Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

General New Zealand Student Enquires - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General New Zealand Student Enquires (210424 Views)

New Zealand Student Visa / Australia Or New Zealand Student Visa! / New Zealand Student Visa: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 8:46pm On Jan 07, 2017
yuad:

Thanks......was wondering if it is hard to get a rental property as my husband and I don't want to have to share with a flatmate
Which part of the country, what university and level of study?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by yuad: 7:13am On Jan 08, 2017
cconcept:

Which part of the country, what university and level of study?
I will be going to auckland and studying at MIT for an undergraduate course. From what I've read on the net is it true that so that auckland is unsafe?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 7:45am On Jan 08, 2017
yuad:

I will be going to auckland and studying at MIT for an undergraduate course. From what I've read on the net is it true that so that auckland is unsafe?

I dont live in Auckland.
@solomoncater will be in a better position to give you the required information OR check/contact the
Association of Nigerians in New Zealand (Naija-Kiwis) Facebook page.

Congrats once again

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by yuad: 7:28am On Jan 09, 2017
cconcept:

I dont live in Auckland.
@solomoncater will be in a better position to give you the required information OR check/contact the
Association of Nigerians in New Zealand (Naija-Kiwis) Facebook page.

Congrats once again
Thanks heaps. God bless

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by solomoncater: 2:24am On Jan 10, 2017
MIT is a good school and suburbs there are quite cheap as well compared to Auckland city. You can budget about $600 for a 2 bedroom flat or $360 for a studio. (All Inclusive: Power, Water, Electricity) etc. The best place to look for this is on Trademe, but, since you are abroad now, You can't have access to Trademe. Welcome to Auckland.

yuad:

Thanks heaps. God bless
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 2:28am On Jan 10, 2017
solomoncater:
MIT is a good school and suburbs there are quite cheap as well compared to Auckland city. You can budget about $600 for a 2 bedroom flat or $360 for a studio. (All Inclusive: Power, Water, Electricity) etc. The best place to look for this is on Trademe, but, since you are abroad now, You can't have access to Trademe. . Welcome to Auckland.

That's the boss of Auckland, I salute
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by cconcept: 9:14am On Jan 10, 2017
courtesy of @Sirlovings

"Sirlovings:

In my case, I am married to a kiwi. I have two lovely kids. If you plan to come on a student visa, it will be better for you because it is more straight forward. Since you have got admission from a school here, I will advise you to continue with the student visa but plan it very well. Don't be desperate to move so you won't make mistakes. PLEASE DO NOT USE AN AGENT, you can do everything by yourself.

Have you got your offer of place, or confirmation of enrollment from the school? if yes then start sorting the following things out:

1. Your International passport.

2. Evidence of Fund - You must have enough fund for each years of the duration of your study. It is usually a minimum of 15000 NZD. So if you are looking at getting a one year visa, you must have at least equivalent of 15000 nz dollars in your account or in your sponsor's account.
Having this money will show that you are able to take care of yourself while studying in New Zealand.
Note that it is better to pay a full year school fee for your first year, this will help convince them that you are a genuine student.

3. Offer of place or confirmation of enrollment - since you got your admission, I believe you are already sorting it out with the school. I also believe that you chose a good course which would help you stay in nz by apply for Skilled Migrant work visa and then Residency if you plan to go that way or you could use the family category..
It is always better to study a course that are in Long term skilled migrant shortage list. This will be handy when you are applying for your residence visa. Remember that New Zealand visa is based on point system and you have to meet the 160 points. See link: http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/long-term-skill-shortage-list.pdf

4. Health - You will need to do your medicals as a proof that you are in good health. You will need chest X-ray as well. Since you live in Nigeria, they might require you to do full medicals. I think it will cost you around 50-60 thousand naira. See link: http://onlineservices.immigration.govt.nz/templates/Content/ListsPopup.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7bD7D1DC3B-F70D-4BED-9E3A-DB535805EF16%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fmigrant%2fstream%2fwork%2fskilledmigrant%2fLinkAdministration%2fToolboxLinks%2fpaneldoctors%2ehtm%3flevel%3d1%26_ga%3d1%2e66193198%2e1049625819%2e1483730207&NRCACHEHINT=Guest&_ga=1.66193198.1049625819.1483730207&level=1

5. Character: Immigration New Zealand will like to make sure that you are of good character with no criminal records. They don't joke with crime here. If you live in Nigeria, you will need a Police clearance from Nigeria. If you have lived in another country for more than a Year in the last 7 years, you will need a police clearance from that country. I think you can get your Nigerian police clearance for like 10k or less from:
Central Criminal Registry Force C.I.D. Annex
Alagbon Close Ikoyi
Lagos, Nigeria.

