Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,093 members, 7,852,696 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:57 AM

General New Zealand Student Enquires - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General New Zealand Student Enquires (212538 Views)

New Zealand Student Visa / Australia Or New Zealand Student Visa! / New Zealand Student Visa: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by louis44rhema: 7:08pm On Jul 15, 2017
I applied for a PhD directly. Firstly you need to check out the school web page and I know their requirements. For, university of Canterbury you need a supervisor first before you proceed for application because he/she must be part of the reviewer of your application process. What I did in mine was I checked for a supervisor that have the interest of research so I sent her a mail (email). It wasn't easy but check their recent publications and know what they have don't in terms of research innovation. Them suggest it and they might like it. So she/he might ask for your proposal which comprises of suggested title, Brief background, aim/objectives, material and methodology and reference.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by chaiks: 7:57am On Jul 16, 2017
louis44rhema:
I applied for a PhD directly. Firstly you need to check out the school web page and I know their requirements. For, university of Canterbury you need a supervisor first before you proceed for application because he/she must be part of the reviewer of your application process. What I did in mine was I checked for a supervisor that have the interest of research so I sent her a mail (email). It wasn't easy but check their recent publications and know what they have don't in terms of research innovation. Them suggest it and they might like it. So she/he might ask for your proposal which comprises of suggested title, Brief background, aim/objectives, material and methodology and reference.
OK.thanks.I have seen d profile of profs and their specialization in university of otago.am gradually coming up with a proposal because I want it to be ready bf mailing them.now please did you do the ielts?what's your course and cgpa if you don't mind?did you pay application fee and like how much if?am looking towards uni Canterbury, uni otago and uni Auckland.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by louis44rhema: 4:03pm On Jul 16, 2017
You don't need any English proficiency test if your language of instruction in your previous studies was English language. If you are going for Phd you need good cgpa mine was 4.15/5.00 in my MSc. in Nigeria. I applied for a phD in Science and research area is similar to what I did at my MSc. here in Nigeria. Please try and spend time to study the admission requirements it's unique to schools and department. The same cgpa that was accepted at UC was refused by Uni. Auckland and Massey University. I wish you the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by chaiks: 8:33pm On Jul 16, 2017
louis44rhema:
You don't need any English proficiency test if your language of instruction in your previous studies was English language. If you are going for Phd you need good cgpa mine was 4.15/5.00 in my MSc. in Nigeria. I applied for a phD in Science and research area is similar to what I did at my MSc. here in Nigeria. Please try and spend time to study the admission requirements it's unique to schools and department. The same cgpa that was accepted at UC was refused by Uni. Auckland and Massey University. I wish you the best.
OK.tanks.but please I want to know the possibility of applying for direct PhD from bachelors.am cleared about d English test since Nigeria is an English speaking country. besides,I v gotten a letter of English proficiency proof from my school here and a transcript of 4.49cgpa.do I stand a chance if I apply for PhD or should I apply for masters first instead of PhD.I am asking because I heard its done in USA but I don't have all d requirements for Yankee now.

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by distinguished1(m): 5:48am On Jul 17, 2017
Good morning, NZ just sent in their love letter on a Monday morning.
Not happy; moving on; better days ahead.
Good luck to the successful applicants.

2 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by daudakarimou4: 8:42am On Jul 17, 2017
I

4 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by louis44rhema: 4:54pm On Jul 17, 2017
PhD research is an independent research and in NZ universities u need a very good MSc. and a research experience. However, my advice for you is to also consider Australian universities I am expecting some admission letters from some schools there. You can apply for MRes i.e. Master by research with your CGPA and if you have at least One international journal you will be qualified for a full scholarship. I Wish you the best.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by PNZD: 8:17pm On Jul 17, 2017
Hi, abeg how you dey take cope for this Auckland? Food price and even rent high pass London sef wey their things dey cost (most food). Any scopes on how to survive like maybe open market and some cheaper place to buy foodstuff. I fit manage the rent.

solomoncater:
Yes I can help. What do you need?

