Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It (24707 Views)

With 2 Million Naira Which Business In Agriculture Can I Invest In / Do U Knw That An Unsuspecting Area Of Agriculture Can Give U Ds? Partners Needed / Make A Living With Piggery Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 5:27pm On Nov 23, 2013
Snail management:
You can raise your snails without buildings. You raise it in an open field but there are ways you will go by it. There are precautions so that you will not run at lose. You need a good land here and. You need to control snail enemies and theft fom fellow humans. This system can be as simple has making seed beds and planting crops on it so that the crops can provide food and shelter for the snails. You dont necesarily need tree crops or go planting maize and the likes. Irrespective of your little budget, you can arrange a farm that will be befiting for your status and i think that is why we go to school. So that we can always improvice and use the available best substitute for the job when there is absence of the original material. I think you all get my points now. If you want to travel from lagos to ibadan and your car broke down and lets say you have exams. The basic thing is to get to ibadan on time. You can take a light, go by a bus, a car, a truck, a bike, a bicycle or treak. The major thing is for you to get to ibadan on time, so any means that is available should be taken advantage of , then we look at the pros and cons of using any of the transport system. Right?
Thank you.
In this system, your snails. Is given an "In- situ" experience/ "living in the wild" experience.

Semi intensive method: in this method, you rear snails in pens but you also plant crops inside the pen as you also feed the snails too. They have a semi _ wild experience. Here you will need to water the pens unlike the extensive (previous) method. Snails grow faster here and you can always go there to monitor them at anytime you want.

Another method is the intensive method where you make concrete pens and take care of them there.
If you want to start big, you can have brooding house, where you will have incubation room, nursery and other rooms. Its only government that can operate on this scale because of its capital intensivity and labour works.

Before i forget, you can use tyres as your pen also. You only need to cover it with net on top and fill the first tyre with sand. Depending on the size of the tyres, it can take 5- 10 big snails. I think you get it now. Your creativity is needed in anyplace your fund falls short. You can also use basckets too. Turn the basckets upside down and use it or use another basket to cover another one containing soil.

If you have money, you can use fowl(poultry bird) wooden cage. You cover the sides and top with nets like mosquito nets and flexible iron nets and you can put thefour legs in insectiside(that is if you have the money). You can use "spent engine oil"/ or black engine oil. Put it inside empty babasala milo can and put the engine oil. This will control the snail enemies.
If you want me to speak big big grammars, i can but i think this simple constructions will help someone/investor that is not as educated as me. Infact, a man is said to be educated if he can express a big topic in simple ways. I have done a sensitization job for an organisation before. I did all my work and when i got to the evnue to deliver my lecture, it was something else, rural people more rural than what i thought were my audience. Infact, the language of communication first of all change from english to general yoruba that is if they are good enough to understand it. My people no be small thing o. But we thank God. I was not put to shame.and just yesterday i thought it wise to start trainign people on general practical agriculture because i have seen enough problems to launch me out to encourage not deceive people into starting small. Agric is worth doing if you can take the pains to learn.

Let me give a formula for snail mash if you care. I saw it in a book from centre for urban agriculture and developement. I dont take credit for other peoples labours.
Here is it:
Caco3 30%
Calcium phosphate 4%
Soya meal 20%
Sunflower seeds 5%
Wheat flower 40%
Vitamin mix or premix 1%
If you can afford it, make it and if not feed your snails with these other things:
Pawpaw(ripe or unripe)
Bababa or baba leve and peels
Tomato, cucumber, orange, watermelon, pineapple, plantain, corn, avocado, cashew, ugwu, cocoyam, potatoe, casava, egg plant, beans,brewery waste, anything you can feed you pig or goat, give your snails EXCEPT "SALT"!

I think this my little "workable knowledge" will be of help to just 1 person. It will give me great joy and encourage me to forge ahead with my training dreams.

I gave my company line here sometime back but i dont have fone to accomodate that sim for now. Let me give my personal line. Please send me a text message to introduce yourself first before calling me so that i get to save your number before you call. Your questions is best sent through text please because i like to sit down and attend to someone at a time secludedly. Its not every time i have money to suscribe. I am true. A nigerian with a fragile name and i stand tall to protect ti. If i cant help you, i will tell you. I am not God that is all sufficient and all knowing!