6. Medical/Travel Insurance - you will need health insurance except if you are coming here to study for PhD. Free or subsidized Medical care is only for New Zealand citizens and Resident visa holders

7. - Letter to Immigration New Zealand, explaining why you choose to study in New Zealand and your intention to return home after your studies (even if that's won't be the case) You will need to show them that you are a genuine student and that your intention is to study and return home with your knowledge. This is the tricky part and this is where you will need to convince them that you have enough fund to see you through while studying. And that you are not an Economic migrant who is just looking for a way to leave his country.
If Immigration New Zealand think or suspect that you are not a genuine student, the case officer might just decline your visa.
So you need to be careful and make sure you have chosen the right course, atleast a course that is needed in nz like; Engineering courses, Nursing, Medicine, surveying, Health care course etc..

Once you have put your supporting documents together, go to Immigration New Zealand Website and download or fill your form online (3-4 different forms). You can apply online or you can send them to the VAC office in Pretoria, South Africa. They will receive your application and visa fee and then send it to INZ office in New Zealand Embassy.

Note that you can work for 20 hours while the school is on and for unlimited hours during school holidays.

Please do not use fake documents because it will result to a ban. You might not even be aware of your ban. They will only say things like " you intend to deceive Immigration New Zealand and that you are not a genuine applicant. A ban from INZ means you cannot get Australian visa too. it might even affect your UK visa if you apply in any of those countries as they share Immigration information. So DO NOT USE AN AGENT.
Read about other people's cases in online forums and do it yourself.

This will be part of your first step to getting into New Zealand. For your proper work visa and residency, it will be another story when you get here.

Do note if you commit any crimes while in New Zealand and you get convicted for more than 3 months you will get deported. New Zealand is very strict with their laws."

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by latolak(m): 8:51am On Jan 15, 2017
Sir Lovings,

What is the cost of living like over there? Do you experience any racism?
And, are there significant opportunities for civil engineers?

I'll appreciate your response.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by solomoncater: 6:59am On Jan 17, 2017
There are heaps of opportunities for civil engineers. Civil Engineers typically get a job almost after graduation.
Cost of living depends on you. go to this link to compare any city in the world https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Racism is everywhere just like we have tribalism in Nigeria. I have not experienced racism before.

latolak:
Sir Lovings,

What is the cost of living like over there? Do you experience any racism?
And, are there significant opportunities for civil engineers?

I'll appreciate your response.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by femijck(m): 12:00am On Jan 29, 2017
congratulations to u ...I also got my application approved and have been asked to go for medicals this week.....when are u planning to go.....and which airline u going with....im visiting my wife in auckland ......Naijakiwis here, I think I will need some clarification about transit visas im hearing about..do we need an australia transit visa to have a stop over there or any other countries?......thinking of South Africa Airline.

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by solomoncater: 11:35pm On Jan 29, 2017
You will need to apply for an Australian transit visa. This allows you stay in Aussie for a maximum of 72hrs.

femijck:
congratulations to u ...I also got my application approved and have been asked to go for medicals this week.....when are u planning to go.....and which airline u going with....im visiting my wife in auckland ......Naijakiwis here, I think I will need some clarification about transit visas im hearing about..do we need an australia transit visa to have a stop over there or any other countries?......thinking of South Africa Airline.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by femijck(m): 12:09am On Jan 30, 2017
solomoncater:
You will need to apply for an Australian transit visa. This allows you stay in Aussie for a maximum of 72hrs.