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by PNZD: 8:18pm On Jul 17, 2017
solomoncater:
Yes I can help. What do you need?

Hi, abeg how you dey take cope for this Auckland? Food price and even rent high pass London sef wey their things dey cost (most food). Any scopes on how to survive like maybe open market and some cheaper place to buy foodstuff. I fit manage the rent.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Sirwise87: 11:56pm On Jul 17, 2017
daudakarimou4:
I also received two emails from them this morning @7am Turkish time. They basically say I have successfully made it through the online psychometric testing stage and the next stage is an assessment of the answers I wrote on the application form...Only God knows when this is going to end or even reach the interview stage. All the same as we concentrate on other things at the moment, let's see what happens. Thankz very much guys and let's always try to help each other with what ever infos we get...Best wishes to us all

Congratulations Dauda for successfully going through the next stage.You shall sail through the next stage by His grace. May Allah grant you the best of knowledge in answering the interview questions.
Kindly brief us about the way you answered the psychometric test. Did you answer it in 12 minutes ? And did you answer it the same day you received the test questions? How did you prepare before you took the test?please give us tips to help us answer it well next year.Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by kallsy: 2:06pm On Jul 18, 2017
Thanks to all. I also received a successful message from New Zealand foreign and affairs & Mfat.

My Question are:
1. How will I get addimission without my transcript? Or should I starts processing for addimission on my own?

2. Any idea on interview scoring method?
3. Can I Change University or Institution but the same course?
4. Can I change programme from PGD to Masters?

@Solo, others your assistance is needed.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Tigernew: 5:12am On Jul 19, 2017
I think now this is the next stage which is about assessment of the answers in our application.
How long this process will take ? As they have not mentioned anything about that in the selection process timeline
Good luck all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by kallsy: 11:41am On Jul 19, 2017
[i][/i]
Tigernew:
I think now this is the next stage which is about assessment of the answers in our application.
How long this process will take ? As they have not mentioned anything about that in the selection process timeline
Good luck all
Yes, it could be a means of disqualify some to reduce the number or replacement of Interview.

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by bigheadday: 10:14pm On Jul 19, 2017
PNZD:
Good news people.
My visa application was approved and I'll be in Auckland in next month.
The only hitch now is accommodation. Any ideas?!

I'm currently trying to arrange a temporary accommodation with the Uni but was given backpackers as an option. Any idea of a backpackers that has a minimum of one per room cos I can can't seem to find it. Pls help.

@ PNZD! Pls what r the documents you submitted to the embassy as I intend starting my application with their embassy in Pretoria. Your input will help a lot. Thanks
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by bigheadday: 10:31pm On Jul 19, 2017
cconcept:
courtesy of @Sirlovings

"Sirlovings:

In my case, I am married to a kiwi. I have two lovely kids. If you plan to come on a student visa, it will be better for you because it is more straight forward. Since you have got admission from a school here, I will advise you to continue with the student visa but plan it very well. Don't be desperate to move so you won't make mistakes. PLEASE DO NOT USE AN AGENT, you can do everything by yourself.

Have you got your offer of place, or confirmation of enrollment from the school? if yes then start sorting the following things out:

1. Your International passport.

2. Evidence of Fund - You must have enough fund for each years of the duration of your study. It is usually a minimum of 15000 NZD. So if you are looking at getting a one year visa, you must have at least equivalent of 15000 nz dollars in your account or in your sponsor's account.
Having this money will show that you are able to take care of yourself while studying in New Zealand.
Note that it is better to pay a full year school fee for your first year, this will help convince them that you are a genuine student.