Merci beaucoup tontle monde!
Your friend,
The Unbeatable.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 5:32pm On Nov 23, 2013
please i will respond to other peoles posts later.my bottom is getting hot oooo i need to attend to other things.
i will anser:
emmysteve,5p1naz, bawelat, mike58,yemmit90, eddyspice,usa.number,star2008,onuels, eminikansoso,vpaymoney,boluwajokosegun,
and others.
bonsoiree!!!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Abojupupa: 8:27pm On Nov 23, 2013
Good effort, Dr Isa & Unbeatable. I had a snailery on free range at the backyard, and it was promising with several snails sleeping on the walls. The first 'accident' was theft by our neighbours' children. (don't know how they gained access to our fenced building.). The second were ants. They wiped off the population, twice. That discouraged me. But I have just discovered remnants of the snails in tyres dumped at the backyard, and your discussions on this thread give me hope to start all over. But I still have two questions, and I'll be glad to have your answers.
1. Is there any way I can control the ants and keep the snails on a free range?
2. How will I market the snails if I have population explosion?
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by EJaja(m): 1:55am On Nov 24, 2013
Gooday Dr Isa and unbeatable. I would like to commend you guyd for the great deal of expositions you two have added to this thread

I am looking at kickstarting my farming project with crop productions from next planting season come next year. I intend to startup with cassava and maize, with my target buyers being industral users(starch nd flour) from my reasearch I have noticed that their is a short suply of this crops for industral usage, which is why I would like to seek ur advice on this crops.
I would like to use this medium to ask if I can ger you numbers or email for a private discussion as I have a lot to ask. My email is iyerifama@yahoo.com.
Hope to hear from u guys soon
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by aAK1(m): 6:06am On Nov 24, 2013
Contact us for incubators,of different sizes at afffoldable rates 07061296381
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 11:00pm On Nov 24, 2013
@abojupupa
I like your courage. Its not easy to start any business in nigeria not even with the prevailent circumstances inherent.
Your choice of free range snail farming is good but their some structures you need to put in place.

You need to make a mosquito net cum flexible net wall for your snails. Inside your building, depending on your budget, make 1m high fence round a smaller portion of your fallow ground and. Use insecticides at the exterior of the fence. If you can afford a trench, that will be the lasting solution but if not just use the insecticide spray every week and you will have a safer environment. A systemic broad spectrum herbicide like "glyphosphate, active ingredient" will also help outside the fence. If you can use block, then you will need to cover it so that the snails wount climb and escape.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 11:18pm On Nov 24, 2013
@ e-jaja
I like your desire !
Maize and cassava is a good mix.
There are many things involved oooo!
You want to produce for factories, have you asked for how much they buy from farmers?
My person, from what I know(I stand to be correcteds sha) they don't give a good price.
You should ask why majority of farmers don't sell to them but rather sell to local garri makers.
Sir/madam, there are many problems involved in crop production ooo. I stand tall to say it ooo! To weed my okro and ammaranthus farm now is a problem for me even as I am talking with you even with my sprinkler irrigation gaan, I still have challenges.
Mind you I am not discouraging you o but I am preparing your mind for the task ahead.
Please
My advise for anyone that want to go into crop production now should think about "irrigation" because we are experiencing climate change now even here in nigeria. Rainfall, sunshine and relative humidity are not predictable. To your amaizement, irrigation systems are not that expensive as you all may think. Irrigation systems are many and there should be one that can suite your purse.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 11:44pm On Nov 24, 2013
@boluwajokosegun
Bros, I trowey salut oh
I like this your "cassava mouth cultivation" and sales.
You even want to sale the peels, hmnn. Doing business with you will be a nice thing because I will want to learn more from your school of thought.

@ 5p1naz:
Your abservations are plaussible on snail farming seminar guys. You are a typical nigerian man like me. You can't be intimidated!
Relocation to my own land is the next on my agenda. Once I have settled that, I am looking at on farm trainings for prospective agric investors. A farm like the famous songhai farm but it will take time.when I am ready, I should give a shout on nairaland here by Gods grace. I need to read your post again to give you some precautions.

