Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,723 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? (19556 Views)

Going For Masters Abroad!! Which Country Is Easy & Less Expensive? / Top Ten List Of Countries For Masters Degree / Which Of The Uk Universities Is The Cheapest For Masters Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by optimusprime2(m): 9:42pm On Sep 02, 2013
Will the US embassy give you Visa?
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by MMotimo: 10:26pm On Sep 02, 2013
@ OP

Only quit if you are fairly sure you can stay back legally and job prospects are good
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Kalvan: 10:45pm On Sep 02, 2013
Dude, just do it!

You're young, so you can take Risks.

Nothing Ventured, nothing gained.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Olaone1: 10:53pm On Sep 02, 2013
DO NOT EVEN TRY IT.

Please take my advice to your local bank.

People who have never seen MMA let alone the skies from a plane are here saying "go . .go".

US-based NLanders are saying "no . .no".

Who do you think is in the know? Well, up to you.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by uniquelyspecial(m): 11:25pm On Sep 02, 2013
Abeg go sharp sharp n give odas chance. At least u'll help reduce umemployment in nigeria by 1 person
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Kalvan: 11:38pm On Sep 02, 2013
1forall: My submission: Go to the US.

However, be honest and answer to yourself this: What is your motive for wanting to study in the US? Only you can answer that question.

If you see it as a prelude to emigration in the main, then plan for Canada where foreign student immigration is clearly encouraged by the government.

Anyway, whatever turns out, the major determinant of what happens is YOU. What do you really want to do? You ought to know what you really want for yourself to be able to make plans to achieve it.

That said; in my view, there 3 main possible outcomes if you go to the US. One is that you return to your current job with a MSc. If you handle the people aspect of your current job well enough before and after you go, maybe you'll get more responsibility, or a promotion, or a raise immediately you return; or if you're required to prove yourself, after a while. That's won't be too bad a result considering you would have gained the international exposure which I presume you want.

Another possible outcome is that you stay back in the US after your course and have to struggle to find your own footing in career and financial terms. You can persist till you eventually break through, or give up and return to create the first scenario under probably less favorable circumstances.

The third is that you get yourself a good job in good time and start a professional life in the US.

I'd like to believe you would be interested in giving professional life in the US a shot so would advise from that position. An easy mistake for a (foreigner) student to make is to not plan adequately for life after school. Don't fall into that category of foreign students.

Also, a potential challenge is your adaptability. Are you prepared to adjust to the different way of living? Will you react to the adjustment positively or negatively?

Another thing I ought to point out is the generic nature of the course you're proposing to study. It's one issues with many of these 'commercial' MSc courses. Yes it sounds good but it's a bit too broad to present you as absolutely necessary to an employer. If you want to take that chance with jobs, fine, but if not please look for something more specific that will equip you with in-demand skills. Software development is in growing demand (ignore the pessimists), big data is on the rise and cloud explosion is about to begin - you have options! Consider this very important.

However, underpinning all of these is your immigration status. Without the right to work, all the above about working in the US is USELESS. So, you have to give good thought to getting papers. The US is soon going to pass a new immigration law to favor immigrant professionals in Science, Technology Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) fields, thus you might be able to get work authorization under the STEM scheme. However you need to research the requirements so you know what to plan for, and you should start that as soon as possible. Marriage is also an option if that floats your boat.

There are quite a lot of variables as you can see, and charting a way forward should take you back to the first question which you should answer to yourself honestly:

What is your motive for wanting to study in the US?

Good luck!

This post is so on point.

Make sure you plan your next move before you graduate. I know a guy from Cameroon that ended up having a "hellish" experience as a result of Poor Planning.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by ohisola(f): 11:48pm On Sep 02, 2013
mascot87: My candid advice from the bottom of my heart is this :Leave the Job and go for your Master's degree program since you said it is in US.I am saying this because I will do exactly thesame if I am given the opportunity even if I earn #300k.
There is always a better place somewhere anytime,any day.
Cheers smiley

My dear u talk like this because u arnt there. Earn 200k only not even the 300k u claim, + benefits attached to the job, and c if u won't b more confused dan d op.

@ op. Wait do u have d admission yet? + if u get d admission do u have funding? If he ans 2 these questions are yes then u can tak ur chances. Life is a risk.
Neverthless don't 4get. Going abroad is NOT d ultimate. Y not seek God's consel and know his plans 4 ur life, he wil tel u if its d rite time or not.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Empiree: 11:54pm On Sep 02, 2013
l

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Kalvan: 12:04am On Sep 03, 2013
ohisola:

My dear u talk like this because u arnt there. Earn 200k only not even the 300k u claim, + benefits attached to the job, and c if u won't b more confused dan d op.