3. Offer of place or confirmation of enrollment - since you got your admission, I believe you are already sorting it out with the school. I also believe that you chose a good course which would help you stay in nz by apply for Skilled Migrant work visa and then Residency if you plan to go that way or you could use the family category..
It is always better to study a course that are in Long term skilled migrant shortage list. This will be handy when you are applying for your residence visa. Remember that New Zealand visa is based on point system and you have to meet the 160 points. See link: http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/long-term-skill-shortage-list.pdf

4. Health - You will need to do your medicals as a proof that you are in good health. You will need chest X-ray as well. Since you live in Nigeria, they might require you to do full medicals. I think it will cost you around 50-60 thousand naira. See link: http://onlineservices.immigration.govt.nz/templates/Content/ListsPopup.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7bD7D1DC3B-F70D-4BED-9E3A-DB535805EF16%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fmigrant%2fstream%2fwork%2fskilledmigrant%2fLinkAdministration%2fToolboxLinks%2fpaneldoctors%2ehtm%3flevel%3d1%26_ga%3d1%2e66193198%2e1049625819%2e1483730207&NRCACHEHINT=Guest&_ga=1.66193198.1049625819.1483730207&level=1

5. Character: Immigration New Zealand will like to make sure that you are of good character with no criminal records. They don't joke with crime here. If you live in Nigeria, you will need a Police clearance from Nigeria. If you have lived in another country for more than a Year in the last 7 years, you will need a police clearance from that country. I think you can get your Nigerian police clearance for like 10k or less from:
Central Criminal Registry Force C.I.D. Annex
Alagbon Close Ikoyi
Lagos, Nigeria.

6. Medical/Travel Insurance - you will need health insurance except if you are coming here to study for PhD. Free or subsidized Medical care is only for New Zealand citizens and Resident visa holders

7. - Letter to Immigration New Zealand, explaining why you choose to study in New Zealand and your intention to return home after your studies (even if that's won't be the case) You will need to show them that you are a genuine student and that your intention is to study and return home with your knowledge. This is the tricky part and this is where you will need to convince them that you have enough fund to see you through while studying. And that you are not an Economic migrant who is just looking for a way to leave his country.
If Immigration New Zealand think or suspect that you are not a genuine student, the case officer might just decline your visa.
So you need to be careful and make sure you have chosen the right course, atleast a course that is needed in nz like; Engineering courses, Nursing, Medicine, surveying, Health care course etc..

Once you have put your supporting documents together, go to Immigration New Zealand Website and download or fill your form online (3-4 different forms). You can apply online or you can send them to the VAC office in Pretoria, South Africa. They will receive your application and visa fee and then send it to INZ office in New Zealand Embassy.

Note that you can work for 20 hours while the school is on and for unlimited hours during school holidays.

Please do not use fake documents because it will result to a ban. You might not even be aware of your ban. They will only say things like " you intend to deceive Immigration New Zealand and that you are not a genuine applicant. A ban from INZ means you cannot get Australian visa too. it might even affect your UK visa if you apply in any of those countries as they share Immigration information. So DO NOT USE AN AGENT.
Read about other people's cases in online forums and do it yourself.

This will be part of your first step to getting into New Zealand. For your proper work visa and residency, it will be another story when you get here.

Do note if you commit any crimes while in New Zealand and you get convicted for more than 3 months you will get deported. New Zealand is very strict with their laws."

@ cconcept! I just got admitted to study graduate diploma in accountancy. is there chance of securing job/PR after my studies? Also is the medical and police report a must document to submit to the Pretoria embassy before visa can be granted? pls help a brother I can see u have sound knowledge about NZ. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by PNZD: 1:35am On Jul 22, 2017
Yes especially if you haven't applied to them before or within 36months or so. It's stated clearly on the form

bigheadday:

@ cconcept! I just got admitted to study graduate diploma in accountancy. is there chance of securing job/PR after my studies? Also is the medical and police report a must document to submit to the Pretoria embassy before visa can be granted? pls help a brother I can see u have sound knowledge about NZ. Thanks
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by thebest1210(m): 11:27am On Jul 22, 2017
Pls house, i got admission to study in NZ. I have applied for the student visa (3yrs), but my passport will expire oct, 2018. All other documents are intact. Will i be granted a visa?
Thanks
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by kallsy: 6:42pm On Jul 26, 2017
Anybody with the assessor's test result? After psychometric text successful result.....no response since that time.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Tigernew: 3:57pm On Jul 27, 2017
kallsy:
Anybody with the assessor's test result? After psychometric text successful result.....no response since that time.
I haven't received any updates since the test results...hope will get the results of the assessment of applications soon
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Dalmakz: 5:37pm On Jul 28, 2017
kallsy:

No response for now
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Tigernew: 4:31am On Jul 31, 2017
Dalmakz:

No response for now

when do we expect to get response? is it going to take a month or more?
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by femijck(m): 1:14am On Aug 01, 2017
PNZD:

Too expensive city ....
Everything is overpriced....I've been here for about 3 months now on a partnership visa......price of things is enough to discourage anybody from staying here for so long.... imagine paying 3.5$ for a small coke u buy for 120# in naija traffic....just so annoying...
Even when Americans pay 99cent for a 2litre bottle of same coke.....I know Aussie is even far cheaper...bills na wahala...

@solomoncaster and co...give us d logic apart from Pak 'n' save which seems to be fd cheapest grocery store...LOL.....
Im also married to a kiwi....got married in naija tho.....If u looking forward to coming to NZ.......make sure u do ur home work and know where u coming to....but it's a beautiful country sha.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by Dalmakz: 8:07am On Aug 01, 2017
Tigernew:

when do we expect to get response? is it going to take a month or more?

I wouldn't know
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by bigheadday: 2:51pm On Aug 01, 2017
femijck:
Too expensive city ....
Everything is overpriced....I've been here for about 3 months now on a partnership visa......price of things is enough to discourage anybody from staying here for so long.... imagine paying 3.5$ for a small coke u buy for 120# in naija traffic....just so annoying...
Even when Americans pay 99cent for a 2litre bottle of same coke.....I know Aussie is even far cheaper...bills na wahala...

@solomoncaster and co...give us d logic apart from Pak 'n' save which seems to be fd cheapest grocery store...LOL.....
Im also married to a kiwi....got married in naija tho.....If u looking forward to coming to NZ.......make sure u do ur home work and know where u coming to....but it's a beautiful country sha.

@ Femijck... Pls how easy is it to getting PR after studying there in NZ. Though my course is not in the shortage skills (Graduate Diploma in Accounting ) Pls help if u have info. Thanks
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by femijck(m): 8:38pm On Aug 01, 2017
Sorry I don't know much about student visa...but I know u can get a kind of post study visa .....and things are changing now...they might bring out another policy after d election in October...
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by chaiks: 8:58pm On Aug 01, 2017
louis44rhema:
PhD research is an independent research and in NZ universities u need a very good MSc. and a research experience. However, my advice for you is to also consider Australian universities I am expecting some admission letters from some schools there. You can apply for MRes i.e. Master by research with your CGPA and if you have at least One international journal you will be qualified for a full scholarship. I Wish you the best.
thank you.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by chaiks: 8:58pm On Aug 01, 2017
louis44rhema:
thank you well.
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by diego2015(m): 10:28pm On Aug 02, 2017
PlS guys I'm new here, I want to apply for schools in new Zealand after Australia visa refusal twice. I want to know if it's possible for someone with Bsc. Economics to get admission to study Msc. In soocial work.

1 Like

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by PNZD: 9:25pm On Aug 05, 2017
@femijck

I'll check out Pak 'n' save, been seeing their commercials. The city is beautiful and with lovely scenery just that for an average Nigerian, e cost. But we are survivors.

I pray all of you applying for the scholarship are successful. Twill take away the financial burden.

@solomoncarter, you have more experience wrt adapting so tips from you will be appreciated

femijck:
Too expensive city ....

Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by femijck(m): 11:14am On Aug 06, 2017
@PNZD
Cheers man....we can hook up someday when d sky is clear enough....Im in West Auckland..enjoy new Zealand
Re: General New Zealand Student Enquires by liliberth: 12:42pm On Aug 07, 2017
Hello house,
Please what are the chances of getting a study visa from New Zealand after a rejection from Australia for study too but on the basis of not enough money.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (51) (Reply)

On Vacation: New York City / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.