Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? (19568 Views)

Going For Masters Abroad!! Which Country Is Easy & Less Expensive? / Top Ten List Of Countries For Masters Degree / Which Of The Uk Universities Is The Cheapest For Masters Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by ochallo: 5:38pm On Sep 02, 2013
After carefully studying this thread , i realized

1. Those in Nigeria are saying go
2. Those in the US,UK are saying stay/Be sure.

Truth is the op himself has not done anything to ensure that his decision is going to be a good one. He has not stated how the masters would affect his development and growth in the IT sector. He seems like he just wants to earn more and grow and feels abroad is the next thing.

Until you can say what exactly you intend to learn from the masters and how it is going to affect your life goals. You are not ready to take that leap. Like someone said here, life is not a gamble, don't gamble your life away.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by AjanleKoko: 5:39pm On Sep 02, 2013
A-town:

Actually it's the reverse. Outsourcing has changed a lot in the I.T industry. If the OP was jobless and had funding for the m.sc, I would have said yes go for it. Since the OP has a job that pays well, the risk isn't worth it. You may end up getting a mouthwatering offer after graduating but there is no guarantee.

It's not that it's impossible. But for IT, chances of getting a good job and staying back after your program are remote.
You now have Engineers and programmers coming over from India to implement projects in the US. What am I saying sef, a colleague at SAP regularly implements for clients in the US, and delivers onsite training to SAP clients over there. He's based right here in Lagos!

For IT, you can develop your competencies anywhere. You don't need to waste time and money on any foreign degree. Unless you are very gifted, and are looking to pursue the academic track (even that is tight nowadays) I am not so sure it's a good idea at this time.

7 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by TokyoBulls(m): 5:42pm On Sep 02, 2013
You need to think deeply and make a rational decision here. MSc from a top North American university is a dream for many Nigerians, but you don't live on dreams. My suggestion is that you go (looks like you have the means) ONLY after you have successfully got your currently company to give you an extended study leave without pay. That way, the worst that can happen to you is to return to the same job, but more fulfilled. If you resign and go, what happens if the job doesn't come at the right time?
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by chei: 5:45pm On Sep 02, 2013
Chicagolomo: The experience you acquired in Nigeria will not be considered as experience. IT job in United States has been outsourced to other countries and a lot of laid off is going on in the field right now. I know a lot of close friend who have been affected with the laid off. My advice is for you to go ahead if you are sure of getting your job back in Nigeria. The job market in the USA is suffering a lot now. Don't take any action you will regret. Think about it, God will help you. Good luck in your decision.

Exactly. The Indians, Viets and Chinese have taken over the IT industry in many developed countries. I don't think you'll have a chance even with your M. Sc. (That is if you intend to work over there)
Believe me also if I tell you that some of most sought after IT workers today(in the developed countries) don't have an M. Sc.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by PBundles(m): 5:47pm On Sep 02, 2013
Maybe Im missing something, but dont you need working papers to work in the US even after getting your Masters.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Criticalobs: 5:49pm On Sep 02, 2013
Great idea but I would advise that you take a masters in Nigeria while you work and grow your savings before leaving to the US. Nigeria is still in dire need of IT competence but the US labour market in IT is not deficient in cognate labour. You may also consider correspondence, where you can also work, keep family and study.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by InvertedHammer: 5:54pm On Sep 02, 2013
Getting a job in US depends on the kind of visa you have.

Getting IT job is not easy especially as a lot of companies require security clearance which by your visa status you may not have.

However, if you have the balls/finance, give it at least 4-5yrs to be fully integrated into the US job market. Can you handle that?

Breaking into IT in US may be challenging b/c the Indians and Asians are the ones who run the show. And they tend to employ their likes, that is subtle nepotism. But hey! the world is never fair. But if you really want to live in US, you can make the move. When you get here,you can become a nurse. You starting with wiping old peoples' a?ss, then progress to giving medications and finally to being a real nurse.

I hope you do your research well. When everything else fails, you can do the same program online when offered by reputable institutions.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by klovesh: 6:02pm On Sep 02, 2013
2ndChance: My advise is that you please go for the MSc programme.

