Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? (5361 Views)

How Did You Start Your Business? / What Can You Start Up With N50m To Give You 25% Returns In A Month / What Business Would You Start With N150,000.00 Please? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Emmy9ite(m): 5:53pm On Sep 05, 2013
what is your take on this matter? can you start a business that is contrary to your religious beliefs even if the business is very profitable?

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by NnamdiN: 9:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
Ehm yeah. Like I have someone that is willing to send me adult toys from Asia grin I feel like I'm gonna directly/indirectly be involved in promoting immorality. I know it's a kinda immoral business line (against some religious beliefs) and I also know the se x industry is a multi billion dollar industry. I've just "graduated" and without a "job". I tried consoling myself with the fact that I'm gonna concentrate on married folks, but we all know that majority of the users of these toys are unmarried folks. (especially *u know dem na*).

Truth is, the only thing stopping me is, I do not know how and where to get customers for that ish. Plus, it's something I find difficult to explain to people. My religious beliefs won't stop me.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Kingslaw(m): 10:56pm On Sep 05, 2013
no.God first.

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Emmy9ite(m): 3:11pm On Sep 06, 2013
NnamdiN: Ehm yeah. Like I have someone that is willing to send me adult toys from Asia grin I feel like I'm gonna directly/indirectly be involved in promoting immorality. I know it's a kinda immoral business line (against some religious beliefs) and I also know the se x industry is a multi billion dollar industry. I've just "graduated" and without a "job". I tried consoling myself with the fact that I'm gonna concentrate on married folks, but we all know that majority of the users of these toys are unmarried folks. (especially *u know dem na*).

Truth is, the only thing stopping me is, I do not know how and where to get customers for that ish. Plus, it's something I find difficult to explain to people. My religious beliefs won't stop me.
I wanted to cite this as an example. It's gonna be profitable but when u look at the religious line, it's like a sin. I wonder how people in this line of business feel when they give tithes!

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Emmy9ite(m): 3:12pm On Sep 06, 2013
Kingslaw: no.God first.
Shey, Thanks!
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by desgiezd(m): 5:03pm On Sep 06, 2013
@ Topic

I will not. I hate having a feeling of guilt all the time!

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Chlbenze: 5:22pm On Sep 06, 2013
I will not brother

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by NnamdiN: 8:08pm On Sep 06, 2013
Emmy9ite: I wanted to cite this as an example. It's gonna be profitable but when u look at the religious line, it's like a sin. I wonder how people in this line of business feel when they give tithes!
that's why there's the good, the bad and the "I no send ".
If tomorrow I meet who needs a supplier, brotherly, I go supply am grin 9ja harsh
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Emmy9ite(m): 2:39am On Sep 07, 2013
NnamdiN: that's why there's the good, the bad and the "I no send ".
If tomorrow I meet who needs a supplier, brotherly, I go supply am grin 9ja harsh
I feel your plight my brother!
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by gozie701(m): 7:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
my advice to you,don't do any biz you can't do with passion and pride.Do good things,good things will come to you.

4 Likes

Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by divinebeu(f): 8:47pm On Sep 08, 2013
anything against my faith is a no go area.what is the reason for being on earth? first is to please God.pls my advice is dont go into such is wrong.God bless u

5 Likes

Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by brodalikeme(m): 12:45am On Sep 09, 2013
My faith is my guiding principle in life, so i wouldn't do anything that will run contrary to my belief. After all there are numerous legit business opportunities out there, so why should i run after one that am not comfortable with.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Emmy9ite(m): 9:15am On Sep 09, 2013
gozie701: my advice to you,don't do any biz you can't do with passion and pride.Do good things,good things will come to you.
What if I have passion for a business that leads people to sin, even if they have to make the choice?
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Emmy9ite(m): 9:16am On Sep 09, 2013
divinebeu: anything against my faith is a no go area.what is the reason for being on earth? first is to please God.pls my advice is dont go into such is wrong.God bless u
brodalikeme: My faith is my guiding principle in life, so i wouldn't do anything that will run contrary to my belief. After all there are numerous legit business opportunities out there, so why should i run after one that am not comfortable with.
Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Lilaex: 4:37pm On Sep 09, 2013
Y shud I?
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by GboyegaD(m): 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2013
NO

