Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,844 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? (19557 Views)

Going For Masters Abroad!! Which Country Is Easy & Less Expensive? / Top Ten List Of Countries For Masters Degree / Which Of The Uk Universities Is The Cheapest For Masters Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by chelseaguy: 4:53pm On Sep 02, 2013
Since you are in the IT field I will advice you go. If you are as sound as your work experience then U.S is the place for you. True IT professionals are always wanted in U.S.

Never settle for less when you know your worth.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Appliedmaths(m): 4:53pm On Sep 02, 2013
@OP, carefully carry out your analysis weigh the pros and cons before taking any decision. Make sure everything is in place before you quit your current job "I MEAN EVERYTHING" so you don't end up losing @ both ends.

Take a detailed survey on how the US treat it's applicants.

Where is the cash coming from?

How many years is the programme?

Calculate your maintenance and sustenance before you conclude.

NB: Do not quit your current job until everything is in order, and I'm sure they'll even want to sign a contract with you when you return.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Bizibi(m): 4:54pm On Sep 02, 2013
Just go to canada because the opportunities re dere after u finish ur course but u.s is dicey
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 02, 2013
UNIXLover: Hello Guys...Ok,I currently work for an IT consulting firm as an Application Development/Support.I have a total of 3 years working experience in IT and some Certifications.Now,I have always wanted to do my Masters in the Us and i have been taking some steps as regards that in the last few months.I will be writing the GRE exams in few weeks.would you guys advise i quit this Job for Msc? what are the chances of getting a job in the Us? I currently earn more than 200k In Nigeria.But anything that makes me forfeit this Msc Plans now means i will be focusing on Marriage plans Next(But i really wish i have my Msc in the Us ).

Will it be a worthwhile Move?
I am currently Looking at Msc In Information Systems/Technology.
Also,If i will be getting funding from schools(Or GA)will you guys still advise i Move?

Contributions are highly appreciated.

If you have a scholarship (with stipend )that will pay for the masters degree,see if your job can grant you an unpaid leave of absence ,then you should go
Forget the marriage thing in Naija if you haven't become entangled yet , move to the USA and find an available girl with papers,there are plenty.

If you won't get any funding,I advise you stay put at your job in Nigeria

About prospects of a job here
I will be candid with you.
It will take you at least 5 years on the average from the moment you step in here to get to the status you left in Nigeria,if you are lucky.

If you don't mind drinking garri for a while ,then come along
It can be tough but people have done it
If you are thinking of moving here,the best time is before getting married

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by WhyAWhy(m): 4:55pm On Sep 02, 2013
P.Stacks:
Knowledge is power ooo! Grab the Masters with both hands, more so in America, Gods own country! The IT firm you work for here won't really know your value like when you are in Silicon valley, I don't think you should be asking this uestion in the first place.

Abeg forget that thing joor. If he's that good for silicon valley, he won't need a masters before he is known beyond the shores of nigeria. The guys that are employed by google through the code jam never even finish university.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by 2ndChance: 4:56pm On Sep 02, 2013
My advise is that you please go for the MSc programme.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by samintegrity(m): 4:58pm On Sep 02, 2013
Do you guys know that this is one of the reasons we are not that developed technologically? When our resources migrate to other countries in search of an advanced or improved educational standard. Thus lead to an improvement in the development of the destination region. And the impact is felt on daily basis in Nigeria as more and more of our valuable resource flown abroad.

My friend i believe there is such a legal way of doing this without having to lose both your job and the Msc.

This is one of the issues discussed in my subsequent lecture on Migration, and lucky enough i was given as an assignment to write on the bane of migration to the development of Nigeria, one of which i had explained.

Furthermore instead of this why don't you sign an agreement with the firm to study you abroad for the Msc, then in return you work for a period of time with the firm after the Msc, this will help both you and the firm, thus you can impact or introduce new ideas, new age ict into the work, after which you can now decide to leave,

I was taught this recently in one of my courses Land Law.

Just my advice ooo...

Thanks and Good luck.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by victorv12(m): 4:59pm On Sep 02, 2013
Dude, flee! Don't let the work you're doing in Nigeria kill your ambition to expand in your profession or discipline. The environment you're going to, you've a lot to gain and learn.

Really, what do you do after the day job in Nigeria than to watch premiership, chop pepper soup and drink beer! Nigeria always have it ways of delaying someone's dream. The earlier you've your Msc certificate the better! Time waits for no one!

