Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,331 members, 7,957,877 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:52 PM

Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? (10530 Views)

Has A Beggar Ever Scammed You? Share Your Experiences / Beggar Using A Mobile Phone In Lagos (photos) / A Corporate Beggar At Ikorodu Road (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by mployer(m): 5:34pm On Sep 12, 2013
mumumugu: I stopped giving road side beggers money. I tell them to go find work. Lets not encourage laziness. There is ability in disability.

I simply make my donation in charity homes
The roadside begger needs ur help more than the charity homes. He's hungry and homeless, u ar his closest neighbour. The charity homes already hav people taking care of them.
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by Nosgidi(m): 5:43pm On Sep 12, 2013
For what nah??
This is what i will ask him..."Am I an ATM machine?Are u a beggar?First of all,go find work"..!
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by claremont(m): 5:43pm On Sep 12, 2013
No.

I like to think that I engage in charitable activities out of my own free will and volition, I wouldn't like to think that I'm compelled to do so.
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by mployer(m): 5:47pm On Sep 12, 2013
pDude: In the past I used to but not anymore. It is my money. I worked for it so I can do as I please with it smiley
u tink so?
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 12, 2013
m-ployer:
u tink so?

I know so smiley cool
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by mployer(m): 5:51pm On Sep 12, 2013
pDude:

I know so smiley cool
u a xtian? If yes, tink again.
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by crackhouse(m): 5:52pm On Sep 12, 2013
when I see sb who is handicapped, I will help but when I see an able bodied man begging, it is a different case and I don't feel guilty about it.
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by BlackHuman(m): 5:57pm On Sep 12, 2013
Do you know these beggars sometimes earn more money in a day than some legitimate biznes men? for example if a bizman sells things like- T.v,DVD sets, Mattras, Bicycles,e.t.c. he may not sell anything throughout the whole day. meanwhile a beggar might earn something like 200-350naira per day. which means for that day, the beggar has made more money than the biznes man/woman....multiply this by 30days in a month.

Sometimes you'll see them eating correct food(s) early in the morning. when some real,legit hustlers aren't sure yet where their breakfast is gonna come from.(e.g pure water seller)....no wonder there are lots of beggars in this country. it's an "industry" that "employs" thousands.....Anyways I don't wish that i or any member of my family becomes beggar..God help us all.
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by pinkguy(m): 5:58pm On Sep 12, 2013
Yea that was before ,but now no way i cant i dont want to be sponsoring some muslim home grow taliban or boko haram

1 Like

Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 12, 2013
Have you noticed how beggers stay at bus stops or anywhere ppl drop from okada? They don't want you to keep your change angry

I hate beggers as much as I hate seeing filths on the roads, I hate most especially fulani/nigerien beggers, those ones that sit down in a corner and send their kids after you, then when the child collects money goes back to give the father?

Then there are those that attack and assult travellers in motor parks, God, I hate when I used to travel by bus and some filthy being comes near me from the window reciting his memorized begging.

If I was/am president, I would make begging illegal and imprison any offender.

For me, I feel special anger toward those that keeps the beggers in business, I must say the culprits are the muslims, they form the bulk of the beggers and the bulk of those sustaining it.

1 Like

Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by mployer(m): 6:01pm On Sep 12, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: It depends on the beggar....

I don't give out my money to the physically and mentally fit beggers, why can't they hussle like others? I got pissed yesterday when we passed a family, 'mother, father and an infant.' Parked near the robots begging money. I mean how come those people can do their business at night and a woman give birth to a child but cannot get on her feet to look for work? Work is not about education and all, as long as you can use your mind, hands and feet then you are able to put food on the table. That family sits there every morning!

Smh
The devil will alwayz give u more than enough reasons not to help the needy. Ignore him and extend ur helping hand, it pleases God.
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by Exponental(m): 6:04pm On Sep 12, 2013
I do......... It's a conscience tinz!
But I dont for women who beg with children n those who push wheel chairs around.
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by Exponental(m): 6:04pm On Sep 12, 2013
I do......... It's a conscience tinz!
But I dont for women who beg with children n those who push wheel chairs around (nonsense division of labour).
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by J0nyb0y(m): 6:06pm On Sep 12, 2013
Oildichotomy^:
I feel guilty probably when I loose the money carelessly to a conductor or a cheat.

Lol
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by J0nyb0y(m): 6:07pm On Sep 12, 2013
goldfish80: I stopped feeling guilty after i saw a "beggar" confess on a church Tv that he and his coleagues collect money from people and take it to their witches coven to intitiate them/tie down their blessings bla bla bla....
Jeez!
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Sep 12, 2013
m-ployer:
u a xtian? If yes, tink again.

