Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,713 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. (1292 Views)

Marriage proposal that Sent A Lady under the table (Photos, Video) / Pictures &Video:See The Marriage Proposal That Got A Lady Rolling On The Floor / Do You Consider Height A Major Issue In Choosing A Partner? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by frabel: 12:02pm On Aug 22, 2013
Can difference in Church Denomination be a major issue in marriage proposal.

Hello all,
please i need ur contributions and advice on this issue, i have tried to handle it on my own but its not working.

I have a girl that i have been together with for some years now. And after a lot of consideration i decides to take the relationship to the next level (marriage) because i believe that two of us loved each other very much, but i got the shocker of my life when the Girl told me that i must change my religion from Catholic to any other church before we can talk about marriage.

She is a Pentecostal*(winners) her mother attends another Penticostal, Her father and one of the sisters are catholic, and i am a staunch catholic.

I have tried all i can to convince her about going to catholic with me but she refused, saying that her mind cant accept it.

Please friends and well wisher, what will i do. I cant go to any other church except catholic and still i don't want to loose this lady cuz i love her so much. All my relations know her and they all accepted her.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by frabel: 12:43pm On Aug 22, 2013
i really needs ur take on this issue.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by k2039: 12:49pm On Aug 22, 2013
You can't eat your cake and have it at thesame time.

If you want her, renounce catholism. If you love the catholic faith, leave her alone and let her be.

It's that simple.

Even if you guys get to marry with both of you retaining your faith, the biggest problem both of you will likely face is how to raise the children. Trust me that can get ugly unless you both agree on what faith your children will follow. I'm sure she wouldn't want her children raised as catholics and I'm sure you wouldn't want your children raised as pentecostals.

It's going to get very ugly in the future if one of you don't change to the others religion.

Besides, I know pentecostals have their reservations against the catholic faitha and I'm sure your girl friend will never change her stand.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by frabel: 1:05pm On Aug 22, 2013
thanks bros,but in reality its not that simple, so many yeears of hopes and anticipation flushed down the drain, cry cry cry[

quote author=k2039]You can't eat your cake and have it at thesame time.

If you want her, renounce catholism. If you love the catholic faith, leave her alone and let her be.

It's that simple.

Even if you guys get to marry with both of you retaining your faith, the biggest problem both of you will likely face is how to raise the children. Trust me that can get ugly unless you both agree on what faith your children will follow. I'm sure she wouldn't want her children raised as catholics and I'm sure you wouldn't want your children raised as pentecostals.

It's going to get very ugly in the future if one of you don't change to the others religion.

Besides, I know pentecostals have their reservations against the catholic faitha and I'm sure your girl friend will never change her stand.

[/quote][b][/b]
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 22, 2013
I can't marry a catholic, I can't even date a catholic...I have nothing againsst the oooO, but that's just the fact..
I can change my church to my future hubby's church but it all depends. On the church..

I believe in one family, one church, if I'm not comfortable with yourr church then it's a no no.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by Dubemkelly(m): 1:32pm On Aug 22, 2013
U guys hvnt luved each oda enuf if denomination poses d problem...To be on a safe side,withdraw n go 2 a gurl or same christian faith n being a catholic member,u establishin a thug of war to yhu dad hu's still a member...As 4 me,denominatn cant b a hindrance if i see dt gurl i luv 2 d bone
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by frabel: 2:36pm On Aug 22, 2013
thanks bro. i believe we love each other enough. im a very religious person, and catholic is the only church i understand, besides. i still have my family to battle with. but my girls familly does not have issue with her changing church, just that the girl refuse to change. im tired of all this, how on earth will i make her to change her mind.

Dubemkelly: U guys hvnt luved each oda enuf if denomination poses d problem...To be on a safe side,withdraw n go 2 a gurl or same christian faith n being a catholic member,u establishin a thug of war to yhu dad hu's still a member...As 4 me,denominatn cant b a hindrance if i see dt gurl i luv 2 d bone
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by frabel: 2:40pm On Aug 22, 2013
baby i respect ur views, but she knew that im a catholic from day 1, at a time i raised this issue and she told me to relax that we will cross the bridge when we get to it, and now just this, im so sad. cry cry cry

:'
duffie: I can't marry a catholic, I can't even date a catholic...I have nothing againsst the oooO, but that's just the fact..
I can change my church to my future hubby's church but it all depends. On the church..

I believe in one family, one church, if I'm not comfortable with yourr church then it's a no no.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by k2039: 2:56pm On Aug 22, 2013
frabel: thanks bros,but in reality its not that simple, so many yeears of hopes and anticipation flushed down the drain, cry cry cry[

quote author=k2039]You can't eat your cake and have it at thesame time.

It's that simple.

That's why the bible talks about counting the cost before going to war. Essentially, it means begin with the end in mind.

I understand how you feel, not to blame you though, but you should have thought about this from the onset, afterall you know pentecostals have their reservations about catholics.

The safest thing to do is to pull out, the ealier you do this the better for you. A lot of years have been wasted already, you can't add more additional years to the wasted ones.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by frabel: 3:25pm On Aug 22, 2013
ITS NOT EASY BRO.

k2039:
That's why the bible talks about counting the cost before going to war. Essentially, it means begin with the end in mind.

I understand how you feel, not to blame you though, but you should have thought about this from the onset, afterall you know pentecostals have their reservations about catholics.