6 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Sunnybobo3(m): 4:59pm On Sep 02, 2013
My candid advice to you is this; stick to your job until you are qualified for a study leave. Take the study leave and go for the masters. If after the masters, a better opportunity pops up, grab it andif not, quickly rush back to your job and then apply for better openings.

That's the best you can do. Anybody advising you to quit your job with no guarantee of coming back to the same position is not advising you well.

I did my masters here in the UK and I have some classmates who resigned from good paying jobs to come here for their masters. Some are back in Nigeria searching for non existent jobs while some are here doing menial jobs.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by samintegrity(m): 5:00pm On Sep 02, 2013
Do you guys know that this is one of the reasons we are not that developed technologically? When our resources migrate to other countries in search of an advanced or improved educational standard. Thus lead to an improvement in the development of the destination region. And the impact is felt on daily basis in Nigeria as more and more of our valuable resource flown abroad.

My friend i believe there is such a legal way of doing this without having to lose both your job and the Msc.

This is one of the issues discussed in my subsequent lecture on Migration, and lucky enough i was given as an assignment to write on the bane of migration to the development of Nigeria, one of which i had explained.

Furthermore instead of this why don't you sign an agreement with the firm to study you abroad for the Msc, then in return you work for a period of time with the firm after the Msc, this will help both you and the firm, thus you can impact or introduce new ideas, new age ict into the work, after which you can now decide to leave,

I was taught this recently in one of my courses Land Law.

Just my advice ooo...

Thanks and Good luck.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by theripper3: 5:01pm On Sep 02, 2013
If u aint getting full funding plus stipends, forget it. That means u should be aiming at 315+ in ur GRE. Moreover, those indians including the wizkids amongst dem have oversaturated Information systems/ technology which means u have to be stand-out amongst ur outstanding peers. Everything is doable if u put ur mind into it and not forgetting the God factor.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Sunnybobo3(m): 5:02pm On Sep 02, 2013
Meanwhile, while taking advice from Nairaland, remember that Nairaland is mostly populated by 21 - 30 year olds who haven't got much experience to offer the kind if advice you are seeking here.

7 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by victorD3: 5:03pm On Sep 02, 2013
You can go for your Masters but don't ever dream of coming back or you will end up regreting.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by olumolar55(m): 5:05pm On Sep 02, 2013
Hello Guys...Ok,I currently work for an IT consulting firm as an Application Development/Support.I have a total of 3 years working experience in IT and some Certifications.Now,I have always wanted to do my Masters in the Us and i have been taking some steps as regards that in the last few months.I will be writing the GRE exams in few weeks.would you guys advise i quit this Job for Msc? what are the chances of getting a job in the Us? I currently earn more than 200k In Nigeria.But anything that makes me forfeit this Msc Plans now means i will be focusing on Marriage plans Next(But i really wish i have my Msc in the Us ).

Also,If i will be getting funding from schools(Or GA)will you guys still advise i Move?

Hmnnnn.. I will strongly advice you to think very well. Did you have enough funds (Fees and Upkeep ) to sustain you should in case you don't get part-time job on time? Quitting your job to study in US is good but I will strongly advise you to search more into US immigration requirements most especially after your studies. Will you get a permanent work permit?.
As you said you have 3 years Working experience with Certification, I believe you are in a good position to establish yourself in Nigerian IT market. Couple of extra Certifications in your field and in other area of IT will make you more competitive and marketable in Nigeria rather than leaving certainty for uncertainty.

The choice is yours.

I write this in all honesty as a Nigerian in Diaspora, with 18yrs experience in high level IT field (Networking & Security) in UK.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 02, 2013
Sunny_bobo: My candid advice to you is this; stick to your job until you are qualified for a study leave. Take the study leave and go for the masters. If after the masters, a better opportunity pops up, grab it andif not, quickly rush back to your job and then apply for better openings.

That's the best you can do. Anybody advising you to quit your job with no guarantee of coming back to the same position is not advising you well.

I did my masters here in the UK and I have some classmates who resigned from good paying jobs to come here for their masters. Some are back in Nigeria searching for non existent jobs while some are here doing menial jobs.