@ op. Wait do u have d admission yet? + if u get d admission do u have funding? If he ans 2 these questions are yes then u can tak ur chances. Life is a risk.
Neverthless don't 4get. Going abroad is NOT d ultimate. Y not seek God's consel and know his plans 4 ur life, he wil tel u if its d rite time or not.

True. Another Important aspect is funding.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Insanity(m): 12:08am On Sep 03, 2013
A-town:

Where are you guys getting all these stats. In this same U.S. Abeg OP, don't be mislead oo. Like I've told you, if your degree is not in engineering, specifically chemical,mechanical, and petroleum, this is not the best time to enter the US job market. You are in an industry that is very volatile at the moment. YOU HAVE A JOB. HOLD ON TO IT.

hey, i am a civil engineer working with a construction company in ph. I earn below 50k/mnth, with a year experience in my field. I want to start my Masters application to us schools, preferably,coastal n ocean engineering to specialize in subsea/pipeline eng. in texas (tamu)
I dont have the funds for the program, so am preparing for my GRE, hoping to get financial aid. I am not planning to come back after my program.
What's the job market for civil engineers in the petroleum industry like in the US.
Secondly, i have another option in going for offshore eng. @ TUdelft netherlands, but it still depends on the scholarship/financial aid available.
Is this a good move? considering the US job market for my field right now or should i just stay back and gain more experience without hope of salary increment in the near future.

Please i need ya candid advice.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 12:44am On Sep 03, 2013
Kalvan:

Dude, Shut-up! I live in the US and i'm also a Citizen. I'm 100% in support of him doing it, if he has a well laid out plan of what he's going to do once the Program is done.

You failed to note one thing. You are a US citizen. He isn't. The greatest regret most people who leave well paid jobs in Nigeria have is that "struggle stage". Some eventually make it and get back on their feet and end up earning 10x more. The majority DON't. You and I know the restrictions involved when you're a foreigner. H-1B visa aint easy to get no more. I have a friend who has been on un-employment for the past 6months. He's in the I.T field. He's a citizen as well so doesn't have to worry about anything except his unemployment checks expiring. On the other hand, if this guy comes over, finishes his course and doesn't get employment, he would have to leave or become illegal. I am not sure someone that is comfortable in Nigeria wants to do such.

No one is saying opportunities exist but this is an "opportunity cost" situation. If he had no job in Nigeria then he'd have nothing to lose.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 12:51am On Sep 03, 2013
Insanity:

hey, i am a civil engineer working with a construction company in ph. I earn below 50k/mnth, with a year experience in my field. I want to start my Masters application to us schools, preferably,coastal n ocean engineering to specialize in subsea/pipeline eng. in texas (tamu)
I dont have the funds for the program, so am preparing for my GRE, hoping to get financial aid. I am not planning to come back after my program.
What's the job market for civil engineers in the petroleum industry like in the US.
Secondly, i have another option in going for offshore eng. @ TUdelft netherlands, but it still depends on the scholarship/financial aid available.
Is this a good move? considering the US job market for my field right now or should i just stay back and gain more experience without hope of salary increment in the near future.

Please i need ya candid advice.

In your case, you really have nothing to lose. I don't see you regretting a 50k salary. Mind you, if you do not have a means of sustaining yourself, you will regret it. Do not expect to work to pay your fees oooo. If you do not get a full ride, you go suffer so check to make sure you get full assistance or you have enough money to pay your fees.
The oil industry is definitely a win-win situation. It's my industry so I'm better placed to advise you. College station (tamu)is definitely an excellent choice. The career fair attracts most if not all the oil majors.

Subsea engineering is actually hot now. We don't have enough people with specializations in it. The down side is obvious - it's restricted.
To cut my long story short, if your finances are sorted out, I would say go for it as you have nothing to lose

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Kalvan: 12:56am On Sep 03, 2013
A-town:

You failed to note one thing. You are a US citizen. He isn't. The greatest regret most people who leave well paid jobs in Nigeria have is that "struggle stage". Some eventually make it and get back on their feet and end up earning 10x more. The majority DON't. You and I know the restrictions involved when you're a foreigner. H-1B visa aint easy to get no more. I have a friend who has been on un-employment for the past 6months. He's in the I.T field. He's a citizen as well so doesn't have to worry about anything except his unemployment checks expiring. On the other hand, if this guy comes over, finishes his course and doesn't get employment, he would have to leave or become illegal. I am not sure someone that is comfortable in Nigeria wants to do such.

No one is saying opportunities exist but this is an "opportunity cost" situation. If he had no job in Nigeria then he'd have nothing to lose.

