Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,759 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

Pilot Career - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pilot Career (72489 Views)

Why Become A Commercial Pilot? - Many Pilots Never Admit #11 / Will I Be Trained As A Pilot If I Join The Airforce With A Bsc In Psycology / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 1:14pm On Oct 13, 2008
@Kiwi

Thanks for the warning, but that I said I was anticipating using FS-X on my system doesnt necessarily mean I'm realying on it entirely as a pre-flying tool.

I am well aware of its limitations to giving U the real feel and culture of practical flying (Thanks to Pilot77 also).

Its an issue we have discussed before.
Re: Pilot Career by pilot77(m): 1:56pm On Oct 13, 2008
hey wham,
where have u been men?what's been happening to u?thanks for your sms the otherday.i aware that the situation has improved.
please let's not let this thread die.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 2:31pm On Oct 13, 2008
@Pilot77
It wont die o!
We'll keep it afloat and Alive!

I've been fine, Thanks.
Been in Abj for some weeks now.
I hope all is well with U. I'll keep ur plans in prayers.
Re: Pilot Career by Crooks(m): 8:03am On Oct 18, 2008
Hi everybody, Men am happy to meet all of u here i dis forum, Bn playin possum for a while now readin ur different postups, Enuff said, i found me a skool in Malaysia (MFA) but my 4rnd says they arent good enuff to get a wing 4rm - what do u guys fink?
Re: Pilot Career by Crooks(m): 8:13am On Oct 18, 2008
Lest i 4get MFA's tuition +accomodation & feeding all sum up to bout #1.5mn for ppl in 12wks, I s dat too good to be true or what!!
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 9:19pm On Oct 18, 2008
To be able to compare the cost we have to know what this MFA course entails.

PrivatePL? CPL? SPL? IR? ATPL? What and what?

Have u compared prices with the SA and American flying schools?
Re: Pilot Career by Crooks(m): 9:56pm On Oct 18, 2008
Like i said its basically for the ppl program, I already have compared prices wth other zones and no where did i find where one cld get d cost of ppl program + accomodation + feeding for bout #1.5mn, Besides i fink d south africans demand for much when it comes to down payment(43 air skool to be exact), Look d only reason i let dis out was to get ur opinions on MFA skool, Pls check 'em out and let me know whatchu fink, easy!!
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 5:19pm On Oct 20, 2008
@IV4U
Keep me posted.

How r u doing?
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 5:20pm On Oct 24, 2008
. . .
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 3:09pm On Oct 27, 2008
, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :d
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 8:05pm On Oct 27, 2008
Thats the way to go!

Keep the thread airborne!
                                                 !!
                                               !!!!!!
                                                 !!
                                                 !!
                                                 !!
                                     !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                 !!
                                                 !!

. . . don't Let it Stall . . .

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by adexblue(m): 12:46am On Oct 29, 2008
@ rdv
          big brother hope u no forget me,its been awhile,ow's work?u've always been my inspiration
          thank u verry very much.f/o wale wannabe
@ivy4u
         sis op u don dey read the book small small?op 2 b lucky like u somday.cheers!
Re: Pilot Career by adexblue(m): 1:00am On Oct 29, 2008
@everybody
                    etihad airways is wanting to start recruitment of cadets around the world
                     abi how una chek am?make we try our luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                     check  www.etihadairways.com then check below for cadet pilot programmes.also
                     please remeber to put your location.
@rdv
egbon mi wetin you think about this one oh?.thank u captain for being there.
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 10:54am On Oct 29, 2008
@Adexblue
Welcome onboard

I'll check out the Ethihad site.

Thanks man.
Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 12:11pm On Oct 29, 2008
@ Adexblue,

my brother, how now?

That is a very good idea you have about Etihad. They are one airline that are very proud of having so many different nationalities in their workforce. In fact, that is the basis of all their advertising. So, for them, things like work permit, nationality, passport, etc are not a problem.

