Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

Pilot Career - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pilot Career (72488 Views)

Why Become A Commercial Pilot? - Many Pilots Never Admit #11 / Will I Be Trained As A Pilot If I Join The Airforce With A Bsc In Psycology / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 7:46pm On Jul 11, 2008
@Pilot77,

are u talking about Marcus Olaleye?or Jide Adebayo?

Marcus. We were at GCI together, and we were also area neighbours growing up as kids.

You know him? I guess you work for Bristow. Safe flying.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 8:57pm On Jul 11, 2008
Its good to have more professionals and other enthusiasts joining us on the thread.

Your contributions would go a long to building a knowledge base for aspiring aviators like me.

[size=13pt]ILORIN INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE OF AVIATION[/size]
Any one with any news on how far they have gone in establishing this new flight school?

Its one of Saraki's ideas for his state. I hear they have actually started to put some physical structure on ground

I hear Virgin Nigeria is planning to set up a flying school in Lagos too. I don't have any confirmation but I hear it would be located in Ikeja.
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 1:54am On Jul 12, 2008
@Femo2000,
Thanks for all the cudoos. Its not really easy.
Am not too too close to those guys. Your case is not too bad. I think you should walk up to The DFO VN and let him know your intention. Talk to him and see if you can be considered for their cadetship. You know,you really can't tell who might help. It was like that with me, I had two sponsorship offers,NDDC and Desopadec. I had to choose one.

My people are still very much in support, infact, they give me a kind of Oviation that baffles me(as their only female pilot trainee).

When you get to VN office(int'l airport), tell them you whant to see the DFO/ C.Pilot, Tell them you are a pilot trainee. If you are given a form to fill, fill pilot,they would see you.on the other hand, enrol in a school. try to get your acceptance letter. That would explain your seriousness better. You just tell them you have a school, you could raise some amount, stuf like that, u suppose sabi how dem dey do am.

The school i enrolled with really helped me, they gave me all i needed to seek sponsor. They stood by me and kept encouraging me. I had issue with tuition increment, i told them i wont be able to afford the accomodation fee and they are offering me a place without pay, they have been nice so far.

I heard Bank PHB is into this loan Stuf for UK studies. Why dnt you enquire if they can grant you loan for ur training. You could choose a school that the period of training is short, tuition is cheap so as not to pile up intrest. you know these banks and their ways. is only an idea.

Pls keep the spirit high and always trust God. He stands for us always. Dertermination can Pave way for you.
I will see how I can assist you.

Stay cool my G. Things go beeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by pilot77(m): 6:49pm On Jul 13, 2008
Marcus is a very very good heli pilot.i respect him a lot.he's a very patient training captain.
RDV ,we could probably hook up soon .
QSY
Re: Pilot Career by ateke2(m): 12:48pm On Jul 14, 2008
@IVY4U
we are all in this together
could you tell me the school you enrolled in

pls tell us when you finally leave
so we go know how many of us still remain

over and out
Re: Pilot Career by pilot77(m): 4:42pm On Jul 14, 2008
Hi Folks.Just to let you all know that Virgin Nigeria is looking for people like you.Please grab a copy of "The Guardian" of 10/07/08.

cheers
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 5:45pm On Jul 14, 2008
Its on the career link on their website. deadline is 17th July 08.

There are also openings for Ticketing and Reservation Officers (benin) and a few others.

This is a different trend. They are making these opportunities for ab initio open to all.

Lets hope Arik and some others would follow
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 11:35pm On Jul 14, 2008
@ateke2
This is the web address www.usflightacademy.org. You enroll by filling their form A1. When you have sone that, just let me know(angel_2live4all@yahoo.com). I will mail the admission officer that you are my friend. Am happpy, we are many. Lets put heads together and see how we could help ourselves.
Did you apply for the Bristow and virgin stuf?
Tek kia.

@fem2000,
I have not meet RDV. I hope i really meet him. The guy help me well well oooooooooo.

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 1:34am On Jul 15, 2008
@Pilot77,

Marcus is a very very good heli pilot.i respect him a lot.he's a very patient training captain.
RDV ,we could probably hook up soon .

Yes he is. Give my regards to him if you see him or speak to him soon. I havent spoken to him for a while. tell him Olumide said hello. I look forward to the hook up at some point.

@IVY4U,

I have not meet RDV. I hope i really meet him. The guy help me well well oooooooooo. 

Dont worry, on the day of your first commercial flight as an airline pilot, I will be sitting proudly in row 1, with a big smile.
For now, na to face the study and flying training with full force O.  smiley
Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 1:36am On Jul 15, 2008
@ Everybody applying for the VN and Bristow sponsorships;

GOOD LUCK !
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 11:42am On Jul 17, 2008
Thanks, sir.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 12:30pm On Jul 17, 2008
Hey! I noticed NCAT Zaria (http://www.ncatz-ng.org/) has broken up their PPL Training course into two.