I have a colleague with IT background who left his job with a salary of over 600k for a Masters degree in Subsea Engineering in the UK .He was a contract staff for years with one of the Oil multinationals with no terminal benefits. The program was just for 1 year. He is back to Nigeria now and has successfully switched career from IT to Subsea Engineering. He works with one of the leading Oil and Gas firms in Nigeria now and got the job before concluding the Masters programme.

Interesting story. What I can tell you is that this is an exception rather than the norm. I studied the same course myself and I know quite a number of people that did. I have also been in the industry for a while and know how things are going. Your friend was one of the lucky/favoured few. Its not just about being smart or good here. His story is not the reason why someone else should take the same decision.

@OP. From my humble point of view, I will say you should pray to your God, take ur decision and follow it through. Some people have done and are regretting it and for some, it has been the best decision of their lives.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Coldblooded(m): 6:06pm On Sep 02, 2013
Sunny_bobo: Meanwhile, while taking advice from Nairaland, remember that Nairaland is mostly populated by 21 - 30 year olds who haven't got much experience to offer the kind if advice you are seeking here.

And you that is above 80 which adice did you give him now? undecided

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Ediss(m): 6:07pm On Sep 02, 2013
Korrection: Leaving your country to another man's'land. Dat na End time tinz na.
hahahahahahh these end time guys no go kill me o with their end time massage
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by abarry001: 6:09pm On Sep 02, 2013
UNIXLover: Hello Guys...Ok,I currently work for an IT consulting firm as an Application Development/Support.I have a total of 3 years working experience in IT and some Certifications.Now,I have always wanted to do my Masters in the Us and i have been taking some steps as regards that in the last few months.I will be writing the GRE exams in few weeks.would you guys advise i quit this Job for Msc? what are the chances of getting a job in the Us? I currently earn more than 200k In Nigeria.But anything that makes me forfeit this Msc Plans now means i will be focusing on Marriage plans Next(But i really wish i have my Msc in the Us ).

Will it be a worthwhile Move?
I am currently Looking at Msc In Information Systems/Technology.
Also,If i will be getting funding from schools(Or GA)will you guys still advise i Move?

Contributions are highly appreciated.

My advise for u is that, pray first and see the outcome, but for me based on experience, i wont advise u to quit ur job 4 masters in the US, there are no job in d US as well, and even after ur masters in the US u might wanna come back to naija for job, but i bet u, it might be very tough getting d kind of job u quit for ur masters.

that's my submission
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by UNIXLover(m): 6:13pm On Sep 02, 2013
Thank you guys... reading through even as i read for GRE at my desk in the office cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Isiterere(m): 6:17pm On Sep 02, 2013
Cold blooded: One of my cousins quit his banking job and traveled to UK for MSc....it was a success

but he is back now with us, managing a small corner of his father's shop

we r praying for him cos he is yet to secure another "good"job cry
You're so funny; your post and d signature is very funny .
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by temi4fash(m): 6:24pm On Sep 02, 2013
Very inspiring tales here...

Is story d same for electrical and electronics engineerin student aspiring to do Msc in d U.S..
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by biolabee(m): 6:31pm On Sep 02, 2013
I think you should consider canada
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by emmille(m): 6:32pm On Sep 02, 2013
UNIXLover: ....
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by namis007: 7:04pm On Sep 02, 2013
Well, I d say u should write the exam,pass it and go for ur masters. Everythin in this life is all about risk. I f u don't go for ur masters now and get married, u will always feel unfufiled and would be wondering "What if I had". So take the plunge and pray for Gods favour in everythin u do. Cheers
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 02, 2013
My advice:
1) Pray for direction
2) If this is your dream then pursue it - but with wisdom (i.e do your research well) Once you've prayed, God will allow things fall into place at the right time
3) Start saving money for your upkeep and school fees (if you won't be funded). This is very important especially if you want to finish before 2 years or if you don't want to spend more than 2 years for the masters. Standard of living can be high and you'll need all you can get.
4) Consider the alternatives - online schools? - Try Athabasca University Canada. they have a very good Information Systems program but be warned, it is very intensive. I know someone that did one of their online masters and had to quit her job at a point just to focus. But it is possible to work and do this at the same time. Personally I prefer classroom learning but Athabasca is one of the best online schools and is well established.
5) Have faith - sometimes we hold on to what we think we have when we can get something better if we let go. Sometimes its not all about the masters but the experiences you get from interacting with others, being in a new place, etc. You're the one that will eventually decide but make sure you're at peace with whatever decision you make.
6) If you decide to go, don't rest on your oars. Make yourself outstanding, be the best, get involved in community, connect with your professors (yes, some of them can connect you with very good companies), connect with recruiters, attend seminars, meet people and have fun doing it.
7) Everyone's experience is different. What works for one person may not work for the other. Always encourage yourself and tell yourself that yours will be different. When others are saying it is impossible, tell yourself that it is possible and take action. It is when one starts listening to the negatives that they are paralysed into not taking action.
8 ) Trust God. I'll start and end with God. No matter what, as long as you have taken the step, trust Him and rely on Him only. Trust that He will make you excel and bring the right people your way.