The website you really need is this one:

http://careers.etihadairways.com/ehire/english/News/Description.aspx?NEWS_ID=24

(for those of you who cannot access it, I will try and paste the whole advert here later)

Read the advert very carefully, and make sure u meet all the requirements. Be careful when choosing a location for the assesment, I would suggest that you choose Abu Dabi or Jo'burg.

Good luck, and keep me informed how it progresses.
Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 12:17pm On Oct 29, 2008
so, here is the advert in full.

The method of application, and the address to apply to are on the last page:

Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 12:43pm On Oct 29, 2008
@ Crooks,

oga sir, u need to give as much info as possible in order to get good advice back. Just saying it is a "P.P.L" program is not enough. (and note that u have to write pee pee ell as P.P.L, otherwise nairaland changes it to 'people' for you grin)

If all you are interested in getting is a p.p.l, then there is not a big difference between all the flying schools in the world. They all have to teach you the same thing:

How to fly a small single engine plane, from A to B, by yourself, in good weather, without getting lost, without damaging the plane, and without killing yourself or anybody on the ground.

That is basically the p.p.l syllabus, so there is little room for variation.

If the price of the school sounds good to you, and you are sure that they can teach you in English, go for it. don't pay them any money (other than maybe a deposit) until you get there and have had a look around. Or better still, post their website address here so we can have a look.

If they don't have a website,, abeg siddon for house!  grin

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 12:51pm On Oct 29, 2008
@Ivy4u,

hope everything is going well, and ur all set.
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 11:41pm On Oct 29, 2008
@adexblue,

I dey read my books ooo. I pray you get much better luck. How you dey? hope no yawa sha?
tek kia bros. Meet ya on top. Chao.
Re: Pilot Career by IVY4U(f): 11:48pm On Oct 29, 2008
@RDV,
Everthing is fine.The books are helping. I really appreciate. Thank you.

How your office?
Re: Pilot Career by adexblue(m): 10:13am On Oct 31, 2008
@RDV
BIG BROS!!!!!!!!!!! NA WA OH!!!!!! cry i actually choosed jo'burg but how i won take reach there? another of my friend chose abuja but he hasnt received any reply yet! but i've received mine which state that i will be contacted one month b4 yhe assessment date.

@RDV
Ow's work? op ur flyin safe? ow's madam? regads to her sir.big bros i sent u a mail pls did u get it?i would love to introduce myself.

"RDV you hav vectors confirm"? over!! wink
Re: Pilot Career by adexblue(m): 10:24am On Oct 31, 2008
@wham
controller:"N748LC do not exceed 150 knots for the lear."
pilot wham:"columbia N748LC is slowing for the lear."
wats up u no wat anytime i see those aero cykorsky !! for here i go laugh jus say thats my friend , in whom i'm well plesaed."keep the fire burnin". its not far anymore bro.i go cal u. smiley
Re: Pilot Career by adexblue(m): 10:36am On Oct 31, 2008
@RDV
          captain please i get one small problem!!. in flight simulator i've this software fsflying school,before landing i capture the glideslope and localizer  and stay on it,but before landing i loose it!!.please capt. why is this so?when its rating me its me it says that i lost the glideslope before landing.abeg how will i correct this sir.because its bcomin a routine.ESE GON,EMA PE FUN WA SIR!!!!. B737-400
cry
Re: Pilot Career by superboi(m): 11:49am On Oct 31, 2008
people bristow have advertised again for their helicopter pilot training stuff, if you are intrested. the same conditions apply. all the best
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 4:09pm On Oct 31, 2008
@Bristow

They have come again!
Re: Pilot Career by adexblue(m): 7:31pm On Oct 31, 2008
@everybody
listen up all rotary wannabe's!!! every chance is an opportunity so dont be fed up
get in there and grab the stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.u can give up on me guys, send ur applications
abeg!!!!!!!.
Re: Pilot Career by pilot77(m): 12:33pm On Nov 01, 2008
@adexblue,
i'm not that much of a fixed wing fellow but i think u're missing something,probably u're applying too much power,ur pitch angle is too steep ,flaps impoperly set,etc.but read the manuals and keep trying and i'm sure u'll get it.dont give up bruv.take care.