You have a Point. I know some companies are very reluctant to get H-1B Visas for their Employees because of all the Cost and Stress involved. The I.T field is not booming as much as it used to. Engineering on the other hand, especially Chemical, Petroleum, Mechanical and Electrical are in high Demand. Like 1forall said, it all depends on what the OP's end-goal is.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Kalvan: 1:02am On Sep 03, 2013
A-town:

Where are you guys getting all these stats. In this same U.S. Abeg OP, don't be mislead oo. Like I've told you, if your degree is not in engineering, specifically chemical,mechanical, and petroleum, this is not the best time to enter the US job market. You are in an industry that is very volatile at the moment. YOU HAVE A JOB. HOLD ON TO IT.

Very True. The Physical Sciences and the Engineering Majors are really in Demand right now.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 1:32am On Sep 03, 2013
Do you have a friend/friends/family/relatives, who have informations on what to expect when you get to the states?.

Are u willing to stick it out...when the time gets tough?...Not everyone with a student visa, gets lucky.

You should know you will not be able to work more than 20hours per week, and wouldn't be granted a Loan or even financial aid by the government, so you'd need a scholarship or some type of some type of sponsorship, inorder to get accepted into the program.

My advice....Do what most Nigerians are doing...Get your masters degree online...You could be a part-time or a full time student...Information Technology is a really good course, and is very sort after in the United States. Just make sure you are very careful and do not make a mistake by leaving all you have in Nigeria, unkess your sponsors are willing to help you financially with your personal needs.

GOOD LUCK!!.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by ozoemeka(m): 4:55am On Sep 03, 2013
200k? You better stick your a$$ in Nigeria unless you are coming here to an Ivy League. The angel you know is far better...trust me I live here, go to DC, NY etc. America on TV is NOT america in REAL LIFE. You are not ready to move from 200k to a trash collector (it happens, ASK AROUND) so you better stay put

UNIXLover: Hello Guys...Ok,I currently work for an IT consulting firm as an Application Development/Support.I have a total of 3 years working experience in IT and some Certifications.Now,I have always wanted to do my Masters in the Us and i have been taking some steps as regards that in the last few months.I will be writing the GRE exams in few weeks.would you guys advise i quit this Job for Msc? what are the chances of getting a job in the Us? I currently earn more than 200k In Nigeria.But anything that makes me forfeit this Msc Plans now means i will be focusing on Marriage plans Next(But i really wish i have my Msc in the Us ).

Will it be a worthwhile Move?
I am currently Looking at Msc In Information Systems/Technology.
Also,If i will be getting funding from schools(Or GA)will you guys still advise i Move?

Contributions are highly appreciated.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by PrinceGashon: 6:58am On Sep 03, 2013
Korrection: Leaving your country to another man's'land. Dat na End time tinz na.

ha! Na so oo! My guy. Having degree wit 200k salary in naija an stil looking for M.sc in US na end time tinz oo

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by 2old4that(m): 8:10am On Sep 03, 2013
Once another fellow takes that your job, he wouldnt want to do what u are about doing.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Insanity(m): 8:23am On Sep 03, 2013
A-town:

In your case, you really have nothing to lose. I don't see you regretting a 50k salary. Mind you, if you do not have a means of sustaining yourself, you will regret it. Do not expect to work to pay your fees oooo. If you do not get a full ride, you go suffer so check to make sure you get full assistance or you have enough money to pay your fees.
The oil industry is definitely a win-win situation. It's my industry so I'm better placed to advise you. College station (tamu)is definitely an excellent choice. The career fair attracts most if not all the oil majors.

Subsea engineering is actually hot now. We don't have enough people with specializations in it. The down side is obvious - it's restricted.
To cut my long story short, if your finances are sorted out, I would say go for it as you have nothing to lose

Thanks a lot. Now, i just need to research more on available financial aid, study hard for ma GRE n write a killer SoP.
Thanks, i appreciate.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by roselynbas(f): 8:23am On Sep 03, 2013
bobod: Online masters are a credible qualifications especially in the field where you are -IT .
A job that presently gives you 200k in Naija is much better than a job of 3k dollars or 2.5k pounds abroad -considering everything .
You can always go abroad , even you can get a job in the US or Europe based on the experience and skills that you presently possess .
Pls dont look down on what you have , keep your job , do online masters , keep your eyes open for jobs abroad (believe me they recruit from naija!)

