Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,074 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous (10030 Views)

‘FG Owes Construction Industry Over N600 Billion’ / ASUU Rejects N600 Billion Offer / Jonathan Approves N600 Billion For Demographic Database – NPC Chairman. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Samxiulee: 8:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
The arguments for census, is majorly how to plan,budget on resources,if each states control their resources,let each of them conduct census themselves,if any states wants to count cow let them count it with their money and their resources.Fiscal federalism.
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Nobody: 8:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
Dis Guy:

Abegi those countries bought new equipment but WE the giant of Africa, We are going to INVENT ours in German Research Centers with World class researchers from China, Russia, Israel and the western world.

You have to appreciate the fact that counting people has never been done before in sub-saharan Africa- The Commander in Chief will be the honorary first individual to be 'counted' in this country with his amiable wife Dame Ebele Jonathan in the Waterside Country home in Otupke* where the international media will grace the epoch making event- they might even call some international raggae stars to attend at various region of the country to promote this census

it will be record breaking i tell ya!!

pass me the bucket
If it was possible, I would creep into my phone and creep out of some people's device and shoot them in the dead grin
Listen to this dude grin
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Ngwakwe: 8:13pm On Sep 05, 2013
Am impressed by your reply and I apologise for any adjective I used that may have offended you.

Peace

Obiagelli:
Am sorry o.
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 05, 2013
Congo

$173 million = £110.96 for 68 million people

It is assumed that Congo’s population is 67.8 million, that there is a 2.6% growth rate and an urban population of 35%. But these figures published by the United Nations Population Fund (UNPF) are ‘guesstimates’. The last population census in DRC dates back to 1984 so no one really knows.

A major obstacle to free and fair elections is the absence of reliable demographic data. According to demographer Léon de Saint Moulin, Kinshasa’s population was 9.7 million in 2010 whereas the CIA World Factbook placed it at 8.4 million (2011). When it comes to voter registration and constituency forming in a hotly contested arena like that of Kinshasa, this discrepancy is not trivial.

Census data is by its very nature sensitive: how many people live under a roof, age, sex, level of education, in some cases biometric information, etc. A reliable census is consequently based on trust. There is no guarantee that the necessary degree of trust between government and citizen currently exists in Congo to gather such comprehensive data.

The cost of a census in DRC is estimated at $173 million.

Source: http://congomasquerade..com/2012/05/population-census-drc.html
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by DisGuy: 8:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
Promhize:
If it was possible, I would creep into my phone and creep out of some people's device and shoot them in the dead grin
Listen to this dude grin

unfortunately for you mate! you'll lose your way in the digital super highway- cos this device i'm carrying was invented!! so tracing me is completely out of it- you might end up with Harry in Australia or Quinton in South Africa --hold your Vaseline mate= it might be a rough ride!!! cheesy
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 05, 2013
Is anyone still prepared to advance invidious arguments, to justify the improbable figure quoted in @OP's article, at this point?
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Nobody: 8:36pm On Sep 05, 2013
Ngwakwe: Am impressed by your reply and I apologise for any adjective I used that may have offended you.

Peace

Thanks Sir,won't happen again
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 05, 2013
eGuerrilla: Is anyone still prepared to advance invidious arguments, to justify the improbable figure quoted in @OP's article, at this point?

THE NAYS HAVE IT. gbam.
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Ngwakwe: 8:42pm On Sep 05, 2013
It's just a proposal that must be presented to both the NASS and Senate for deliberations and consequent approval.

I believe they will do justice to this proposal and never to rubber-stamp it without proper breakdown and defence for such an outrageous sum.

eGuerrilla: Is anyone still prepared to advance invidious arguments, to justify the improbable figure quoted in @OP's article, at this point?

Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Standing5(m): 8:44pm On Sep 05, 2013
What method is our NPC Going to use? Is it the normal method in addition to satelite mapping or what exactly? We need to correlate the method they plan to use before jumping into conclusion here
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Nobody: 3:42am On Sep 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: It's just a proposal that must be presented to both the NASS and Senate for deliberations and consequent approval.