77 wink

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 1:31pm On Nov 03, 2008
@Ivy4U,

well done. I am happy to hear that everything is on track. I dey here for you anytime, for questions and moral support too. My "Office" dey fine, not too much flying at the moment, but all that will change this month shocked, I have a very busy schedule. But sha, we will stay in touch.

@Adexblue,

I got ur email, but I did not know it was from you. I thought somebody had just mis-addressed it grin, but now I know its you, I will reply directly to you.

Jo'burg is a good choice, if u had a way to reach there. But as you no get, Abu Dhabi is a better option. Contact them and ask to change your venue to Abu Dhabi.

Now Etihad will start flying from Lagos / Abuja to Abu Dhabi next year, (see http://thenational.ae/article/20080826/BUSINESS/161483757/1057), so when you have an interview date, if u still dont have the finances to get there yourself, you can write to them explaining you have an interview with them but you cannot raise the finances to travel, but you really want to work for them,, blah, blah, blah and you are requesting permission to buy a "staff rate" ticket to get to the interview. Even if Jo'burg ends up as your venue, you can still try the same approach, because they can issue you a staff rate ticket to use on SAA.

I think that the guy who chose Abuja will be waiting a long long time, unless you guys can all get together and get enough people interested in the advert to make it worthwhile for them to do some interviews in Naija. Maybe u can start a thread here on NairaLand to see how many people have applied to them. If the number is substantial, then you can ask Etihad if they will consider making an interview venue in Naija.

Re: Flight Sim - dont worry too much about landing in Flight Sim. Most professional pilots I know cannot land any type of plane on flight sim (me, I crash every time, even in a Cessna grin). But for the ILS itself, Pilot77 is right - double check your configuration. You should be in the final landing configuration (correct flaps, correct power setting, landing gear fully down, final approach speed) by 1000 feet above ground level, at the latest. Then you can concentrate on flying the localiser and glideslope accurately. Most ILS's are 3 degree slope, and to fly 3degrees down, your rate of descent must be 5 x groundspeed - so, check your groundspeed once u are in the landing configuration, and then fly the corresponding vertical speed.

The ILS is the shape of a cone, with the apex at the ground, so as u get closer to the ground, your margin for deviations reduces a lot, and the ILS becomes more and more sensitive, so once u spot a slight deviation, correct it immediately.

Good luck, and hope that helps. grin
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 1:57pm On Nov 03, 2008
Nice one
Re: Pilot Career by wiod657: 1:32pm On Nov 05, 2008
this thread is the best thing that has happenned to nairaland oga @wham ivy allof una tooo much.
i am interested in in the bristow graduate recruitment but i dont have the flimsiest idea about flying,piloting etc i neeeeeeed your help guys what do i need to do or have urgently in order to be part of this recruitment cry this is urgent ppleeeeeeeeeeeeeese

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by RDV(m): 4:53pm On Nov 05, 2008
@wiod657

i am interested in in the bristow graduate recruitment but i don't have the flimsiest idea about flying,piloting etc ]

I don't get it. If you have no idea about piloting or flying etc, then how do you know you are "interested" in the bristow graduate recruitment? And how do you think people here will be able to help you from that starting point? It sounds like an impossible task.

Did you mean for general graduate recruitement, i.e. not to do with flying?

Flying is not something you should approach half-heartedly, just because you want a job, or any job. It requires a lot of dedication and determination, and for that reason, most people who succeed in it have a real desire and love for the job. Now if you had that, you would at least know "something" already
Re: Pilot Career by wham(m): 12:25pm On Nov 06, 2008
@wiod657
Just as RDV has said, being a pilot requires passion for the job.

Bristow's tests and Interviews have a way of testing for personal interest.

If you are really interested in being a chopper pilot with Bristow then search for the threads on "Bristow Test" on Nairaland.
There is a link to one of them on a previous page of this same topic. Just check all the pages here.

All the best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Male Nigerian Nurse: Proud Of His Profession / Meet The Aliu Family Of Medical Doctors Where All 5 Sisters Are Medical Doctors / Adaobi Nwosu: Police Officer Celebrates Birthday With Stunning Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.