Once it is against my personal belief as an individual, I wouldn't do it let alone that of my faith.
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by crystalballs: 4:39pm On Sep 09, 2013
Like selling weed, Alcohol and open a brothel....very profitable but....
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Lilimax(f): 4:40pm On Sep 09, 2013
Any business contrary to my religious belief is bound to fail cos I may not give my best to
the business due to guilty conscience except I have a contrary opinion to the belief.
Afterall the Scripture says that: Happy are those that does not condemn themselves in the things they allow. smiley .
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Emmy9ite(m): 4:46pm On Sep 09, 2013
Lilimax: Any business contrary to my religious belief is bound to fail cos I may not give my best to
the business due to guity conscience except I have a contrary opinion to the belief.
Afterall the Scripture says that: Happy are those that does not condemn themselves in the things they allow. smiley .
What if someone abuses the product, will you still feel guilty? an example is codeine- it is a cough syrup but has been abused.
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by NeuroBoss(m): 4:47pm On Sep 09, 2013
Thanks OP my conscience is so sensitive that it would not even allow me do a legitimate business without meeting all conditions. I didn't do business in Camp because they said it's illegal for serving Corps Members to do so. I could have done it without being detected but that inner police wouldn't just allow me. I cannot sell alcohol, cigarrette and infact, I had to download the catalogue of contraband goods in Nigeria so I would not find myself contravening the law.
God first. He said he gives power to make wealth and does not add sorrow to it so why the scramble?

2 Likes

Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Freiburger(m): 4:50pm On Sep 09, 2013
Hell no
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by zezebabyxoxo: 4:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
Ok
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by UjSizzle(f): 4:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
Nope
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Lilimax(f): 4:53pm On Sep 09, 2013
Emmy9ite: What if someone abuses the product, will you still feel guilty just like codeine
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by rodeo0070(m): 5:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
See question o!
Ok, let me ask you this: Can you work in the Breweries(Guinness Nigeria)? Or Tobacco industry(BAT)?
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 09, 2013
crystalballs: Like selling weed, Alcohol and open a brothel....very profitable but....

You are not ready to make money..
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Wallie(m): 5:11pm On Sep 09, 2013
How bad is someone that robs the ultra rich to give to the poor? Robin Hood comes to mind here. Robin Hood probably belongs in jail but I’m sure when it comes time for his sentencing, his jail sentence will be mitigated by his “good”.

However, will you commit a moral sin to give hope to your family and friends? Can your "good" ever outweigh your "bad"?

Lastly, is selling adult toys "always" a bad thing? There are a lot of marriages that could be saved and a lot of promiscuity that could be avoided if people find a way of pleasuring themselves without the help of the next door neighbor.

It depends - that's the answer to the original question.

1 Like

Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Switup: 5:13pm On Sep 09, 2013
rodeo0070: See question o!
Ok, let me ask you this: Can you work in the Breweries(Guinness Nigeria)? Or Tobacco industry(BAT)?
as for your post.., it is a conscientious matter but a well (scripturally) trained conscience should allow you to make wise decisions

@topic...;can I start a business that is contrary to my faith
Ans: loud NO(except and otherwise when I've killed my conscience and that will be when a lizard becoms as taLl as a crocodile)PERIOD
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by Emmy9ite(m): 5:17pm On Sep 09, 2013
Lilimax:
Pardon me, I've modified it.
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by nairaland22(m): 5:18pm On Sep 09, 2013
I hope u are nt generalisin d question, coz It really depends on individuality. Som persons wudnt care as long as dey wont b a victim of circumstances. Saint Paul onced said dat NO FOOD FOR LAZY MAN, u dont expect son1 to sit at home and expect manners to fall down frm Heaven nii. But like seriously, it really doesnt care. Wat of most people who dont sell things/goods against their belief bt stil commit sins against their belief. Can u group diz two 2geda? askin dis question, wat wil b ur reply? Does d church approve d use of CONDOM? IF or not it does, as a christian can u sell CONDOM?
Re: Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith? by soulglo: 5:27pm On Sep 09, 2013
NnamdiN: Ehm yeah. Like I have someone that is willing to send me adult toys from Asia grin I feel like I'm gonna directly/indirectly be involved in promoting immorality. I know it's a kinda immoral business line (against some religious beliefs) and I also know the se x industry is a multi billion dollar industry. I've just "graduated" and without a "job". I tried consoling myself with the fact that I'm gonna concentrate on married folks, but we all know that majority of the users of these toys are unmarried folks. (especially *u know dem na*).

There is nothing wrong with selling intimacy gadgets. Many married couples enjoy using them. In fact it has saved marriages. A single girl buying it would likely be using it on herself as opposed to others who are out there sampling one penis after the other. I say go for it. As long as you are being responsible with how you market it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Cards Are Not Being Accepted By ALIBABA And ALIEXPRESS / Quality Customized Atm Card Flash Drive for your clients/staffs / BVN: How Do I Get First Bank's Approval To Change My Account Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.