Now, for people who are dropping their e mails, its not a bad idea, but I think keeping conversations open will be the best education fellow readers and contributors can ever have. Me too want to read this thread and get educated. We are all learning so please, I am begging, let's be liberal and security counscious. Thank you!

@vpaymoney:
Please becareful, nigerians somethime don't know what is disturbing them.
Before it was aloe vera crase, later, it was moringa and now its quail eggs. Who knows what next?
But if you still insist on your moringa cultivation, show your interest in another post and I will tell you what I know about the crop.
It is planted on my farm even now!

@datola:
Please read my previous post when I replied someone just now. You have almost all you need to start. Perimeter fencing wount be a bad idea! How I wish I can draw or make some dramatic explanations now but let me put it this way sir.
Have you been to a oil palm nursery before? Did you see the way they arrange it to form a rectangle shape on the ground. Let's say that is how you peg your land just use tiny wire nettings
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 11:57pm On Nov 24, 2013
@eminikansoso:
Depending on the scale you want to start with, I think, 200k will be enough to start little. You can show your interest in the one you want to start first!

@onuels:
You can start anyone. Both are profitable but rabbits are more prolific. You will have litres every 2-3 months and you can sell. You have a land? Good, then let's get started now!

@star2008: you can reach me on 08067341873. If you are calling from outside nigeria, it will be +2348067341873.

@usa.number: please take dressing from corner chen. Here is not for adverts.

@emmysteve:
My brother, enjoy your cage! Every disappointment is a blessing. Look for something to do with the extra spaces.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by EJaja(m): 4:41pm On Nov 25, 2013
@ The unbeateable
yes i totally agree with you that the market for cassava and maize can be very discouraging.
i have done a few reseach in the last 6 months and i intended make it buy producing root varieties with higer starch and an average of 30 ton per hectare for cassava and improved maize seed that can produce upto 3ton per hectare . which is one area where most farmers get it wrong especially in the production for cassava. http://www.tfinigeria.com/pricing.aspx
The link above is the current price of cassava from the company and other companies offer between 15 to 25k. And for maize I was told to either deal with the likes of nestle by becoming a contract farmer to them or sell to the national grain reserve for 100 naira per kg which make it 100k per ton. From my finding most cassava farmers fo not not identify there market, weither its for starch, flour or glucose.

I would like to findout what you mean by it involves somany thing in cassava and maize production.

I would also like to findout how much it would cost to setup a simple irrigation system (sprinkler).

And I woul like to ask what types of vegitables woul sell in the south west, as I plan to go into vegitable production while I wait for the cassava to mature.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Etesam(m): 7:51pm On Nov 25, 2013
The Unbeatable: @ e-jaja
I like your desire !
Maize and cassava is a good mix....
To your amaizement,...
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Etesam(m): 8:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
I wld like to go into onion farming. I live in Akwa Ibom State. I have passion for farming. It challenges me that we buy food from the north.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Abojupupa: 9:25am On Nov 26, 2013
@ The Unbeatable,
Thank you so much.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by TheUnbeatable(m): 9:03pm On Nov 26, 2013
@etesam:

I have seen onion plantation before. The place is an island and the onion plantation was on seed bed, grown normally like amaranthus cruentus and celosia argentia. I have limited knowledge about onion agronomy and I welcome all available knowledge.

Thank you all!

The Unbeatable
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by EJaja(m): 9:22am On Nov 27, 2013
@ the unbeatable your still yet to throw more lite on the questions I asked earlier, here are the questions again

I would like to findout what you mean by it involves somany thing in cassava and maize production.

I would also like to findout how much it would cost to setup a simple irrigation system (sprinkler).

And I would like to ask what types of vegitables or crop with a 30 to 90 day cycle would sell in the south west, as I plan to go into vegitable production while I wait for the cassava to mature.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by FarmTech(m): 12:44pm On Nov 27, 2013
5p1naz: I have zero experience in snail farming practically but vast knowledge when it comes to theory. I have been taught one on one... Read books and attended seminars in Nigeria and Ghana. Truth is I still wasn't convinced about the profitability of snail farming because these guys who teach these snail farming at these events don't even drive a car.

Not that I am here to boast or anything, I already have businesses giving me money, so if I can't. Get first hand facts about. Returns on an investment I immediately loose interest in the business.

