by FarmTech(m): 5:10pm On Dec 11, 2013
The Unbeatable: @ farm tech:

We have different goat breeds in nigerria namely;
Red bororo, west african long legged goat, west african dwarf goat. These are the ones I can identify myself and can talk about. To the best of my knowledge, the west african dwarf goat is best suited to the west and south(edo, delta). They are hardy(rugged, rarely sick, strong) and gives delicious meat especially in "obe ata".
Cost price of weaners is around 3-4k depending on size and location and adult sells for 13- 18k. It is a good business but you can not raise them well in confine( I stand to be corrected anyway but this is what I have known with experience).
thank u very much for your answer. I have read about the boer goat which is one of the best meat goat in the world. I am looking forward to rearing this type of goat. But I will first visit min of agric and some agric departments in some universities to see wot they have to say about it. If u know anything about the goat, pls share.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 12:20pm On Dec 17, 2013
@ e_ jaja;

I have not been able to settle down to make something comprehensive o but let me give a draft here.
For a 1 plot to 1 ha field, a 3hp surface water pump is appropriate. Depending on your taste of sprinklers, you will use 10 - 20 stock sprinklers and several meters of connecting pipes and connectors irrespective of your farm layout and irrigation orrientation.
Thank you. But in all, for a 1 plot land, you can budget 50k to 70k max for a simple perrenial irrigation scheme.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Barrchris: 3:18pm On Dec 27, 2013
I hav said dis bf nd I wil say it again.snail,rabbit nd grasscutter farming ar easy biz ventures dt ar lucrative nd dosnt reguire so much(capital) frm u. D easiest der is snail nd rabbit.wut I dnt understand is y our fellow nigerian brodas dt ar into d biz nd knw so much abt it wnt help in educatin odas fr free.anyway let's liv dt fr nw. If. U ar an aspirin farmer in need of info email or call me nd I wil b glad to help !!!bchristantus@yahoo.com bbm 2608C343 phone 08187321260 or 08069212535. I also supply grasscutter,snails nd rabbits. Fr a colony of grasscutter its sold fr 45 thousand naira nd snails ar sold dependin on d numba nd size as fr d rabbits a female is one thousand nd a male goes fr two thousand naira!!!!!feed addictives ar egualy available in oda to burst der growth....d supplement is made frm natural herbs nd green leaves wt crushed animal bones nd oda items etc jus call or email me I wil help u open ur own biz at no cost...fr pictures of ma pen house nd d animals add me on bbm wt d above pin send me a reguest on facebook-chrisantus uhio or twitter chrisantusbrendan....nd share ur success story wt me!!!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 11:00pm On Dec 27, 2013
@ barri chris:
God bless you for your contribution to this thread. I like you for your wanting to offer " free help". That is what we do here.
I am sure you dint bother to read through all the previous pages on this thread before making your post. If you did, I am sure you will know that you should make a more " constructive post" in this your first paragragh. Sir/madam, you don't spoil or water down other peoples effort to "build" your own. Its a bad awareness strategy and for your information sir, that will not work here.

Love you,
The Unbeatable!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 11:14pm On Dec 27, 2013
@ farm tech:
Brooooooda,
I so much believe in your guts. It gingers my teaching instinct but I must ask you some questions, my brother.
1 do you have an operating farm? Please pardon my ignorance.
2 if yes, how many world class animals are there?
3 do all animals adapt to thesame climatic conditions?
4 why are you not growing this common "green apples" at your back yard?
( Laughing in my mind)
I like your enthusiasm and vision its incomparable.
Mind you, I am not morking you. I just want your vison to be clear to the reality of what our challenges in Nigeria, that is why this website is called "Nairaland.com"

...Embraces...
Your Brother,
The Unbeatable!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Barrchris: 11:40am On Dec 28, 2013
@unbeatable. Seems u ar d boss here!!!!we'll sorry boss(unbeateable)I ws just tryn to help pple who dosnt knw anytn at all abt dis topics nd at d same tym tellin dem dt incase der nid d suppli am readili availabe to give it to dem...abi I no go chop oil....I b wood...boss ma practicals nd theory ar fr free buh I sell d animals in oda to update ma pocket....seems u ar a marketer too!!!ekele kwam gi...cheers ma chairman
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Barrchris: 8:47pm On Dec 28, 2013
Sum pics of ma produce lik I promised bf. 2608C343 08187321260 or 08069212535