The safest thing to do is to pull out, the ealier you do this the better for you. A lot of years have been wasted already, you can't add more additional years to the wasted ones.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by baaliyah(m): 3:34pm On Aug 22, 2013
Na wa o. Are catholics not christians or they say Allahu akbar. Is ur girl still a teenager. She has got who will make her happy, if ur story is correct, leave her, she may end up marry a non christian. If u can not agree on a non issue like this I doubt ur compartibility. There are big challenges in marriage, this is not one of them. Marriage works well when parties involved are ready to compromise. Forget about the wasted years.It is how well not how far. Good luck.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by tpia5: 4:00pm On Aug 22, 2013
all this should have been ironed out before taking the relationship to the next level.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by frabel: 4:53pm On Aug 22, 2013
thanks bro. [quote
author=ba_aliyah]Na wa o. Are catholics not christians or they say
Allahu akbar. Is ur girl still a teenager. She has got who will make her
happy, if ur story is correct, leave her, she may end up marry a non
christian. If u can not agree on a non issue like this I doubt ur
compartibility. There are big challenges in marriage, this is not one of
them. Marriage works well when parties involved are ready to
compromise. Forget about the wasted years.It is how well not how far.
Good luck.[/quote]
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by holyvirgin: 6:13pm On Aug 22, 2013
Every woman must follow her husband and worship in his church, not the other way round.
Leave her alone if she does not want to follow you to your church.
I am a staunch catholic and I believe that catholics should not abandon their faith just cos a lady is not comfortable with it. What if she was a moslem? Would you become a moslem just so you could get married?
Abeg leave her alone may be when she turns 40 and still single she will realize that denomination does not really matter in marriage.
Crazy ladies

1 Like

Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 22, 2013
Neither of you accepted each other "as is" you both have hidden agendas. Maybe you guys can postpone the marriage and try to build on acceptance and friendship first.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by Adaeze003(f): 6:52pm On Aug 22, 2013
Penticostals be like 'pull out', catholics be like 'let her go'. Still we say we worship the same God. Smh!

Anyway op just get your scale of preference if the girl is more important you migrate if not, you look 4 a catholic girl. What more can one say?
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 22, 2013
It shouldn't.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by frabel: 7:48pm On Aug 22, 2013
thanks so much for ur different opinions. the truth is that, its not easy. imagin building ur future and happiness around somebody just to wake up one morning to realize that u have been wasting time, energy and resources. its quite heartbreaking.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by SLIDiE(m): 8:11pm On Aug 22, 2013
frabel: Please friends and well wisher, what will i do. I cant go to any other church except catholic and still i don't want to loose this lady cuz i love her so much. All my relations know her and they all accepted her.
dude, answer this:

If ur parents were staunch muslims, won't u defend the religion?

If they are idol worshippers and u were trained in like manner, won't u defent it?

U really though it's by choice we chose a religion?

And those who changes from one religion to another and claims to knw d truth are either confused or adultrous!

My point?

U and the lady are staunch Id!ots who failed to understand that religion is nothing!!

Now, u claim to worship the same God, yet u refused to accept the same religion! I bet u are gonna pick out why u can't accept the other religion!

U are both blind!!!

Go figure!

1 Like

Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by Enegod(m): 8:29pm On Aug 22, 2013
smh
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by frabel: 9:18pm On Aug 22, 2013
bros ur question are very explicit and quite revealing, but i really dont have answers. u know in issue of love, emotions and sentiments always overrule logic, but im still trying to look at it logically, thats y i refused to change, traditionally and biblically, the woman should follow the man, even my elder brother married a Pentecostal and the lady followed him to catholic. and they are still living happily, really, i dont know y my case is different. [quote
author=SLIDiE]dude, answer this:

If ur parents were staunch muslims, won't u defend the religion?

If they are idol worshippers and u were trained in like manner, won't u
defent it?

U really though it's by choice we chose a religion?

And those who changes from one religion to another and claims to knw d
truth are either confused or adultrous!

My point?

U and the lady are staunch Id!ots who failed to understand that religion
is nothing!!

Now, u claim to worship the same God, yet u refused to accept the same
religion! I bet u are gonna pick out why u can't accept the other
religion!

U are both blind!!!

Go figure![/quote]
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by SLIDiE(m): 11:08pm On Aug 22, 2013
frabel: biblically, the woman should follow the man, even my elder brother married a Pentecostal and the lady followed him to catholic. and they are still living happily, really, i dont know y my case is different.
urs is different because ur fingers are different in length!
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by Nobody: 11:35pm On Aug 22, 2013
u guys should've discussed during the toasting level na. I won't even date a catholic or those peeps who wear white garment or something, not to talk of marrying. I don't dislike them but its just like dat. Try talking to her anyway, tell her to choose btw u and her church, u sef can say because of love follow her go her church. Na u guys happiness matter most o
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by tpia5: 11:41pm On Aug 22, 2013
Happiness is overrated.

If you both feel it wont work, then there's really nothing else to say. You can go ahead and marry, see if it will stand the test, if it wont then at least " you'll always have paris" like they said in casablanca.

You can also consider it better to not start what will only end in conflict, its really up to you both.

And if, on the other hand, you both decide to see if you can scale this hurdle, then its still YOUR call.
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by Nobody: 3:14am On Aug 23, 2013
booqee: u guys should've discussed during the toasting level na. I won't even date a catholic or those peeps who wear white garment or something, not to talk of marrying. I don't dislike them but its just like dat. Try talking to her anyway, tell her to choose btw u and her church, u sef can say because of love follow her go her church. Na u guys happiness matter most o

True talk
Re: Can Difference In Church Denomination Be A Major Issue In Marriage Proposal. by Nobody: 5:20am On Aug 23, 2013
tpia@:
all this should have been ironed out before taking the relationship to the next level.

Gbam!

(1) (Reply)

'submissive Role' With Husband: 'I Want Him To Lead / When You’re In A Goodrelationship, You Learn These10 Things / Top Reasons Why Everyone Should Date An Extrovert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.