Now the major reason why I am talking so much is this, first all I would say Isa and unbeatable, I think you guys are doing something good here that should not go "uncommended", taking time out of your busy schedules to educate us is commendable. Now the reason for my post, like I said earlier I have a lot of Infos on snail farming theoretically but never practically... I've tried and tried to get correct information on income and expenses locally but Nigerians are just not forth coming... All they are interested in selling to you is their book or more seminars.

I visited these guys farm in Lagos and I told him i already had enough seminars.. I just needed clarification on a number of things, he told me point blank he won't disclose anything to me until I paid for his seminar. I was disgusted.

So Late last month i went for a 2weeks holiday in Australia, and I met this Australian lady also into snail farming... Even though our african snails are different from their snail type, the farming practices are so much identical.. I was amazed at how much help and info she was willing to give out. She told me all I wanted to know.. I spent a whole week on her farm and we worked together all day.. She was just amazing. Now I know a lot better. I would try to use some of her skills here in Nigeria and hope I can make it bigger than hers. undecided grin

Her farm is on a 3 acre and she produces 10000 snails every week.

Moral of the story: Africans would forever remain undeveloped and poor if they do not emulate the attitude of the aussy lady, Isa & unbeatable.

I would start my farm soon on a 1 PLOt and see how it goes. Then I would enlarge it if successful. Whilst clearing the one plot of land, we found several snails (acharchatina marginata) which I kept in an enclosed space, 2 of which have just laid eggs. 1 didn't count the first Set of eggs from the first snail, But the 2nd egg was laid yesterday morning and I counted 50. That's a good start and promising. Anyways, I would order for my first set of breeders once the coco yam start to grow as shades on the land. And I would upload the egg pic as soon as I get on my pc. I'm still a learner and I would appreciate any suggestion.

This is just my experience so far...

Cheers
i totally agree with you. Nigerians shud learn how to freely share information. The problem with many is that they even sell information that shud be free. Thanks so much. The australian lady u visited her farm, please i'll like to know some of the tips she shared with you. If u have pictures of how her pen look like, please share. Thanks.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by FarmTech(m): 2:47pm On Nov 27, 2013
The Unbeatable: @ bawelat,
Irrespective of your "insincerity" today, I will still respond to your question on "goatry"

Goatry is not a business for starters! The business appreciate over time and you will need to have a source of income. You can't depend on funds from your goatry business to give you your daily food if not you will kill the business yourself!
Now, let's get to business. Answer these questions sharp sharp
1. How much can you aFford to start the business?
2 your location matters. It will influence your choice of breed to buy.
3 availability of "range" ( do you have a fence house? Goats don't grow while tied to a stake. They grow if allowed to walk arround. That's the secret!
4 is there protection against pilferry (thieves/ ole) or poisoning from bad people?
5 have you done market research in your area about the marketting of goats?
You will need a vet doctor, can you afford it? If not befriend one of them o ( laughing)
6 you need shelter against adverse weather conditions. ( Do you know that water don't touch some parts on the head of goats? Dats why they shake their head while running for shelter on a rainny day)
7 can you cope with the menance of their bleep and dungs?
8Can you make pap and milk and spoon feed them if they are sick and can't eat? Especially the young ones!

These are some of the questions I can remember now. Please answer them in your heart and if you are bold and sure enough? Reply my questions here and let's discuss further.
You can still count on me if need be but you need to be straight forward with me. If you don't know, before I make any post, I still go back and read previous posts before replying any question or making any comment.