this is confusing .....so i need to get transit visa for south African and Aussie if im flying SA airway......which docs. is required for this pls?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by solomoncater: 5:52am On Jan 31, 2017
I am not sure about SA. I suggest you contact the airline for more details. They should provide you will all Info. You can check Aussie Immigration website for information on how to get a transit Visa. or just email them. They will respond within 48hrs

femijck:
this is confusing .....so i need to get transit visa for south African and Aussie if im flying SA airway......which docs. is required for this pls?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by femijck(m): 10:05pm On Jan 31, 2017
solomoncater:
I am not sure about SA. I suggest you contact the airline for more details. They should provide you will all Info. You can check Aussie Immigration website for information on how to get a transit Visa. or just email them. They will respond within 48hrs

thank u so much bro....I found this helpful
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by olajide21: 10:31am On Feb 04, 2017
Hello all. Do i need to do IELTS to show English language proficiency as a prerequisite for a PhD application? Nigeria seems one of the countries they granted exemption. Experienced persons should kindly advice.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by DarhmyBlaq(m): 4:46pm On Feb 06, 2017
solomoncater:

hi everyone, this is my first time coming across this thread. I'd very much like information on the following.
1) Am a B.Sc graduate of botany with second class lower, i have interest in pursue a Masters degree and PhD in Bio-technology or a Masters of Energy(a B.Sc science is part of the criteria). please what are my chances?
2) 15,000 NZD is not a small money as of nw its 3.5 mill in NGN, Is there scholarship i can root for that covers @least a good amount of that sum?
3) If my chances are good hw do i proceed?
please your reply is highly appreciated. thanks

My thanks to the initiator of this thread and every contributing member!!!!
smiley
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by solomoncater: 5:27am On Feb 08, 2017
There are a few scholarships on Energy related courses. I suggest you take some time to surf the internet to see what you can come come up with. Nobody can guarantee you a scholarship, you only have to apply and see what happens.

DarhmyBlaq:

hi everyone, this is my first time coming across this thread. I'd very much like information on the following.
1) Am a B.Sc graduate of botany with second class lower, i have interest in pursue a Masters degree and PhD in Bio-technology or a Masters of Energy(a B.Sc science is part of the criteria). please what are my chances?
2) 15,000 NZD is not a small money as of nw its 3.5 mill in NGN, Is there scholarship i can root for that covers @least a good amount of that sum?

smiley

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by solomoncater: 5:29am On Feb 08, 2017
From experience you don't need to take IELTS. However, they keep changing the visa rules. Once you have an unconditional offer letter, you don't need to write IELTS exams.

olajide21:
Hello all. Do i need to do IELTS to show English language proficiency as a prerequisite for a PhD application? Nigeria seems one of the countries they granted exemption. Experienced persons should kindly advice.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Maduh(m): 3:18pm On Feb 08, 2017
@ Solomoncater, I forwarded an email to you.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by solomoncater: 3:29am On Feb 09, 2017
Can you be more specific? I usually get heaps of emails. Sorry about that.
Maduh:
@ Solomoncater, I forwarded an email to you.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Maduh(m): 10:40am On Feb 09, 2017
I want to contact a Civil Engineering professor at university of Auckland for Phd program. Is there any information you can provide as regards to this? Maybe the best way to approach a professor. Thanks.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by solomoncater: 5:36am On Feb 10, 2017
What area of research are you interested in (Steel, Concrete, Timber or composite) in fire or earthquake or just static? I can help you as I am studying Civil Engineering too.

Maduh:
I want to contact a Civil Engineering professor at university of Auckland for Phd program. Is there any information you can provide as regards to this? Maybe the best way to approach a professor. Thanks.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Zonacom(m): 12:21pm On Feb 11, 2017
DarhmyBlaq:

smiley
I'm a graduate of Microbiology and would really love to do my masters in biotechnology too. Like you i'm worried about the costs. But in case one is able to raise the money i'm interested in knowing my chances as regards how lucrative Biotechnology is in New zealand. Also can one study abroad with a NECO result? Thanks guys
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Maduh(m): 12:39pm On Feb 13, 2017
Recently, I posted twice here but they were removed. Please what could be the reason?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by seyo99: 9:55am On Feb 18, 2017
Please house is it possible to get stay in New Zealand after a year program ?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by weldonextreme: 3:20pm On Feb 19, 2017
@dammywu
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by seyo99: 7:02pm On Feb 20, 2017
Please can anyone answer this because for countries like Canada and Australia it's advisable to take a 2 year program. Would be glad if anyone could help with some informations.
seyo99:
Please house is it possible to get stay in New Zealand after a year program ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (51) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada-part2 / On Vacation: New York City / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.