I believe they will do justice to this proposal and never to rubber-stamp it without proper breakdown and defence for such an outrageous sum.

Glad to see this belated view conveys more emotional intelligence than the earlier one which marked every other commentator as a "predator".
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Lordave: 9:53am On Sep 06, 2013
If 1trillion will give us real statistics devoid of corruption, I say FG give them the money.
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by SlimShawty(f): 9:53am On Sep 06, 2013
Kanwulia: JonaDunce can always borrow from world-Bank ke!
If I call tribe na, some ijjiots will call their MAMA-NAMAS 'a bigot'!
Na so dem dey behave.

600 billion to show in transportation and healthcare, who needs INEC? grin

Who gave a HUNGRY, BIA****** REFUGEE-CORPSE this office? grin

JONADUNCE of course!!!! The BIA****** QUARTER-BRED!!!!! embarassed

Did I just read that
Dude,u r pathetic.
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: Am impressed by your reply and I apologise for any adjective I used that may have offended you.

Peace

u see urself? Simple joke, u were throwing tantrums. Was so surprised at ur reply, mayb u are new here.
Pls dnt pick at me oooo, i beg of u
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by abu12: 10:15am On Sep 06, 2013
[size=15pt]ASUU NEED N592 billion TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF EDUCATION BUT FG SAYS THEY WANT TO CRIPPLE NIJA ECONOMY [/size]
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by samuelfemo(m): 10:16am On Sep 06, 2013
We all knew that when it comes to the issue of money FG is never sincere
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Nattydonatus(m): 10:18am On Sep 06, 2013
seanet02: East man wants to use 600 billion for census.
Jaguda baba ole
. Fool, you are calling him East man now, when will people like you ever think and act straight I didn't see your foolish comment on the other thread they listed states with the highest debts. Go get a life mate !

1 Like

Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 06, 2013
nigeria get money na.na chicken change.naija worth roughly 450 billion ussd

check wikipedia
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by mfm04622: 10:27am On Sep 06, 2013
[quote author=Ngwakwe]It seems the predators have assembled to discredit Mr Festus Odumegwu as to continue the culture of census rigging and manipulations.

It will not work this time, we must get it right now or never.

Initial true census and credible national database will engulfed tangible sum of money while the subsequent ones will be cost effective.[/quot
This is not our 1st census! Aftwr the census. There was the National Id card which is like census of adult population only. After that there was a new voters register. All these are basis the next census can be built on. If China, India and Brazil with bigger land mass and larger population do census with less than $1 billion, Nigeria have no excuse to be spending over $2 billion on census
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 06, 2013
Promhize:
grin as if they want to count dead Nigerians in heaven and hell
grin
Promhize:
grin as if they want to count dead Nigerians in heaven and hell
guy u funny die...no pour san san for fg garri oh na .....na their way of eatin b that
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by omenka(m): 10:33am On Sep 06, 2013
Oh God! Please come down and help us!
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by ayobase(m): 10:34am On Sep 06, 2013
Its better they share this money among Nigerians, atleast everyone will get 4000.

That's the best way to conduct the census, "come and receive 4K to enter ur data"....SIMPLE!
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by mfm04622: 10:41am On Sep 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: It's just a proposal that must be presented to both the NASS and Senate for deliberations and consequent approval.

After the National Assembly have been given their own share will the total bill go up or down? Slash wetin? You mean you have not observed that after the executive have done their budget, the National Assembly sometime add to the amount they approve?
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 06, 2013
omenka: Oh God! Please come down and help us!
_

I dislike your kind. Oh well, you're gonna have to wait forever for god to come down and help you. Nigeria deserves everything it's getting.
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by obibanks: 10:47am On Sep 06, 2013
What Ȋ̝̊̅§ such amount required Fø̲̣̣я̅? With dat money they can give each citizen 1 billion naira with change remaining Fø̲̣̣я̅ those who wanna loot
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by Nonybb: 10:58am On Sep 06, 2013
Promhize: AUTHOR: JIDE OSUNTOKUN