If you want to come back to Nigeria, you can consider signing an agreement with your employers for a study leave. If not, when you're done, you may even start your own company consulting, training others or developing information systems or alternatively you may start connecting with other Nigerian companies back home when you know you're almost ready to leave.

I hope this helps. All the best in your decision!

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Sep 02, 2013
UNIXLover: Hello Guys...Ok,I currently work for an IT consulting firm as an Application Development/Support.I have a total of 3 years working experience in IT and some Certifications.Now,I have always wanted to do my Masters in the Us and i have been taking some steps as regards that in the last few months.I will be writing the GRE exams in few weeks.would you guys advise i quit this Job for Msc? what are the chances of getting a job in the Us? I currently earn more than 200k In Nigeria.But anything that makes me forfeit this Msc Plans now means i will be focusing on Marriage plans Next(But i really wish i have my Msc in the Us ).

Also,If i will be getting funding from schools(Or GA)will you guys still advise i Move?

Stay in Nigeria.

Grow your career and education there.

My humble opinion based on how things are today.

Good luck on your decision.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Burger01(m): 7:36pm On Sep 02, 2013
You earn 'more than 200k' and you are thinking of doing your Msc in the Us! What difference would it make if you did your MSc in naija? Why not keep your job and enrol on part-time MSc in Unilag or UI. Even if you get a job worth 200k in the states do you think you'll be happy to be away from home?. Ain't no place like home. Your current take home of 200+ is more than enough for you to marry, have a family and embark on your MSc program. US is not what you think it is... Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by bigheart2013(m): 7:45pm On Sep 02, 2013
1. If I read you correctly, the two objectives are different. Masters degree does not teach hands-on skills to get a job. As a matter of fact, all things being equal, Masters prepares people for management position...to be better managers of resources. It depends on whether your goal is to have money, or to have career growth. If the later is ur goal, then go for your masters. Masters is not about money it's about class.

2. No, you cannot work in USA with an F1 student visa. It's illegal. You can only work on campus on a part-time basis if you are lucky.

3. The course you want to study in the US is called MIS (Management Information Systems). Immigrants usually combine it with another hands-on course like Oracle Developer, or Microsoft certification. If you convert your visa to a family 2A (through marriage) and get a green card you will get a good job with the hands-on trainings (Oracle, etc) at about $60k - $90k a year, but at a higher level bc of the Masters you have.

4. If you already have a wife or fiance in Nigeria, well, that may limit your chances of converting your visa through the easiest means here, which is marriage. If you are not yet married , I'll advise you come to US as a very single person so you can be flexible and explore any options.

Finally, USA is very tough and structured. No bull-shitting here bro. The jail doors are wide-open. Leave behind a lot of things in Nigeria if you want to live happily here...All the luck!

4 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by madridsta007(m): 7:46pm On Sep 02, 2013

US? Certainly, Yes! If you don't have enough money for the US, pleassssseee don't go to the UK. Wait and raise more funds and pursue the US dream. All the best.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Davidoff2000: 7:55pm On Sep 02, 2013
Wat if he has cisco network certifications like CCNA, CCNP and the like?wat r the chances of someone getting a job in the US with these networking certifications?
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by bigheart2013(m): 8:02pm On Sep 02, 2013
Davidoff2000: Wat if he has cisco network certifications like CCNA, CCNP and the like?wat r the chances of someone getting a job in the US with these networking certifications?