Thank you
There are former company execs and well placed people in Naija that quit their well paying jobs to do masters in Obodo oyibo with dreams of making it big and not doing their home work well
The money ran out,they are stuck doing menial jobs and too ashamed to go back home
Some don run mad sef from frustration meanwhile someone else is servicing the iyawo they left at home

4 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by jinxet2000: 5:06pm On Sep 02, 2013
it depends what course you are going to study in US. If it is IT related, I bet you theree are a lot of opportunities in the US fopr you with you basic degree and with your MSc, come on you are up there. IT techs are on of the highly paid guys in the US. I will advise you take the admission. The worse scenario is that you dont get job after that. If this is the case, plan for the worst scenario. Grab a technology you can develop and make money. The truth is that a US graduate is taught to create work and not to look for work.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by SlyIg(f): 5:07pm On Sep 02, 2013
Op, after the masters, where you go come work again for Naija?
Many people with masters and even Phd are roaming the street seeking for job and here you are leaving your job for masters.

Anyway, if the firm that you're working for is sending you on masters or a Course, proceed and come back and continue working for them, but if not... do not.
Thats my little advice for you sha.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 02, 2013
chelseaguy: Since you are in the IT field I will advice you go. If you are as sound as your work experience then U.S is the place for you. True IT professionals are always wanted in U.S.

Never settle for less when you know your worth.

Actually it's the reverse. Outsourcing has changed a lot in the I.T industry. If the OP was jobless and had funding for the m.sc, I would have said yes go for it. Since the OP has a job that pays well, the risk isn't worth it. You may end up getting a mouthwatering offer after graduating but there is no guarantee.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by dinggle: 5:12pm On Sep 02, 2013
My advise for you is a NO, NO!....it is not as easy as you think, and if you think there will be a job for you in U.S think again! do your masters in Nigeria while working. The old saying a bird in hand is worth 1000 in the bush isn't a lie. I know of a banker who left Nigeria and now sleeping in the church in America and working illegally with someone else papers as a caregiver a far cry from the lucrative IT job with a bank he had in Nigeria. He is even one of the lucky few.
In case you don't know caregiver is the fanciful name for someone cleaning poo from the ass of 80yr or people with disabilities. Because they are disabled you should expect periodical slaps and blows from them and it is illegal for you to respond.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Sep 02, 2013
jinxet2000: it depends what course you are going to study in US. If it is IT related, I bet you theree are a lot of opportunities in the US fopr you with you basic degree and with your MSc, come on you are up there. IT techs are on of the highly paid guys in the US. I will advise you take the admission. The worse scenario is that you dont get job after that. If this is the case, plan for the worst scenario. Grab a technology you can develop and make money. The truth is that a US graduate is taught to create work and not to look for work.

Where are you guys getting all these stats. In this same U.S. Abeg OP, don't be mislead oo. Like I've told you, if your degree is not in engineering, specifically chemical,mechanical, and petroleum, this is not the best time to enter the US job market. You are in an industry that is very volatile at the moment. YOU HAVE A JOB. HOLD ON TO IT.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by sben2308(m): 5:13pm On Sep 02, 2013
My dear broda abeg dont take dat step cuz there are lot of pple in this country wit M.sc for us,uk,canada nd among others nd still jobless.Cuz u studyin abroad in Nigeria today doesnt guarantee u a job any more cuz d jobz r not even available.So pls think twice before u leap ...All u need na connection oooo nd prayerzzzzzz
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by owolabifunke14(f): 5:15pm On Sep 02, 2013
babyosisi:

If you have a scholarship (with stipend )that will pay for the masters degree,see if your job can grant you an unpaid leave of absence ,then you should go
Forget the marriage thing in Naija if you haven't become entangled yet , move to the USA and find an available girl with papers,there are plenty.

If you won't get any funding,I advise you stay put at your job in Nigeria

About prospects of a job here
I will be candid with you.
It will take you at least 5 years on the average from the moment you step in here to get to the status you left in Nigeria,if you are lucky.