Evalastingly at it,
The unbeatable.
Mind you, dis is my nairaland name oooo! I am a cool Yoruba man and agric is my PRIDE!!!
hi Unbeatable, can u pls tell me which meat goat breed is suitable in the south-east region? I really want to go into goatry.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by FarmTech(m): 2:58pm On Nov 27, 2013
As a great admirer of agriculture, this thread is one of the best I've ever seen. I currently have 547 pullets. If you're interested, check out my progress here where I share a lot of useful information: https://www.nairaland.com/1429964/poultry-farm#19826613
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 4:39pm On Nov 27, 2013
Thank you very much Unstopable and Dr Isa for ur concern, i really apprecite. I think i av settle. Bellow is the pix. Thanx.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 4:57pm On Nov 27, 2013
Unstoppable. To upload pix on Nairaland is as easy as ABC or 123 simpliy click on quote button the way you reply comment, under you will see "choose file" and go to the file on you phone that you wish to upload. Make sure the size of your photo is less than 200KB.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by momexcellency: 5:25pm On Nov 27, 2013
Thank you so much for the information. I have been nursing to go into Livestock Farming, but I have a burden in my heart on who will run it for me. I want to start with poultry but because of the risk involved and my lack of experience I will like to start with snail/ grasscutter farming. Please can the two be done on one land and what requirement should the person that will manage @ the farm possess. Please I will appreciate your advice on this. Thank you.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 7:01pm On Nov 27, 2013
Below is my cage. 6ft long, 3ft wide. Its actually bigger than its looks

1 Like

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 7:19pm On Nov 27, 2013
Make more money raising guinea fowls

Entrepreneurs are reaping from little known
animals with promising future, such as the
raising of guinea fowls, geese, rabbits,
grasscutters, quails, ducks, snails, etc. This is
because the business is easy to start and it
requires a small capital. Our nationwide
seminars are initiated to drive investments in
agriculture, skills and develop a robust
economic base that can withstand the shock
that will come after oil.
For people who want to start their own
businesses, I will advise them to try raising
guinea fowls for a steady income. Given the
state of the economy, guinea fowl farming is
one of the most lucrative ventures for small
scale farmers. Guinea fowl is a valuable
genetic resource for evolving a low input-
grain saving poultry alternative for production
in the developing world. Today’s farmers
should embrace creative subsistence farming
to meet the food needs of the family and even
to augment income.
At Jovana Farms, we are looking inwards and
focusing on the neglected, but vital sources of
animal protein for household diet and
employment generation. Therefore, our
nationwide agro-seminars are intended to
provide useful information on the various
aspects of animal production, create
awareness and thus motivate Nigerian
farmers, investors, job seekers, retirees,
students to get involved in animal farming for
profits.
Many people have never seen a guinea fowl,
not talk of hearing of the fowl. Guinea fowls
are galliformes, a group encompassing all
chicken-like birds. Native to Africa, they are
known for travelling in large, gregarious
flocks. There are seven species of guinea fowl,
of which the helmeted pearl is by far the
most common. Others are the white and the
lavender, etc.
Guinea fowls are raised mainly for their tasty
meat and eggs. The meat has a taste similar to
other game birds and has many nutritional
qualities that make it a worthwhile addition to
the diet. The meat is lean, dry and rich in
essential fatty acids. The meat has a high
yield of 80 per cent after processing with
excellent meat to bone ratio. Many people
don’t know that it is more profitable to raise
guinea fowl than chicken.
The business
Chicken and turkey farmers keep guinea fowls
to ward off poultry-eating predators.
Ranchers turn them loose to discourage
rattlers and copperheads. Rural dwellers like
the way they gobble down diseases-carrying
ticks. Orchardists use them to drive off
marauding birds. Farmers put them to work
patrolling for row crop pests. Guinea fowls
perform these functions without damaging
crops because they much prefer insects,
weeds and seeds.
Guinea fowl farming can start with a unit
normally called a foundation stock, which is
sold for N25,000 depending on the specie. A
unit comprises two males and eight females.
It may interest you to know that you could get
fast-growing species of guinea fowls and other
animals, including large quantities of geese
and quail eggs from our farm.
Rearing systems
Three methods of rearing guinea fowls are
free-range, semi free-range and intensive
systems. When kept intensively, low light
intensity should be used to reduce possible
flightiness.
Guinea fowls are difficult to confine in open
yards unless their wings are pinioned or one
wing is clipped. In their wild state, guinea
fowls mate in pairs. This tendency prevails
also among domesticated guineas if males and
females in the flock are equal in number.
They are hardy birds; therefore, they do not
suffer from many diseases as compared to
chickens.
Feeding
Those who believe in the virtue of hard work
are advised to try raising guinea fowls. A good
commercial chicken or turkey mash will give
satisfactory results, with birds either on free
range or in confinement. In the wild arena,
the guinea fowl eats a variety of foods but
most important are weed seeds and waste
grains, which fall to the ground after the
harvesting of crops. Some common guinea
fowl diets include: fruits, berries, seeds, grass,
insects, worms, molluscs and frogs. They have
gained popularity for use in reducing insects’
population in gardens, snail farms and around
the home.
Reproduction
The guinea fowl can begin to lay eggs as young
as 16 -17 weeks old and can lay up to 120
eggs or more in a year. In tropical Africa,
laying only occurs during the rainy season
and a few weeks that follow. A clutch size of
12-15 eggs is common. A guinea fowl’s egg is
smaller than that of hens, and on the average,
weighs 40g and has very hard shells, which
are difficult to test for fertility by candling.
Incubation period is 26-28 days.