The financial outlay of going abroad is just too much , unless you have the sponsor , many guys who dump their naija jobs , see themselves jobseeking and doing all sorts for 5-8 years after getting the so called dream Masters
Anyway best of luck !

do an on;line masters degree. Retain your job.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Marvin10(m): 8:54am On Sep 03, 2013
Does anyone hv an idea of hw much graduate students receive as monthly stipend in the US presently
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by mantote: 9:01am On Sep 03, 2013
My brother,i advise you to go ahead with your plans.Life is a risk and going abroad for a masters degree is worth it.But i will throw some questions to you.
1.Do you have enough pay to sustain you for at least 6 months after graduation?
2.Have you thought of using less than 2 million to get a masters from a good private university(inclusive tuition and cost of living) like convenant or reedemers and use the rest to set up a business or even fix it till the end of your masters degree programe in a bank.After your masters,you can proceed for your PHD in canada or USA.As a phd student,the opportunities are much more than that of Masters inclusive of scholarships).
3.While doing your masters in say convenant for less than 2m including living cost,the diffrence of say 3m or more saved from going to US oR canada,you can fix 2million in T-bills and risk doing a business like car importation from US or Canada with 1m.Within the duration of your masters,you may be lucky to use that 1m to import car thrice and make like 150k per importation.
Bros,on the other hand,if you have money that can make you live the kind of life you want to live at leat one year after your graduation in US,then pls go ahead with your dreams.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by seyenko(m): 9:12am On Sep 03, 2013
i took the same decision in 2004 to study MSc Info Tech in the UK and now i head the IT dept of a bank. However, there are risks most especially in this recessed period. But you shouldn't have much stress being in IT, there is always demand for you so take the step and you will feel fulfilled for life that you followed your dreams
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by visitor30(m): 9:28am On Sep 03, 2013
2ndChance: My advise is that you please go for the MSc programme.

I have a colleague with IT background who left his job with a salary of over 600k for a Masters degree in Subsea Engineering in the UK .He was a contract staff for years with one of the Oil multinationals with no terminal benefits. The program was just for 1 year. He is back to Nigeria now and has successfully switched career from IT to Subsea Engineering. He works with one of the leading Oil and Gas firms in Nigeria now and got the job before concluding the Masters programme.

Guy you are talking of Subsea Engineering, that is the biggest deal in the oil & gas industry right now. This guy is into IT and with a salary of something over 200k. Your guy with a salary of over 600k was far better off than him. If he is going to do a masters in Subsea with his IT experience and can afford the expenses, I will say resign the job and go, but that is not the case.

What I think he should do is look at his present company's policy and if he is qualified for study leave and he has enough found to finance the MSc Program then he can proceed, else he should stay put. While he target the highest certifications in his field of experience and get certified. He can travel for few weeks and go get those trainings abroad either in India or even in the US.

Like somebody said here, he could strike a deal with his company to either co-sponsor the training or take full sponsorship and in return work for them for a stated period of time before he can leave if he wants to.

So many people left their sweet paying jobs and traveled abroad for masters, at the end nothing and are so ashamed to return back, Yes some did get good jobs on their return also. But its a gamble and one needs to gamble wisely in this kind of situation.

But since he is currently earning well over 200k and with 3years of IT experience. He is sure not really doing badly. in the field of IT, what really count is your experience and certifications ( Standard internationally recognized ones ooh). My friends younger brother who read Geology is a big time IT guru in this country working with Computer Warehouse, while my friend who is a an Elect/Elect Engineer with a major in Communications is still struggling to break even. What was the difference experience working for an IT firm and certifications!
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by KehindeOmololu: 1:55pm On Sep 03, 2013
As a GUIDANCE and COUNSELLING student,I will suggest you pray to God for direction or you seek a reliable spiritual leader base on your believe......
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by debomb: 2:22pm On Sep 03, 2013
In life there's always risk to take for greater heights. Whatever reasons you have for studying abroad, take the plunge and get the experience of staying and studying abroad. Online won't give you the interpersonal skills, learning to work with people of a different background, broaden your horizon and views about life.
It is a course of a life-time. 2 or 1 and half years of your life to do what you heart tells you is not a bad thing. Venture out there, I tell you even if you come back home. You will never see things the same and that's all that matters.

You cannot plan for something that is too far ahead.. just ensure you create space for alternatives. If this happens what do i do? Live a simple life as a student and live withing your means while you are there. Make loads of friends and work hard. Months before your masters start putting in your application. If it works, you stay. If it doesn't marriage could be in the line or you hussle for anyother opportunity that come your way. If no way out, come home and try.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG IN TRYING, FAILURE CAN BE A GOOD THING. GIVE YOURSELF SOME YEARS TO FULFILL YOUR GOAL. if that don't work just dont waste your time and come home or try canada from there.

Pray tho for wisdom.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tipper Truck Falls On Opebi-Oregun Bridge (Photos) / Federal Govt Completes Dualisation Of 220km Keffi-Akwanga-Lafia-Makurdi Road / Keke-marwa: The Latest Menace To The Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.