The chairman of the National Population Commission (NPC), Festus Odimegwu said recently that he would need N600 billion to conduct the next census. This is at a time when the Federal Government through its act of omission or commission has shut down all state and federal universities in the country because it cannot find N87 billion being demanded by the teachers. It would not surprise me if this same Federal Government finds N600 billion to give to the census body when you cannot ride on any Nigerian road without running into huge craters and gutters. At the end of each census, we come up with spurious numbers that are not believed by anybody or believable at all. What is apparent in Nigeria is not always real, it is the case of the more you see, the less it counts. At election times, small states produce more votes than states that are much bigger and much more populous if only to get their preferred candidate elected.

Apart from the census of 1956 which put Nigeria’s population at 32 million, all other censuses have been marred by forgeries. During enumeration of people, it is not uncommon for villages to contribute money to give to enumerators in order to boost their population figures and yet we call this a census. Enumeration of any kind in Nigeria is totally without integrity. When states are asked to come up with the number of school aged children, the figures given sometimes outstrip the population of the entire state. Any exercise requiring figures in Nigeria is usually manipulated because of the financial implications of figures in Nigeria. Would it not be better to save N600 billion and just get statisticians to give us projected population of Nigeria based on a baseline of 1952 and rate of increase at 3% per year or something of that sort rather than the spurious figures bandied around dishonestly by NPC?

Nobody can swear on the figures of Nigeria’s population. Today, we are told that we are about 170 million but I do not believe it. I personally do not believe that Nigeria is more than 100 million; the remaining 70 million are ghosts as far as I am concerned. The idea of population count every 10 years should be jettisoned and replaced by population count every two decades. The money saved should be used for development of infrastructure of the country. Imagine what N600 billion can do in the development of Nigeria. Odimegwu and his NPC should be asked to go on holidays and come back 20 years after the last census and give us the chance to use the money saved to develop the country. Census is about people and about development. Arbitrary figures are of no importance whatsoever to the development of Nigeria and if we need to take the next census, we should do it scientifically by calling in experts from the UN to do area mapping of Nigeria and to point out the centres of concentration of people through settlement pattern and then project the overall population of our country. This can be done through area photography without the arduous, primitive enumeration and money guzzling system Nigeria revels in.

We know that elections are around the corner and people are looking for money for election, but we can’t be fooled all the time. The figure of N600 billion for counting Nigerians, many of whom are poor, despairing and despondent such that they would take the money rather than being counted, if given the option is outrageous. There are so many outlandish things going on at the centre in Abuja; recently, the Nigerian Space Authority or something of that sort says it is planning to send Nigerian astronauts into space by 2020. When I read this in the paper, I just laughed that what a country! And I asked myself – how is that important to the ordinary men and even to men who are not ordinary? What direct benefit will sending an astronaut into space bring to Nigeria? Are we going to reinvent the wheel?

Countries that are sending people into space are already developed and have the basic requirement of decent living for their people. Why would a country whose people still defecate in the bushes or in open space and whose people have no potable water to drink or electricity to light their homes and power their businesses, decent educational and health facilities, efficient transportation system be planning to engage in the expensive venture of space exploration when the Russians and the Americans, the two leading nations in this area are deemphasising state participation while encouraging the private sector to take over these expensive ventures?