2 Likes

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 7:47pm On Nov 27, 2013
@momexcellency I think i can help a little and leave the rest to the ogas at the top of this thread. If you have the finance, ofcox you can start the two at thesame time. Personally, i think rearing grass cutter is more easier and less risky than Snail farming. You dont need a big farm land before starting since you can confine them. As you can see a cage in my previous post, that would accomadate upto 20 grass cutters. you can start grass cutter farming with a family. A family of grass cutters is made up of 1 male and four female making five. A family goes for 45, 000 naira. As a fresher, its advisable you buy them at four months old and they start reproducing when they are 6 or 7 months. Grass cutters reproduces twice in a year with an average of 6kids and a maximun of 10 at once. Abeg permit me to stop here, tommorow i shall continue with their marketing, feeding, etc of grass cutters. Dont get it twisted, i be learner like you. I am only sharing my knowledge becouse i am also a potential grass cutter farmer. GOOD NITE
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by momexcellency: 10:18am On Nov 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your quick response. Please when you are ready to continue the teaching on feeding, marketing etc. About grasscutters, please consider my location, I live in Abuja, hope it is marketable in Abuja and the hot weather what is the effect on them? Thank you as I await your reply,
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by yemmit90: 1:21pm On Nov 28, 2013
@Emmysteve, Grass cutters is more easier and less risky than snail farming?

Sth!
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by eddyspice(m): 3:06pm On Nov 28, 2013
yemmit90: @Emmysteve, Grass cutters is more easier and less risky than snail farming?

Sth!
i agree with u.thanks for the info
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 7:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
yemmit90: @Emmysteve, Grass cutters is more easier and less risky than snail farming?

Sth!
what do you mean sir?
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 9:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
This is their feeding trough. Its made from clay.

Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by Emmysteve(m): 10:02pm On Nov 28, 2013
momexcellency: Thank you so much for your quick response. Please when you are ready to continue the teaching on feeding, marketing etc. About grasscutters, please consider my location, I live in Abuja, hope it is marketable in Abuja and the hot weather what is the effect on them? Thank you as I await your reply,
u are welcome. Abuja ? i am also planning to settle in Abuja once i finish my service february next year. I currenty live in Kaduna.

Back to your question, the location doesnt really matter because grass cutters love heat. infact, you must protect them from cold weather.

Feeding: you can feed them twice a day i.e morning and evening. Grass cutters feed mainly on grass. in other words you dont need to spend money buying feeds unlike other animals. All you need is cuttlas and a pear of jungle boot. You can also intruduce them with concentrates such as corn, rice, pawpaw, bone(to steengthen their teeth) patato peels, sugar cane peels etc

Marketibility: Since its Abuja you dont have a problem, to be frank with you grass cutter meat is very cost compare to other meats. A single grass cutter can go for 2,000 to 5.000 naira depending on they size. Grass cutters are very big in size o no thesame with those common ones you see in the bush, they can even weight 9kg. Your target audience should be hotels, restourants, eateries, individuals and prospective grass cutter farmers. just make sure you have enough of them so that when ever your customers are in need of meat you should be able to give them regular supply.
Re: Agriculture Can We Really Make A Living From It by koolsammie(m): 10:19pm On Nov 28, 2013
any idea about pigs?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

See The Current Price Of Day Old Turkeys. / Rabbit Farmers Association Of Nigeria (RAFAN) Meet In Lagos (Photos) / Water Melon Farming ( A Money Spinner)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.