If you don't mind drinking garri for a while ,then come along
It can be tough but people have done it
If you are thinking of moving here,the best time is before getting married
"Forget the marriage thing in Naija if you haven't become entangled yet , move to the USA and find an available girl with papers,there are plenty" Enemy of progress. So he should leave us in naija because of those of you with american papers? Ti oo ba je oogun ni oti si. @ op pls do your Msc in Unilag. school na school.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Judas2013: 5:17pm On Sep 02, 2013
UNIXLover: Hello Guys...Ok,I currently work for an IT consulting firm as an Application Development/Support.I have a total of 3 years working experience in IT and some Certifications.Now,I have always wanted to do my Masters in the Us and i have been taking some steps as regards that in the last few months.I will be writing the GRE exams in few weeks.would you guys advise i quit this Job for Msc? what are the chances of getting a job in the Us? I currently earn more than 200k In Nigeria.But anything that makes me forfeit this Msc Plans now means i will be focusing on Marriage plans Next(But i really wish i have my Msc in the Us ).

Don't do it!!! the grass in never greener elsewhere as you think. stay and keep your Job. You will struggle to get a green-card btw
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by kaykad: 5:22pm On Sep 02, 2013
@2good

do you knw any deolu otunbushin in ijebu ode[size=18pt] @2good
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by chei: 5:23pm On Sep 02, 2013
If you earn more than 200k a month, that's about 2.5 million every year. You should be lucky.
You don't need any M.sc at this time.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Chicagolomo: 5:23pm On Sep 02, 2013
The experience you acquired in Nigeria will not be considered as experience. IT job in United States has been outsourced to other countries and a lot of laid off is going on in the field right now. I know a lot of close friend who have been affected with the laid off. My advice is for you to go ahead if you are sure of getting your job back in Nigeria. The job market in the USA is suffering a lot now. Don't take any action you will regret. Think about it, God will help you. Good luck in your decision.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by tunlex01(m): 5:29pm On Sep 02, 2013
Reading through all these comments, i ll advise you to go for an online masters if you dont want to have it in any nigerian universities. Having a US masters degree does not guarantee you a job. Like someone earlier said, a bird in hand is better than 1000 in the bush. Stick to your job bro.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by grandstar(m): 5:33pm On Sep 02, 2013
Go to canada instead. canada allows you to stay and work legally for 3years after finishing- and there are jobs galore! Australia too has a mba friendly program after graduating to foreign students. America is not too welcoming. Wish you the best.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Femicrux: 5:34pm On Sep 02, 2013
If you have a job that pays you over N200k a month, then you should probably think deeply before resigning. If you are so eager to have your Master's degree, why don't u study for it in Nigeria or enroll for online masters. You can study for a second master's degree in the US if you wish when the opportunity better presents itself.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by DrBaby(f): 5:35pm On Sep 02, 2013
Decisions like this r very delicate to make, its good to ask for advice bt u alone knw wat supportn structures u av n d inner drive/energy uv got which usu pushes ppl no matter aw hard d situation.
I had to make dis decision 2 yrs ago bt I was offered a scholarship by d schl that pays my schl fees, accomodation, stipend and also some bursary/grant for whatsoever I wanted to do to d tune of some thousands of ££ s. Luckily for me, while doin d masters I wrote al my licensing n certifying exams n passed, got registered n started lookin for a job.
When I finished my masters n ofcus scholarship funds ended too, God brot dis family my way..I do nt knw dem frm adam bt they r yorubas...I do nt even knw anybody dt knws dem...lol, bt dey took me in, gave me a room in der mansion, dey were responsible for my feeding, transport , shopping even fancy clothes n shoes, paid for all d exams n trainings I needed to do...and generally made me comfortable while I was lookn for a job
Even wen I got a job dey still paid for al ma initial expenses till I settled. Almost one yr down now...dey call me everyday to make sure am fine....and d whole family is visitn me in my new place in october to spend a weekend.
Morale; if God is in it...He wl make a way...I was alredi on my way here wen UK cancelled post-study visa...I tot it was d end of d world bt it only helped me achieve things quicker as I was on my feet thru out.
Secondly, if u av got d inner drive...it wl push u to do all u av to do such dt if der is only one job left in d US ...it wl be offered to u

Wish u all d best...altho I prob wld av ad a rethink wen UK cancelled der post-study if i was spendn my own money..

6 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by anonimi: 5:35pm On Sep 02, 2013
If you get the admission and CAN pay for the programme directly and/or with scholarship please go for it.
However, please note that you may not return to work & live in Nigeria and this may affect your marriage plans with THE PARTICULAR lady you have now.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tipper Truck Falls On Opebi-Oregun Bridge (Photos) / Keke-marwa: The Latest Menace To The Society / Things You Should Know As An Aspiring Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.