The bible never said you shld feel guilty when you have but don't wanna give wink

To love your neighbor as yourself, you have to love and take care of yourself first. cheesy
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by qhiwegh(m): 6:21pm On Sep 12, 2013
No, I believe in God, so God will take care of these beggars, not I. If God wishes that they should starve, who am I do get in His way?
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by 36STATES: 6:22pm On Sep 12, 2013
Nope, I kick them in the teeth
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by ayobase(m): 6:25pm On Sep 12, 2013
J0nyb0y: I was at Ojota garage waiting for my bus to get filled when a man using crutches [Has one leg] came by, he saw that i was on phone and left.. Minutes later he came again.. I was like 'guy free me, i no get money' and he was like shey na change? I go give you change'. He later left wen i almost got angry... I was later feeling kind of guilty when he left.. So i decided to throw the question to you guys..
Do you feel guilty after refusing to give a begger money?

OP, it is like u hijacked this thread from me. I felt the same way about 4 days ago when I refused a woman alms.

"Since she is not disable, she should go start something" my thought.

But, I think I'm always feel guilty when I have the money, but wouldn't due to instant verdict. I also do feel guilty when I should have helped, but no money on me!
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by ojigbijigbi: 6:26pm On Sep 12, 2013
wen my wallet is full I dont mind.....but when owu dey blow.
....omo I no dey quick grab say na moni dem dey ask for
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 12, 2013
just once it happend
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by 3ace(m): 6:35pm On Sep 12, 2013
Somebody here who probably kicked against Lagos sending back destitutes to their home town some few weeks aback is now supporting that they shouldn't only be deported but also jailed. Talking about being sentimental.
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 12, 2013
qhiwegh: No, I believe in God, so God will take care of these beggars, not I. If God wishes that they should starve, who am I do get in His way?
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by 3ace(m): 6:38pm On Sep 12, 2013
@topic, me I no dey feel guilty especially those with full body. I also hate those of them who pester me when it is obvious I'm not ready to part with anything.
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by Pat4lyf: 6:49pm On Sep 12, 2013
I feel guilty bcoz they say some beggars are angels
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by vivaciousvivi(f): 7:16pm On Sep 12, 2013
Sometimes o! sad
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Sep 12, 2013
In Canada, HECK NO!
The government has done a good job giving them a shelter, a place to eat, and ALSO can reinstate them into working society IF THE BEGGARS WANT TO. But you will find that most of them don't even want to work.

I always tell people not to give them jack squat. The money will only go to support whatever habit put them in this situation to begin with.
HEED MY WARNING: If you are in a civilized part of the world, find out about the social systems in place. Chances are they have lots of systems to rehabilitate these folk. Don't waste your money on rubbish. It's not like you don't have better things to do with that $5 or 2 euros.

If you say you must give it, go and give it to a SHELTER. they will use it appropriately.
A coworker's friend who owns a construction company once gave one a business card when he begged for money and told him to get in touch with him if he wants to work. labourer tins. Beggar pretty much cussed out the guy and showed his true self.

DON'T GIVE MONEY TO STREET BEGGARS.
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 12, 2013
m-ployer:
The roadside begger needs ur help more than the charity homes. He's hungry and homeless, u ar his closest neighbour. The charity homes already hav people taking care of them.

You lack understanding. A charity home would manage things appropriately.
So you don't care if what you are giving to the person is just being used to smoke igbo?

It is best if the beggars go to a central place to be taken care of. A place that can make sure resources are not being abused.
Don't know about you but I don't like being a fool. Best to reduce avenues of foolishness in ones life if you can help it.

If I will give, it will be to someone who is TRYING, maybe a young person trying to make it in life, or a person who has fallen on hard times etc....not folk who beg as a profession. I reward drive and encourage when struck down, but I no longer encourage laziness.
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by queven: 7:35pm On Sep 12, 2013
Reminds me of this particular beggar I usually give money , that's how he started calling me customer anytime e sees me passing that particular street , I had to stop giving him o, make e find im customer go front ,I give wen I have sha , bt most of them nw do it for a living,which is not suppose to be so,

2 Likes

Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by zynzyn(m): 7:46pm On Sep 12, 2013
goldfish80: I stopped feeling guilty after i saw a "beggar" confess on a church Tv that he and his coleagues collect money from people and take it to their witches coven to intitiate them/tie down their blessings bla bla bla....

Be careful about any belief system that helps you justify not giving to the poor!!
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by zynzyn(m): 7:49pm On Sep 12, 2013
Remember we are all wretched sinners i.e beggars in the sight of God!
Re: Do You Feel Guilty After Refusing To Give A Beggar Money? by Omololaeni(f): 8:24pm On Sep 12, 2013
Just few days ago, a particular begger asked My baby sis 4 almas imdtly she gave him he stood up went to a phone booth, made a cal nd later went to get a sachet of regal. imagine dat. we Were al shocked.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can I Send Articles On General Topics To National Newspapers / Reps To Intervene For The Release Of Shiite Leader, Members. / If World Ends Today, Who Do You Wish To Meet In After-life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.