There is the "Private Pilot License (ground studies)" which costs about N260k

and then the "Private Pilot License Flight Training" which cost about N1.2M

Completing the ground course still means you still are not eligible for a PPL License from NCAA, but I feel you will have a stronger edge if you'd approach an airline OR apply for sponsorship (Aero, Bristow, Virgin)

I think I need to visit NCAT Zaria for myself. I need to get 1st hand info and probably advise from some of their friendly Pilots

(. . . investigating all my options)
Re: Pilot Career by pilot77(m): 1:34pm On Jul 17, 2008
wham.i'm online rite now
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 2:44pm On Jul 17, 2008
SOME SCHOOLS IN SOUTH AFRICA

43 AIR SCHOOL www.43airschool.com/

APTRAC www.aptrac.com/ (Fixed and Rotary Wings)

LANSERIA www.flylfc.com/

RAND FLIGHT ACADEMY www.randflight.co.za/

AVIATION TRAINING www.aviationtraining.co.za (Fixed and rotary)

FLIGHT TRAINING COLLEGE GEORGE http://www.flighttraining.co.za/

HELICOPTER CHARTER AND TRAINING www.helicoptercharter.co.za/

SOME USEFUL WEBSITES
www.pilotcareercentre.com

www.pprune.org/

www.askcaptainlim.com/

Any ratings for these schools from any personal experiences?
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 3:03pm On Jul 17, 2008
@IVY 4U

Your is motivation and your contributions on both threads are inspiring.

----SEE You IN THE SKIES!----
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 1:33pm On Jul 19, 2008
Don't let this thread sink down

-----Don't let it stall----
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 10:02am On Jul 21, 2008
hello house, happy to find this site, i also share the dream of being a pilot.i wrote the bristow test earlier this year when still serving(nysc), so i was skipped,for those writing thios year the formant is easy, basic maths, simple english semantics,mechanical comprehansion(gear ratio, levers et al ),and 2 essays(for us it was why i want to be a heli pilot and describing the basic priciples of flight of fixed wings and rotary wing aircraft). do not go with a fixed mind anyway, and please just relax(something i did not do),write all you know about aviation as related to the question(something i didnt do)as u cant write too much.if i get a pdf heli book from my cousin(a fresh pilot too)i might post it to does that request. i applied for virgin pilot cadet scheme too, please let up date our self regularly, one love, superboi wink
Re: Pilot Career by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 21, 2008
Happy bto find this out too, i would like to know what it takes to be a heli pilot too.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 11:50pm On Jul 23, 2008
Nice to have you guys on board

@Ericalesh
You can start by training and obtaining an HPPL from a school in the US, Uk, Ukraine or SA

NCAT I heard is planning to buy a chopper. Maybe they will start Helicopter training soon. I'm sure it will be very expensive though.

With an HPPL you could apply to Bristow or Aero and they might take U and sponsor you to obtain HCPL etc

Alternatively, you can obtain a PPL (fixed wings) in these countries and do a short conversion course to HPPL. (This is a cheaper option). you can negotiate with most of the schools so that they can tailor the programme to your specific requirements and needs.

@Superboi
I did the bristow thing earlier this year too. Reached the final stage but wasnt called up. I'm glad I got the exposure and challenge
Re: Pilot Career by shushu(f): 3:49pm On Jul 24, 2008
Thank God for nairaland.
I recently applied for pilot training at bristow and i am getting fed up of waiting.i was just saying to a friend of mine that i wish i know whether or not they(bristow) have done the selection process and then i decided to search for bristow on nairaland and i see about 3different threads on flying.i can hardly believe my eyes and my luck.
I have read through the comments here and would like to thank everyone who has contributed,it has been comforting to me.
I noticed that RDV mentioned Jide Adebayo-i happen to know his sister in law and if you are with bristow you may also know captain Oni.

i have been interested in flying for about 6years now .where havent i gone or written to ;i went to zaria,went to my local government for sponsorship,wrote to 43 air,wrote to embry riddle,wrote to another one in australia-basair,went to bellview,tried maersk air and then when i wanted to apply to bristow they were only interested in pilots with a PPL.

at that point, after trying really hard i gave up and got a regular job with hopes that i would save for a PPL-story.it was still too expensive.
i applied again recently to bristow and God i am so anxious.it feels like my last hope.if i don't get taken i'll just go and do one of those one hour helicopter jolly rides that claim to add to flight hours-i am consoling myself eii.

i am trying to keep hope alive,i am just tired.RDV,pilot77 etc if you work in bristow can u please confirm if candidates have already been chosen for the test-that would really help my state of mind.
thanks a lot.
Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 5:08pm On Jul 24, 2008
@shushu,

i have been interested in flying for about 6years now .where havent i gone or written to ;i went to zaria,went to my local government for sponsorship,wrote to 43 air,wrote to embry riddle,wrote to another one in australia-basair,went to bellview,tried maersk air and then when i wanted to apply to bristow they were only interested in pilots with a PPL.

Hang in there, and dont give up. It will happen for you one day, in Gods time. I too ended up with a regular job initially, so I can really relate to your story. But if it could happen for me, it could happen for you too.

In my experience, everybody who eventually makes it, has a story to tell about how a lot of determination, and a small bit of luck got them there. You obviously have the determination,, and the luck will come your way very soon. (If you are in Lagos, try and just visit the Bristow offices at the airport, and start networking. That usually helps)

I work for KLM, the Dutch Airline, not Bristow, and I dont know Jide adebayo, sorry, somebody else mentioned the name.