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by FarmTech(m): 11:54pm On Dec 30, 2013
The Unbeatable: @ farm tech:
Brooooooda,
I so much believe in your guts. It gingers my teaching instinct but I must ask you some questions, my brother.
1 do you have an operating farm? Please pardon my ignorance.
2 if yes, how many world class animals are there?
3 do all animals adapt to thesame climatic conditions?
4 why are you not growing this common "green apples" at your back yard?
( Laughing in my mind)
I like your enthusiasm and vision its incomparable.
Mind you, I am not morking you. I just want your vison to be clear to the reality of what our challenges in Nigeria, that is why this website is called "Nairaland.com"

...Embraces...
Your Brother,
The Unbeatable!
Thanks once again for your reply. I currently have a poultry layers farm on a small portion of land. I am just trying to see how feasible boer goat farming will be in the south region where tse tse fly might pose a problem. I dont really know yet whether they can resist this fly despite all my googling.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by FarmTech(m): 11:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
Barr chris: Sum pics of ma produce lik I promised bf. 2608C343 08187321260 or 08069212535
those are quite cute pictures. My problem with rabbit and grasscutter is how to feed them grass during the dry season. Also, can they eat their way out of a wooden cage?
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by hotmas911(m): 7:45am On Dec 31, 2013
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by hotmas911(m): 7:45am On Dec 31, 2013
We have thousands of acres
of good fertile land for sale,
lease or rent in Ogbomoso,
Oyo state. Selling from
N50,000 per acre and u can
rent at 3k per year. Our lands
are suitable for most crops.
Good roads, peaceful and
friendly people. 08060318769
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Barrchris: 7:14am On Jan 01, 2014
@farmtech. Don't u hav enuf bushes arnd u or beta still d grass can b planted on any empty land nd watered in oda to feed d animals...I don't rilli gt wut ur problem is
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Bhurlagy(m): 10:16pm On Jan 02, 2014
I so much appreciate you on what you have been sharing but i want you to talk about watermelon,maize and cassava.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Angelstartups(f): 10:35pm On Jan 02, 2014
Investors are waiting for you on www.angelstartups.com.ng just capture the business proposal free and send to as many investors as possible.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by FarmTech(m): 11:49pm On Jan 02, 2014
Barr chris: @farmtech. Don't u hav enuf bushes arnd u or beta still d grass can b planted on any empty land nd watered in oda to feed d animals...I don't rilli gt wut ur problem is
in my area, grasses go dry during the dry seaon
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Jeromproject(m): 3:42pm On Jan 03, 2014
Wow! It's a new season already and JEROMFARMS is set to take your agro-businesses/projects over this 2014 and beyond. #B2FB Initiative...Don't be left out; trainings now runs from MONDAYS-SUNDAYS on special request. Book a date for your private training/seminar. Do you have a project in mind that you'll love us to handle for you or a seminar where you want a talk on agriculture? With Jeromproject, you don't have a problem...consider it done! We specialized on piggery, snailery, fishery, grasscutter farming and livestock management, as well as agro projects, feasibility study, consultation and business/budget planning. We handle individual, corporate bodies, churches, social groups, etc. Like us and check our profile page for interesting articles on www.facebook.com/Jeromfarms. Training fee: N10k only, which include materials + Certificate. Make payment to JEROMPROJECT & ALTECH, STERLING BANK - 0021388102. For more info: Call 08095663885, 08027624434, 08035237436, BB pin:22d59313, email:jeromprojects@gmail.com or visit:www.jeromfarmprojects.com. God bless you!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

See The Current Price Of Day Old Turkeys. / Rabbit Farmers Association Of Nigeria (RAFAN) Meet In Lagos (Photos) / Water Melon Farming ( A Money Spinner)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.