Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,251 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

How Do I Control My Jealousy - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Control My Jealousy (1901 Views)

How Do I Control My Emotions / When Envy Strikes: How To Put Jealousy To Good Use / Father In-law Want To Control My Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Control My Jealousy by janiebravo(f): 1:18pm On Sep 06, 2013
Hello everyone,

please I'm in need of some advice or tips on how to put my jealousy in check. I get really jealous when i see comments on my fiance's pictures and facebook wall, I get jealous when he tells me of his past relationships, i get jealous even just thinking about how we would be married and other women would be all over him. He is a very attractive man and he's the type to be popular whereever he is because of his pleasant personality. Although i am not bad looking either as i used to be a model, I don't know why i feel this way and i feel it could be a problem for us. I had been single for long time only being in causal relationships so it was easy to just ignore a guy and not be jealous about them but this time i cant ignore how i feel.

Please any advice on how to control this strong feeling of jealous would really help. i am the type of person to keep things bottled up and i know that could be very disastrous in future. I tried talking with him but i still did not feel any better, he put up a picture recently and within a few minutes there were 20likes already and comments from the ladies,he assured me that they didnt mean anything to him, even promised to stop updating his page. I do not want to stop him from being himself. Please what is my problem??

Sorry for the long story!
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by bellong: 1:21pm On Sep 06, 2013
Read this blog for a start..

http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/relationship_jealousy.html

Pray that God help you deal with the issue.
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by biolabee(m): 1:27pm On Sep 06, 2013
you better keep calm before u get high bp...

focus on your relationship and your love// let him know your concerns but dont be overly manipulative

enjoy your relationship..
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by riskit33: 2:45pm On Sep 06, 2013
First of all, you need to realise that the problem is completely with you and not him. So here's my advice;
*Never make him pay for something he's innocent of, so show maturity and discretion in your relationship with him.
*Get yourself engaged with useful materials that focus on how to overcome low self-esteem and work on your self-worth.
*Consciously push out thoughts of jealously and replace them with thoughts of gratitude to God for giving you such an attractive man and the priviledge to be his ONLY woman among all others and be grateful and happy that you are.

I wish you the best.
Have fun!
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 06, 2013
Lol, I really don't know what to say.
I think you should give yourself a pep talk when you have such feelings. Try to see it as one of those things.
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by Harbyhordun: 4:15pm On Sep 06, 2013
You are half way through to the path of jealousy -free since you know that it's an unfounded feeling. All that remains is for you to remind yourself of this fact each time it creeps in on you and you will be finebefore long. Also, try and get really busy with your life to leave as little room as possible for unnecessary headache.

Goodluck.
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by janiebravo(f): 4:38pm On Sep 06, 2013
@bellong
thank you for the link.

and thanks to everyone for your replies. I do not think it is a low self esteem issue in this case,i think it is more of the "men will always cheat" fear especially in these days of our ladies having no qualms about running after someone else's man.

I'm a worrier by nature. But i am trying now to let go, do my part and trust God. I haven't felt this way in a long time, i really need to enjoy it. smiley

Thank you.
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 06, 2013
Do you get attention from the opposite gender as much as your man gets from the female folks??

If yes, just explain to yourself that the attention he gets is like the one you do and it's never going to be acted on. Unless of course, you trust your ability to handle the attention you get and do not trust that your man can handle the attention properly without falling for it. (Then the issue here will be trust)

If no, then you are probably just insecure. Unsure that you're good enough for him or doubtful that he would meet a girl that is more beautiful and dump you. (Then your issue here is insecurity)
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by bellong: 4:45pm On Sep 06, 2013
janiebravo:

[b]i think it is more of the "men will always cheat" fear [/b]especially in these days of our ladies having no qualms about running after someone else's man.

I'm a worrier by nature. But i am trying now to let go, do my part and trust God. I haven't felt this way in a long time, i really need to enjoy it. smiley

Thank you.

Flush the bolded completely out of your system, please. Its a fallacy of generalization.
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by janiebravo(f): 4:55pm On Sep 06, 2013
Thank you bellong

@wu-zetian
yes i do get a lot of attention myself but i have no intention of acting on it, it worries him too as most times we have to be apart because of his business but he understands when i try to assure him but its difficult for me to understand as well when he does assure me. now that you mentioned it i think it may be a trust issue because i do not know if he can handle all that attention, i would have to work on that too.

Thanks!
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 06, 2013
riskit33: First of all, you need to realise that the problem is completely with you and not him. So here's my advice;
*Never make him pay for something he's innocent of, so show maturity and discretion in your relationship with him.
*Get yourself engaged with useful materials that focus on how to overcome low self-esteem and work on your self-worth.
*Consciously push out thoughts of jealously and replace them with thoughts of gratitude to God for giving you such an attractive man and the priviledge to be his ONLY woman among all others and be grateful and happy that you are.

I wish you the best.
Have fun!

I like you advice however, sometimes its not that easy. I am sure poster herself does not want to be jealous. Sometimes jealousy and trust as poster later said are very related. If you trust your parter then jealousy will reduce as you know that nothing will ever come out of it. It seems your relationship is still in early stages and you guys haven't spent too much time together because of his business etc.

I will advice that you should try and build the relationship and spend more time together. When you get to know him better and have that special relationship with him then the jealous thoughts may reduce because you become more convinced about your relationship and you get to know if he can handle it. Its ok to get jealous sometimes so don't beat yourself to death. Its just a sign you love your man but dont become obsessed and start acting out your jealousy. I will advice you try build the relationship and you will discover it would gradually reduce.
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by tpia5: 10:39am On Dec 19, 2013
Well, I don't see how ladies won't come after him, since you say he's attractive and possibly enjoys the attention.
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by OXCUBA: 5:41pm On Dec 19, 2013
Op why should you be afraid? Is it only you that is in love or both of you? Are you so dependant or attach on him more than he is to you? ........* last question, na snatch you snatch your boyfriend from him babe abi you dey force yourself on dey guy? why jealously wan kill you na? OP WHAT IS MEANT TO BE IS MEANT TO BE.
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by Kanwulia: 12:04am On Dec 20, 2013
Jealousy, the evil-eyed monster, can NEVER be controlled! kiss

It is a CHARACTER FLAW!
You can't change that! kiss
Re: How Do I Control My Jealousy by sooplova(m): 2:33am On Dec 20, 2013
Get a lover

(1) (Reply)

Andrew Needs Your Advice Please / Teenage Pregnancy; Any Benefit? / Equality Between Men And Women Is Against Nature.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.