We make fools of ourselves by pretending to be a big power when in fact we are not. We should cut our coat according to our cloth and face the reality of underdevelopment and try to overcome it. This is the challenge we face, the challenge of husbanding our resources and embarking on rapid development, transformation and industrialising our country while we still have the resources accruing from hydro-carbon exploitation. Our mono-cultural economy cannot be sustained forever and in fact cannot be sustained for too long, we have only about 30 years to transform this economy or die. Future generations of Nigeria will not forgive us if we do not embark on the process of transformation right now. Unfortunately, there is too much politicking in the land, too much talk about election in 2015 when in fact nobody knows who would be around tomorrow. We need to do the first thing first, let those who are in government right now discharge their responsibilities to the electorate, fulfil the promises on which they were elected and let the future take care of itself. Nigerians are a long-suffering people and I admire them for that and there is even wisdom in being long-suffering because revolutions do not always pan out. It is better to be long-suffering and to hope for evolutionary changes rather than wish or engineer sudden changes. But sometimes herd instincts and mob mentality can push a people to the edge of a precipice when they feel that the situation is hopeless. We are getting to this point in Nigeria where the more we spend on power generation, the less power we get. For the past 14 years, power generation in Nigeria has not increased past 4000 megawatts and yet, billions of dollars have been spent on this sector without any appreciable change in our power generation situation. Electricity generation is not rocket science, other third world countries and indeed other African countries like our neighbour Ghana have managed to stabilise their power sector to the extent that generators are not as everywhere in Ghana as they are in Nigeria. Would it not be wonderful if the present regime can tell us categorically when every home in Nigeria will have power 24 hours n for granted in most countries of the world even in countries where the frigid weather should militate against this. If we have a government that can guarantee regular supply of water and electricity, then we woulding out of the stone-age in which we have been consigned by previous administrations. The needs of Nigerians are not many and not outrageous or outlandish. What we require are basic needs for decent human living and we hope and pray that one day, a government would come that would be able to deliver on this simple needs rather than giving us outrageous budgetary figures on space exploration and demographic enumeration.

http://www.nigeriaintel.com/2013/09/05/n600-billion-census-budget-outrageous/

Personally, we cannot continue like this. FG's biting more than can chew o, all this one that Atiku, Jonathan, Obasanjo, Maku, are playing politics, thinking and acting like they own Nigeria.
I'm not Hausa but Walahi, Nigeria will be worse than Egypt and Tunisia.
TOO BORING TO MY LIKING. I CANT READ THIS PISH
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by MEILYN(m): 11:02am On Sep 06, 2013
Nigeria and Her Usual Nonsense.

FINANCIAL FREEDOM. Wow,POVERTY IS A DISEASE, GET RID OF IT FAST.

https://www.nairaland.com/1425137/earn-50k-above-month-easily
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by DonaldGenes(m): 11:07am On Sep 06, 2013
abi 'em want count goat join with this kind silly budget?
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by TonySpike: 11:09am On Sep 06, 2013
Sam xiu lee: The arguments for census, is majorly how to plan,budget on resources,if each states control their resources,let each of them conduct census themselves,if any states wants to count cow let them count it with their money and their resources.Fiscal federalism.

Guy you make sense die!
Afterall, any state with large population will not rely on Federal handouts when autonomy is given to regions/province. If you have your population, cater for it with your money...
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by chuckdelis: 11:11am On Sep 06, 2013
N600b for census?omoh ASUU sori ooh.census ccomission wan cut dem own cake since na once in 10 yrs.
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by DonaldGenes(m): 11:12am On Sep 06, 2013
That man should be docked for asking such ludicrous amount____if you agree with me "click like "
Re: N600 Billion Census Budget Outrageous by ninja4life(m): 11:31am On Sep 06, 2013
Dis Guy:

Abegi those countries bought new equipment but WE the giant of Africa, We are going to INVENT ours in German Research Centers with World class researchers from China, Russia, Israel and the western world.

You have to appreciate the fact that counting people has never been done before in sub-saharan Africa; In fact research from Nsukka has shown that western countries dont get it right-they guess! The Commander in Chief will be the honorary first individual to be 'counted' in this country with his amiable wife Dame Ebele Jonathan in the Waterside Country home in Otupke* where the international media will grace the epoch making event- they might even call some international raggae stars to attend at various region of the country to promote this census

it will be record breaking i tell ya!!

In some countries will come and learn from us

pass me the bucket
lmao dis really got me roflmao

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wike Launches Urban Water Sector Reform - Photos / SERAP Sues Buhari For Failure To Order Ganduje’s Probe / Kaduna Inland Dry Port Records Import Cargo Throughput Of 2,318 Teus In 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.