It's not about certifications, only people with American passport, greencard, and special work permit can work in the USA. Those certifications can only be helpful if he has a work permit. The bottom-line is no employer will hire him without a work permit, which's why I advised him to leave his chances open, when it comes to marriage. The easiest way to convert your visa here is through marriage. There are many eligible single Nigerians who are citizens here.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by NOIBMUUL(m): 8:29pm On Sep 02, 2013

I sincerely don't think you should quit your job for MSc in the states. However, I will readily advice you to quit it to setup your own firm based on the assumption that MSc is not a criteria to successfully run an IT firm. I've a colleague that runs an IT company with just BSc and he didn't even study any IT related course. Point is some field of endeavour don't require any PG to run while it's a prerequisite for others. For example I'm already planning to quit my job for a MSc in Europe not because I'm not there yet but because I will be better positioned when I'm through (e.g. the course comes with a 6-month internship with a reputable international organization). So the bottom line is this, if you feel comfy that the MSc will better position you, then go ahead with it but keep your eyes fixed on your own establishment.

Well done to you and more grace to attain greater heights.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by ifegy: 8:42pm On Sep 02, 2013
Have you considered Canada? International students there have a better defined path to post-grad work and immigration than in places like the US or the UK, for instance. Plus fees are less than in either of those two other places. Might be worth a think. There is a thread on nairaland focused on those wanting to study in Canada:
https://www.nairaland.com/1229480/travelling-canada-part-4/318

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Mmalisticmma(f): 8:50pm On Sep 02, 2013
Hello Mr man, do you have and know your priority? Then follow and pursue it. Best wishes.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by ceejay80s(m): 8:59pm On Sep 02, 2013

THUNDER FIRE naija JOB, NA USA I DEY GO, OPPORTUNITY COMES BUT ONCE
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by 1forall: 9:03pm On Sep 02, 2013
My submission: Go to the US.

However, be honest and answer to yourself this: What is your motive for wanting to study in the US? Only you can answer that question.

If you see it as a prelude to emigration in the main, then plan for Canada where foreign student immigration is clearly encouraged by the government.

Anyway, whatever turns out, the major determinant of what happens is YOU. What do you really want to do? You ought to know what you really want for yourself to be able to make plans to achieve it.

That said; in my view, there 3 main possible outcomes if you go to the US. One is that you return to your current job with a MSc. If you handle the people aspect of your current job well enough before and after you go, maybe you'll get more responsibility, or a promotion, or a raise immediately you return; or if you're required to prove yourself, after a while. That won't be too bad a result considering you would have gained the international exposure which I presume you want.

Another possible outcome is that you stay back in the US after your course and have to struggle to find your own footing in career and financial terms. You can persist till you eventually break through, or give up and return to create the first scenario under probably less favorable circumstances.

The third is that you get yourself a good job in good time and start a professional life in the US.

I'd like to believe you would be interested in giving professional life in the US a shot so would advise from that position. An easy mistake for a (foreigner) student to make is to not plan adequately for life after school. Don't fall into that category of foreign students.

Also, a potential challenge is your adaptability. Are you prepared to adjust to the different way of living? Will you react to the adjustment positively or negatively?

Another thing I ought to point out is the generic nature of the course you're proposing to study. It's one issues with many of these 'commercial' MSc courses. Yes it sounds good but it's a bit too broad to present you as an absolute necessity to an employer. If you want to take that chance with jobs, fine, but if not please look for something more specific that will equip you with in-demand skills. Software development is in growing demand (ignore the pessimists), big data is on the rise and cloud explosion is about to begin - you have options! Consider this very important.

However, underpinning all of these is your immigration status. Without the right to work, all the above about working in the US is USELESS. So, you have to give good thought to getting papers. The US is soon going to pass a new immigration law to favor immigrant professionals in Science, Technology Engineering & Mathematics (STEM) fields, thus you might be able to get work authorization under the STEM scheme. However you need to research the requirements so you know what to plan for, and you should start that as soon as possible. Marriage is also an option if that floats your boat.

There are quite a lot of variables as you can see, and charting a way forward should take you back to the first question which you should answer to yourself honestly:

What is your motive for wanting to study in the US?

Good luck!

5 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by olorire2013: 9:09pm On Sep 02, 2013
Please go with d advice that A-Town offered u on this page,its d best so far.
Re: Should I Quit My Job For Masters In The Us? by Empiree: 9:27pm On Sep 02, 2013
P

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Is Enough To Live In Oshogbo / Born In UK But Living In Nigeria / Keke-marwa: The Latest Menace To The Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.