Take care, and my fingers are crossed for you

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 5:10pm On Jul 24, 2008
@shushu,

I just noticed that you are in Aberdeen. Is that correct?

Have you tried applying to Bristow over there, or Scotia?
Re: Pilot Career by shushu(f): 5:21pm On Jul 24, 2008
RDV i am in aberdeen.i applied to bristow nigeria.
thanks a lot for the encouragement
Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 5:32pm On Jul 24, 2008
@shushu

Email me - raydavecta@hotmail.com

I have a couple of suggestions for you
Re: Pilot Career by shushu(f): 5:36pm On Jul 24, 2008
i am doing that right away
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 8:02pm On Jul 24, 2008
@shushu

Nice to have U on the thread
When did U apply for Bristow?
I applied around July 2007 and I didnt hear from them till Dec 31st, 2007.
Just keep praying.

I went tru all the Bristow stages, so for anyone who needs tips, reach me on whamatix@yahoo.com. I can give you detailed advice.

Did you apply for Virgin?
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 11:39pm On Jul 24, 2008
@Wham,
Did you apply to virgin?
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 12:12am On Jul 25, 2008
@RDV
"Dont worry, on the day of your first commercial flight as an airline pilot, I will be sitting proudly in row 1, with a big smile.
For now, na to face the study and flying training with full force O."

No stress,see you there and just let me know you are there.
Re: Pilot Career by shushu(f): 8:55am On Jul 25, 2008
x
Re: Pilot Career by pilot77(m): 10:18am On Jul 25, 2008
Thank God for nairaland.
I recently applied for pilot training at bristow and i am getting fed up of waiting.i was just saying to a friend of mine that i wish i know whether or not they(bristow) have done the selection process and then i decided to search for bristow on nairaland and i see about 3different threads on flying.i can hardly believe my eyes and my luck.
I have read through the comments here and would like to thank everyone who has contributed,it has been comforting to me.
I noticed that RDV mentioned Jide Adebayo-i happen to know his sister in law and if you are with bristow you may also know captain Oni.

at that point, after trying really hard i gave up and got a regular job with hopes that i would save for a PPL-story.it was still too expensive.
i applied again recently to bristow and God i am so anxious.it feels like my last hope.if i don't get taken i'll just go and do one of those one hour helicopter jolly rides that claim to add to flight hours-i am consoling myself eii.

i am trying to keep hope alive,i am just tired.RDV,pilot77 etc if you work in bristow can u please confirm if candidates have already been chosen for the test-that would really help my state of mind.
thanks a lot.
@shushu
I'll say hang in there.I did go through the Bristow Selection Processin 2001 (i just turned 24 then)and i was selected but i had to wait for 3 years which was a very harrowing experience, In 2004,i saw an advert on the newspapers and i called up the Ops Manager who is known to Wham and i asked him what about me,he said i should call him every 3 weeks,wjich i did.Little did i know that i was digging my own pit.A few months later,the guy told me that he was dropping my name off the list as i was disturbing him.So please,just keep Calm.I know most Bristow Pilots as my Dad worked with Shell PH and i used to spend most of my time at the Heliport.But here i am today,preparing for my Professional Pilots Licence.The short of my story is that you can make it without Bristow.Trust me you can.If you are still in Aberdeen,u can take up some flying lessons durring the Spring/Summer and then apply to Aero Contrators .
You can send me ur email address and i'll mail you with some info.You truly can make it if you are determined
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 11:05am On Jul 25, 2008
@ShuShu,
I can see you are a female too.
I went thru a lot too b/4 i finanlly got myself a sponsor.Dont worry as long as you are a female keep trying, they want you out there, is just the right connection you need.
Goodluck and see you on top.

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 3:01pm On Jul 25, 2008
@shushu,

earlier, I said
In my experience, everybody who eventually makes it, has a story to tell about how a lot of determination, and a small bit of luck got them there.

, and then a few posts later, Pilot77 said
I did go through the Bristow Selection Processin 2001 (i just turned 24 then)and i was selected but i had to wait for 3 years which was a very harrowing experience, In 2004,i saw an advert on the newspapers and i called up the Ops Manager who is known to Wham and i asked him what about me,he said i should call him every 3 weeks,wjich i did.Little did i know that i was digging my own pit.A few months later,the guy told me that he was dropping my name off the list as i was disturbing him.

, and despite that setback, he sounds like he is on the verge of his breakthrough. I kid you not,, the very nature of the job means that only the most determined and focussed make it. You are not alone in your situation, and one day in future, you too will be recounting the story of how you made it despite what seems now like banging your head against a brick wall. Hang in there, and hang on to the dream.

@Pilot77

well done. Good luck with the preparations, and welcome to the "my office is in the sky" club!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Male Nigerian Nurse: Proud Of His Profession / Meet The Aliu Family Of Medical Doctors Where All 5 Sisters Are Medical Doctors / Adaobi Nwosu: Police Officer Celebrates Birthday With Stunning Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.